[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 44 KB, 388x389, 1539275037197.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3695968 No.3695968 [Reply] [Original]

Why does trying to draw require so much mental fortitude? I have to withstand harsh criticism from myself and others with no reward at the end. It's really hard.

>> No.3695977

Nothing worth doing is ever easy.

>> No.3695982

that’s why you let your depression kill your ability to feel emotions. silly op

>> No.3696006

>>3695968
Draw fan art for a small community of non artists they will praise you and even if you know ita not worth anything it will make you a lil happier try a waifu threads

>> No.3696010

Don't take it too seriously, have fun with it. I don't think anything in life should be taken all that seriously. I'm not saying to not put a lot of effort or have self discipline and practice a ton. Just remember why you started to draw in the first place. Don't lead your brain get in the way of the joy of drawing.

>> No.3696022

>>3695968

Let me reverse the question, why wouldn't it? And I don't mean that in a snide shitposting way but as a genuine question

>> No.3696224
File: 208 KB, 2000x1333, mental fortitude.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3695968

>> No.3696239

>>3695968
Criticism is meant to adress the mistakes you're making, right? Constructive criticism at least. The ""reward"" would be you knowing what's wrong, correcting your mistakes and eventually drawing better. It's not a short term reward, and that's the hard part, but here's when what >>3696010 said comes in.

>> No.3696333

>>3695968
I don't know the answer to that. /ic has always been massively negative towards my art too. All those value posters, they're only here to taunt us. I think, it's that you're happy with your drawing at its completion. Keep going and ignore the derision, you'll get there.

>> No.3696347

>>3695968

Why take the criticism personally?

It doesn't make you any greater a person if you can draw well. persistence and hard work are better abilities to value yourself by. and they will eventually lead to proficient drawing anyway

>> No.3696360

>>3695968
Just accept the fact that you won’t be gud for another year and keep drawing. If you haven’t made it by then, just keep telling yourself ‘next year’

>> No.3696370

Getting shat on has definitively helped in taking things less personally and getting myself more out there.

>> No.3696401
File: 1.71 MB, 2695x3561, green hurrumph anime caricature nov 18.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3695968
> I have to withstand harsh criticism from myself and others
thats the fun part tho

>> No.3697397
File: 758 KB, 624x719, 1541775779997.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3696010
>I don't think anything in life should be taken all that seriously.
If I did that I would just shitpost on 4chan and smoke weed/eat icecream all day. I know by nature I am incredibly lazy and would like nothing more than to be lazy and never produce anything. Even if you say you don't propose not studying, in effect it is what you are proposing for people with a nature such as mine. If I didn't take this shit in the most serious manner possible, I wouldn't do anything.

>> No.3697405

>>3695968
If you're too autistic to handle criticism well, why the fuck are you doing any kind of art form.

>> No.3697757

>>3695968
You're right. You should just give up.

>> No.3697813

>>3696006
this, you can find cheerleaders

you should only care about how happy you are with your art though

if you impress good artists with your work, then you're probably doing something good

>> No.3698503
File: 8 KB, 240x240, 1542663726585.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3696224
>Cavatica stoutus
>Strong in body and powerfully built, this thick-bodied creature exudes a distinctly bold and delicious nose
????

>> No.3698685

>>3695968
give yourself permission to draw bad art.

>> No.3698739
File: 119 KB, 1080x979, cat 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3698685
Not OP but how do I do this
I'm not trying to say that is bad advice, i think it's great advice, but so many posts I see like this boil down to
>Just change yourself.
If changing yourself was that easy it would be easy to quit drugs or stop being lazy or whatever the hell.
It's like people that say
>Be process focused not result focused
But how can that be believable for me when clearly nobody actually thinks this? Nobody appreciates me for who I am, they will only do so if I have something to offer to them that they like: my own work

>> No.3698764

I like criticism and thrive on it. If I don't get any feedback I lose the urge to keep improving.

Just a /beg/inner though.

>> No.3698798
File: 2.96 MB, 3510x2905, me who 4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3698739
my strategy has always been to set out to make a mistake. Normally I'll be mulling over something I read or talked about, and see if I can intentionally make the mistake and then see if it can potentially be interesting.

And "change yourself?" You almost certainly ARE making "bad art" as it is. The difference is you're likely just choosing to do work as opposed to doing nothing and telling yourself it'd be really good if you bothered.
>Be process focused not result focused
yeah exactly. The goal is to do work. Change your focus so that doing ANYTHING is your standard for success. Just draw and so on.
>But how can that be believable for me when clearly nobody actually thinks this?
People that are productive think like this. People that are lazy tell themselves they're "perfectionists."
>Nobody appreciates me for who I am
Why should they? You know how many people there are?
> they will only do so if I have something to offer to them that they like: my own work
eh if I've learned anything from a lot of the virgins on /ic/ a lot of them will just hate you for doing more than them.

