[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 13 KB, 347x346, question mark.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3319657 No.3319657 [Reply] [Original]

So, I'm thinking about starting traditional art comissions since I need a quick buck and I don't have a drawing tablet.
It's gonna be some portraits made with HB, 2B and 6B pencil on a sheet of okay-ish quality paper. What would be a good price to request and what are some good way to advertise? I'm gonna limit the range to here in my city since I need to deliver the work.

>> No.3319858
File: 86 KB, 473x214, Clipboard02.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3319657

I'm bumping because I'm interested too. I'm working digitally though.

>> No.3319930

>>3319657
First of all, don't limit yourself to your city, thats dumb. Add an extra $7 to the total and ship that off with USPS flat rate priority mail. You'd miss out on a ton of potential customers by only servicing your city.

Secondly, the price will obviously depend on your skills, but do not undersell yourself. Charge enough to pay yourself AT LEAST minimum wage, and ideally 3 times that. So if minimum wage is $10/hr where you live charge between $10 and $30 per hour of work.

If you're decent (not a master, but certainly not awful), you should charge a minimum of $75-$150 per piece, and more if you're really good or the piece is very detailed.

Ideally I would get myself some higher quality (read: thicker) paper. This will not only make it so the drawings can withstand more damage, but it will make them "feel" more expensive, this justifying the higher price.

As for where to advertise, Etsy, Instagram, Tumblr, Facebook groups, Reddit (r/hungryartists is a good place to start, or you can hit the front page of a big subreddit with one of your pieces and people will come to you asking for commissions), Fiverr, Craigslist if you must.