[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 1.50 MB, 1233x797, 2017-12-14_05636.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3898449 No.3898449 [Reply] [Original]

I want to tell stories and I really enjoy coming up with character concepts, but for some reason I always lose interest in drawing them the minute I'm done with the design work.
Even If I come up with a design I really like, I never find myself invested in them or excited to use them for anything. Even when I have a personality in mind when I'm designing them, they always just kinda feel empty.
Am I missing something? Am I approaching the design process wrong? I see plenty of artists and writers who love their characters and make content for them constantly with no trouble at all, and I'd give anything to have that kind of passion for my original work

>> No.3898450

>>3898449
work on story telling? leave drawing aside for a little and write a little story, see how far you can go, and you will see what you lack

>> No.3898460

>>3898449
One of the key factors of character design people often overlook is storytelling and writing. Design = problem solving, a character without context just comes off a cheap and flat. Oftentimes, storytelling elements can add little details to a character design that go a long way into making them stand out and feel memorable.

For example, Harry Potter and his lightning bolt scar.

If someone were tasked with designing a boy wizard, they never would have given him such a small but significant detail. They would have gone for obvious tells of a what a WIZARD is supposed to be. This is why storytelling matters. Because you create context for all these various elements of his design to exist, which makes them significant. Ofc things like color theory, balance, and silhouette matter, but storytelling is your foundation, without it, you have nothing, just pretty decor on an empty box. Your design for a character needs to tell a story, about that person, who they are, why they have what they have. That’s what makes them interesting.