[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 17 KB, 509x619, 8e8.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3341695 No.3341695 [Reply] [Original]

How do beginner artists deal with being unable to draw what they want for their first 2 years of learning? I just finished a list of books etc. I need to finish before I can even begin to make my own stuff that isn't complete garbage. It's Aguri's guide mixed with some other stuff, even then all of this is just basics. From my experience I know that I can't do shit as long as I don't learn everything from all of these books.

>Erik Olson Perspective sections 1-10
>Scott Robertson Basic Perspective Form Drawing
>Watch all of CGMA 2011 workshops throughout the term
>Sketching The Basics (series of books)
>Michael Hampton Figure Drawing
>Anatomy for Sculptors
>Scott Robertson How to Draw
>Scott Robertson How to Render
>James Gurney Color and Light
>Designing with Color and Light with Nathan Fowkes
>New Masters Academy Animal anatomy lectures
>The Art of Urban Sketching
>Watch The Techniques of Feng Zhu and Concept Design DVDs
>Fundamentals of lighting (advanced lighting) with Sam Nelson
>Scott Robertson How to Design
>Start drawing

I feel very unsatisfied with the feeling that I have to suffer for 2 years (at best), how do you people cope with the fact that you can't make good stuff that you can show to people in 2 fucking years? And no, I don't want to draw anime.

>> No.3341702

fuck reading, i didnt even finish reading ur post

>> No.3341707

You have to learn to treat drawing like learning anything else. If you're learning a language, you don't only do the homework and textbooks. You try to read books, watch television, talk to fluent people, etc. Same with drawing, it isn't all about the homework. You should be using these resources to enhance your drawings, not mindlessly grinding and hating your life. Find resources that help what you want to do. The people that stick with it and get good do so because they draw what they like instead of treating it like a constant mindless grind.

>> No.3341711

just draw

>> No.3341713

post your work

>> No.3341717

>>3341707
>>3341711
The whole point of starting this whole "book journey" was to make me able to draw at all. I have no fucking clue where to put shadows for example but when I read something, it gives me that knowledge I need. I was "just drawing" my whole life and I am still a beginner, it's pointless. Drawing on your own doesn't make you good if you don't have fundamentals.

>> No.3341723

Time will pass regardless, it's up to you to do the work or you'll be making the same thread two years from now.

>> No.3341731

>>3341723
I have no issue with grinding but I just want to know how to cope with the whole thing so I won't get burned out. As I said I will be able to execute my ideas 2 years from now, only then.

>> No.3341734

>>3341717
Study some but don't go hardcore, learning takes time and you're gonna get there eventually but you'll hold yourself back if you burn your self out. Study but also draw what you want, solidify what you've learned by drawing from imagination, and take breaks every so often/when you need it. Art is not a race.

>> No.3341736

>>3341695
>How do brainlet artists deal with being unable to draw what they want for their first 2 years of learning?
ftfy
>And no, I don't want to draw anime.
ngmi

>> No.3341744

>>3341734
>Art is not a race
It is, like every other thing in this world. Being a beginner past 25 years is like a death sentence.

>> No.3341749

>>3341744
But it's not though, plenty of artist start post 25 and make it.

>> No.3341751

>>3341749
Like who?

>> No.3341810

bump

>> No.3341823

>>3341751
jfc not this fucking bullshit again. If you really honestly cared you could simply google "artists that started after 25" or something similar. The point is you want to complain and bitch and moan because you don't actually enjoy drawing. You don't want to draw. You want to be the guy that's good at drawing, which is why you're not going to keep up with this and why nobody honestly cares about this thread.

>> No.3341826

>>3341744
>neuroplasticity rapidly decline meme

>> No.3341836

>>3341823
I really do care, trust me. I just dont like googling stuff like that simply because its unreliable. I'd get some people that are either long dead or irrelevant to my field like abstract painters or whatever. If you know of any good illustrators that started after 25, let me know.

>> No.3341837

>>3341744
this is such a meme, and an excuse for people to be lazy and not challenge themselves. learning a language or art is no harder at 26 than 16 other than availability of time.

>> No.3341847

>>3341826
>>3341837
This is not about it being harder to learn, it's just the industry rapidly grows and people that are good at your age will be better later while you may get to their skill of today years later. It's a never ending chase where you just can't win unless you are satisfied with lesser jobs for pennies.

>> No.3341851

>>3341836

>I really do care, trust me.

Put an effort into something for once in your life.

