[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 110 KB, 900x776, epson-with-giclee.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3910666 No.3910666 [Reply] [Original]

Do you print your art? do you need to buy a dedicated printer or is are there businesses that will do so for you? what about shipping? have any of you considered releasing an art book? what if a nsfw artist wants to print their art? do people really buy this online or is it better to sell at conventions?

>> No.3910794
File: 355 KB, 1000x750, 1544540079183.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3910666
>Do you print your art?
It ain't worth printing yet
>do you need to buy a dedicated printer or is are there businesses that will do so for you?
There's printers that'll do it for you. It's tricky to get the colors right though, look up CMYK color model, it's tricky, you wanna talk about it to your local printer if you want to get it right.
>have any of you considered releasing an art book?
Possibly in the future?
>do people really buy this online or is it better to sell at conventions?
Both, if you can?

>> No.3911776

>>3910666
>>>/cgl/ artist alley thread (AA). Look at their thread sticky.
quick printer resource link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10uNmynwRn6CRc-OMqCeXmJwCNnEnd-vYi-7AQzSx74I/edit#gid=0

>> No.3911819

i used to have a ipf605, i mean, i still have, but the maintenance is too expensive. Just last year i've lost a print head, three cartridges and a maintenance cartridge, and i still don't have the money to fix it. I mean, it's not worthy the headache.

>> No.3911836
File: 984 KB, 2560x1440, 198664.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3910666
I have an Epson R2000 printer.

Pros:
+ I'm able to print off my digital work and it's actually very cool to be able to see it physically. This doesn't have much practical purpose, but it's satisfying to do.
+ Sharing prints of my digital illustrations is another interesting thing to share on social media. Sometimes I get more engagement than I would if I just shared a .JPG straight from Photoshop.
+ A high-end printer allows you to create prints and sell them. I did this once in person and I probably will never do it again, but still - it's an option.
+ Gifts / presents for family and friends is a breeze. I usually buy a cheap frame and make them an art print, which I can do right in my apartment.

Cons:
+ Proper maintenance is a necessity. Most maintenance can be avoid simply by using your printer regularly. However, if you don't, then it doesn't take long for print heads to clog up and other problems to arise.
+ Can be a source of headaches when there are issues
+ Nice paper & the proper ink is expensive. I started buying Epson inks on eBay instead of Amazon to save a fortune though.

>> No.3912525

bumpan

>> No.3912541

>>3910794
>its tricky to get the colors right
So much this, I used to work in a small print shop and we had an artist come in wanted to do prints of his watercolor he brought in, I spent probably half an hour playing with the printers color settings trying to get something that came close to the original pieces colors.

>> No.3912561

>>3912541
If the scanner and printers are profiled it should probably make it relatively easy to get a somewhat accurate output provided the printing medium supports the properties of the original artwork, say adequate Dmax and color gamut.

>> No.3912744

>>3910666
>Do you print your art?
Sometimes
>do you need to buy a dedicated printer or is are there businesses that will do so for you?
There are businesses that does it with varying quality. You could go to your local offset print shop and ask which types of material and quality they can make. They probably have some experience with artists.
>what about shipping?
Depends. If it's local and you pick it up yourself it's free. I've also ordered from places that had free shipping.
>have any of you considered releasing an art book?
Yes. I'll probably do it in the future.
>what if a nsfw artist wants to print their art?
The people at the shop will probably call you a weirdo behind your back, but as long as it's legal I doubt there will be an issue.
>do people really buy this online or is it better to sell at conventions?
No fucking clue here