[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 6 KB, 250x231, EA498C02-45FF-4EB3-A95F-E800660FA54D.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3877185 No.3877185 [Reply] [Original]

>despite at least 3 years of practice you barely come close to anything resembling quality in a drawing, especially on paper

Is it time for me to drop “just draw” and go back to studying the basics?

>> No.3877266

Well anon, post your work. Let's see

>> No.3877270

post work post work

>> No.3877312

Ur retarted
:D

>> No.3877324

Depends on what you’re studying . If you continuously draw doodles, you’ll get doodle amount of art. It takes effort,time,skill, and lots of studying to improve.

>> No.3877325
File: 94 KB, 960x439, 1490380797798.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3877185
>op asks for help on what he's lacking in his art
>doesn't post work

>> No.3877333

>>3877185
>Is it time for me to drop “just draw” and go back to studying the basics?
Wait did you think “just draw” meant literally just drawing without thinking? kek no anon, you’re supposed to value action over theorizing, especially if thinking paralyzes you, but it doesn’t mean you shut your noggin off like some tardo

>> No.3877339
File: 241 KB, 732x633, 1547547948321.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3877333
People backpeddling from their garbage advice. Like clockwork.

"Take my advice, but not like that, retard! You're supposed to do the opposite of what my advice implies!"
There's no such thing as 'using your noggin' to beginners, because they think all there is to getting better is 'just drawing' which is literally what you retards affirm with your shit advice. Sorry you're too stupid to understand the consequences of telling people with no experience in art to just do it when they have no knowledge outside of it. They have no frame of reference.

The worst part is that the people who give this advice that are malicious in their intent are better than braindead dumbasses who can't understand cause and effect and that information doesn't come from thin air.

>> No.3877341

>>3877339
Not OP btw. Post count went up in relation to the posts.

>> No.3877345

>>3877333
You're explaining yourself why 'just draw' is completely meaningless. You're applying extensive context to an otherwise meaningless statement.
It's like some child (A beginner's knowledge is similar to that of a childs in this contex and we're assuming they have no experiences that could lead them to understanding how to exactly improve in an activity, like most of the population) asking for advice on how to swim and you tell them to just swim in order to do it. They hop in and they drown, and you pull them out and say 'xd, did u think i meant LITTERALLY JUST SWIM?? No I meant don't do that but not mindlessly.
Like, ok? Then what was the point of your initial advice if it wasn't what was asked of ou? You're here admitting that it was completely meaningless and useless. It's essentially you using some statement that only you know the meaning to (In comparison to beginners, not people who browse here regularly) and then backpeddling when the person doesn't follow the advice by reading your mind.
I honestly don't care if you don't care or don't think people are entitled to good advice, as long as you admit that this hot mess you call advice means absolutely nothing outside your little warped mind.

>> No.3877355

>>3877339
>>3877345
For the record I never told anyone “just draw”. I agree with you and have in the past posted against the fags who say it without explaining themselves

>> No.3877358

>>3877355
Oh, then I love you.

>> No.3877359

>its another episode of OP trying to disprove the "just draw" advice
yawn.use your brain and just draw

>> No.3877373

>>3877359
Same autist from the last threads here. Not this time. You know I'd admit it. I'm just saw the words 'just draw' and clicked. I won't be contributing to this thread any longer.

>> No.3877377

>>3877185
You probably didn’t draw enough

>> No.3877388

oh, it's this again lmao

>> No.3877389

>>3877388
This advace has been given long enough on ic for ppl to notice it s shit advace.

>> No.3877400

>>3877389
>for ppl to notice it s shit advace
nah is just 1 shitposter like (you).

>> No.3877533

>>3877389
Wait just for clarity what would you recommend instead?

>> No.3877543

>>3877533
I did find my own 2 forms of practice which i feels actually help in combination. but one of them is so bashed on by ic that I would eventually be called to pyw, but I just started like a month ago using this, combined with my full time stressful job, so it will take a while to see results. I would be called a beg giving bad advice. the second method gets little recognition on ic

(no, I am not talking about photobashing)

so Ill keep practicing, and starting an year or so from now on Ill make some videos, post my work, and give my blog when called a liar

I wasted so much time here trying to learn to draw that I decided to teach this place once Ive learn myself. And when I will do so half the board will call my work soulless because they are abstract dicksuckers. I am 60% sure of that

>> No.3877545

HONK HONK

>> No.3877547

>>3877545
I love this meme

>> No.3877551

>>3877543
good luck on your pointless endeavor anon.