If you can't even put an effort to try multiple keywords for google search you're going to struggle learning anything else.

>> No.3341857

>>3341847

dumbest shit i've read today.

fucking moron here thinks that it's a fucking race.

NEVER EVER EVER EVER GOING TO MAKE IT

>> No.3341862

>>3341857
But it is, even if you disregard the whole thing and get good in your 40s, it's still dumb as fuck to go for so long, because you reach level of decency you could have achieved years ago and lived a better life till now. It's not a race for hobbyists though.

>> No.3341865

>>3341695

> Draw everyday
> Do studies of things you can't draw
> Stop doing studies of things you're good at drawing
> Draw more
> Do more studies of things you haven't done studies
> Repeat step 1 until you're good enough

>> No.3341868
File: 2.92 MB, 1400x6521, 1472029437562.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Fellow beginner here. Stop being so hard on yourself. Drawing is a journey, not an end. Pic related, you're supposed to make your loli more and more detailed as you gain knowledge.
As for your list of material, there's no way in hell you'll cram all those courses into a 2 year period, and even if you did, you'd still be bad because you need to actually APPLY what you learn to get a benefit out of it.
>you'll want to kill yourself halfway through olson's perspective course. Guy explains very slowly and very quietly.
>Scott's perspective course is the same as his book How to Draw, pick either, not both.
>Leave the CGMA workshops alone until you can draw somewhat decent on paper.
>the rest of them you won't be able to use until you have the basics grounded.
I recommend you do Perspective made easy, then alternate between Loomis, Vilppu and Hampton for a few months, draw some shit, see if you like it, practice each of them until you nail it down, THEN do perspective and color theory and photoshop and whatever you like.
Cheers bro.

>> No.3341886

>>3341744
Neuroplasticity does count, don't get me wrong. However, it only really counts as far as performance arts are concerned, which drawing is not.

You're a lazy piece of shit. The reason anyone is good at drawing is because they put in TIME and EFFORT. If you're unwilling to do that, then you don't deserve to draw good.

>> No.3341888

>>3341862
You clearly don't know anyone in the industry. All of my friends who ended up getting a job doing illustrations all got their jobs in their 30s. They spent their 20s sucking shit, working, and trying their best.

You want to be a 20 year old prodigy. Yeah, that's not going to happen. But making it can happen at any time in your life, stop crabbing.

>> No.3341900

>>3341695
how about you stop being a little bitch

>> No.3341908

>>3341888
Not him but I'm curious about what kind of illustrations your friends make. Do you mean editorial stuff or sci-fi and fantasy?

>> No.3341918

>>3341908
Sci-fi and fantasy, but they also had to make the grind in their respective businesses doing little things like drawing assets and backgrounds.

They're not extremely talented either, don't get me wrong they're good, but the bar to entry is more about who you know rather than raw skill. You only need to be just good enough to make it.

>> No.3341930

drawing is not a race

>> No.3341946

Go to a country with communist history and get yourself disciplined.

>> No.3342016

Being able to draw what you want how you want is the biggest goal of drawing in itself. How do you think fat obese people feel when they realize it's gonna be years of hard work before they're finally in good shape? It sucks ass, but every bit of improvment can feel amazing. The only real answer to your question would be to make do with what you have and figure out what you'd like to draw at every skill level til you're something impressive.

>> No.3342031

>>3341695
By copying and observing for fun. A valuable learning experience

>> No.3342048

>>3341695
>Scott Robertson How to Design
I've never heard of this book. is this out somewhere?

>> No.3342052

the most important thing is that youre enjoying yourself while drawing, it matter much more than forcing yourself to study books and do tedious studies. If you enjoy doing that then great but make sure you turn drawing into a leisure activity, something you do to relax at the end of the day. That's the only way people stick to it long term and get good

>> No.3342280

>>3341702
kek

>> No.3342282

>>3341695
Always do the thing you wanna draw before reading how to
For instance, draw some portraits from imagination trying your best to figure it out by yourself.
And then read the book teaching you how to.
It's the best way

>> No.3342351

>>3341695
Two years? I'm drawing what I want 3 months in because I'm not being retarded and focused on construction.

>> No.3342423

>>3342351
What do you draw then? Floating heads traced from photos?

>> No.3342443

>>3341695
God dammit op which of the crabs told you that crappy advice of grinding fundies for years before "earning the right" to draw what you like??

Draw what you like now, even if it's technically bad, use studies as means to improve your personal work, any other motivation will cause you to burn out completely within first few years.

