[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 1.57 MB, 1440x2560, Screenshot_2018-03-25-05-11-41.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3394088 No.3394088 [Reply] [Original]

What's with all the desperation around commissions in the art community? Surely people aren't stupid enough to think it's a sustainable source of income. Hint: It's not.
It's one thing to casually take commissions if asked to do so but it's just damn cringy to see people setting up portfolios specifically so they can take the shekels of anyone with a pulse that might maybe want something drawn.
Pic semi-related.

>> No.3394094

leaving out your username and projecting your fears anonymously
bretty good anon keep on doing what you do

>> No.3394099

>>3394088
Bro just see a therapist

>> No.3394110

>>3394088
Modern culture has almost entirely eliminated the feelings of shame in most people, thus you see shameless money grubbing and attention whoring.

>> No.3394114

Commissioned art is truly the way to go for an artist. Sadly, if being a "true" artist is hard enough, not so easier it is to be a good commissioned artist.

>> No.3394120

>>3394088
>but it's just damn cringy to see people setting up portfolios specifically so they can take the shekels of anyone with a pulse that might maybe want something drawn
>that might maybe want something drawn
You sound like one of those children who show up and act as though they're entitled to free art, then throw a shit-flinging fit when quoted a price.
Spamming your commission details/concocting sob stories in an attempt to score pity work is pathetic, but being open to commissions is not. If you're good enough to be worth paying, you can supply someone who enjoys your work with a custom piece while potentially being taken out of your comfort zone and making some side money. It's nothing but good when handled properly.

>> No.3394132

>>3394120
>Spamming your commission details/concocting sob stories in an attempt to score pity work is pathetic, but being open to commissions is not
Can you not read? This is literally what I said in the OP. You just see spamming commission details/concocting sob stories/begging/shilling so often that it's become the culture. I understand why it's like that, it's very competitive. But it's also heavily delusional. It's gotten to the point where young artists post blogs asking for advice to get in on the whole "commissions" game when they're at a stage where no one will pay for their shitty anime girl doodles. It's like it's become taboo to just take it slow and improve your art and only take commissions when you actually have some demand.

>> No.3394141

>>3394132
>it's just damn cringy to see people setting up portfolios specifically so they can fake the shekels of anyone

read your own post again and tell us where you said they were begging/lying?

>> No.3394155

>>3394132
You didn't say that, though. You mentioned a 'desperation' around commissions, then followed it up criticizing people with portfolios. If you take regular commissions, I don't see what the problem is with providing examples of the breadth of your ability so people know what they can expect when ordering from you.
As for why shitters go to the lengths of lies and scamming for commissionbux, it's as simple as egotistical brats with no work ethic beelining for the most free, expressive calling the can think of: art. They don't have the patience or character to git gud, they're unable or unwilling to see the flaws in their own work that would tell them it's too shit to charge for. These ones that are allegedly trying to produce traditionally good art are just a step above "abstract" and "installation" trust fund kiddies submitting selfies of themselves striking a pose with clothes pins all over their face to pass their $40,000/year course.
You see similar behavior and oversaturation of shitters in music, though music's also crueler to genuinely good artists since the difference between good and bad music is less blatantly apparent than the difference between sonichu and the old masters.

>> No.3394177

>>3394132
people who draw bad and naively try to start commissions out of it are nothing new. They're usually kids who don't know how life works, or poor people who are just that desperate for $10.

>> No.3395177
File: 49 KB, 448x240, 4chan.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm actually looking to hire an artist to do some logo/mascot designing work. How much do you think 4chan's logo cost to commission? I'm looking for something similar.

>> No.3395184

>>3394110
lol such people literally get called out on a daily basis

>> No.3395315

>>3395177
I'd say if you provide the logo part, it shouldn't cost more than $30 unless you're going for some higher end artists.

>> No.3395445

The problem with taking commissions as a main source of income instead of working for a studio or something is that you have to market and build an audience and it's one of the most soul-crushing things ever. People are fickle as fuck. There are some obvious things that attract attention (ex: Pokemon, anime, furries) but it's hard to plan out what will "click" with people and get thousands of notes even if your art is good. I've had crappy Pokemon sketches that weren't even cleaned up that got an insane amount of notes, even more than my more well-polished colored Pokemon pieces. People are literally stupid and hard to predict and it's basically all kind of a gamble.