[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 113 KB, 1024x1024, 1492157548856.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2940570 No.2940570 [Reply] [Original]

>working a comic for months
>Watch relatively popular tv show
>One of the fucking main characters looks and feels painfully similar to the OC main character of my comic

>> No.2940583

>working a comic for months
>at some point become convinced you "stole" not just a character, but entire scenes with the character from somewhere, but you don't know where from or even if you really did

>> No.2940585

That's inevitable, OP. If it's really that similar, think of minor ways you can change your character, especially visually. There's only so many personalities you can do, and only so many designs you can do, but together you have nigh infinite possibilities. You're always going to have something similar to something else, but as long as it's not exactly the same no one can really complain. Sometimes people even like it, hence all the crossover stuff out there.

[spoilertagson/ic/]One of my characters is rather like Star Butterfly, but after worrying about it for a while, I realized they're really not as close as I first thought and just kept going.[/spoiler]

>> No.2940610

just make 'em black. works every time

>> No.2940655

Post em

>> No.2940869

>>2940585
Well you can combine personality traits until you get some form of undiscovered raging autist.

That's pretty much what I did for the MC of the comic I'm making

>> No.2940892

>>2940570
Post you Character.

>> No.2940919

Samurai Jack is literally Ronin but no one cares because the execution of the two is entirely different.

>> No.2940950

>>2940570
This character was based on something else. Nothing is 100% original. Read TV Tropes page about this TV Show.

Also the TV character falls on one of the MBTI personality.

>> No.2941169
File: 64 KB, 633x758, father wojak.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>try writting something
>everytime I realize i'm just re writting Slayers with a different gimmick

>> No.2941183

>>2941169
"Gimmick" is one of the worst fucking words in the English language. All it means is "unique, but in a way I don't like". You could describe literally anything that way. Portal? That's just an fps, but the gimmick is you shoot portals instead of bullets. 2001: A Space Odyssey? That's just a space movie, but the gimmick is it's really slow. Romeo & Juliet? That's just a teen romance, but the gimmick is they're from warring families.

Nothing is original. If you have even one thing unique about your piece, you're ahead of 90% of the pack.

>> No.2942331

>be refining a character for 12 years
>before Kaito from vocaloids was made
>character's name was even Kaito
>find vocaloids
>same basic design and name
>had to change everything

>> No.2942368

>>2940570
"There is no such thing as originality, only authenticity."

Stop trying to make things in a vacuum. The writers responsible for all of your favorite artifacts are hacks who scarcely had an original thought. Creativity is simply a new association of two old things.

Don't shy away from it. Genius steals.

>> No.2944841

>>2940583
welcome to stand up comedy

>> No.2944890

>>2941183
You're wrong, gimmick doesn't mean "unique but in a way that i don't like". A gimmick is a cheap device employed to rake in casual attention. I wouldn't call any of the plot/game play devices in the media that you mentioned "gimmicks" because they're not using a cheap superficial sense of novelty to trick normies into paying attention - they're all just legitimately challenging forms and elaborating on genres - in a way that is meaningful and in a way that enhances their content. Sure nothing is original, but "gimmick" implies that what's being done is inherently shallow - not pushing against boundaries (as the media you referenced arguably does).
THAT being said, I can agree that the word is often bastardized here - as with all internet colloquialisms.

>> No.2944893
File: 18 KB, 509x411, e88.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2940583

If I ever got off my lazy butt and made something of my life and created a webcomic, this feeling would eat me alive.

>> No.2944906
File: 87 KB, 526x615, pepe.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

There's nothing original under the sun.

Whenever I come up with a great idea, I google it, and inevitably someone beat me to it. If I let that discourage me from doing an idea that excited me I'd never get anything done.

Do your thing. If you're worried it's too samey to the other thing, introduce something different to make it unique, but you don't need to take the entire thing back to the drawing board. Add a personal touch, don't strive for 100% uniqueness. Nobody cares about 100% uniqueness, in fact, most people dislike 100% uniqueness. Literally nobody will care if you invented something totally new if it's completely unrelated to anything that interests them.

I think a good ratio is 70-80% familiar, 20-30% fresh. If you're drawing orcs, you want people to intuitively know it's an orc without you having to label it, buy you don't want it to be completely generic.

>> No.2944923

>>2944906
I first thought this was an image of a small pepe praying to a boat.

>> No.2945009

I worked out "unique" settings in the past. My two cents: 1st ideas are cheap and any idea can be developed into an appealing product. 2nd concepts mean nothing if you can't develop them into said product. Originality is only the cherry on top of the cake you want to sell. It's overrated. Learn to steal, know your sources, cooperate with others.