>> No.3342452
File: 41 KB, 1243x317, 1407170805988.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3342443
this

>> No.3342641

>>3341868
Thanks, though I am getting conflicted tips.

Someone else said to get good at perspective then go for human figures, you're saying to go with human then master perspective. Why is that?

>> No.3342646

>>3342641
If you actually read the chart, you'd know that's not how learning drawing will go. You don't "master" X then move on to "mastering" Y.

You gradually build up multiple skillsets together and alternate between them.
There's some generally recommended order, but you'll end up going back and forth anyways eventually because it's impossible to get good with a specific skillset in a vacuum. To truly master a skillset, you will need to learn it in the context of all the other skillsets in art.

But I'd recommend getting used to super basic freehand perspective drawing (Perspective Made Easy, Dynamic Sketching) before getting into figure drawing. And no don't wait until you "master" it before moving on, because it won't happen.

>> No.3342653

>>3342646
Alright, that makes sense, thanks.

>> No.3342655

> From my experience I know that I can't do shit as long as I don't learn everything from all of these books.
If you don't DO, you're never going to be able to learn what those books are telling you

>> No.3342657

>read a bunch of books on how to play football
>wtf why do I suck at football
You have to practice you retard

>> No.3342658

>>3342657
The issue is that I got tricked into only drawing and that's a shitty way to go. No improvement whatsoever, because I kept repeating my mistakes.

>> No.3342660

>>3342658
>tricked
Did you never see patterns in your errors and figure "hmm, maybe I should consult a book for this issue"

>> No.3342662

>>3342658
You act like there's no in between, it's either only study or only draw.

Draw and consult books/internet when you're having difficulties.

>> No.3342663
File: 306 KB, 782x886, shit.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3342660
I see it now that my fundamentals are basically non existent and I have to finish whole books so I can even begin doing my own work, otherwise I'll come back to doing shit. Pic rel is my latest attempt at doing a character. The whole thing is garbage, everything I do comes to winging it, I don't know where to place shadows, how to manage values in general, how to make a pose correctly (so it's not stiff), how to place it in interesting perspective and so on.

I KNOW NOTHING.

>> No.3342668

>>3342663
Not sure what your point is now but I think it's really cowardly to blame others for being unable to check a book when you encounter basic errors again and again.

Just keep drawing, man. If you think your anatomy/forms/visual library are bad, start with the worst one (inb4 "b-but everything is bad" nigger just pick one) and check out some video tutorials/a book on the subject and bang out 10 drawings focusing on that specific thing. If you like drawing female warriors, combine them with the problem in question. Not rocket science

>> No.3342671

>>3341744
Sounds like you better just give up right away.

>> No.3342672

>>3341744
You are right but fuck you for making me remember. I'm trying my hardest not to think about this.

>> No.3342673

>>3341736
Anime is for fags

>> No.3342675

>>3342668
I am not cowardly blaming others but you people tend to talk too much about stuff that is harmful for real beginners. "Just drawing" is not a good thing for them.

>> No.3342680

>>3342675
>I am not cowardly blaming others
Then stop it with the "somebody tricked me" bullshit. Maybe "obtuse" is a better word?
>"Just drawing" is not a good thing for them.
No but there's a key difference between that intentional misquote and "just keep drawing"; the latter implies that you shouldn't give up, especially coupled with the repeated messages telling you to tackle challenges one at a time and actually mix fun and study in response to the whiny "everything I do is shit :(" comment.

>> No.3342684

>>3342673
ngmi tbqh

>> No.3342782

>>3342452
tehmeh is an amateur so I wouldn't take his advice too much.

>> No.3342786

>>3342680
Alright mr. smart guy, what am I supposed to draw if I can't draw a thing? Do I have to grind boxes and then construct everything from boxes?

>> No.3342789

>>3341695
Learn to understand how you learn first, then learn from others.
An analogy: you're repeating sounds; but you're not learning the actual language.
Git gud.

>> No.3342816

>>3342786
I'm not even trying to bully you, I see my old self in you so I get frustrated.

You can draw, you even posted a drawing earlier.

Key to self learning is identifying your own issues and combating them as you go. It's okay to suck as long as you keep your chin up.

