[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 352 KB, 2500x2500, wacom_cintiq13wx_cintiq_13hd_13_interactive_945191.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3645613 No.3645613 [Reply] [Original]

What are good alternatives to Cintiqs?

and what factors should I consider when purchasing a display tablet?

>> No.3645630

Bump, I actually came here to ask opinions of this from actual tablet owners rather than top 10 lists on the web.

Help us out, family.

>> No.3645686

Huion, XP-PEN, Ugee, Parblo, Yiynova, and Artisul are the well-known alternative brands with the first two being highest on the pecking order. When shopping for pen displays, at minimum you want a 1080p display with 2048 levels of pen pressure and color accuracy.

>> No.3645690

>>3645686
the number one priority should be screen size and second color

resolution depends on the screen size and levels of pressure all are decent nowadays

>> No.3645701

>>3645690
is 16" too small?

>> No.3645751

>>3645701
I know youd like a definite answer but it depends on your personal preference. I have the Xp pen artist 16 pro and its been great.

The only issue with it was that the matte screen cover completely destroyed my experience with the tablet. The "paper" feel requires a matte cover which washes out the colour, burns your nib down in weeks and wears down in the areas most touched by your nib resulting in texture differences on the surface of the display.

I removed the cover though and its been fantastic, really great colours

>> No.3646889

Does anyone know why Wacoms are so expensive compared to other brands? what's so special about them?

>> No.3646903

Is an iPad a viable option? I mainly ask because every month at my job we have gift card drawings and this month I won the $500 Apple one. I don't really use Apple products, but I figured if an iPad is actually good for drawing on, this would be perfect.

>> No.3646914

>>3646903
speaking as someone who generally dislikes all things apple, the ipad prop+apple pencil feels AMAZING. basically zero parallax, incredibly responsive when using the app Procreate....just be sure to get a textured screen protector for some tooth.

>> No.3646969

> Be me
> Working on an old Wacom Bamboo for almost 12 years
> Learning a lot since then
> Have plans to buy an iPad Pro, future of digital art
> Have difficulties to save money
> Germany is a shitty, expensive country, where you spend nearly all your money for house/apartment, car or even going to work
> Have no family, no car and buys only crappy food
> But can not effort any kind of tablet anyway, not even the cheapest one
> Start saving money in decembre 2017
> In Septembre saved 75% of the price of the iPad
> have new job
> monthly costs of driving to working place are 250 euros
> In November, I only will have 20% of my savings
> Continue painting on Bamboo Fun, with a halfway broken pen and no support for the os
> Buy Paintstorm Studio for 25 Bucks
> Was expensive as fuck, because no money for food and shit
> Still painting in Photoshop
> Open Patreon account in January
> Hope to get a lot patrons only to buy a new tablet to be more efficient in painting
> Earns only 2 bucks a month
> Have a lot viewers and watchers anway
> Paint fetish stuff
> Suddenly get $500 the first month
> Never wanted to paint this stuff
> Stop in April
> Still want to work on paintings to buy a new tablet from it
> Life is running, like diarrhea in my shorts
> Now is 7am
> Coming to late to work
> Instead of drawing this morning, writing in 4chan
Please kill me...

>> No.3647156

>>3646969
Nice blog faggot

>> No.3647367

>>3646889
They lead the market so they can price whatever they want. Basically Apple.

>> No.3647474

>>3646969
paint festish stuff

>> No.3647477

>>3645613
don't bother getting a pen display if it's not a Wacom.

it's THE industry standard

>> No.3647482

>>3646969
Fuckin faggot get a huion.

A gay ass iToy isn't worth your money, unless you just don't know what to do with your fucking money.
You would throw it to trash once you're bored with Angry Birds anyway

>> No.3647599

>>3646969
Buy a huion, ipad pro has good apps (that are still lackluster) but it is still a waste of money, if you are still learning don´t waste your money, better wait for new gens tablets with better apps.

>> No.3647769

I wonder, what are prospects on the screen tablet technology? From an outsider, it seems the Chinese are getting better at making them, just not quite wacom level of quality. Happy with my 11yo intuos 3 but I might make the switch once they fix their screen wobbles.

>> No.3648735

is the 22hd still the most popular model in professional studios?

>> No.3648760

>>3646903
One of the main gripes with ipad is that it doesn't show your cursor size until you press down with your pencil. The hardware can't track the pencil as it hovers. Can actually be a big deal if you change your brush size often.

>> No.3648762

Basically, get the most recent Cintiq you can afford.

Wacom's shit is still levels above anyone else.

