[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 78 KB, 1280x720, cd2611cd3b840582f57c88312c696b54ae7271f1f13d333690d166d52e551744.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3233944 No.3233944 [Reply] [Original]

I wanna be a comic book artist but I get bored of drawing really fast. I can draw more than an hour of day before getting really bored and distracted. I wasn't like this when I first started, I was always so excited to draw and I could do 6 hours a day but now I just don't have the motivation anymore.

>> No.3233951

Post your work

>> No.3233952

>>3233944
Hope you studied anatomy before you got bored.

>> No.3233966

>>3233952
That's literally all I fucking do. And then afterwards I try attempting something creative and get bored. Feels like work. Isn't creative stuff supposed to be fun?

>> No.3233973
File: 138 KB, 600x647, external-carotid-artery.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3233966
Then make use of it and neck yourself you whiny cunt.

>> No.3233976

>>3233944
Develop characters based off of different elements of your personality.

>> No.3233979

>>3233973
>>3233976
I have a lot of ideas, I just don't have any more motivation to execute them like I did in the past.

>> No.3233981

>>3233979
Then take requests from people off of /v/ or /a/

>> No.3233986

>>3233981
I don't think you understand what I'm saying. It doesn't matter what the idea is as I already have a lot of good ideas that I'm more interested in executing. It's just that, as soon as I start drawing it out I get extremely bored.

>> No.3233987

>>3233986
Haha what a faggot laugh at this guy
>motivation meme
>bored meme
How about you stop being a lazy mother fucker and whine in the feels thead

>> No.3233996

>>3233986
stop it den, no one cares

>> No.3234002

>>3233944
Take a year off or something. You clearly need a reset.

>> No.3234016

>>3233944
1st world problems. I hope all you lazy millenials end up dying in a fire or something.

>> No.3234017

>>3233944
>I wanna be a comic book artist
Stop wanting it and just do it. The result may be ass, but you will learn:
A) if all this studying is actually good for anything
B) whether this really is what you want

>>3233979
>>3233986
Everyone has ideas, they don't mean shit unless you do something with them. Holding on to them is as good as throwing them away

If you were drawing 6+ before, you're perfectly capable of that again. Change media or subject, set short-term deadlines, or plan long-term projects. Perseverance isn't something that can just be handed to you.

>> No.3234026

>>3234017
>>>3233944 (OP)
>>I wanna be a comic book artist
>Stop wanting it and just do it. The result may be ass, but you will learn:
>A) if all this studying is actually good for anything
>B) whether this really is what you want
>>>3233979
>>>3233986
>Everyone has ideas, they don't mean shit unless you do something with them. Holding on to them is as good as throwing them away
>If you were drawing 6+ before, you're perfectly capable of that again. Change media or subject, set short-term deadlines, or plan long-term projects. Perseverance isn't something that can just be handed to you.

This.
Couldn't agree more.

>> No.3234027
File: 90 KB, 910x287, StoryOfMyLife.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3233986
Having a cool idea and dreaming of the final result is like 50% of the feel good chemicals for 1% of the effort of actually putting in the hours. The monkey in your brain may be dumb but not enough to do 100 times more effort for just double-satisfaction. If there are no rewards, of course the monkey won't let you work in peace. Problem is we can't possibly know what your bananas are, only you can find that. Also if you can draw only 1 hour a day, maybe try a regular strip similar to Garfield or Calvin&Hobbes - just 1 page each time, see if it motivates you more.

>> No.3234029

>>3233987
>>3233996
>>3234002
>>3234016
>>3234017
>>3234026

I've done comics in the past and I have ideas for many more. You guys don't seem to understand what I'm saying. Whenever I attempt to make a comic or whatever, I just lose all motivation to continue. I get really bored in disinterested. I like my ideas and so have my fans, I just can't seem to make any comic work these days. I'm stuck.

It's been going on for the past few months. I've been trying to push through by trying to get at least an hour a day but it really feels like a chore. Like I'd rather do dishes and clean my room than draw comic even though I feel it's my life passion. I dunno.

>> No.3234054

>>3233944
You need motivation.

>> No.3234079

>>3233986
Tbh it seems like you just lost perspective. The reason you don't sit down 6h on your comic anymore is because you think it's worthless to spend time on. If you draw you could as well improve your skills and practice fundamentals, is that how you feel by any chance? Maybe I'm projecting here, but I had this problem and what helped me was figuring out what I want to draw and why and then practicing things that directly benefitted my current project (related subject studies, comic composition studies, etc.)
This made learning fun and immediately helped gaining more interest and ideas for my project. The more I took in from other sources, the more eager I was to try out things. Seperating studies and private projects is one of the biggest misconceptions I see here on /ic/. Don't wait until you're good enough and don't waste your energy learning things that neither interest nor benefit you. Be mindful in your studies and projects.

