[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 86 KB, 699x886, serg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3586143 No.3586143 [Reply] [Original]

>If you want to improve fast, do iterations as much as you can. Don't draw mindlessly. If something is not working draw it again and again until you get it right. Refer photographs or drawings to understand the form. The point is to not ignore it and move on to a different sketch.

I Read this advice today. Is it the path to getting gud?

>> No.3586146

No

>> No.3586148

>>3586143
Sergey is probably my favorite artist. Shame he only does few paintings a year.

>> No.3586150

>>3586146
Is the anon who comments first in every thread with phrases like "draw already" "just draw" or something else with out adding any thought the same guy?

>> No.3586152

Obviously. What makes you think mindlessly scribbling doodles willl get you anywhere vs studying properly.

>> No.3586178

>>3586143
but iterations are mindless lol? its the same shit over and over again how the fuck is that not mindless

>> No.3586185

>>3586143
this is true for me

>> No.3586309

It's a good path. It requires you to problem solve and actually address issues in your art. It'll help you be more analytical.

>>3586178

The word 'iteration' generally connotes doing a SIMILAR thing but with a slight difference. When you iterate on something it's repeating the thing with a goal of improving it, not just drilling it. That requires being mindful of what you did wrong / right on the previous iteration and addressing it.

>> No.3586314

>>3586309
>doing a SIMILAR thing
yup thought so you dumb shit

>> No.3586319

>>3586143
sounds like a good way to replace your symbol drawing with more elaborate symbols

>> No.3586329

>>3586314

you sure got me, anonymous person on the internet.

>> No.3586332

>>3586178

>Definition of iteration
>1 : the action or a process of iterating or repeating: such as
>a : a procedure in which repetition of a sequence of operations yields results successively closer to a desired result

If you're getting successively closer to a desired result you're probably not doing it identically or mindlessly, retard.

>> No.3586333

>>3586178
>>3586314
>this is the type of person you share a board with
yikes

>> No.3586339

>>3586333
>>3586332
>>3586329
look at you cuties, trying your best to justify why you cant draw its sooo cute :3

>> No.3586354

>>3586339

this is the laziest shitposting I've seen in a while and we're on /ic/ so that's saying something. apply yourself anon.

>> No.3586356

>>3586339
>dragging others’ work
>hasn’t posted work

>> No.3586370

>>3586143
I fucking hate iterative drawing. Repetition helps but not as much as mindful observation.

>> No.3586416
File: 29 KB, 1024x576, maxresdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3586143
iterative learning only works for linear systems like video games. trial and error is an entirely blind process. just hammering down on a problem for the solution you want is the exact opposite of art and will lead you down a path of heavy calculation style work. dunno about others but i'd rather leave my cognition free so it can wander about my imagination and not have to aggressively calculate and measure everything.

>> No.3586419

>>3586143
sometimes. sometimes it's also the better option to move on to something new and then get back to what you couldn't do again.

>> No.3586421

>>3586339
what justification do you have to why you can't draw, fuck face?

>> No.3586422

>>3586416
but..that's not true, actors do takes, film scripts have several drafts, rehearsals are a thing for literally every performance art

it's like a core part of any creative endeavour

>> No.3586427

>>3586422
actors do takes like artists do multiple brush strokes to find the right one. any can be good, but it's more of a precision thing. they already know how to act.

scripts have drafts in the same way. paintings go through revisions but you still know how to paint. the fundamentals are there. it's more about exploration. the actual key thing being done has nothing to do with the iteration.

>> No.3586432

>>3586427
cont.

if knowledge was so easily brute forcible we could easily uncover all the secrets to reality by just running combinatoric algorithms in simulation. alas, we know this doesn't work. so um, maybe you should brush up on your computer science.

>> No.3586443

>>3586143
You are always unconsciously iterative drawing anyway, that's why there's progression between sketchbooks. Iterative drawing is just focusing on redoing and analyzing mistakes so it's a better way to practice, but sometimes a bit soul crushing.

>> No.3586498

>>3586416
I think you're being way to harsh on iterative drawing and missing the point. You wouldn't say to someone in the /beg/ thread that their problem is they're not creative enough-- what they need is to redraw what they drew, again and again, to refine it into something not only presentable, but closer to what they intended to draw.
>>3586427
>scripts have drafts in the same way. paintings go through revisions but you still know how to paint. the fundamentals are there. it's more about exploration. the actual key thing being done has nothing to do with the iteration.
But what does this have to do with getting gud? If the fundamentals aren't there, if you don't know how to paint, then isn't iterative drawing the manner in which you get there?

>> No.3586517

>>3586498
apart from learning how to render a sphere nearly everything in art is counter intuitive. if you are so beginner that doing the same piece twice produces meaningful results then doing much of anything is going to be just as productive as well.

