[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 28 KB, 619x453, 1496489455527.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3326861 No.3326861 [Reply] [Original]

>13 year old girl is able to paint realistic portraits

>Is able to sell her paintings for $100,000 - $300,000

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11z9aGw_iEs

Don't worry anon, it's okay. We all know how much it hurts. Just keep practicing everyday and learn the fundamentals, and try not to think of the 13 year old girl who has become a millionaire from painting.

>> No.3326946

>>3326861
Not everyone has an IQ in the 200s anon, dont compare yourself to the 1.31/\-9th of a percent of all human beings

>> No.3326947

>>3326861
Are you seriously comparing yourself to a little girl who probably comes from a large supportive yet overbearing upper middle - to straight up wealthy extended family?

>> No.3326949

>>3326861
it's a scam dude. her dads a painter and guides her every stroke.

>> No.3326951

>>3326861
The difference is you just started now and she's been drawing since like two. You're merely comparing ages when really you need to compare experience.

>> No.3326959

>>3326861
>Mozart could think up fully realized intricate compositions all in his head without writing them down
>got BTFO by Beethoven who always struggled and lacked Mozart's superhuman talent

>> No.3327271

>>3326861
>started at an extremely young age
>fed important advice on the craft from experts along the way
>probably in a very easy situation, she has no job or responsibilities to worry about
>extremely strong positive feedback that only makes her more confident and work harder, eliminating lethargy altogether
She isn't better she just has a great life. She's never going to paint or write nything like the most moving stories/paintings in history because she's never going to live the hardships that make for great themes and will be forgotten quickly after she necks herself like all the prodigies have.

>> No.3327277

>>3326861
akiane while being waifu material is pure /ic/ bait
she got good lessons when she was v young and dat high iq neuroplasticity
probably schizo
she's like 23 now and just doing repaints of her old shit hyper-realistically, it's boring and i actually feel bad for her cause she's now trapped being that one prodigy that paints god. secretly hoping she loses it and does some sick dark paintings of hell. one can only hope

>tldr a bright young gal was interested in painting so her parents decided to go whole hog and pay for her to Make It and she did because someone who gets master training at that age tends to do that

>> No.3327294
File: 1.71 MB, 1331x707, snackiane.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3327277
i forgot to say, the reason for my hope of her visions getting more fukked up is because she has recently done some pretty surreal shit, (moreso than portraits of jesus and eve at least) and i much prefer the direction of that

>> No.3327374

>started painting at 8
>paints for over four hours a day
>millionaire
>god literally spoke to her
>idaho

who the fuck is this bitch

>> No.3327384
File: 95 KB, 429x600, miles.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3326861

That girl´s paintings are not impressive and are mostly made by her dad´s. Also she had a good marketing and media campaign behind her. So they probably had some dollars invested into advertising her.

I did know of a guy named Miles Johnston. he used to win all teen challenges in ca.org and then started winning character challenges when he was 15, he was better than most adults in the boards and he was a pro in the industry shortly after, he wasn´t even 20.

Now he was impressive. The kid was crazy good but if i remember correctly came from an artists family and learnt all the fundamentals at a very young age from his parents. He had everything in his favor basically. He simply had to follow a straight path.

Once he started winning challenges he became friends with all the pros in the board who started mentoring and shilling him hard in the business, he didn´t even need to network much.

Some people simply have a mix of talent and good context, it happens but is not the norm to simply have it like that.

>> No.3327390

>>3327384
Didn't dave rapoza mentor him too? So jelly of the lad.

>> No.3327395

>>3327390

i am not sure, because dave rapoza himself was pretty noob in those days, i know they at least kinda entered the industry at the same time and are friends since those days, i heard a podcast with both of them in one of Dave´s channels some time ago.

Dave used to be called mr delicious lol, he had some wacky antics in his thread, he used to take weird pictures of himself , he was one of those guys who did went from totally crappy to successful in a very admirable span of time and i am happy he got to exploit his wacky humor in art form, Steve Lichman is quite funny.

