[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 89 KB, 363x475, 1514483313856.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3369593 No.3369593 [Reply] [Original]

Should I go to an art uni? Even if it'll land me in loads of debt?
What are the alternatives?

>> No.3369606

>>3369593
just draw

>> No.3369607

If you can't afford it try saving money with a part time job while you study in your own time. Unless you have investigated some art school that is of your interest (and has classes that actually you give a shit about) I'd hold up in that thought.

You could enroll in a CGMA course too or any of the online payment courses that are flexible with your schedule.

>> No.3369629

>>3369593
well depends on your situation. Will it land you in loads of debt?
I think in the right situation going to art school can be really beneficial

>do good in high school, get scholarships
>apply for financial aid from the government, you get a decent amount of money
>apply for every art scholarship / grant available (make good art to apply)
>look up which local college near you has teachers whose art you like; it'll be cheaper and smaller classes usually.
>live at home with parents to save money
>parents might help you with school costs
>you dont even have to graduate, spend 1-2 years focusing hard on your art, create projects, start trying to get paid for it.

Honestly you can go to art school, actually learn valuable shit, and not get in massive debt if you do things right.

I also think some amount of debt is worth it if you look at it as an investment on yourself. I was an art student for a year before i switched my major to fucking communications. In hindsight if i woulda believed in myself, spent all my time making art and stuck it out, I woulda had 4 years to really focus on art full time for a total debt of 20k...Not bad imo

>> No.3369648

>>3369593
depends on your goals. What are they?

>> No.3369684

>>3369593
I'd only do it for animation/3D/architecture/anything that benefits from some sort of tools or facilities that the university is going to have. If you're going to uni specifically, you're going to be forced to do analytical units and get an academic understanding of art and media. You're not going to be made to grind art fundamentals 24/7 unless you're going to an art school that does that.
My uni has a fully equipped traditional animation facility, digital art rooms with Cintiq 21UXes at every computer, traditional art spaces, sculpting spaces, film equipment etc. The classes outside of the writing units aren't "Draw/sculpt a fucktonne" but they're marked on quality and with facilities open at all hours it's easy to get a lot of practice in without distraction. You've really gotta be able to put up with the analytical units, though.

>> No.3369693
File: 2.49 MB, 3860x2434, IMG_2952.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Yeah go to art school

>> No.3369698

>>3369593
Apply for Fzd

>> No.3369700

>>3369693
You know you can just not do the fine arts degree, right?

>> No.3369716

>>3369700
you usually dont refer to workshops or smaller curriculums for training as school tho..