>> No.3586528

>>3586517
For someone trying to draw the figure then, what would you recommend? Gesture and form exercises? Your advice seems very abstract and thus harder to recommend than just "draw it again but better"

>> No.3586542

>>3586528
if you don't know the person really well the only thing you *can* provide for other people is abstract. just telling people to do x and expect y is so completely misguided it almost seems like a perversion, or maybe just a thing that works among like-minded people.

i dunno what you're expecting to hear. try stuff. share your thoughts on what does or doesn't work. realize not everything should work the same way for you. acknowledge your place in the universe.

>> No.3586554

>>3586542
I'm just trying to gauge the quality of your advice and it sounds very specious. Why should anyone listen to you, over tried and true methods of practice? Who would want to try new things and be creative, if they can't even draw a semi-convincing figure? Rather than practicing and gettin gud, your advice sounds like defeatism; "if you can't do it, that's okay, everything is different for everyone so there is no inherent objective value in your work so do whatever I guess lol dude weed lmao"

Get your head out of your ass and get gud, or at least stop spreading bad advice that beginners won't benefit from, that will probably cause more harm than good for those serious about being draftsmen.

P.S.
> if you are so beginner that doing the same piece twice produces meaningful results then doing much of anything is going to be just as productive as well.
What does this even mean? Art being such a fine and precisely manufactured product, chances are if you draw something twice it will be noticeably different. A single line in a gesture drawing can completely change the gesture-- a hair in breadth could be meaningful.

>> No.3586562

>>3586554
tried and true methods are not that effective if you consider the massive failure rate that accompanies them. no one can say with certainty what works. but if you think there are actual methods worth your time and you don't suffer doing them then you shouldn't be here talking about it.

>try new things and be creative, if they can't even draw a semi-convincing figure
to do anything new requires being creative. if your goal is to draw mechanically just learn the science. it will be much faster and you won't have to challenge any of your assumptions.

>if you can't do it, that's okay
more like, if you can't do it you need to take a step back and think about what you're doing cause it's clearly not working. reevaluate your assumptions. actually think. don't push forward through failure because you have some illusion of entitlement.

you're being a cunt despite not even having a good idea of what is being shared.

>> No.3586625

>>3586562
I will never stop acting like a cunt so long as this board is shit. You're not giving advice, you're talking out of your ass.
>tried and true methods are not that effective if you consider the massive failure rate that accompanies them.
What massive failure rate? Do you have any figures, or are you talking out of your ass? Iterative drawing is the process of refining a drawing by drawing it again, mindfully of course, so as to correct mistakes and gain a better understanding of what is being drawn. You have yet to offer an alternative to this that isn't some gay hippy bullshit.
>more like, if you can't do it you need to take a step back and think about what you're doing cause it's clearly not working. reevaluate your assumptions. actually think.
And then I would add to this "then try it again; draw it again." Which is iterative drawing.

>> No.3586628
File: 155 KB, 400x505, 38d.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3586625
why are you even here? why are you arguing when you know the answers to everything? just keep grinding exact copies until you get it 'right'. you clearly don't want to entertain anything that challenges you. imagination. artistic vision. art itself. it's all hippie bullshit.

>> No.3586637

>>3586628
No you stupid faggot, I'm calling you out on being full of shit. You'll give advice, throw your shit into the pot, and it's fucking nothing-- you've got nothing but the vaguest idea of what you're trying to say or do. Right now what I'm doing here is trying to let people know that you don't have a clue what you're talking about, and that iterative drawing is a way to get tangible results. So no, art isn't all hippy bullshit, but you're certainly a faggot.

>> No.3586640
File: 882 KB, 250x200, 1472433410922.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3586637
>i didn't understand anything you said but i'm the authority here and you're full of shit and i need to let everyone else know my opinion on the matter.

>> No.3586657
File: 60 KB, 544x540, 1518230740675.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3586640
>iterative learning only works for linear systems like video games. trial and error is an entirely blind process. just hammering down on a problem for the solution you want is the exact opposite of art and will lead you down a path of heavy calculation style work. dunno about others but i'd rather leave my cognition free so it can wander about my imagination and not have to aggressively calculate and measure everything.
>the actual key thing being done has nothing to do with the iteration.
>if knowledge was so easily brute forcible we could easily uncover all the secrets to reality by just running combinatoric algorithms in simulation. alas, we know this doesn't work. so um, maybe you should brush up on your computer science.
>nearly everything in art is counter intuitive
> realize not everything should work the same way for you. acknowledge your place in the universe.
All the stupid shit you've said.

>> No.3586660

>>3586657
clearly you are a troll.

>> No.3586947

>>3586143
>shards and cracks pointing at boys crotch
deebly goncerned!

>> No.3586962

>>3586339
Snibbity snab