[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 215 KB, 565x678, rich skeleton.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3681821 No.3681821 [Reply] [Original]

I don't mean to turn this into another art feels/ngmi/whatever thread, this is a legitimate question and I want to hear the opinion of other artists here who perhaps have been through this.
I stopped having fun at art. How do I have fun again so I can stop slacking off and put real mileage in?
>draw for fun for years a little every day. Not totally mindless and I do a few studies now and again but nothing serious and mostly draw whatever I want rather than what makes me improve the most.
>relaxing and fun, no rush
>decide to get good at art and draw every day and try to work out what my issues are
>i definitely improved but it feels like shit, i'm periodically depressed about my art and pressured myself into getting better quickly
>as a result I am also lazy and unfocused. I don't really look forward to art and envy people that can just draw all day like it's this wondrous thing
It just feels so bad and it's a cycle that repeats itself now. For the record, I don't think I ever stomached drawing for more than 3 hours in my entire life.
Is there any way to become more passionate/dedicated? I'm not gonna say "disciplined" because I am unsure if forcing myself to draw 8 hours a day is ever going to work if it feels bad.

>> No.3681826

>>3681821
Set a large goal and break it down to smaller more easily accomplished goals. A big reason people are so depressed these days is there is a big disparity between instant gratification and long term satisfaction. We have so many means of getting that instant gratification but it’s empty and lacks the fulfillment of achieving a long term goal.

>> No.3682000
File: 1.56 MB, 1400x933, 1523758399928.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3681821
I feel this idea of "do what you love" is a big trap that lures a lot of people into this industry for the wrong reasons. The truth is that no matter what you do, as soon as you start doing it as a job, it becomes precisely that: a job.
I guarantee that in the long term at least 85% or more of the time you spend working as an artist you won't be having fun at all. Most of the time you'll actually hate it. Drawing generic shit for others under strict deadlines is not fun. Having to pull all-nighters while sick when the deadline for the 1000th dude in armor you've been tasked with is due to next morning and you know you still need at least 8 hours to finish it is not fun. Being easily replaceable is not fun. Having to constantly look for jobs after every contract is done is not fun... I could go on forever.
Unless you're working solely on your personal projects (which is not gonna happen) you better get ready to deal with the slog.

Don't get me wrong, there are perks to working in this field such as being able to work from home; being able to dictate how much work you take if freelance, while also having the option to go for in-house positions if security is more of your thing. And if you want to become a professional artist, these should be your reasons. Sorry to say, but "fun" is not going to happen.

>I am unsure if forcing myself to draw 8 hours a day is ever going to work if it feels bad.
This is the thing, it doesn't have to feel bad. In fact, it doesn't have to feel like anything because how it feels doesn't matter, it's just something you have to do. "Oh this sketch looks bad? Big fkn deal I'll just find some ref and do it again, doesn't really matter."
Your problem is that you're investing yourself personally into your work, when in fact you should look at it as just another thing you have to do and it doesn't really matter to you personally if it's fucked because you can just erase and do it again. Your work is not a reflection of yourself.

>> No.3682026

>>3681826
Yeah I know what you mean. But I am unsure if what I should do is cut off instant gratification or the problem lies elsewhere
Keep in mind I pretty much don't do anything but sit at my pc... Either I draw or I distract myself fucking around on the internet. Other than chores or other stuff like that, I don't have other hobbies nor do I go out with friends or anything. So... Not much gratification to cut off, I mean sure I do slack off because if I wasn't I would be drawing, I just mean the problem might lie elsewhere and not stem from the gratification of browsing the web in itself which is instant VS. the long term one of drawing.
I try to have method to my learning and set myself goals though

>>3682000
>This is the thing, it doesn't have to feel bad. In fact, it doesn't have to feel like anything because how it feels doesn't matter, it's just something you have to do. "Oh this sketch looks bad? Big fkn deal I'll just find some ref and do it again, doesn't really matter."
Your problem is that you're investing yourself personally into your work, when in fact you should look at it as just another thing you have to do and it doesn't really matter to you personally if it's fucked because you can just erase and do it again. Your work is not a reflection of yourself.
I heard this so many times and I know you're right, it's just, how can I truly change my mindset to that? I'm reading into some stuff like CBT lately so I'm hoping it helps.
I just want to go back to being productive that's all. I mean, I had joined doing art all day and having fun as an ideal combination of what I'd like, but I'd really be just happy to not feel reluctant about it and just get to work for real

>> No.3682046

>>3682026
I don't think cock and balls torture will help you very much anon

>> No.3682082

>>3682026
>how can I truly change my mindset to that?
You start to consciously think about it. Next time you're drawing and you notice yourself getting depressed and feeling bad, consciously pay attention to that and shut it off. If it's getting really hard to do in a particular pic, close the pic and work on something else for a little bit.
It's all a matter of controlling expectations. Try to stop yourself from feeling really good about a pic you're doing and admiring it as well, because if you let yourself do that the next day you open it or the next time you see a great artist you might think your pic is trash and get hit really hard with depression because your previous expectation about that pic is that it was really really good. When you're liking something you're making, just think "ok in truth it probably doesn't look that good. moving on..." and keep working on it. Don't stop to admire it.