The reality is that almost everyone will NEVER "appreciate you for who you are" no matter what you do. No point giving a shit about it.

>> No.3698872

>>3698798
To be honest what I get from your post is that you agreed with me but told me to do a 180# on what I should think because I'm right. What? I mean I agree but I don't understand how this is supposed to convince me of anything new, save for this one part
>Change your focus so that doing ANYTHING is your standard for success.
But this just goes back to what I said: it's not that easy, not for me anyway
I read this so many times now about switching your focus to the process but that doesn't work, at the end of the day I keep trying to think that but the moment I look at what I'm doing I still see how it sucks. I can't just magically change that by wanting it. Can I? Maybe other people can, I don't know.

>> No.3698913

>>3698739
>how can that be believable when clearly nobody actually thinks like this
I've seen countless people driven off from /ic/ who do think like this, the irony being, I think desu a large portion of the crab bucket type here could use a dose of it. It's good to remember /ic/ can be a bombastic stilted place.
as for what
>>3698798
said, you could set out to make a mistake, or maybe try humor? If you can detach from your art long enough to make a "goof" I think it's a good indicator of your relationship with it. And I don't mean a needling, passive aggressive schadenfreude type of humor either, as that's still the wrong focus, and includes (you) in it. The focus should be defocusing from your own focus? If that makes sense.
I think the whole premise of what you're asking though is really a lifelong process. Especially the being detatched from the self(in a knowledgeable, good way) and the being able to appreciate yourself before/without egotistical "proof" so to speak, ie being a good artist. The proof will accomplish nothing, it's just a crutch that will fail you at times. Which is why I think learning to enjoy the process, and yourself/life, is the key.

>> No.3698924

the pain makes the long victory even sweeter

i hope so, at least

>> No.3699208
File: 15 KB, 500x171, bitch, you ain't kawaii.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3698913
You're not clever, you're not unique, you're a brat pining for attention by signaling how quirky and special you are. All you're doing is refusing to type like everyone else, by insisting on posting "desu" in all your posts.
You're not cute, you're the image board equivalent of a furry going
>*wags tail*

>> No.3699228

>>3695968
You just have to tell yourself to stop giving a shit. Occasionally looking at shitty art also helps by giving you a confidence boost.

You’re not the shittiest artist out there. Maybe your art is still shit, but it’s fine. You’re shit and that’s okay, because if you keep drawing you will eventually become not shit. Whenever someone shits on your artwork just think, “I already know I’m shit, you little dipshit”, and proceed to correct whatever part of the art he shat on.

Don’t give a shit. And look forward to that glorious day when you become not shit.

>> No.3699238

>>3699208
is this a copypasta now?

or are you the same person who posted it already and trying to redeem yourself by acting like it was a meme all along

>> No.3699306

>>3698913
I'm actually coming to realize this, myself, lately, and I've gotta say it's a powerful thing. Rather, it's powerful to realize it's fine to like what you make, flaws and all. And it's equally powerful to detest yourself, for not being able to draw as good as you want to.

You've gotta learn to love you, and what you do. Only then does art truly becoming rewarding/fulfilling.

>> No.3699389
File: 2.32 MB, 1763x2351, zcamera-20181128_140014.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just stop reading tutorials and looking at professional drawings for a week and focus on drawing things you like, Fanart is my best recommendation. Just have fun and don't focus on what was wrong.

Just look at this. I felt overwhelmed by tutorials and all of the shit I had to learn, so I stopped worrying and just drew whatever I wanted. It's so wrong even my non artist classmates noticed his neck was broken and face was shit, but I was proudly showing it off everywhere since I enjoy Berserk and it was my first fanart. Then I started doing more incorrect fanarts not even looking at references so the faces and clothes were barely recognizable but I had fun drawing again. After that, sure I decided to improve my work with more studies but I know I enjoy taking a pen and doodling shit I like. Go do it, reduce the criticism to 0, justify yourself saying you haven't studied the thing you wanna draw so it's fine to get details wrong.

>> No.3699961
File: 5 KB, 224x225, images.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3695968
Are you content with the idea of not amounting to anything and be considered a disappointment and a drain on your community?
I'm asking this because no matter what worthwhile thing you decide to pursue, you will encounter the same harsh criticisms and the same possibility that it will, in the end, all be for nothing.