>> No.3327401

>>3327395
Dave was in his sketchbook thread early on, and stopped him from being just a lazy typical artist. Told him what to draw and how much of it, and would then tell him off if he was lazy or give him more work once he'd finished the current thing.

>> No.3327406

>>3327401
How to get someone else to do this for you?

>> No.3327408

>>3327401

yeah, but that´s more of a friend, colleague mutual support thing. Since he was also on the same boat as Miles and not in a more advanced position. Dave only started getting popular and well know a few years after that time in CA.

>>3327406

you can enter the levelup or 10000 hours groups on facebook and see if someone is mentoring.

Dave´s crimson daggers is where a few artists i know got their shit together. I don´t think they are still doing them tough

>> No.3327417
File: 183 KB, 800x525, insect battle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3327408
Sure, it was just dave being nice, but he was ahead skillwise already, and miles was just some kid. Wasn't he like 15 or something when he started on CA?
I know Dave didn't get popular until his turtles but it was still a more skilled older guy helping a beginner artist in the right direction.

As to the other places, I think even if conceptart or crimsondaggers came back up to their peak activity there wouldn't be the same spirit to them. It's like any hobby or interest now, overrun with huge amounts of people who care less. 11 or 12 years ago there were less people overall, but people were more devoted to their interest, and forums and websites were more close knit. There was a sense of community and camaraderie that almost everywhere now lacks. Blame normies or whatever you want but it is what it is.

The LAS site had promise and built a small community, but too many people started just doing something halfassed to keep their streak going and that's it, not even looking at other people's work or talking in the threads. I like to think we could make a great git gud community like CA in the glorydays, but it requires effort, like a give and take, and most people are hooked on getting likes or reblogs now instead.

>> No.3327422

>>3326861
Who cares

This isn't gonna stop me from drawing anime tiddies

>> No.3327430

>>3327417
>Wasn't he like 15 or something when he started on CA?

but dude, Miles at 15 was crazy good already. Of course encouragement plays into it but he might have been even better or as good as Dave at that time.

That insect battle picture brings back some nostalgia, that was funny, it was actually how i learned about CA.

I don´t think is that realistic to praise CA so much, the community was pretty toxic and dramatic , they also have a very judgemental view on everything that wasnt some photobashed concept for a videogame and Jason Manley was an asshat. I see a lot of camaraderie in newer groups on other social networks but you have to look for it.

The character design challenges on fb are way better and with more varied results than CA challenges ever where, even CGhub was way better than CA while it lasted

In CA everyone just told you to read loomis and that´s it lol, "keep doing it brah, keep practicing brah, learn more anatomy brah" generic stuff.

No matter what level you were in, it wasnt like that illuminating, most artists who improved had their own material, mentorships and subjects of study irl. But i miss that feel of continuous progress you got from the sketchbook format.

>>3327417
>11 or 12 years ago there were less people overall, but people were more devoted to their interest

dude quality was also shit tier, people are way more competitve now on this field, specially since asians and russians took over. A lot of the older stuff that got praised in CA is pretty shit tier in today´s standards.

That was the ps2 era where developers where still kinda shit and the job was way easier for those who were already kinda pro. A lot of the older artists would not make it if they were entering AAA industry with the same level they had back then

>> No.3327433
File: 414 KB, 1000x665, march-1-2018.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3327384
he's no brian comforti

>> No.3327436

>>3327430
>dude quality was also shit tier, people are way more competitve now on this field, specially since asians and russians took over. A lot of the older stuff that got praised in CA is pretty shit tier in today´s standards.
>moving goal posts of what is considered "good"
I hate that you're so accurate about that. It feels like I'm in a rat race and light years behind the Russians and Chinese who've been enrolled in Bargue drawing lessons since they were 8 or all the Scandinavian artists with access to ateliers now.

