[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 204 KB, 744x1074, supergirl_17_by_artgerm-dbukrmt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3313950 No.3313950 [Reply] [Original]

I am heavily considering going to art school in Singapore to be able to study under Artgerm.

What are the pros and cons of art school and is it really worth it? Can I replicate the results of art school by just grinding or does art school git you guder faster?

>> No.3313955

Some people are able to learn via classes and lectures, some are able to learn via reading and exercise and some can only learn best by experimenting by themselves. If you think youre able to pick up content in that kind of setting then go for it, anon. Just an internet input, please dont shit on me crabs

>> No.3313970

>>3313950
Don't disregard the benefits of a formal education. On the other hand, question everything your instructor tells you. Supplement your lessons with knowledge contained in books

>> No.3314013

>>3313950 are the little girl's eyes supposed to be unfocused as fuck? It looks like she got shot and is dead before she hits the ground

>> No.3314070

>>3313950
The most important parts of going to an art school are
1. Real world consequences for missing deadlines, a schedule and somewhere to work if needed
2. Peers to compare your work with, bounce ideas off and inspire competitive nature required to make it
3. Teachers provide direction, can introduce you to topics that you "didn't know you didn't know" and can (hopefully) lend you their trained eye in critique

Right here on /ic/ you can get the direction and knowledge you didn't know.
If you have good discipline you dont need the deadline consequences, someone elses schedule or a special place to work.
Supposedly /ic/ can also fill in for the peers and trained critique but good luck most days. Still you can find that all over the internet on conceptart forums or artstation or twitter or just showing your work to art directors you want to work for and asking for some quick feedback.

The thing art school and working by yourself both have in common is that you MUST spend most of your time alone, working on your stuff and constantly trying to catch your mistakes. If you spend 8 hours in class you should be spending another 4-6 after doing your own work to improve. A lot of art classes are just theory lectures that don't contribute to your mechanical skill at all.

For me I know that if I go to class and we are going over something like gesture drawing. If my homework is to do 15 two minute gestures over the weekend, I will do as many as I possibly can (easily 100 per day minimum) and cherry pick the best 15. Most people will just do the 15 and then when they graduate will wonder why their work is so shit compared to other people.

If you were working alone you need to spend the time the teacher would spend setting the curriculum, preparing each class, coming up with sufficient assignments (which you then do to exhaustion) and never being able to truely separate a learning environment from a home environment.

>> No.3314137

worthless degree

download some books, practice a lot and get the same result

>> No.3314392

>>3314137

Dangerous advice.

Sure that sounds good, and easy. After all, the degree itself is worthless.

But self-motivated education is fucking difficult as shit. You need a ridiculous amount of discipline to make it happen.

If you go to art school you get taught the same information but you're given assignments to complete and deadlines to meet and you have easy access to criticism and advice from both instructors and peers.

If you go the self-taught route you have to devise your own courses, your own assignments, your own deadlines and seek out criticism.

If I could do it over I would go to art school, no question.

>> No.3314452

I went to art school. It was worth it. I make art for a video game company. There's way too much misinformation out there. Especially on this board, you don't want to waste your time learning incorrect information. Even though that can happen in school with shitty teachers. Art school is grinding. Just a guided one, which makes it less likely you fuck up. The downside is that it costs money.

>> No.3314470

>>3313950
>saving the dog
>watching as the girl runs to her death amidst traffic

>> No.3314720
File: 350 KB, 900x500, not even once.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

art school is only worth it if you are absurdly rich and you feel you can make $900/month payments to college loans on top of regular expenses.

>> No.3314743

>>3313950
I hear it's worth studying under Artgerm just for the critique and the specifics he tells you. He even follows closely to trends and expects you to too.

>> No.3316979 [DELETED] 
File: 22 KB, 716x545, VKjFw7f.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3313950
the only pro of art school is you'll likely have immediate access to all art opportunities in the city; chances are dozens of local businesses are looking specifically for students at your art school to do internships, commission work, etc. it's a really easy way of getting your first freelance gigs and other real-world art experience. additionally, you'll probably see calls for exhibitions and other pop-ups as well.

good art school courses are often rigorous and extremely competitive, it's very easy to burn out by the time you get your diploma. the only cons are the costs and potentiality of having garbage instructors that waste your time when it comes to fine tuning whatever medium(s) you actually end up going with

>> No.3316982
File: 22 KB, 639x619, 5SpA1WM.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3313950
the only pro of art school is you'll likely have immediate access to all art opportunities in the city; chances are dozens of local businesses are looking specifically for students at your art school to do internships, commission work, etc. it's a really easy way of getting your first freelance gigs and other real-world art experience. additionally, you'll probably see calls for exhibitions and other pop-ups as well if that interests you. as an alumni I really only end up coming back for these listings

good art school courses are often rigorous and extremely competitive, it's very easy to burn out by the time you get your diploma. the only cons are the costs and potentiality of having garbage instructors that waste your time when it comes to fine tuning whatever medium(s) you actually end up going with. for instance my art school wasn't equipped for new media by the time I decided to double-down on it so I felt like the overall experience wasn't worth it

>> No.3317396

No, half of them are fags. I couldn't take it after 6 weeks and snapped. They'll arrest me for trespassing if I come back.