>> No.3650436

>>3645686
>Colour accuracy
is 72% rgb considered 'accurate'?
genuine question

>> No.3650444

>>3650436
LOL no
it's better than average but still not accurate

>> No.3650718

>>3647769
Non-Wacoms are on par with functionality save for lack of tilt support, using battery-powered stylus' (which are slowly phasing out), and maybe quality. However, they are catching up and there hasn't been anything innovative from Wacom yet.

>> No.3650722

>>3648735
22inch has enough real-etate to work with but it's all about comfort.

>> No.3650739

>>3650436

Not quite, but it's better than your typical screen. I don't think there are any pen displays with 100% adobe rgb on the market. The only people who have that privilege are the ones who use tablets with a dedicated monitor for photography.

>> No.3651141

>>3650739
Both the old Cintiq 22hd and the new Huion 22 pro have 72% rgb
Which is the better buy?

>> No.3651311

I'm very new to digital drawing, but I recently began using an XP Pen Artist 12. It has a smooth screen so it is weird coming from paper and pencil, but otherwise no real complaints for the price. It's a bit on the small side for drawing with your while arm. It can be had for under $220 on Amazon with a coupon code, or $200 on ebay.

>> No.3651322

>>3651141

The 22HD has held up remarkably well, especially if you're not already spoiled by the new "zero parallax" tech. Quick response, as much tilt/pressure and color range as you'll ever really need unless you're persnickety.

I've never used a Huion so I'm pretty much a Cintiq shill, but my 22HD has been fucking gold for years now. Highly recommend it, particularly if you can find a deal.

>> No.3651336

Not the OP but I'm going to buy a Huion 191 V2 soon. Do you guys have other suggestions at around the same price point?

>> No.3651339

>>3651322
Thoughts on the supposedly ‘grainy’ screen of the 22HD? I’ve asked in other threads but no response.

>> No.3651347

>>3651339
It's not that bad, only noticeable if you're really close to it or intentionally pay attention to it.

With that said, I've gone through two cintiq 22HDs already, and they've both spontaneously died on me. First one, screen just randomly stopped working, sent in for a refurb. Refurb one sat on my desk for about a year, tested once and turned it off. After that, it too doesn't turn on, or even have the standby light. Warranty only covers 1 year, they charge about 300-400 to send it in after that.

Yeah, no more Wacom shit for me.

>> No.3652080

>>3651347
were you using an hdmi adapter by chance

>> No.3652111

So, I have a 10in display tablet that's just right for me (after being on a Bamboo for 9 years ), and I have to ask; what is the point of getting a larger tablet ?

I'm pretty small as a person so like if you're 6'4" and lanky as all fuck I get it. Its about reach. But why be fun sized and get a 22"? Better dpi?

>> No.3652349

>>3652080
Was on DVI straight into the DVI port on my gpu. My other two monitors are on HDMI and display port.

>> No.3652410

>>3652111
>what is the point of getting a larger tablet ?
Try it. Grab a large drawing pad and draw big. It will feel freeing. Your lines will feel more dynamic. You'll draw from the shoulder in fuller motions. You can actually see the spacing in your work and get a better feel for proportions. I mean, why not get a bigger display if you can? A smaller one just feels so cramped.

>> No.3652438

>>3651336

For that price or less you can get an XP-PEN 22inch with built in hotkeys or any of the equivalent 22inch monitors. If you stick with that Huion monitor I suggest pairing it with an XP-PEN AC19 shortcut remote.

>> No.3652443

>>3651339
Like a matte screen protector? I never had a Cintiq but still have an old Yiynova gen 1 that I covered with a matte screen protector. Each pen stroke has bite to it like pen on paper. Great for people who hate the feeling of drawing on glass but it cuts out some sharpness and color accuracy.

>> No.3652446

I've always liked Wacom, i broke my 13hd when my.house got flooded, renovation guys binned the tablet and the receipt was too wet to read - no insurances wouldn't pay for it as i had no proof of owning one.

Hit my 4k tv with a pint of shitty water Infront of the repo men, told them to call their insurance and say they binned it just to help me out, their insurance buy into it, tell my insurance my tv went under (pulped it from the wall i to the water) they buy it

Get a new tv & wacom mobile pro 16

>> No.3652449

>>3652111
People buy bigger monitors for the limitations that come with working on a small display. I personally like working with a lot of space because I can have multiple windows with photo references right on the display while I work.

>> No.3652460

>>3652446
nice. must have been a very expensive tv tho

>> No.3652888

Don't buy Huion tablets, guys. I've had one for nearly a year now and here's some of my experience with it. Maybe I'm just inept but it doesn't seem worth it.