Try your hardest to keep emotional balance. You need to consciously try to suppress your feelings to not let them fluctuate between extremes whenever you notice them. It's important to avoid depression, but equally as important to avoid euphoria.

>> No.3682085

>>3682026
Don't listen to >>3682046
It worked for me

>> No.3682087

>>3681821
This is exactly the problem I've been going through since I started drawing. Although I always want to pick up a pen and draw, some days I just can't and end up procrastinating for the entire day.
However, I believe I found my problem, and as a result, my mindset has actually been changing into a more positive one - I've found myself enjoying drawing and animating more than ever.

Pretty much since I started drawing, I was in complete isolation. I didn't show my stuff to anyone irl, and the work I posted online was getting no response. A few months ago I was invited by a friend to join their group for a competition at university, and initially I declined (because that would mean coming out of my room and talking to people). But I eventually accepted the offer and spent the next 7 weeks living on campus working on a short film with the group. It was the most productive time of my life - I spent all day everyday with my teammates in the labs drawing and animating for the project. It was exhausting but I genuinely enjoyed every second of it.

In doing this competition, I realized just how important it is to get involved with others, and finding other people with the same interests as you. When you're working with others, you feed off their motivation and they feed off yours, so it's actually difficult not to want to work. You don't want to be lazy because you want live up to their expectations.

Now I'm not saying you have to be super social and get involved with people in real life (the only reason I joined the team was because my one uni friend was there). But you can do this online - join private art communities, competitions etc. and feed off of others. I was recently invited to a private animation community with many animators that I have looked up to for years. It's a bit daunting because they're all so much better than I am, but when I see them sharing their work, doodles, and studies, getting critique and discussing their stuff, its so inspiring.

>> No.3682093

>>3681821
>>3682087
Sorry, went off on a bit of a tangent. Basically, just get involved with others and use them to get better.

>> No.3682094

>>3682026
>>3682082
Just noticed I told you what to do, but not how which is what you asked lol.

With me personally, I just say to myself "it doesn't matter", and keep working whenever I catch me getting emotional. Everyone is different though so you might have to explore your options a little if that doesn't work.

>> No.3682696
File: 159 KB, 604x609, an sp wip.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3681821
I want to keep enjoying art more than I want an art job someday. So I just accept only drawing what I want, when I want, which ranges from 0 - 3 hours a day. Same logic as "I love to journal to figure myself out, but don't aspire to be a famous writer."

Your issue isn't even an art problem really. You want to have fun doing something inherently not fun: getting serious and professional with a difficult-to-learn, hard-to-ear-a-living-from skills.

>> No.3682711

>>3681821
>How do I have fun again so I can stop slacking off and put real mileage in?
You have to find the right balance. Studies are quite draining and forcing yourself to do them for extended periods is a recipe for burn out. You must treat it like a class, where you have a set period for studies and practice, no more no less. 1-2hours is honestly enough for studying daily.

Don't mistake long hours of rendering of a project for long hours of study. You can do the former relatively easily because it's using skills that you've already practiced. Study, on the other hand, is taxing and requires exertion to learn and practice something unfamiliar. You can't expect to sustain that for long periods and not feel terrible. You also need to take breaks to let what you've learned sink in.

Set a limit to your study time then set a time for drawing for fun. Expect less productivity from this time and instead focus on the enjoyment.

>> No.3682859
File: 228 KB, 540x541, yotsuba 1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3682082
>>3682094
I think this is basically the essence of the CBT method I'm looking into, getting good at self talk and stopping automatic thoughts and all that. I will try to do this as much as I can

>>3682087
>>3682093
Yeah I know what you mean. I wish I had an opportunity like that irl - I'm also a shut in but I'd force myself to go just from the thought that it will help me being more productive
I would like something of an online community but short of /ic/ I don't really know of anything of the sort. To be honest I don't even know of any other good internet sites to share work and get critique

>>3682046
>>3682085
You guys think you're smart don'tcha

>> No.3682952

>>3682000
tell me what job or skill is not easely replacable?

>> No.3682953

>>3682952
Comedians