[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 55 KB, 844x538, Dks0ioxUUAAtyS6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3567464 No.3567464 [Reply] [Original]

I'm completely new to art and i wanna start learning but exclusively digital, are there books for noobs to learn the basics? i tried w/ic/i but it had no steps to where should i begin and which book to read before another so i am lost. I can only draw stick figures but i wanna draw like every other person and i am fully aware that i won't become good fast and i can accept that as a truth.

>> No.3567467

Buy a few pencils and some printer paper. Don't invest into anything at the moment.

>> No.3567470

>>3567464
The wiki has what you need. I also recommend starting with a pencil and paper only to establish the muscle memory for what it feels like. Digital mediums change constantly, so you'll have to retrain your muscles every time you switch to another digital medium if you start pure digital. As for resources, go to /beg/ wiki and follow the recommended path.

>> No.3567473

>>3567464
>I can only draw stick figures
Then there is no hope.
The thing is, no book or resource will help you enough, if you want to draw something else, focus on that and don't come with excuses like "I can't do this" or "I can't do that".
Want to draw trees? Go look for them and draw them.
Want to draw Cars? Go sit in a parking lot and draw them.

You have to try the things you've never done before, only then will you be able to learn.

>> No.3567478

>>3567467
>>3567470
The problem is, i find it difficult to use pencils, the grip is uncomfortable and i have a habit of pressing it hard against the paper. I prefer digital because Wacom pencils are comfortable and never break and if they do there are some backups inside the tablet.
>>3567473
Did you read what i wrote on the thread? i'm completely new to art, i never had ANY experience with it especially at school, the only reason why i can only draw stick figures is because that's the easiest thing even a child can do without knowing. When did i come up with excuses? Your assumptions don't make sense. I don't even know how to use references for drawing and i can't find a comfortable spot for drawing outside.

>> No.3567484

>>3567464
>exclusively digital
disgusting

>> No.3567487

>>3567478
use pen then

>> No.3567488

>>3567464
Who's the artist, the style looks so familiar but I can't put my finger on it

>> No.3567498

>>3567478
Anon stop thinking that you can't change habits and stop comparing yourself to kids.
The thing about drawing is, like many things, you have to like it if you want get good at it, something has to push you to keep trying to get better.
I've seen kids draw amazing things for their age without any training or art classes because they enjoyed it and were fearless.

Have you ever attempted to draw anything else? Because if you haven't that is a true shame, it's bad to think you need instructions or guides to draw at all when their is a whole world around you to learn from.
Look, I'm not trying to insult you or scare you away from drawing I'm hoping that you will realize that drawing doesn't have to come from books or instructors, do you think those old cave paintings were done with a "drawing the ox with primitive tools" book?
Not saying that books are useless, if you have proof of your skill or lack thereof, it will become easier to look for instructions that will fill the gaps but that is not possible if you don't try to draw first.

The thing about your posts that disturbs me is that you act like you need someone to hold your hand before you will attempt.

>> No.3567532

>>3567478
If you start on digital all your lines will be wonky and you'll never learn the motor skills you need to draw properly. You'll hit a hard plateau because you never learn to draw things right the first time, all the comfort of digital drawing, (undo, pen stabliser) will prevent you from learning any real skills.

Buy a Staedtler Mars Technico if you can't be fucked with regular pencils. That way when you when you give up a month from now you won't regret wasting hundreds of dollars on a tablet you never use.

>> No.3567549

>>3567464
Just get printer papers and pencil or pen. We know graphics tablets and pc are cheap as fuck now. But you'll be wasting time learning the hardware (tablet) software (whatever software is bundled with the tablet) then actual drawing skill you can do at the same time.

You have to at least learn to control your hand and stop breaking pencils into paper everytime. Wacom nibs wear off easily and kind of hard to find replacements for sometimes

>> No.3567587

>>3567464
>but exclusively digital
Learn everything, big mistake to pigeonhole yourself into only using one type of medium. (assuming you mean learning only digital drawing/painting)

If you don't want to pay for paints or tools for coloring your work traditional that's understandable it can be expensive. But everyone can afford some paper, a pencil, pen, conte or charcoal. I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss learning to draw with traditional tools (assuming you mean you're only going to do 100% digital for everything) Trying different stuff out will inform techniques you use in digital and might lead you down some roads that could end up helping your art later on. Something to think about.

The sticky at the top of the page has tons of basic resources. Look up youtube videos for tutorials on how programs work.

>> No.3567798

>>3567464
Gather references of artists you enjoy and do studies of their proportions, color usage, and compositions. Try to recreate their artpieces to the best of your ability, then again, and again. Try to redraw a piece 3 or 4 times, even more if you have patience. Never, NEVER get comfortable with the process of creating and drawing, at least not for your first couple of years learning. If you always start a piece with the head, try starting at the torso for a bit, then start at the feet, it'll give you a better spacial understanding.

You should always be willing to try life studies though, it may be boring, mundane, and mind numbing, but it's essential. For the life studies try not to use outlines and then shading. Use strictly shadows and shades to distinguish shapes and objects. That'll learn you basic form and value separation.

Its actually beneficial that you have 0 experience, because that means you haven't picked up any bad habits that are hard to break once they've become mentally ingrained. Start right by using techniques that will allow you to learn and grow and not plateau your skill constantly.

>> No.3567816

>>3567478
>I'm too autistic to use a fucking pencil properly but I think I've got what it takes to learn how to draw digitally
Stop gripping it like a retard and learn how to draw in both mediums. If you think your retard strength and abnormal lack of motor skill with a pencil will suddenly disappear while using fragile Wacomshit pens you're wrong.

You don't need to follow a specific order with the books, read what you're interested in to start as long as it's not too advanced and move on from there. If you need to be constantly spoonfed what you need to be working on, get a private teacher from your area or buy into one of those online courses. DON'T get overly bogged down in muh resources, if you spend more time turning pages than actually drawing you're doing it wrong

If you need someone to hold your hand every step of the way then art isn't for you. You already have the resources in front of your face, and a board full of autists who will critique your garbage when you actually have something drawn. Go draw something (with a PENCIL) right now

>> No.3567991

>>3567498
>>3567816
>>3567798
I hope you all actually read the thread before acting all smart.

>> No.3568320

>>3567991
I read the whole thread again, you're still a retard and nothing me or any of the other posters have told you are any less true

>> No.3568407
File: 348 KB, 1400x2724, 41518610_p2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3567488
takatsu makoto

>> No.3568446

>>3567991
What do you mean?

>> No.3568468

>>3568407
Blog???

>> No.3570224

>>3568407
how can someone draw something so cute yet so disgusting?