>> No.3342832

>>3342816
I don't mean to be disrespectful or anything, I appreciate any kind of help since you don't owe me a thing, I just feel completely lost and I don't really understand how am I supposed to bite the whole thing. You see, the thing is that I have been thinking about it that way of yours, what you are saying is something I've been thinking for a long time, since other people keep telling that aswell. Even then I can't really move forward, I see so many problems with me and my art that I just don't know where to start. I feel very overwhelmed, like I can start with perspective (which I understand on a basic level) but everything else is shit. I can improve my lines no problem, but then everything I draw is completely wrong. I can fix my anatomy/proportions, but then I can't place values properly since I don't know shit about lighting. And so on...

Well, then you could say that I should tackle everything one by one, but if I do so, then the whole thing loops back to my original statement from >>3341695 And I feel like doing everything at once brings me very little to the point I had to think about my life. I started drawing with breaks since 4 years ago and I am still bad to the point I can't draw anything satisfying on my own. I've been doing portraits and even those weren't really that good or useful, since I basically copied an image and nothing else. Maybe I am just very fucking stupid but for me learning to draw seems convoluted. Every study I did for past 4 years was basically copying something with no real results. I would go to a school if I could but I can't afford that.

>> No.3342854

>>3341695
I started drawing when I was a teenager, I had no taste, so I was insulated to a great degree from how bad my work was. Even better if you start as a child. I also didn't take it that seriously because I thought I was taking science in uni. By the time I was able to tell good from bad, I had developed a fair bit of skill. Lucky me.. but it's something to keep in mind.

Therefore, I'd say don't take things too seriously when starting out and accept the fact that you will suck for a while. You really do have to have fun.

Studying all those books will not have much immediate effect. I find myself returning to my old art books every couple years or so and learning tons of things from them I couldn't fathom before. All your past experience and practice filters what you can learn from a book, so you will probably only get 5% out of it your first read through.

>> No.3342871

>>3342832
It is hard and there is a confusing amount of famous resources, probably enough for thousands of hours of hard study. Thing is we all learn differently. The self learning student must be able to look at resources and prioritize. It's hard to prioritize when you're bad at everything:
The more hours you put into drawing the more you will encounter the same irritating moments where you don't know how to do a certain part. I'm not talking about the "I'm so bad" moments, but the "wait a minute how does the shoulder girdle even work????" moments. What I personally do in those moments is look at my favorite artists and see how they do their abstractions, and I also look at diagrams and do some of my own drawings from different angles. What I DON'T do is plow through several "essential" (lol) books on anatomy. You can do it that way but it's not like you have to, especially if it's boring and stopping you from partaking in the hobby.

>> No.3342965

>>3342871
Drawing for me is meant to be more than a hobby( a life long career actually) and that's why I am frustrated, but thanks anyway. I'll keep trying to do my best.

>> No.3343104

>>3341851
>Makes claim
>Can't back it up and whines about you not researching it

God I hate this board.

>> No.3343116

>>3343104
He just can't prove his point like almost all of this board.

>> No.3343163

>>3341695
you just do it.

>> No.3343213

>>3342684
Idk brb lol jk kys

>> No.3343219

>he's already using shortcuts (reading drawing manuals).
>he still bitching about difficulty of drawing

>> No.3343228

>>3343219
But it's not instant success like I'm used to!

>> No.3343244

>>3343228
>2 years of hard work and nothing else
>talking about instant gratification

>> No.3343526

>>3341868
That image is great advice overall but screw following the exact steps recommended there but yeah learn all kinds of shit

>> No.3343558
File: 22 KB, 351x351, 1503589088785.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>that first drawing you did that you were actually proud of and completely content with
it feels so fucking good man, completely worth all the effort

>> No.3343569

>>3343558
Show

>> No.3343571

>>3341695
I cope by not caring about showing people my work. I only focus on myself. Focus on improving my drawings. OP cared too much about showing off to friends thats why OP had such a hard time.

>> No.3343579

>>3343569
I did. It's the cat can't you tell?

>> No.3343601

Is it really gonna take 2 years before I can make good shit? Seems way too long.

>> No.3343602

>>3343601
Probably. If it was that easy, everyone would be an artist.

>> No.3343607

>>3341695
I'm a pro artist and that's like 10 times more "how to draw" books than I have ever read

I can assure you you don't need them. What you do need is to fucking draw.

>> No.3343690

>>3341695
>2 years of learning

Oh boy...
Anon, I got news for you, it lasts much, much longer than 2 years.

>> No.3343692

>>3343690
No it doesn't. The whole art journey sure, but not being unable to draw your stuff for longer than 2 years, people would kill themselves.