>> No.3328975

>>3326861
Wow I wonder what her secret is (daily practice and study)
Huh

>> No.3328999

>>3326861
I think this sort of thing mostly just hurts you, anon.

>> No.3329007

>>3327430
>That was the ps2 era where developers where still kinda shit and the job was way easier for those who were already kinda pro. A lot of the older artists would not make it if they were entering AAA industry with the same level they had back then

Actually it's the exact opposite. Concept art quality on tiple A projects has gone down tremendously. Nowadays it's all super cheap looking photobashes. Illustration is where the quality has gone up, but not by nearly as much as you'd think. There used to be lots of oldschool traditionally trained western illustrators who would completely wipe the floor with the chinese and russian digital artists.

>> No.3329013

>>3327384

He's also a total Chad, the bastard. He's hard working and got social skills. No luck involved.

>> No.3329210

Looked up her website. She is obviously good at rendering, though she seemed to stagnate lately and is not really developing much anymore. Her best stuff were from "age 17".
Also i noticed how much the website focused on the whole age-thing. Nobody really cares about how old you are. Good stuff stands on its own regardless of age. That stuff may be special when you are a kid but once you are an adult nobody will care anymore. In general, i dont think it is good to have your ass kissed your whole life.

>> No.3329251 [DELETED] 

>>3329007

I absolutely disagree. Most Massive Blag guys would not be able to fina art direction jobs in AAA standards of today with the same level they had in the early 00s when they were doing just that and where getting their dicks sucked for decent/mediocre tier art

Most of them photobashed like hell too, just didn´t admit it because they were fags. Normies didn´t know because there was not much disclosure so for years they got a free pass lying about their process.

A lot of the faggots you see in gumroad selling Bash kits and tutorials on bashing are those same oldfags that never admited doing so.

>>3329007
>Nowadays it's all super cheap looking photobashes

It isn´t , theres simply much more quantity of products and developers so there´s a lot of more generic games and art directions, but even the shitty studios now at least have decent artwork, back then there were only a few kinda regular studios and then the rest of shit tier shovelware makers with awfull art and even the good studios had shitty art, like Blizzards diablo 2 garbage illustrations.

Look at the concept art from naughty dog mid 00s, or The Prince of Persia trilogy concepts , that shit is not even student level today. But was praised as fuck in the CA boards.

There also weren´t enough asians and europeans kicking burguer ass in burguer turf yet at that point and the art community online was pretty new still. Those small studios and developers got a free pass on a ton of money simply being ahead of the curve with the context, they still sucked balls in comparison. They´ll never have it as easy again.

>> No.3329255

>>3329007

I absolutely disagree. Most Massive Black guys would not be able to find art direction jobs in AAA standards of today with the same level they had in the early 00s when they were doing just that and where getting their dicks sucked for decent/mediocre tier art

Most of them photobashed , just didn´t admit it because they were fags. Normies didn´t know because there was not much disclosure and years they got a free pass lying about their process.

A lot of the fags you see in gumroad selling Bash kits and tutorials on bashing are those same oldfags that never admited doing so.

>>3329007
>Nowadays it's all super cheap looking photobashes

It isn´t , theres simply much more quantity of products and developers so there´s a lot of more generic games and art directions, but even the shitty studios now at least have decent artwork, back then there were only a few kinda regular studios and then the rest of shit tier shovelware makers with awfull art and even the good studios had shitty art, like Blizzards diablo 2 garbage illustrations.

Look at the concept art from naughty dog mid 00s, or The Prince of Persia trilogy concepts , that shit is not even student level today. But was praised as fuck in the CA boards.

There also weren´t enough asians and europeans kicking burguer ass in burguer turf yet at that point and the art community online was pretty new still. Those small studios and developers got a free pass on a ton of money simply being ahead of the curve with the context, they still sucked balls in comparison. They´ll never have it as easy again.

>> No.3329480

>>3326861
well retards on youtube make millions and have no talent, so at least good for this girl

>> No.3331769

>>3327271
that...is actually a pretty valid counter point.