>> No.3877553

>>3877185
You're supposed to trace and use the years of tracing over has the training wheels. The only time you take off the wheels is when you preform on a stream to an audience.

Think of yourself as a magician rather than an artist who draws and "just draw", Op. After all everything we do is considered magic to the viewer. And don't think about how long it will take to get good, think about how long it you will put into a particular magic trick to wow your crowd.

>> No.3877557

>>3877185
just draw IS one of the basics.

>> No.3877559

>>3877553
Different mindset. I like this advise, anon.

>> No.3877561
File: 11 KB, 300x100, 219.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3877185
>'Same old,Same ol...'

>> No.3877597

>>3877345
why do beginners at drawing constantly compare themselves to children? most of you are adults, I’m assuming, at least you should be. I’m not perfect at drawing but I’m not going to compare the advice given to me for free anonymously on a Sudanese underwater basket-weaving forum to a child being taught something by their parent. if you’ve lurked here long enough you should have at least already looked at the resources in the sticky and gotten your actual help there. /ic/ is mostly shitposting now because everyone is lazier than they used to be it seems, when you get an actual critique or redline it’s like a privilege. use your brain for once and don’t rely on other people here to help you, instead help yourself by, yes, actually drawing and reading books written by professionals.

>> No.3877635

>>3877597
I identify as a cute little girl, I need mommy and daddy /ic/ to spoonfeed me how to think.

>> No.3877745

If you're bad at something and want to actually get good then fucking use professional's advice. How hard is that... When you want to learn a language, how to sing or box you go to a class to get at least some basic understanding. But when it comes to drawing you walk in circles, try to learn with books on your own without success. Not to say books are useless but reading is not doing. You actually need instructions and examples, especially complete beginners need explanations on every step. If you really want to improve find a way to get some guidance from pros.

>> No.3877755

>>3877745
I think it's pretty clear the real reason is 2d is dead in the west and anyone trying to teach it is either concept artists or atelier trying to keep a tradition from schools in England and Russia. Then you have the scammers who take parroted advice and repackage it further confusing people into walking in circles.

If you want a sure way of drawing then fine art is one option, to a degree. But any path in cartooning that isn't calarts crap is long dead. This shit shouldn't be that hard to pick up unless this field really does have people in it deliberately sabotaging new people.

>> No.3878102

I actually think it’s harder for /beg/s to improve now than it was a few years ago. Not only so they have to wade through Loomis, Vilppu, etc, trying to figure out when/how/what to draw, but there’s so much more unnecessary shit out there that will be a stumbling block. Artists like moderndayjames, sycra, and sinix have confused more people than they have helped. In any previous time period they would have been told “keep your mouth shut and draw, you’re still too young to teach”. Look at all the garbage on youtube, skillshare, and udemy, imagine how many suckers are trying to draw arms with the secret “lightning bolt method”, or draw in perspective without any knowledge of form, or draw heads from imagination without any understanding of the planes and anatomy.

>> No.3878301

>>3878102
Exactly this. When I was in the 8th grade all we had online was Vilppu on TPB, some loomis books, and demonoid for some shitty gnomon dvds as old as time itself. Virtually no other resources were available and if you wanted vilppu it would take 3 to 5 days to download everything.

You either had to sponge off deviant art tutorials or make friends and learn off each other. Or art school. Or have talent right out the gate. Nobody was passing misinformation regurgitated from someone else. There where absolutely ZERO youtube art teachers. You might find Mark Crilley at the time and Sycra but that was it. Everyone else was just posting speed paints.

It was a desert back then.

>> No.3878554
File: 1.26 MB, 1373x752, Scan (6).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>only been drawing for a week
>already made it

>> No.3878574

>>3878554
WOW! It only took you a week to make this!?

>> No.3878580

>>3878554
Pretty good start. Keep at it and you'll be golden.

>> No.3878590

>>3877266
>>3877270
>>3877325
this

>> No.3878607

>>3877185
>despite at least 3 years of practice
And how often did you actually practice?
- Hours per day/week
What did you practice (perspective, ...)