[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 632 KB, 1280x720, 1529080172289.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3570768 No.3570768 [Reply] [Original]

Does grinding certain subjects individually help drawing overall? I've been improving gradually but I thought "oh, maybe if I do 20 sketchbook pages full of human ears I'd be a master at drawing them, and can apply that knowledge to my work" and so on with other things.

Has anyone tried this method? Instead of studying whole images, you just repeat certain pieces?

>> No.3570776

Yes, actually. I focus on faces, but I usually fuck up the ears, because I don't know what to draw. Set some time to do some studies of ears, including in different mediums, and then practiced drawing them from imagination, while occasionally glancing at past work. You eventually notice anatomy points of the ear that were amiss before. It helps to think of it as being made up of a Y and G shape. Just make sure you apply it to pieces, afterward.

>> No.3570777

it's effective if (and it's a big fucking if) if you are capable of drawing everything constructively to begin with
if you can't do full on fucking loomis then no, you'll just be trying to memorize shit to visually copy and paste into your drawings later because you didn't fucking learn anything

>> No.3570779

Well, that's my plan too. I study anatomy, but once I wanted to stop doing nude characters I moved on to grinding fabric references so I can do some clothes but everything else is on a notably inferior level.

Now I plan on grinding textures for my backgrounds. Some concrete
or ground and trees should be enough for now. And those things stick with you forever, I love it; you can algays improve but first grind individual skills. .. It helps overall with your discipline, pencil technique and taste but practicing one thing won't let you draw unrelated stuff, though you might be able to fake it with the shading skills you developed mastering eras.

like you don't know how to draw a detailed tree but you can pumpa basic form full of shading so that it looks close enough and doesn't break the immersion in your drawING that much

>> No.3570785

>>3570777
>>3570779
Your trips just destroyed my post. That's basically what I recommend, memorizing textures and shapes to drawi later on

>> No.3570864

>>3570768
yeah if you do 1000 drawings of anything you'll improve
i think grinding textures is actually insane, just ref, photobash or make brushes from photos. you're not gonna become a sewing geologist architect material engineer botanist

>> No.3570880

>>3570864
>you're not gonna become a sewing geologist architect material engineer botanist
but thats my dream
ever watched a documentary and wondered why biologist can draw this well? i mean it takes years to learn how to draw and years to study for biology

>> No.3570881
File: 687 KB, 701x547, ojpppio.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3570768
yeah, when you study something you're not supposed to be learning how to draw it directly, you're supposed to be learning about it's structure and how it works with light and it's abstract qualities etc.. drawing it is just the means to understanding it better. then..once you understand it, you can draw it better.

>> No.3570922

>>3570768
Normally, you work on individual parts I'm context. That means drawing a page of arms attached to a torso from reference, the same arms from a different angle, then some arms just because. I could see doing 20 pages for something like different varieties of noses from different angles and how they interact with the cheek and jaw.

Or just draw and render a lot of rocks and trees.

>> No.3570962

>>3570864

>failing to understand that you can indicate literally any texture possible with a hard round

ngmi

>> No.3570969

>>3570962
What's the hard round equivalent for traditional?

>> No.3570973

>>3570969
Sable round, size 12, moderately thick wash/not trying to do a blatantly transparent tint.

>> No.3571014

>>3570777
>loomis

Remember to get some accuracy under your belt first before moving on to construction. Construction is useless if you have no spatial perception skills. Which are trained by doing what a lot of the old masters did, studies of plates and busts using techniques like plumblines, comparative and sight-size measuring to build accuracy. You draw, correct, and thereby become more accurate til eventually you don't need to correct anymore.

Doing construction alone without doing this as a precursor is like trying to draw without having basic fine-motor skills or hand-eye coordination. Which you train by doing dexterity exercises like drawing parallel lines freehand. Or 'ghosting' lines.

>> No.3571061

To a degree it's helpful to give your focused attention to specific aspects of art, but don't take it to a crazy degree.

Spending a few days really grinding up one thing is usually not too bad, but if you start going "this month is ear month, I'm drawing only ears!" you'll probably not helping yourself that much. And don't just go from grinding one thing to grinding another, you need time to integrate it into the rest of your stuff. A shit drawing with nice ears is still a shit drawing.

>> No.3571495

>>3570962

You can indicate literally any texture possible with a pencil shoved up your dick, just because you can doesn't mean it's the most time-efficient way.

>> No.3571499

>>3570768
well depends. i've never drawn an aardvark, but i'd definitely be better at it now than i would have been 4 years ago.

>> No.3571500

>>3571014

I'd tell a beginner every time to go straight for construction before "Accuracy".

>Construction is an application that builds accuracy, as they improve in lockstep
>It gives them a win because going from 2D symbol drawings to the illusion of 3D forms that are, although inaccurate and ill-porportioned, objectively better, immediately improves the quality of all of their drawings thereafter which will inspire them to further gains in accuracy
>Accuracy can be learned after the fact because it's mostly improved confidence in one's lines, learning to measure, and knowledge of perspective. You don't need to understand all of those to begin using construction

That, and people wanna draw anime girls right off the bat. Telling them "Go read your Robertson and learn perspective first"is the losing-est of losing bets you can ever make to encourage a newbie.

>> No.3571508
File: 98 KB, 593x593, 1526097751253.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3570768
this is a retarded question because the answer is obviously yes

though i'm not sure if there's a benefit to only studying certain pieces if you dont know what your doing, since part of studying subjects is also studying how they interact with other things. i think a better way to use this method would be to study the same subject but in as many ways as possible. like how to construct it, how to draw it from observation, drawing it with the other things around it, how lighting interacts with it from different angles, doing color and value studies of it, ect ect.