[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 623 KB, 497x399, 2018-12-09 20_35_49-Window.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3714805 No.3714805 [Reply] [Original]

[Studying, Drawing, Practicing, Etc]

The flow state has always interested me. It's unfortunate that any literature I read on it is always shrouded in 1970s hippie language and existential wonder. It would be nice to get an actual account of the experience one has when they are fully concentrated on something they're either interested in doing or something they had to do such as studying for a final. So I wanted to know and understand your process to compare it to mine as I feel that I'm not focusing enough.

1.) What is going through your mind?

2.) What do you do so that your focus doesn't break?

3.) Do you really forget about the passage of time?

>> No.3714839

I only get in flow if I'm used to certain things.
>What is going through out mind?
It becomes a matter of just doing it. I start thinking in concepts and act on them instead of using words. At that point it doesn't matter if I fuck up hard, I can destroy my previous work and start again.
>What do you do so that your focus doesn't break?
I work at night, with music on
>Do you really forget about the passage of time?
Kind of. I eventually look at the clock and am like "huh, it's already been 5 hours". It kinda sucks. I wish I had the room of spirit and time.

>> No.3714843

(excuse my english)

1 - just the usual stuff you thinking about when i work. this is not some kind of mysterious force y know
2 - to use it as a momentum for making further progress. A side from deadlines and similar stuff i think your brain will get in to focus mode if you are able to make progress without pauses or interruptions > further concentrate on the thing that you re doing
3 - yeah time flies when you are 100% into doing something whether its working or playing video games everybody know that

>> No.3714927

>>3714805
1. Most of my shit comes to me from a combination of what I'm feeling at the time, themes related to that, and how to execute it into a drawing. I usually only draw when I'm in a certain mood, usually a mixture of boredom and creative spark.

2. I listen to music that reflects these feelings and themes. Sometimes a get stunted by a some that comes on that doesn't really fit.

3. I don't think about the time unless I feel tired, then I'll look at the time and contemplate going to bed. Given, I usually draw in the late hours.

>> No.3715055

>>3714805
I only experience such states without realizing it. It's only later that I notice. I cant do it on demand. My drawings are better when I'm in that state probably only because I stop being anxious or worrying about messing up.
I think most people who have talked about flow states are overselling it. Most people can experience it when concentrated on something and their sense of time fades away.

>> No.3715964

bump

>> No.3716034

>>3714805
1) Sex
2) Masturbate
3) No

>> No.3716045

>>3716034
fawk outta heyah

>> No.3716625
File: 1.87 MB, 3391x2631, 253. void.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3714805
>1.) What is going through your mind?
ideally nothing in particular. Just letting idle thoughts related to the subject or the process float into and out of mind.
>2.) What do you do so that your focus doesn't break?
idk just work a lot. Falling into flow and letting your theta brainwaves or whatever take over just happens when you're motivated and focused on what you're doing to the point that everything else stops mattering. You can't really stress about staying in a flow experience because that's a distraction itself.
>3.) Do you really forget about the passage of time?
Yeah time is just a relative thing. It doesn't really exist. When you do anything that is meditative or reflective or whatever a lot of what you're doing is causing your brain processes to loose their grasp on the confines of our understanding of linear, solar time.

We are a pocket of consciousness hurling through infinite space. Mindfulness and meditation and flow and trauma and all these things that poke holes in our perception of time are brief glimpses into the void.

>> No.3717602
File: 377 KB, 523x768, Screenshot (285).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3714805
>1.) What is going through your mind?
Historical events, future premonitions, Religion, Art History.
>2.) What do you do so that your focus doesn't break?
Alternate materials or consider the final form that the piece requires.
>3.) Do you really forget about the passage of time?
Dwelling on metaphysical space will obliterate notions of time.

>> No.3717631

>>3714805
1. Nothing
2. Nothing
3. I suppose so, but really there's nothing to it ;^)

>> No.3719378
File: 90 KB, 598x600, toad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3714805

>What is going through your mind?
I believe in improvising when I work and not exactly what I pictured in my mind. So my mind seems to be imploding with ideas and variations, style and most important is that I make sure the pattern and aesthetcis don't break.

>What do you do so that your focus doesn't break?

I mostly listen to long instrumental songs, with strong black coffee and sit in the most comfortable position (Indian Style).

>Do you really forget about the passage of time?

Paying attention to the clock is the last thing I do. You're so absorbed into it that you don't seem to care about anything else in the world other than creating something.

>> No.3719384

>>3716625
>We are a pocket of consciousness hurling through infinite space. Mindfulness and meditation and flow and trauma and all these things that poke holes in our perception of time are brief glimpses into the void
nice