[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 29 KB, 660x574, _91408619_55df76d5-2245-41c1-8031-07a4da3f313f.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3236495 No.3236495 [Reply] [Original]

I need some advice, but do having better tools (software) actually matters for an artist?

like better 3D tools, DAW, painting software, game engines will allow better profresional results of even mediocre artists?

>> No.3236503

No.
Software is not a replacement for technical skill.
Good software can streamline the process for a proficient and make it faster, but it will not make you a better artist.

There aren't any shortcuts. You gotta grind out the fundamentals, just like everyone else.

>> No.3236545
File: 663 KB, 1233x959, Crap.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3236495

Fundementals all the way. Software matters depending on what types of jobs you're shooting for. I'm practicing fundies, digital master studies, traditional stuff, sculpting and basic 3D all at the same time. It's fucking exhausting but I'd rather have multiple ways of problem solving when I'm looking for jobs/get an assignment.

I think there are multiple ways of getting good and mine is probably pretty fucking slow. I think that working like this is more fun though. I don't get bored as easily when I can keep switching techniques and after a REALLY long time I'll have a lot of tools at my disposal...

Anyways, programs you can check out if you want to (other than Photoshop and Painter):

- ZBrush (Keyshot optional) < Sculpting
- Fusion360 or MoI3D < Hard surface modeling
- Maya, 3DsMax, Modo, Blender etc. < 3D modeling, rigging/rendering
- Clip Studio Paint < Line art crap/comics
- Daz 3D < Posing stuff (Please don't just over paint them though Shit's awkward)

I don't think it's such a horrible idea to try different techniques/styles as /ic/ often makes it out to be as long as you're always practicing your fundies...

>> No.3236566

In addition to the above, feel free to check out whatever software you're interested in but do NOT ditch ye olde pencil & paper. I'm still trying to make up for years of bad habits that came up from using those programs exclusively thinking I could bypass the fundamentals. But you're most likely going to be using some set of softwares in the future so might as well start now.

>game engines
eh?

>> No.3238135

>>3236495
>I need some advice, but do having better tools (software) actually matters for an artist?
Yes

>like better 3D tools, DAW, painting software, game engines will allow better profresional results of even mediocre artists?
Possibly

But not in the way you want it to. You'll still be shit.