[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 47 KB, 375x499, 5161WpgxJHL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3683415 No.3683415 [Reply] [Original]

Does anyone know any other books similar to Keys to Drawing? Books that teach you general fundamentals of drawing step-by-step?

>> No.3683489

>>3683415
I've tried looking, but they're all trash or really vague and not helpful. It's remarkable that it's 2018 and there isn't a general 'draw what you see' beginners book that's not 30 years old.

>> No.3683531
File: 112 KB, 895x1200, Bridgman_Distribution_of_the_Masses.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3683415
Bridgman's stuff helped me out a lot

>> No.3684156

There is a sequel: Key to Drawing from Imagination
I really like Burne Hogarth's books on drawing

>> No.3684178

i thought drawing on the right side of the brain was as good as this?

>> No.3684199

>>3684178
The exercises are, the main text isn't

>> No.3684217

>>3683415
What's wrong with Keys?

>> No.3684221

>>3684178
>>3684199
The text is horrible. I tried reading it and almost vomited. Probably would have started learning how to draw 3 years earlier if not for that book.

>> No.3684244

Chiming in on this thread with regards to "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain".

I went through about half of the book before giving up on it and deciding to go my way with my studies.

My issue I had with the book was this constant frustration with how the book sort of acted like everything was making sense for you, the assumption that something was clicking in your brain. I would love to quote passages from the Definitive 4th Edition, but I can't actually think of where such statements happen.

There's no problem with the exercises to some degree, but the most frustrating ones were ALWAYS the ones where you had to use a viewfinder and an erasable marker to draw something you're looking at, like your hand or a hallway.

I gave up where the book was asking me to draw someones head in profile, but I believe the kicker was checking a chapter after to see if there was anything helpful on translating light values to pencil sketching. You know, the important thing when you're fucking teaching someone to draw with pencils, paper, and an eraser.

Like, I'm not that good at drawing, and I will say that Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain did help build some confidence, but I feel that it's attempts may actually be more harm than good to the would-be artist.

It'd PROBABLY be more helpful to attend one of the five day seminars that still happen that the books writings are basically just the self-learning version of.

You'd have to see if one will be in your city or nearby in the future.

No I have no additional books to add to this topic

>> No.3684271

>>3684217
Nothing in particular, just looking out for more options

>> No.3684281

>>3683415
Get different resources for different fundamentals.

1. Not every book will work for everyone. Sometimes this particular teaching style the author tries to do just doesn't click so always have some different resources available.

2. It's better to have a book just cover one topic as it will have vastly more depth to it than if you would read a book trying to cover everything or a lot of topics.

Don't limit yourself to step by step teaching even if it's convenient. There doesn't exist that one perfect learning resource so you will have to settle for various books for a full course.

>> No.3684345

>>3684244
The difficulty with books like this is that a lot of it is training an artist into understanding how to observe, which is a prereq to being able to teach yourself. But drawing from observation is best done through example and classroom assistance, and books are naturally going to struggle to put the words down needed to show you something easiest taught one on one, in person, with demonstration. Add to that the people writing them trying to target the normie audience and you have a recipe for something unreadable.

The exercises are the point but the explanations for them make them difficult or hard to understand the reasoning behind it. But people always skip this stuff and end up getting nothing out of their studies for a year until they finally stumble on their own into that observation part clicking, so for those without a class or willing to gamble on a time waster, you're left with the best bad options.