>Huion GT 220 V2
>bought in February, coming from a Wacom Bamboo from 2011
>ports for wires are very poorly optimized
>located on the bottom in the back so if you move the tablet, the wires take a real beating because the entire thing is pressing down on the cords forcing them to bend terribly
>had to replace the HDMI cable once already and it looks like I'll be doing it again soon
>styluses randomly stop working at times too. Longest recorded run was 45 minutes of the tablet not responding to the stylus at all. This happens quite frequently, 2 or 3 times a week some weeks, at least once a week on average
>sent videos in a complaint email to Huion and they were no help at all, told me to disable all my firewall shit and unplug the tablet and then redownload drivers
>I did that and the issue was resolved for a little while but came back after a few weeks
>sometimes when I click on something that isn't on my tablet, I'll have to minimize and bring up my art program a second time for the tablet to actually start registering my pen strokes
>at first I thought it was fine and a small issue but now it drives me mad when it happens considering how much I paid for it at the time ($650, could have had a Wacom for $50 more).
>the warranty serial number sticker thing fell off f the back after a month or so because the tablet got so hot back there
>heat doesn't affect drawing much at all but it gets super hot in the back
>first display tablet I've ever had so idk if its normal or not so mentioning it anyways

Be honest, should I get a refund while I'm still within my 1 year warranty shit? Should I just try getting the drivers again? I've got some projects in the works but I don't know if it's worth it to let more time tick away on my return.

>> No.3652910

>>3652888
Bruh time is everything. Return it and buy gear that doesn't waste your time.

>> No.3653142

Anyone have recommendations for a cheap portable tablet that works on its own and not having to connect to a PC/laptop?

>> No.3653247

>>3652888
get a refund and buy a gaomon or xp-pen

>> No.3653258

>>3653142
new regular ipad with apple pencil

>> No.3653262

>>3652888
Ive had a 191 for over a year now, its used even as a second monitor, NEET its on 18hours a day or more if i fall asleep with the pc on, never had a single issue, you either got unlucky or are doing something wrong

>> No.3653286

i like the 22hd. i've tried like 5 chinese brands that i ended up selling or returning and the accuracy is way better. but the screen quality isn't very good and its waaay too bulky for being 21.5 inches

>> No.3653315

>>3652410
>>3652449
Fair. I'm looking for a second tablet so I was contemplating getting the same one, but I found out its being made in a bigger size. Just didn't feel the need to go bigger but I may go for it.

>> No.3653316

>>3653258
I was kinda looking for something I can install photoshop or illustrator

>> No.3653654

How's the wacom companion 2?

>> No.3653697

>>3653286
>but the screen quality isn't very good
can you please elaborate? Are the chink alternatives any better in that regard

>and its waaay too bulky for being 21.5 inches
ditto

>> No.3653752

>>3653286
>its waaay too bulky for being 21.5 inches
that's what she said

>> No.3654188

>>3653697
the huion ones have terrible color maybe their newer ones like that 13 inch one aren't bad but the rest look a little better than the 22hd. it's mostly the weird antiglare they put on it. the surface of the screen is smooth glass but under it the actual lcd has a matte finish I guess. the colors are ok about average

but the accuracy is unmatched by any of the others and that's really what I bought it for.
I'd save up for a 24 pro qhd or something tho if you're going to buy it new. I got lucky and bought mine used for about $300 usd

>> No.3654265

Are any of these models wireless? I have chronic back issues and the main reason why I passed up on a Cintiq is that none of the models are wireless like my Intuos Pro is.

>> No.3654301

>>3654265
nah there's only all-in-ones like the cintiq companion and mobile studio pro which are significantly more expensive per inch

you could try the surface pro but ive heard some problems with the 2017 model not sure about 2018
or the ipad, great to draw on with no noticeable parallax, but kinda limited software wise

>> No.3654372

>>3654188
Sounds like you’re implying 22HD is still better than modern similarly sized competitors, which is fine.

Given I’m a hobbyist, I don’t think I can justify the cost of a Cintiq 24 Pro ($3000 AUD). A second hand 22HD could be half that, as long as it is still ‘good enough’, with colour that is accurate enough.

>> No.3654374

Question about resolution:
When it comes to gaming, I often hear it said that 1080p is great at 24”, 1440p is great at 27” etc.

Then I see reviews about various 21.5” art tablets bemoaning that they’re ‘only’ 1080p. Are these people just memeing the importance of 4K?

>> No.3654626

Got a 191 V2. I notice that the matte surface dims the screen a bit and diffuses the glare but doesn't eliminate it completely. Also the darks on this don't seem dark enough. Anyone else with a v2 experience this?