[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 959 KB, 3718x2092, Rpefjbb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3209708 No.3209708 [Reply] [Original]

Will this course actually improve my line quality or should I go back to drawing a box :^)

>> No.3209729

It's for pussies who are too afraid to practice trough real artwork and just want to mindlessly grind out their brains.

>> No.3209732

>>3209708
No this is for people who want to decorate their journal..

Please, go to life drawing classes. Draw large, use your arm and body to draw, not just your fingernails. Block in shading using the side of your conte stick. Hopefully people there know about gesture drawing, cuz you need to do that to get better sooner.

Next to that, I find that painting really helps with understanding form. I'd recommend a large 21 Inch plus cintiq to practise if ur serious about it, otherwise, acryllics are fine too for irl stuff. Just dilute the paint.. Loads of people don't when they start and everything becomes very uncontrollable very quickly.

>> No.3209749

>>3209729
>>3209732
Huh. Alright. Thank you both.
I've been doing what you recommended for the most part, but my line quality has never really been on par with my peers, so I thought this might help improve it. I will go back to doing actual art. Though I might still do this on the side, it'll not be my main focus.

>> No.3209993

Dynamic Sketching is what Draw a Box was copied from. It’s better than Draw a Box.

>will this course actually improve my line quality

Only if you apply it correctly, which you aren’t. Be completely present when you do the line copy-over exercise. Work to make each successive line a match to the first.

>> No.3210018

It is a good exercise when you're first starting, just to get you into the mindset that these are dexterity based techniques that need practice.

The box drawing thing seems like it's been blown way out of proportion by beginners memeing it to each other. Endlessly drawing boxes will only make you better at drawing boxes. If you want to get better at figure construction, you need to practice figure construction, if you want to be better at painting values, you need to paint values. Drawing boxes is a good exercise to get you thinking in 3D, but it's just an exercise. Do it until you understand it and then move on to more challenging things.

My line quality seemed to improve mostly from just putting in time learning figure drawing. If you're intent on improving the quality of your lines, it's going to happen naturally.

When I was a beginner I copied out of Bridgman books a lot until I could copy them accurately and cleanly, along with just trying to copy photos and artists I liked. That'll get you a lot farther than just drawing a bunch of lines and boxes, and you'll be learning a lot more.

>> No.3210022

>>3209993
>Only if you apply it correctly, which you aren’t. Be completely present when you do the line copy-over exercise. Work to make each successive line a match to the first.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if one could do that wouldn't they have no need for the exercise in the first place because they already have good enough line control to be able to do that?

>> No.3210028

If you can't perfectly draw vertical, horizontal, perpendicular and parallel lines then you are benniner lever, so practice your line control, a lot, is key.

Also, mastering drawing simple shapes from every angle and perspective is important, if you can't even do that, what makes you think you'll be able to draw the human figure?

>> No.3210033

>>3210022

Yes. Don't worry about it, I couldn't do it at first either, regardless of how focused I was. Shit takes time to get good at.

>> No.3210037

>>3210022
The goal is perfection. The expectation for a beginner is less than perfection, but still a better result than THAT.

>> No.3210038

>expecting anyone here to tell you

Less than 2% actually went through both of those courses despite it being free* to download. People here would rather type out long paragraphs like >>3210018

>> No.3210045

>>3210037

Don't be an ass. He's better at it than I was when I started, and 3 years later I don't have a problem with clean lines. Just keep putting in the hours drawing OP.

>> No.3210055

>>3210038

I would rather type out long paragraphs? Did you think that one through before you wrote it?

I don't even think draw-a-box was a thing when I started drawing, by the way

>> No.3210064

>>3210055

I thought it through alright and you have 0 clue what you or everyone else ITT is talking about because none of you have cleared the content OP is talking about period.

>> No.3210076

>>3210055
What anon means is that you haven't gone through Dynamic Sketching and he's right because DS isn't just line exercises.