[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 101 KB, 670x720, twins.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3710460 No.3710460 [Reply] [Original]

Is it beneficial to JustDraw™ even if everything you are drawing turns out garbage?

>> No.3710467

>>3710460
draw smart
thank mr.skeletal for calcium and art gains

>> No.3710499

Look at references and THEN just draw.

>> No.3710512

I don't know whether it's better to "just draw" if you're starting from zero as an adult. I "just drew" a fair bit all through childhood, so it felt natural when I started taking it seriously. Intuitively, grinding and studying all the time seems awful, but everyone's different. Find what works for you. I will say "just drawing" can be a better learning tool than direct reference if you force yourself to recall what you've seen, then draw it. That's where everything I've retained over a long period has come from. "Just draw" is also where you develop style, and it's just fun. Drawing should be fun.

>> No.3710516

absolutely, my drawings start out horribly every day but improve if i keep pushing using more effort until something decent comes out

>> No.3710630

>>3710460
Take it with a grain of salt, just drawing still needs to lead to something, if you dont get better or just used to do it wrong, it aint a help, but more of a burden. I would rather recommend to do JustGetBetterOnOneThingAtaTime than JustDraw.

>> No.3710702

Only draw if you learn something from doing it.

If you're just learning, you don't want to start going down Retard Road.

There's a reason you put a splint on a broken bone.

>> No.3711108

>>3710460
That's the best time to draw :)

>> No.3711133

>>3710460
YES! Now get to it!

>> No.3711138

>>3710460
a big revelation takes place when you realize drawing is like learning a language.

>> No.3711169

>>3710460
No you retard.
When you just draw you just repeat your mistakes and learn nothing.

Go fucking study with a book, and don't just read DO everything it says.
You'll draw later once you got good.

>> No.3711187

>>3711169

not good advice. I've seen a lot of artists fall into this trap, just reading and not doing. Drawing is all about mileage.

helps to draw from life, copy other artists etc., and not just draw comfort-zone doodles from imagination, but literally any mileage is better than just reading books and waiting until you're good to draw.

>> No.3711213

>>3711187
He says to draw from the book. I would assume he means copy the examples, while also drawing when following along the exercises they give out.
"don't just read DO everything it says" so he's saying to draw everything it says to draw
Thanks for your advice too, you are correct. More drawing is better than less

>> No.3711236

>>3711138
Please expand

>> No.3711284

>>3710460
Creepy.

>> No.3711311

>>3710460
thanks mr. skeleton for calcium and art gains

>> No.3711313

On the subject of starvation I heard that ketones improve your drawing ability. Is that true?

>> No.3711375

>>3710460
Now EVERYBODY listen up. I will tell you how you can learn to draw very fast.
Step1:
- Take a subject you want to improve.
>Example: anatomy
Remember it's important to consider that you wont be able to draw "everything" just by drawing hands all day. Or in other words by drawings hands all day your lions will still look shitty.
Step2:
-Change your material and take time with drawing.
>Use charcoal, watercolour, pencil and so on. >Don't focus on one material only
Remember that you want to learn to handle a lot of materials. If you don't like to work with pencil why bother learning it, pick the materials you like. And try to finish a drawing. That means something you would put in an Art exhibition. Work half an hour on a single piece on don't rush it.

1/2

>> No.3711383

>>3711375
Step3
-focus on fundamentals
>Line quality/ controll
>Forms
>Colour
>and so on.
Everytime you draw something you see innfront of you try to break it down to it's fundamentals in a single simple study.
Step4:
-Last step, Use reference. Don't try to draw a lion or a hand by imagination.
Remember When you draw a lion from imagination without ever looking at one, don't wonder why it looks shitty. And by repeating your mistakes you wont improve.
References doesn't mean you should copy a picture or whatever. start with your fundamentals and work from there.
>For example: You want to draw a lions paw. Start with copying a few photographs. Try to feels the form and the building blocks it's made out of. When you drew a few. Try one from imagination. a pose you haven't seen before. Build it first with blocks, cylinders, squares and so on. When you're stuck or it doesn't look right take a reference and compare. Look where your error might be and fix it. When you are done put away the reference and continue.

2/2

>> No.3711388

>>3710460
it will be beneficial for beginner but after a while you will need some help

>> No.3711418

>>3710460
Not without proper training and exercises on the fundamentals. Your dexterity may improve but your just gonna instil bad habits which will be hard to remove later on when you don't seek to educate yourself. Mileage only matters when you study the fundamentals and focus on improvemnt.