>> No.3343695
File: 11 KB, 160x160, nHPRMW9CFMRK3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3341744
>Be me
>Start learning how to draw at age 30
>Now work for animation at age 33

OP, stop being retarded.
As for your little "artbook" journey, it's way too fuckin' much. Cut it down all those books and only go for the books you actually need to look at. If you're studying for the sake of doing so, guess what, you're going to continue to suck and nothing will change.

>> No.3343715

Hello guys.
I've started taking drawing seriously for a few months and finally found a class with live models compactible with my schedule.
Any advice for a noob at life drawing so I don't look too ridiculous?

>> No.3343716

>>3343695
Post work or i call bullshit

>> No.3343719

>>3343695
Post work AND I call bullshit anyways.

>> No.3343725

>>3343695
Post work bullshit.

>> No.3343726

>>3343695
>roleplaying on anonymous imageboards

>> No.3343727

>>3343695
>thinking anyone would believe this

>> No.3343932
File: 941 KB, 350x280, uDRG7Dz.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3343569
I can't, my old art file died with my computer

>> No.3343949

>>3343601
If you're starting from being unable to draw anything past a stick figure, yeah 2 years, maybe more

If you're already semi competent and work hard you can probably start doing it in a year.

>> No.3344171

>>3343949
This boosts my confidence. Thanks.

>> No.3344266

>>3341695
>How do beginner artists deal with being unable to draw what they want for their first 2 years of learning?

By being adults, having patience, and putting the work in.
Reading books won't get you better any faster, if you're not putting the time into the actual work. There are no shortcuts.

Despair posts don't make you any better or get you there faster. If this isn't a larp, you need therapy, not books on drawing. 90% of the posts in this forum, if real, are red flags for severe mental and emotional issues - being that it's 4chan, it's not surprising.

I went to college for art. Nobody acted like this.

>> No.3344270

>>3344266
>I went to college for art Nobody acted like this.

Cool, do you mind sharing your work? Or is it worthless and you can't draw a thing?

>> No.3344276

>>3343607
This. I went to college for art, the only class that focused on a book was art history, and figure drawing, but that was mostly for reference and "further reading", I think some classes have to have a book assigned, per the school's rules. None of my other studio classes, where the actual work happened, had any books assigned, we worked in class with the teacher, and at home. I learned about books like Loomis coming here, years and years after i graduated, and became a published artist.
They're not bad books, and they can partially replace the classroom experience, but they're not essential. Millions of artists became artists before Loomis was even born, without books like that.

>> No.3344278

>>3343715
>Any advice for a noob at life drawing so I don't look too ridiculous?
Go to the class, listen to the teacher, don't be a perv.

Seriously, you have to have being a student explained to you? That's why there's a teacher - to teach you how to do it.

>> No.3344280

>>3344270
I will never share anything personal like that on 4chan, sorry. Even if it's unpublished. Just a rule of mine. Even if you're just curious, I don't need to willingly put myself into the crosshairs of the weaponized autism here.

>> No.3344285

>>3344266
Is this anon right

>> No.3344289

>>3344280
Just draw something quick to prove that you aren't a hack, 10 minute sketch

>> No.3344292

>>3341702
Kek

>> No.3344293

>>3341695
i literally just do it anyway knowing its pure shit
i show it to some people i know, few that dont have any drawing experience at all, few that have some, and a couple that are legitimately good drawers and get feedback on my cringe art
im just going to continuously do this until i learn to draw and never stray from my goal

also fuck loomis

>> No.3344297

>>3344289
Not your trained monkey.

>> No.3344310

>>3344297
Then your post goes into the garbage and I'll pretend you never existed. Sorry but we've had so many retards that post big claims and it turns out they are actually really fucking bad. If you can't prove your point, it's worthless.

>> No.3344368

>>3341702
kek

>> No.3345416

>>3341702
Another enlightened individual

>> No.3346335

OP simply enjoy drawing, start with simple shapes and get comfortable with that

>> No.3346354

>>3341868
Did the guy who made this pic made it? post pixiv/artstation

>> No.3346398
File: 141 KB, 596x591, 1421375869111.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3342663
>I have to finish whole books so I can even begin doing my own work
No you dont you retard. You read, practice/study, and then apply to your personal work, see where you went wrong and where you went right, then start over. Christ i hate this fucking board

>> No.3346695

>>3342684
Never Gonna Marry Imouto

>> No.3347348

I've been grinding studies for a while and really needed to see this thread. Ppreciate you anons