[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 616 KB, 3508x4961, #9Fishboy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3360750 No.3360750 [Reply] [Original]

Come September I'm going to start studying illustration at a UK University but I really feel like I'm not ready. I'm super worried that uni is just going to be pushing me towards creating finished pieces and adapting new creative styles when what I really need is to just be drawing from a reference and practicing non stop.
TL:DR; I'm worried uni is a few steps ahead of where I'm at and want your opinion /ic/, here's some of my stuff

>> No.3360752
File: 1.83 MB, 3508x4961, #13 sky painting digital.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3360756
File: 266 KB, 4961x3508, Send more astronauts landscape.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3360758
File: 1.37 MB, 7016x4961, ponch 3 21 2018.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3360761
File: 968 KB, 4961x3508, #12 happy birthday skelet.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.3360797

If you're on /ic/ you'll grow to hate modern illustration degrees. People are lazy as fuck, the tutors are post modern and don't care about fundies, "skill" is boring and a meme to them and you gain extra points for drawing vaginas and brown people because that's enlightened progress. I dropped out of my UK illustration degree, it really spiritually took a toll. If you're going to commit to the education experience I really recommend you switch to a technical drawing course like Architecture, Drawing or Design, you'll learn so much more about conservation of line, colour theory, workflow, networking, drawing skills, wider reading and the industry than Illustration, which is the personification of "muh style".

>> No.3360799
File: 219 KB, 1200x848, 0220-anatomy2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3360750
Uni will be a time to hopefully meet equally as autistic people so you don't have to blog about your concerns on the internet. It will probably be relatively lax with a strange curriculum not really designed around teaching fundamentals. If you have extra critical studies lessons you may learn about Mise en scene, constructing arguments and have a chance to change the way you think. It's entirely on you to get the most out of this time where you're hopefully not under too much pressure to get a job. 2-3 years to draw as much as you can without worrying too much about paying rent is a lot off your plate so shut the fuck up.

>>3360758
The fuck is that resolution, why isn't that page full of sketches?
>when what I really need is to just be drawing from a reference and practicing non stop.
Get to it then. Fill a page today, go to a website like kindgirls or street-fashion-snap, grab some images and start drawing.

>> No.3360805

>>3360750
Britbong here, which university you going to?

>> No.3360823

>>3360805
Bristol UWE or Conventry atm, got an interview with Cardiff on Wednesday

>> No.3360983

>>3360799
Who's the artist that drew your image?

>> No.3361040

>>3360983
Krenz

>> No.3361052

>>3360750

Don't go to uni unless the professors are real pros like Karl Gnass.

What you need is deliberate practice of the fundamentals.

>> No.3361071

>>3360750
I was in the same position as you. I'm a second year Illustration student at UCA, Surrey. I would say if you feel like you don't have to go to Uni then don't. I would quit if I had the money to NEET but I'm too far in now anyway.

The first year for you is going to be shit its all about experimentation for most uni's I think. In that year in my class I tried to incorporate my drawing ability into my coursework and my tutors diswayed me and pushed me towards paper craft and textiles shit. If I could do it again I would tell them to fuck off.

I can draw the best in my class (from imagination) , which is not saying much, I went to my fourth choice uni because my portfolio had pretty much 0 finished pieces. I got rejected from UWE so good luck. I am so tired of being surrounded by normies and not improving in class. Listen to me! 2% of those people in those fucking classes will actually get art jobs! They have no idea what they are doing! Enough of that blog post , I just want to say I really don't want to be at uni but its better than getting a job. After Uni is finished I might try to get a job or hang myself. its 50:50

>> No.3361112

>>3361071
Same position as you, thinking about dropping out before the third year, but the third year entices me due to the fact it's going to be a personal project for the entire year.

>> No.3361115

>>3361040
Oh, I knew it was familiar.

>> No.3361144

>>3361052
I was fortunate enough to have tuition paid mostly by grants and while I don't think the actual information gained from the course itself was of much value the academic practices and people were.
Having had that 3 year period to work out what I wanted to do and get a sense of direction (from the internet) on how to go about it I don't think its easy to purely right off what University offers. I don't know how hard it would be for someone out on their own and needing to work menial jobs to pay rent.
>>3361071
>>3361112
Do you have the fortitude to push through with fundamentals if you're working? Would it motivate you to work harder to escape the drudgery or would the fatigue and monotony get to you first? Start working on your personal project now, theres no reason to put it off.