>> No.3711421

>>3711418
Ie, every master studied the fundamentals and worked extremely hard to get to where they are. Art is not meant to be easy and it is not always fun. This is a trade, a learned skill, do you think someone who just decides to become an electrician will be nearly as good as an electrician who soughtafter proper education and training?

>> No.3711485
File: 1.65 MB, 1287x1130, C837FFCA-5ADD-4357-AFFF-8A852082BF60.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3711383
In support of you advice.

>> No.3711486
File: 2.35 MB, 4032x3024, 0DE3F134-8B50-4C56-9793-25D12CE5DD53.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3711485

>> No.3711489

>>3711375
>>3711383
>>3711485
>>3711486
thanks

>> No.3711495

>>3710460
sure. just like you should keep lifting weights even tho you can only do 5 pounds. you'll eventually get better

>> No.3711501

>>3711495
Lift weights without proper knowledge and you'll do detrimental harm to your body.

>> No.3711540

Here's a trick. "Just drawing" is usually looked down upon as you using the same abilities you already have so in theory you're not improving nor learning something, right? WRONG. That's only if you do stuff you're already familiar with.

That's why everytime I want to "just draw" not getting too technical with references and shit, I draw more extreme poses I haven't done before or poses that are still complicated to me. I wouldn't learn much by drawing a character standing still facing the camera that's too basic, but what about them getting ready to kick a ball with some weird perspective or getting tackled from their left side? I don't know.
Those are things I haven't drawn and I'd have to sit there and make a mental effort rotating the body and thinking about how it reacts and foreshortening and stuff. You can look for references after you've finished doing it, you still learnt something.

>> No.3711547

>>3711540
Drawing is not just knowledge or skill it's both.
Knowledge - actually knowinng how shit works, knowing techniques, knowint the theory
Skill - ability and experience, like sucking our own dick, no science just flexibility you have to develop.

And when you just draw the best you can hope hor is to improve your hand-eye coordination that's it.
To actually improve you need to get knowledge of fundamentals as well as experience with applying it.

>> No.3711594

>>3711540
Figure drawing/ doing gesture, you learn to alter what's in front of you to fit your rhythm and composition. These exercises help you exagerate your poses. When studying anatomy of anything, generally it is best to draw from reference then draw from imagination to reinforce the knowledge you took from your reference and notice thing you did wrong. Not learning how to construct, not learning your fundamentals is just pissing in the wind hoping everything goes well. Drawing from reference is not copying, it's a tool for learning.

>> No.3713402

>>3710499
Actually, it's the other way around.
Your brain is better at spotting differences retroactivelly. So if you draw a cat and then look at a picture of a cat, you'll see your mistakes easier than if you look at a picture of a cat then draw a cat.

>> No.3713403

>>3711138
>draw later
This is why /ic/ never gets anywhere.

>> No.3713408

>>3710460
Yes, always.

It gives you the technical ability to do it, and you pick up smaller intricacies later.
Even if you're drawing nothing but garbage, you gain the ability in knowing how those lines are placed down and you naturally start adding more to it.

>> No.3713645

>>3711501
only if you lift extreme weights

>> No.3713660

>>3710460
no, its okay to think about what youre doing wrong

its not okay to stress openly about it and dump your problems on others. this is when you get told to 'just draw'

its another way of saying 'fuck off, how the hell can you expect me to help you with that.'

>> No.3713918

People who say no are just people who want to find excuses to not draw and are looking for a magic fix.

>> No.3714199

definitely agreeing that you need to spend time to copy from artbooks in order to expand your visual library. but drawing just to draw can also be relaxing/fulfilling.
art should be fulfilling/an outlet at the end, soooo.

>> No.3714229

most things look like shit for most of the time you're working on them

>> No.3714515

>>3710460
No. The worst thing you can do to learn to draw is to draw.

>> No.3714529
File: 131 KB, 548x673, fed.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just draw is always beneficial. But it depends a lot on where you are as an artist and who you are as a person.

Because I would NEVER EVER EVER tell someone that's never drawn before to start reading Bridgman or Robertson.

Drawing takes a long fucking time and needs dedication. You can't just up and dedicate yourself unless you're some freak of nature. So first one just have to find enjoyment with putting pen to paper. Do silly doodles, copy anime, draw your dog. Just have fun with it. Don't put pressure on yourself that it has to look good.

When you're somewhat comfortable with the act of drawing you could start lighter tutorials like Loomis or whatever (if you find the tutorial boring it's either too difficult or too easy, and you should try something else)
But I personally think it's more important as a beginner to really get used to the act of drawing. Try to draw a little every day.

But the most important thing for a beginner is to have fun. Because otherwise you'll get bored and quit. So don't push yourself too much and just let that shit take time.