[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 8 KB, 493x402, meh.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3315377 No.3315377 [Reply] [Original]

Has anyone here managed to get good without a natural enthusiasm/enjoyment for drawing? Just by forcing yourself to draw even though you find it a chore like doing homework?

>> No.3315381

>>3315377
If it's boring, you're probably not challenging yourself. If you don't wanna keep studying, you've probably taken enough information for a while and could use a break. The grind is a slog, but if you don't even enjoy little doodles for fun then you might want to think things over.

>> No.3315396

>>3315377
Why would you force to do something that you don't enjoy? It isn't like your life depends on it.

>> No.3315400

>>3315377
I was in a similar situation but was lucky enough to find a entertainment design course with older people (21-30) and it completely reinvigorated me.
Just having somewhere physical to go where your only goal is to learn to git gud, with other people who share interests and a teacher who is concentrated on the fundamentals (was great seeing stuff that I heard from feng zhu and peter han being repeated by the teacher with clear demonstrations) helped push me into getting to work on my own stuff.

If you don't have a similar option then the next best thing is to dedicate a room in your house or somwhere you can train yourself pavlovian style to associate with "getting shit done". Just a desk, a chair and drawing tools. For reference you could get a cheap tablet and mount it beside you, can also use it for pdfs for learning. If you want to be a digital artist then its gonna be harder but there you can get programs to disable internet between work hours etc and just focus on work.

>> No.3315411

>>3315400
>to find a entertainment design course with older people (21-30) and it completely reinvigorated me.
Not op. But I've the same problem you had. Luckily next week I'm attending a drawing course and I hope I meet new people their and so get my motivation back.

>> No.3315450

Doing art as a full-time job is hard enough if you're not enjoying it. If that's how you feel then honestly you're NGMI

>> No.3315470

are these threads reportable yet?

if you dont enjoy drawing dont fucking do it

>> No.3315489

>>3315470
i think OP's looking for that last piece of hope before he finally writes it off forever

he sounds like he enjoys the thought of being a good artist rather than putting in the work to become a good artist

>> No.3315580

Here's the trick no one tells you. The better you get at something, the funner it gets. Ever play a video game and suck at it? You die over and over, people are way better, you feel like shit. Then you play a game a ton, you get better and start kicking other people's asses. Then it starts to become fun. Art is the same way, it's difficult when you start, and that's not fun. But when you are able to make a bad ass painting and everyone tells you wow, you are so talented that is so cool, and you realize you can make anything you can imagine and bring it to life,mint gets a lot more fun, engaging and then you are at a point where there isn't enough time in the day because you have so much you want to do.

>> No.3315583

>>3315377
The whole point of getting good and "making it" is that people who enjoy art can do something they enjoy as a full time job. Why would you want this if you don't enjoy art?

>> No.3315585

>>3315377

Eat well
Workout
Get enough sleep

Clear your mind and learn not to give a fuck about other shit that is trying to bring you down.

>> No.3315587

People who say drawing is fun either are enjoying learning and the challenge and reward of improvement - not drawing and have a future goal in mind, or they don't care about improving and think their shit is good when it's garbage. The latter are the same type of people who post selfies of their food on Instagram and need constant validation from others or live in their own world of narcissism.

>> No.3315644

>>3315377
Sometimes its like getting a new game and its all I want to do, I can fly through drawing for 10 hours without thinking twice about it

Other times I don't feel like doing it at all, but just do it anyway, doesn't have to be a full 10 hrs but at least draw some. I've always found that as long as I don't stop entirely, that drive always finds its way back.

The last thing you want to do is stop entirely, just don't do that and you should be fine

>> No.3315645

>>3315377
define good

>> No.3315669

Yeah. I don't think I ever truly enjoyed drawing.

I just see it as a form of power. To be good at communicating yourself through drawing. To maintain yourself from the start to finish. Soemthing like that, naturally doesn't seem like it's supposed to be fun. And I love it when my drawings strike fear in lesser artists. I play coy and am all like 'dont be silly youre already frickin talented :DD' when inside I am pretty glad theyre realizing what a smear they are. Even better when they start to hate me.

Theres no enjoyment I guess but its its own reward. Perhaps the little things, like buying fresh supplies?

>> No.3315732

>>3315377
Even in your dream job, there will be tons of times when it will feel like work.

>> No.3315796

I fucking love drawing if I don't have to use my brain and can zone out. I fucking hate it when I am overwhelmed with problem solving and a bunch of shit that I get wrong and need to correct over and over. I hope I can get more relaxed enjoyment out of it if I keep working my way through the standard fundie books. I mean who the hell is enjoying himself when he works through "How to Draw" by Scott Robertson really diligently and tries to understand everything in it and do all the exercises? Every page makes me feel dumb and I have to re-read stuff and redo it lots of times until I can turn the page (it's a really good book though). How fun is doing Loomis heads when your construction lines look terrible for months until you get it half-right? I mean I could say "Fuck it, I am just going to doodle for the rest of my life." that would definitely be fun, but not meaningful.

>> No.3315821

>>3315669
That's pretty weak power.

I know that if I had taken a serious degree and gotten a real job, I would have much more money, and the small amount of power from that money far eclipses anything I might get from drawing... unless I get famous or something but that doesn't happen.

Seriously.. power from being a good artist? I doubt it. But I actually do enjoy art, so I can't say I've gone out of my way to try it.