>> No.3361163

I'm in the same boat as you. Trust me, you will be about 100 steps ahead of everyone else if you develop your drawing skill, but it hardly matters.

Uni will always be a few steps ahead of you because there are no standards. It doesn't matter how well you draw or do anything, they will constantly move the goalposts. If you make a brilliant drawing they will likely ignore it or say "well why didn't you explore this or that.." Meanwhile students that objectively cannot draw will be made to believe that they can. This was my experience, sounds like a lot of people feel the same. Keep studying on your own, and not just on /ic.

>> No.3361351
File: 231 KB, 640x960, advice to art school student.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>I'm super worried that uni is just going to be pushing me towards creating finished pieces and adapting new creative styles when what I really need is to just be drawing from a reference and practicing non stop.
honestly anon you never really get to a point where you can stop practising. learning to present a finished piece and not a page of studies is essential, more essential than skill a lot of the time especially depending on what job you gun for. it's not a bad thing if you aim for the target and miss.

but yes practise a bunch now. you can improve a lot before september if you are truly worried

>> No.3361352

>>3361071
>>3361112
I did drop out and NEEThood is like a punch in the gut - fun at first and then the groundhog day begins, grinding you down, and your motivation slips. I genuinely think I've become socially maladapted from the isolation, I went from being a very popular guy with a 9/10 qt to a guy that lives in an attic in isolation, deleted all social media, sleep pattern is fucked, barely draw anymore.

Neetdom is not easy. If you can't manage your willpower and the corrosive effects of isolation, and the fact that you will never get laid (I did a couple times when I pretended to be employed) or start a relationship with any meaningful woman, it is not for you. Finish your course and get a part time job afterwards.

>> No.3361376
File: 78 KB, 398x685, 12.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3361352
>implying I wasn't I was born in isoltion, molded by it

Women are a waste of time desu famalam, my onahole will suffice and is cheaper overall. I'll hack it and if not I can always go on my dream to become a homeless drifter drawin what I see throughout europe and what not.

>> No.3361385

>>3360752
this is great in thumbnail. why wouldn't you just blend the hard hard brushes? it could work as a full size piece if you did. everything else is /beg/.

>> No.3361387

If you do the work what do you have to worry about.

Stop whining, please. Make sure you don't let these feelings out to anyone you know.

>> No.3362485

>>3361352
you could volunteer at animal shelters and pet the kitties

>> No.3362714

>>3361376
Having children is my biggest dream and drawing nudes is great when you're in a relationship with that thot

Also that's my dream, I'm building an /out/ ultralight backpack so I can lug around art tools and rough it around Europe, anything to leave this attic. I have some cash from crypto so it's all good

>> No.3364691

>>3360750
if you're in the uk you could check out lavender hill studios or something. get actual marketable skills for less money. an alternative would be taking online courses but idk how your situation permits...
but yeah check out the ateliers in london

>> No.3365840

>>3360750
No one is really ready for college.
Just fucking do it.

>> No.3368016

>>3360750
I think you'll be good. I didn't know how to establish values when I started my formal training and I'm a lot better now. Typically you're graded on craftsmanship and personal improvemnt so as long as you spend time and effort on your pieces and practice a little bit outside of class you'll be great. Regardless of what anyone tells you teachers really do care about their students and classes move quickly and you'll be forced to keep up which will help you become a better artist.

>> No.3368118

>>3360750
>pushing me towards creating finished pieces and adapting new creative styles
This is what universities does good. Push you to finish shit, hit deadlines and challenge yourself outside your comfort zone.
>when what I really need is to just be drawing from a reference and practicing non stop.
No you don't need to draw from reference, it's an extremely poor way to learn. Studies means drawing from life and learning fundamentals. Schools in Europe will rarely or never teach you this and you are expected to learn this by yourself.

>illustration
My guess is that it will be more about design and less about actual drawing.

I recommend, unless too late, to have a look at industrial design courses or anything similar. There is a bunch of them that forces you to learn how to sketch quickly for production and forces you to learn perspective. Other similar courses may give you some useful 3d or other software knowledge that can help your workflow.