[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 611 KB, 1200x1697, FFXII_Bhujerba_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3721281 No.3721281 [Reply] [Original]

>any good resources that solidified your understanding and process of rendering?

It's been years but I still haven't grasped the proper concept of rendering.

>How to properly move the cursor on the color panel going from the lightest to darkest color value?
>Does the midtone contain more chroma than direct light and shadow?
>Is the light generally more saturated than the shadow part? (been studying chinks and they often make light very desaturated but keep the shadows very high chroma)
>Also temperature shifts are literally eating my ass, I'm probably moving the hue scale in the wrong direction for some colors, aka wanting to make blue a bit cooler by pushing it down to the greens.

Mullins lectures were really useful, but I don't have the last couple parts. Help

>> No.3723501
File: 697 KB, 1787x1281, 1534787676283.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>onii-chan.. why are you not there

>> No.3723867

>>3721281

There's no real substitute for doing a lot of work, studies and finishing your pieces

Different materials and situations behave differently so you can't make any universal rules

>How to properly move the cursor on the color panel going from the lightest to darkest color value?
Most of the time you're going to move diagonally in either direction. You'd probably benefit from using a triangle color map as it compresses the space by value and helps you conceptualize it better

>Does the midtone contain more chroma than direct light and shadow?

Generally no, light and shadow is where the interesting stuff happens

>Is the light generally more saturated than the shadow part? (been studying chinks and they often make light very desaturated but keep the shadows very high chroma)

You can make interesting pieces with desaturated shadows and rich lights and vice versa. Very bright lights and highlights tend to be desaturated, with an aura of saturation

Most of the time you're going to want to saturate near the terminators of your shadows. Intense shadowy parts can make for a very interesting piece and you usually need less dark values with higher chroma, which tends to be pleasing... unless major contrast is your thing

>Also temperature shifts are literally eating my ass, I'm probably moving the hue scale in the wrong direction for some colors, aka wanting to make blue a bit cooler by pushing it down to the greens.

With temp shifts you usually desaturate if you want it to appear uniform, if it looks off you need much less chroma to "make the statement". Observe what happens to a hue when you change the opposite RGB slider, it moves into grey before it pops up on the other side of the color wheel. You can get away with a lot and pull off a lot of magic using near greys in different hues. Once you establish the color shift you can try introducing more saturation. The rules of color constancy are tricky but massively important

>> No.3724070

>>3721281
Focus on what you're painting not how.

>How to properly move the cursor on the color panel
Better ask yourself why are you moving it.
>Also temperature shifts are literally eating my ass
Same answer.Do you even know what color temperature is?Explain yourself.

>> No.3724091

>>3724070
>Focus on what you're painting not how.
this is unironically the best advice on rendering I've ever heard