>> No.3315893

>>3315821
I get huge affirmation out of drawing. But I have to show off occasionally or I'll give up.

>> No.3315908

>>3315893
Yeah, affirmation is different. I can definitely relate to that. Well.. when I had more friends.

>> No.3315917

>>3315377

If you think creating art is a chore then you shouldn't be an artist.

>> No.3315969 [DELETED] 

It's not that I don't like it it's that I'm not social and outgoing enough so 1/2 the time I get absorbed in drawing, I'm constantly battling very negative thoughts.

I also have bad self control about video games and can end up marathoning one game for five days while I'm supposed to be doing commissions. I've delayed commissions before because of games.

>> No.3315971
File: 354 KB, 266x242, 1518421992061.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

It's not that I don't like it it's that I'm not social and outgoing enough so 1/2 the time I get absorbed in drawing, I'm constantly battling very negative thoughts.

I also have bad self control about video games and can end up marathoning one game for five days while I'm supposed to be doing commissions. I've delayed commissions before because of games.

It's really a double edged sword because games were what inspired me to draw when I was a kid and now they're more of a vice. I can't buy or enjoy most new games because of the time needed to (I like JRPGs and other time intensive stuff) and the guilt that comes with it.

Once heard something I'll never forget from an industry pro: "Studios look for people who love games, not gamers".

>> No.3315990

>>3315971
Sometimes you have to sacrifice what you love to grow.

>> No.3316029

Nah. I tried that and burnt out in a few months. I went back into it after a long break, with less pressure and took things slow. I feel like I'm much better, more creative too.

Trying too hard makes you anxious and stiff, also makes you miserable while practicing. Slow things down, learn at a decent pace, not forced. You will retain much more and will be more relaxed in your work.

>> No.3316083

>>3315971
>"Studios look for people who love games, not gamers"
i think this is very true and sad. these people who love games never understood them, they dont play them, they just like the idea of them. This is how you get generic fucking artstation mechs and space marine designs. They don't have a vision, but they are autistically good at drawing.

maybe this is why i stopped liking the art direction in 90% of western games

>> No.3316127

>>3316083
I actually heard this from a 3D artist who is completely the opposite of everything you just mentioned so don't assume or get sad about it.

There's definitely a market for east-inspired stylized art, it's just out on the east coast for amerifats. Mostly in LA.

>> No.3316129

>>3316127
West coast* i'm a retard

>> No.3316132

Drawing is fun. Grinding boxes and loomis heads isn't.

>> No.3316192

>>3316132
How do I start drawing spontaneously again, all I can do is grind loomis heads and I wanna die because I'm not improving one bit
I wish I never got into this mindset

>> No.3316205

>>3316192
I'm still a beginner but I had the same issue until I got rid of perfectionism. I started to draw with a pen instead of a pencil since I used to erase more than actually drawing. I think this prevented me from learning from my mistakes.
Everything previously said might be unrelated to you but a mindset change is possible.

>> No.3317414

>>3315669
Stickly, is that you? So I'm actually not as talented at animation as you said? ;-;

>> No.3317712

>>3315580
trick there is that the game has to be interesting in the first place, otherwise your not willing to get good. i certainly don't want to grind xp in a game i have no interest in finishing.

>> No.3317722

>>3315377
If you want to "get good," what you need to understand is that "good" is an entirely subjective thing. To the viewer, it means "I like what I'm looking at." To the artist, it means "I draw what I like, and I'm actually pretty good at it." So what you need to decide is what you want out of drawing. To please a lot of people, or to draw the things you like. What you'll find eventually is that you won't have it both ways. What does "good" mean to you?

>> No.3317723

>>3317722
To add to this, "good" to a lot of people means a bunch of boring shit that you'll personally find no enjoyment in drawing. So you'll probably want to find your own definition of "good" and draw what you enjoy until you get "good" at it. Otherwise you are a fool living someone else's dream, and you will drown in your ideals.

>> No.3317728

>>3315377
It's called developing a habit.

>> No.3317847

>>3315669
>And I love it when my drawings strike fear in lesser artists.
Please leave the world of art. We don't need your type around.

>> No.3317857

>>3315381
Wrong.

>Deliberate practice isn’t much fun. Most people don’t enjoy doing activities that they’re not good at. It’s no fun to fail over and over again and receive criticism on how you can improve. No one likes to be humbled like that.

>> No.3318763

>>3317857
Who are you quoting?
Practice in anything can be very fun, even if there are painful aspects to it.
If you can't enjoy the "pain", you either haven't put in nearly enough hours or have a very weak personality.

>> No.3319031

>>3315377
Getting good is its own reward. Why not work and have something to be proud of looking back

>> No.3319088

Yes. I’ve gotten better even though I dislike drawing.

>> No.3319164
File: 15 KB, 268x265, 1306.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3315489
>he sounds like he enjoys the thought of being a good artist rather than putting in the work to become a good artist

...literally me.

>> No.3319217
File: 30 KB, 800x600, spärde.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If I enjoy drawing retarded mspaint shit, and enjoy drawing from photo reference, but don't really enjoy drawing when I don't know what the fuck I'm doing, will I enjoy drawing complex shit when I'm good at it?

>> No.3319221
File: 2.27 MB, 360x270, 2769A81A-696B-48FC-BC35-37AC3EE3EF69.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I don’t think I enjoy doing anything anymore (maybe watching movies) so I guess I’m fucked