[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 30 KB, 631x485, FB_IMG_1477537426798.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2914711 No.2914711 [Reply] [Original]

My mother really likes my drawings and she insists on me taking an art course, but i'm kinda sceptic about it, I don't know if it's going to help me because I heard from some artists that art courses are just boring and not helpful
I would really appreciate if anyone talked about their experience if they have taken an art course
Thanks, /ic/

>> No.2914743

>>2914711
Yes, taking art courses downloaded from cgpeers at no cost to you or your family is usually worthwhile.

>> No.2914744

>>2914743
>tfw your family doesn't believe online courses are good

>> No.2914754

>>2914711
I took an introductory art class at a community college and it taught me things that I have never found anywhere else.
The studio environment and seeing the work of others also really helps. You're also forced to draw 3+ hrs/day

>> No.2914755

>>2914754
>You're also forced to draw 3+ hrs/day
I think this was the best part of taking an actual class was that it got you drawing because you've deadlines and if you care, you don't want it to look like shit either. I think I improved a ton just because of mileage.

>> No.2915048

>The studio environment and seeing the work of others also really helps. You're also forced to draw 3+ hrs/day

This, this, this. I personally hate art school, but love the classroom enviroment since it's nice to see how other people approach similar problems. I also suggest life drawing classes, if you live in a college town there's likely to be one open to the community, so you can interact with a wealth of artist.

>> No.2915207

>>2914711
There's a difference between an art course and art college. An art course you can pick up or drop off at any time can be absolutely worth it if you find one that offers the kind of skills you're looking for. If you want to get good, don't hesitate to throw a little money around to get there, just don't set yourself up to be a debt slave for the next couple decades on like you would with most colleges if you're in the U.S.

>> No.2915814

>>2914711
It's absolutely worth spending some time with a good teacher.

There are a lot of formal techniques to drawing that will save you reinventing the wheel. Also getting into a new medium, the voice of experience will give you a huge leg up

For example, if you want to learn watercolor, you'd waste a bunch of your time and money without someone explaining what watercolor paper to use, how to stretch it to a board, how the pigments work, etc.

The rest is all trial and error on your part, but that leg up will save you from giving up before you've begun

>> No.2915830

>>2914711
>I heard from some artists that art courses are just boring and not helpful

It's because most art courses are shit. However, a good art course and a good mentor will help you save time and effort than doing it all yourself.

Online art videos and courses can be found on cgpeers, but an in-person class also helps. Go here for a list of ateliers that offer good fundamental training: https://www.artrenewal.org/pages/ateliers.php

>> No.2915861

How do the people in your link know which places are good for classes? I'm not trying to be dickish but what makes them qualified to determine that?

>> No.2916594

>>2915861
>qualified