Also, take a break. I'd suggest you to just lay it off for a day or two and then have a long walk where you can figure out if and why you want to draw and how you want to go about it.

>> No.3234159

>>3234029
Have you been losing interest in other things as well? Getting bored with things you once you loved is an early sign of depression. It might be worth it to take a break and maybe evaluate your overall health.

This happened to me, and it's a struggle to even pick up a pencil still. But I'm slowly forcing myself back into art.

>> No.3234174

>>3234054
I do.
>>3234079
You know, that's exactly how I feel. I'm depressed but I've been depressed ever since I started art. I did use art as a coping mechanism in the beginning. But lately, I've been finding other ways to cope with my depression, meeting women, drinking, and working out. I guess maybe subonsciously, I don't feel that need to draw as much because I have other ways of releasing that depression. And yet, I still wanna continue this comic project, but I just don't have any motivation to continue. I'll take your suggestion about taking a break, maybe that's what I need to recharge myself.
>>3234159
My whole life i've been getting bored of things after doing it for like 2 years. In the past I've done many kinds of sports and gaming as well.

>> No.3234232

Why isn't this in feel thread and why does it always get replies.

>> No.3234319

>>3233951
/thread

>> No.3234439
File: 10 KB, 348x319, moonface.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>> I wanna be a comic book artist
>>> I get bored of drawing really fast

maybe that is not the right career for you

>> No.3234497

>>3234174
>meeting women
Okay if you search for a relationship, bad if you just look for casual sex, it won't fulfill you. I'd suggest focusing on hanging out with friends/ finding a group of friends before meeting women to be honest.
If you go for a relationship, find someone who doesn't feed your bad habits. Someone that is pushing you to improve yourself as a person. Relationships are hard work from both parts, you won't find happiness in a one-sided relationship, keep that in mind.

>drinking
Bad habit. I'd stop as long as you can. Only drink in a social context.
Alcohol is not only bad for your health and money, but you will also get into a habit of being either too drunk or too hung over to properly concentrate (for example on your comic)

>working out
Good. Make sure to watch your diet, otherwise it's pointless, unless the act of working out itself is fun for you. Personally I prefer team sports.

What you need to ask yourself is what makes you happy. What fulfills you. Nothing is always fun, but really investing in a hobby can bring you fulfillment. If you, for example, are dead set on finishing a project, you will think more about how you want to spend time and how to improve yourself and your work.

Also don't listen to the people who say "just quit" or "not gonna make it", most of them are just bitter or delusional about their own progress or haven't faced any hardships in their artistic path yet.

And go see a doctor if you have chronic depression.

>>3234027
Despite the dumb percentages, this is very solid advise.
Also learn to delve deeper into an idea, OP. If you only scratch the surface and then move on to another project you will not be able to write a truely good story. Look up worldbuilder's desease.
Did you ever finish a script, storyboard or comic, OP?

>> No.3234690

>>3234029
Congrats, it's called ADHD. You have a mental disorder.

>> No.3234736
File: 465 KB, 686x1029, IMAG002 (2).gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Refine your processes.

I tried doing a graphic novel that had a ton of fiddly work to produce:draw each element in pencil,scan into computer,clean up and isolate images and hammer everything into panels. The benefit of doing it this way was being able to recycle stuff like backgrounds and props as needed,but doing it was tedious as hell. So my next attempt years later was a newspaper sized strip that minimalized the tedium. You can probably change the scope and flow of your story to reflect this idea without sacrificing quality.

>> No.3234934
File: 36 KB, 500x375, 149323934214.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

As someone who wants to tell a story but has never written anything in his entire life, what are some things I should learn to deliver a good read?

The visual aspect of it doesn't bother me too much since I'm not looking for anything visually impressive, just want my story to be engaging.

>> No.3234986
File: 74 KB, 600x200, images.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3233944
I am sort of the same way.
My solution is to draw faster. Do six 1 hour drawings, and you'll have drawn for 6 hours.
Split a drawing into 6 parts and draw 1 hour on each part, and you'll have a 6 hour drawing.
Eventually you'll get over your limitation.

A way to draw faster (for practice purposes) is also to only work with permanent mediums. Go full KJG and just force it down, even if it looks like complete shit.
You'll work up a faster pace eventually, so when you do the real art, you'll be more secure AND have a faster pace.

>> No.3235079

>>3234029
>>3234174
Have you tried doing something new & completely different to art? Look at things from a whole new perspective

If so, do you not find yourself itching to draw again? To turn that experience into art? This has worked for me in the past

>> No.3236093

>>3233944
Is this a career or a hobby for you?
Careers aren't fun, and art will likely not make you a lot of money.

I would suggest taking a side job to show you your alternatives.

Minimum wage is better.

Once you see how good you had it you'll probably be a lot more motivated.

Start exercising and taking vitamin D just in case this is a symptom of a depression.