[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 15 KB, 1359x151, d4ec9db85d8432082cc58e1a26a2df2b.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2954086 No.2954086 [Reply] [Original]

Does anyone have or know where to find these original Craig Mullins painting process videos?

I have tried googling it, but even the reuploads have been taken, which is undestandable since it goes back to 2007.

I would really like to see his early process.

>> No.2954117
File: 44 KB, 579x379, tank_in_street.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2954086
I've seen the tank and bridge ones. Tank one as of a few years ago was still being hosted on some asian equivalent of youtube, possibly in a few parts. The bridge one if I recall correctly is more of a sped up thing with like 10 frames and not very useful. Honestly you're not missing much. They're seriously ancient, I think he recorded them like around 2001 or so. They're entirely unimpressive by today's standards, and are low res. The tank one I think was done with a mouse, and the others may have been as well.

Even as a huge fan of his work I don't find them interesting. If you want to see him paint there are several demos he's done more recently. He did a floating ship over an Ian McQue sketch, he did a demo at THU (I haven't seen it, but I think you can purchase the event and his demo is in there), and he did the Gnomon vid with the snow archer.

Pic related is the tank he paints, and it's pretty basic stuff, he lays in a gradient to start I think then puts in the silhouette of the tank and just very slowly paints the scene. A

>> No.2954123

>>2954117
oh ok i see, it may be a bit too early. I just liked the idea of him painting before he used the mixer brush and such as he does in the Ian sketch.

But okay, glad to know im not missing out.

>> No.2954124

>>2954117
Okay I just checked and the tank videos seem to still be on Youku. The site isn't in English but you can still search his name and the videos will show up. I didn't bother testing if it works since I was satisfied seeing the thumbnails there, but I think it makes you wait for a bit before the video starts so have some patience.

>> No.2954126

>>2954124
nice, know about the sink one? or is just as ancient?

>> No.2954130
File: 118 KB, 640x800, sink.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2954126
Yeah equally as ancient. I don't think I've seen it, but I know it's a very old thing. I'm guessing it was for pic related, but I'm not certain.

>> No.2954131

>>2954130
oh, yea ok. guess he was never that good at spilling the beans.

Thanks tho

>> No.2954135

>>2954131
No problem. I'm a little annoyed actually that google doesn't show results for sijun stuff anymore. I used to google passages from sijun pdf and find the exact threads so I could read the full discussions as well as see the dates for things like this. When I checked just now though to see when he posted the sink video google didn't show the thread, and I seem to have noticed this in general now. Pretty annoying.

>> No.2954161

>>2954131
>guess he was never that good at spilling the beans.
Also just wanted to comment on this which sounds really weird to me. He literally left behind thousands of forum posts where he talks about his thoughts and opinions on just about everything, detailing a lot of things in art and technical "secrets" of the time. He has numerous live demos/lectures, he's done a mentorship program, he has posted lots of quick sketches and thing that most other pros would keep to themselves, he's posts step-by-step process shots and at least one full psd with layers, he's uploaded videos of him painting, he's shared his brushes, he has done paint overs for people, back on the forums he even occasionally broke nda to post images that helped him make his point, he has done several interview etc etc etc. I honestly have learned more from him about than from any other source, simple because of how open he has been to sharing information. I think you are really misrepresenting him to say "he was never that good at spilling the beans" when he's shared more than just about any other artist. Nowadays he doesn't take part in any online social media stuff, and he has always been somewhat private about his personal life (barring old stories of him at art center or something), but he has given away gold mountains of art knowledge and information about his process.

>> No.2954568

>>2954161
Oh, well i didnt mean to disrespect Mr Craigs. He's one of my favorite artists. I just joined the game pretty late, so most of the things i can find are either ancient or gone by now

>> No.2954590

>>2954161
>Craig Mullins
Where to find this stuff anon?

>> No.2954904

>>2954590
Google around for the Craig Mullins Sijun pdf, which contains all the forum posts he made. It's hundreds of pages long. Otherwise the Gnomon videos he did are fantastic, there's a lot of short videos in it where he discusses different things then there is a demo he does, you can probably find a torrent of it as I don't know if it is still for sale. His mentorship thing was through Schoolism and it was a lot of 1 on 1 stuff with people who joined/paid for it. I don't think any of it has been released. Other stuff you can find by googling around.

>> No.2954933
File: 261 KB, 993x655, Mullins_VK.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

For those who are interested you can watch his entire Gnomon Workshop masterclass on VK for free; its a Russian social media site, if you just sign up and search his name you'll find a dozen videos of from that class. He talks some really good shit on those vids. As far as I'm aware those videos are no longer available on Gnomon's website.

>> No.2954958

>>2954933
VK is a nightmare to register for. Need to provide a cell phone # for text verification and there is something like a 50/50 chance it'll work right.

>> No.2954972

>>2954958
Ah I forgot about that, since its been a while since I signed up; I only signed up to be able to watch those videos but I didn't have any problems personally