[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 179 KB, 900x677, Arm Pencil References.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3305421 No.3305421 [Reply] [Original]

What is the best way to help wean off of references for poses? I feel like my knowledge of anatomy can get a lot of basic poses down, but when it comes to more difficult foreshortening poses or twisting bodies, I start to flub.

I try to use references to learn from, but I feel like I'm getting dependent on them to "tell me what to do".

>> No.3305457

1. Attempt a drawing without ref
2. Study from a reference
3. Duplicate the pose from memory
4. Play around with perspective/ viewing angle

>> No.3305477

Can you draw a simplified structural figure from your head? Start with imaginary gestures then build up their volume/structure... If this seems impossible you need to do wayyyyy more life drawing.

>> No.3305489

>>3305421
i think doing completely different figures but based on the same pose might be helpful. like if you were to draw a big fat lady in the same pose as a thin man you'd have to consider a lot of new things about where the weight hangs, feminine lines the different stature, etc.

surely once you're used to considering those kinds of elements with reference it's a small leap to using an armature instead of a photo or a model or w/e

>> No.3305541

It's pretty fugging hart trying to memorize where every muscle group connects, and its shape. And then deforming them in perspective.

Well, every muscle is fundamentally an asymmetrical teardrop shape, but still. It's also hard to resist just winging that fucker and putting a nondescript bulge if there's a gap in your knowledge.