[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 53 KB, 403x448, 1549786686867.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3820303 No.3820303 [Reply] [Original]

Anyone else feel like the less thought you put into a piece the better it gets? When I think about every line I start hating my work, but when I just scribble without thinking some of the drawings actually turn out good. It's like some automatic process takes over and I'm drawing with instinct instead of thought. Anyone know what I mean?

>> No.3820309

Channeling a lack of expectations is key to good art. The more you internalize theory and intuit the way something should work, the better it turns out. It's almost like performance anxiety.

There are a lot of caveats to it, in my experience. It's like being mindful of breathing without manually controlling the breath, I have to be very careful with how I guide it.

>> No.3820310

I fucking do man. I never finish drawings where I care about perspective lines and correct angles and stuff, too many calculations and drawing loses its fun and it usually looks stiff and soulless.
Just feeling the forms and drawing is the way to go.

>> No.3820313

>>3820310
Fucking around in csp or procreate with the perspective ruler turned on for a few minutes before digging in freehand is great. Keeps things loose but correct before you actually make something out of a couple lines and boxes. Really only applies to more architectural work but will spice up your backgrounds and make freehand figures easier.

>> No.3820321

>>3820303
yes in fact I always draw better being drunk but only for a short period of time
maybe if I inject *enough* vodka to be tipsy but not enough to start eating pencils...

>> No.3820340

>>3820303
less is more
i guess

>> No.3820343

>>3820303
Professional artists (like myself) always establish ideas in thumbnail format. It's quick work and you'll be able to tell if it's worth drawing or not.

>> No.3820355

>>3820303
Complete opposite for me. When I slip a bit and do something lazy I hate the results and I beat myself up over it.