[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 156 KB, 518x634, Ic_1338018853574.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3245202 No.3245202 [Reply] [Original]

So while I'm drawing I'm constantly thinking of all the shit that's going on my life from my past mistakes to the things I should be doing right and in the future. Just a bajillion little things here and there. I'm always thinking a lot, my mind never rests and I feel like it might be affecting my art because it might not be as productive. I dunno. I should probably do some form of mediation but I'm overly analytical to the point where my brain can never stop thinking about shit. But yeah.

>> No.3245203

>>3245202
meditation*

>> No.3245211

>>3245202
I'm the same way, unless I enter the zone (where I don't think about anything and just autopilot).
I don't see any of it as a problem unless I notice that so much of my focus is on other stuff that I actively fuck up the drawing, if that happens I take a short break.

>> No.3245214

>>3245202
Does this come up while you're doing other things?

>> No.3245215

>>3245202
set yourself a little timer every 10 min. Everytime it buzzes, make sure your thoughts are not wondering off

>> No.3245216

>>3245211
Interesting
>>3245214
Yes.
>>3245215
Wouldn't that distract me even more? haha

>> No.3245217

>>3245216
Distract yourself with the focus on distracting yourself instead of being distracted by more stressful thoughts

>> No.3245223

>>3245216
Sounds like someone needs therapy~

Or yeah just look into meditation, it really helps.

>> No.3245239

>>3245223
I do. I'm borderline suicidal. I have so many regrets in life and I can't stop endlessly thinking about them. However, if I do get therapy it will go on my record and jeopardize(I'm doing government) my career thus making me more depressed. I've been exercising so that's helps a little bit. I also try meditating in the shower. The irony here is that even thiugh my depression is jeopardizing my art, I wouldn't have even got into art had I not been depressed lol

>> No.3245245

>>3245239
What country do you live in?

>> No.3245259

>>3245245
U.S

>> No.3245272

>>3245259
Dang, wish there's something I can offer to help, but all can really give is an internet hug. Best wishes, anon.

>> No.3246577

>>3245203
Jackie Chan doesn't meditate and neither should you.

>> No.3246579

>>3246577
this. you are only doing more not drawing.

>> No.3246580

>>3245239
Do cognitive behavioral therapy, free courses on the web.
Learn as much as you can about depression. Doctors don't know shit. I fixed my depression over several years. Much better now. Only got anxiety to deal with. It's possible to fix depression by yourself without drugs even if you have a chem imbalance. Meditation doesn't come into this, maybe just to reduce anxiety? Didn't work for me either way.

>> No.3246592

Again, you might not believe it, but your actions and emotions influence your endocrine output.
Easy proof - deep breathing influences vagus nerve and activates parasympathetic system. It's not crockery, see link:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-athletes-way/201705/diaphragmatic-breathing-exercises-and-your-vagus-nerve

This is the first one in google, can't be assed to find actual studies.

Moving on, you can influence your endocrine system with your actions. You can also do that with your emotions. Read clickbait like "trump is killing all trans", get a cortisol hit. Stress yourself out with bad thoughts, I'm unworthy etc - get a cortisol hit. Eventually your CNS gets used to operating in high-cortisol environment. You will seek out more rage-worthy news or "I'm unworthy"-type thoughts. It's self-reinforcing.

Same shit with depression. It's self reinforcing. Any state of mind can be self-reinforcing if it becomes your basic state. On the other hand, you can force yourself to go to a different state of mind - undepressed, happy, upbeat, angry in my case - and over time, you will train yourself, and your endocrine and CN system so that it's your basic state. You literally force your body to produce hormones and neurotransmitters relevant to the emotional state you force yourself to be in. It's hard to believe, but it worked for me.

Also, I'm not talking about serotonin and shit, because there's very little solid info that it's serotonin deficiency/imbalance that's behind depression. Most docs don't know this. This isn't conspiracy shit - it's how humans and healthcare works. Same reason most docs would tell you that full squats are bad for your knees.

So basically use cbt and conscious control of your emotions (force yourself to be happy) to beat depression. I used to feel like I'm unworthy to live, I felt like crying all the time (couldn't cry because males can't cry hurr), now I'm upbeat most of the time.

>> No.3246595

Can't be assed to write more/coherently because gotta work, I think I wrote everything you need to know. Cheers faggot.

>> No.3246757

>>3245202
Repetitive loud music helps me get in the zone and not think at all

>> No.3246780

I hope I'm not the only one that sometimes has homosexual thoughts when drawing from male model references. I do not think I'm gay, so it's unsettling.

>> No.3246805

>>3245202
Interesting, drawing is the only time I'm NOT thinking about all the shit that's going on in my life. It's like the time stops and I'm completely present, feeling the friction of pen on paper, visualizing, feeling the form... If you think you have to sit in lotus to meditate, you've been meme'd. The great masters of meditation do all the chores of their daily life, irrecognizable from us, but they meditate every step of the way, when working, when washing dishes etc.
Drawing is my mediation.

t. a buddhist

>> No.3246809

>>3245203
Just take medication. Sitting around all day won't fix that schizophrenia of yours.