[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 115 KB, 1280x720, received_1393634657368202.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2877407 No.2877407 [Reply] [Original]

"Practice on paper before moving to digital" why? Why draw on paper? I've got a cintiq, and a note 10.1 and while I suck at drawing, why should I waste paper when I can draw on my tablet while outside?

>> No.2877409

>>2877407
To learn and understand our pain and how much technology has helped us
Kids these days always wanting to skip the important lessons

>> No.2877412

>>2877409
Why should I care

>> No.2877413

>>2877407
I think an argument can be made that digital is nowhere near as tactile as traditional yet, and nowhere near as easy to control in terms of getting varied mark making. So if you have traditional skills you have a better idea of what subtleties are possible and might be more likely to try to reproduce them while painting digitally. But if you just wanna paint like sakimichan, don't worry about it.

>> No.2877419

>>2877413
I want to character design, don't care bout much painterly reproduction or etc. I'd like to draw like cubebrush.

>> No.2877426
File: 494 KB, 200x200, 1452738912092.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>I've got a cintiq
>and while I suck at drawing

Get Daddy's cock out of your mouth and learn to draw before trying to tell people what the most effective way to learn to draw is.

>> No.2877429

>>2877426
Bitch I've got that cintiq second hand for less than 1k, working regular job, so piss off

>> No.2877434

>>2877429

It's mostly done because learning and understand fundamentals is way easier on paper than on the tablet, as perspective for example plus it takes your mind away from having to learn software in the beginning, but really. It's up to you.

>> No.2877437

You don't need to start with traditional, it just helps.

Lots of digital artists have a very, very inefficient workflow due to the forgiving nature of the medium. Some time spent with a pen and paper would teach you a lot of lessons that ctrl Z doesn't, and the skills generally transfer considerably better from traditional to digital than vice versa. Working with pen, for example, will teach you to work deliberately, plan ahead, etc. Whereas many digital artists (beginners especially) just go for "try again and again and again until you get a happy accident".

I started digital and still predominantly use digital, but I took the time to do shit like Inktober and keeping a sketchbook as well, and I can confidently say that I learned a lot from having that experience that I wouldn't have if I exclusively did digital. Not the least because in my opinion the limitations inherent in traditional art force you to sometimes find creative solutions, and creative solutions can often look quite appealing. The mediums you use dictate how you tackle a problem, and having the massive toolbox of digital can often result in rather uninspired approaches.

At the end of the day, if you were forced to make a choice between traditional and digital, the smart money is on digital. But nobody is forcing you to make a choice, you can and SHOULD experiment with your medium and expand your knowledge. You can learn a lot getting outside of your comfort zone. Traditional is not obsolete, and actually combining it with a digital workflow is excellent to get good results.

>> No.2877440

>>2877429

Why are you worried about "wasting paper" when you sank nearly a fucking grand on a hobby you're still shit at?

>> No.2877446

>>2877440
/thread

Some people have absolutely no sense of perspective.

>> No.2877456

>>2877419
never gonna make it with those meme dreams

>> No.2877459

Have fun ctrl z'ing every time you draw you absolite pleb.

>> No.2877470

>>2877407

Paper is easier to learn with.

>> No.2877486

>>2877407
Because you'll get distracted by all the stabilizers, filters, ctrl+z, tranform tools, layers and all those little gimmicks that have nothing to do with drawing that you'll forget about the actual drawing. Also, your drawings will always have that derived watery feel to it that you can see on people who started with anime instead of realism - start with the foundation, then branch off. Saves you time in the long run.

>> No.2877523

>>2877407
>I suck at drawing
>has cintiq
>has not 10.1
>I suck at drawing

You have no concept of what you're doing. Sit in the back of the class drawing on your expensive tools and flaunt them around, then sit and watch the person drawing their asses off on a piece of paper while you aimlessly play with the buttons on your device.

You see them erase again and again. You mock them for wasting paper, needlessly using a pencil worn down to the nub, spilling ink all over the place and having to start from scratch again.

You'll laugh and play the popular kid in art class, while the rest of us make a mess on paper.

At the end of the semester, your teacher will ask you to turn in your work. You'll turn around to your desk and see that you forgot your work at home, sitting on your desk charging its battery. You'll make a few excuses, like you always do when you leave your tablet at home or, you can't take your tablet out in the rain or, you accidentally deleted your file for the upteenth time.

You're going to remember that person you laughed at in the beginning of the semester. All those hours spent toiling away on a piece of paper have finally begun to bear results.

The teacher will ask, "And you, do you have your work finished?"

The traditional medium will answer,"No, I left my work at home as well. But I can draw you what I've learned over the semester for you here, and now."

They break out their pencil worn down to the nub, pull out a piece of paper and draw something applicable withing a half hour's time.

The teacher will then ask both digital and traditional, "What did you both learn this semester."

The digital will answer, "How to use filters, layers, saturation, and how to properly use Control+Z effectively."

The traditional will answer, "How to make mistakes and learn to correct them. I learned how to use my tools correctly so that I don't wear them down to the nub anymore or, spill them all over my workplace."

Good luck on your tablet, kid. Have fun.

>> No.2877947

>>2877429
1000 dollars is 200 reams of copy paper at $5 per ream. Each ream typically 500 sheets which gives 100,000 sheets of paper. Each is also double sided so that's space for 200,000 pages of sketches and studies. Judging by your autistic posts in this thread I doubt you'd even get to page 200 let alone 200,000.

>> No.2877967

>>2877407
Cause Cintiq's, whilst more useful and better than last gen, still feels like fucking with a rubber dick.

>> No.2877975

My paintings will be around for hundreds of years (possible over a thousand if on wood panel, we don't know because painting hasn't been around in that form long enough but Van Eyck's work has been around for 600 years).

Your digital drawings will probably get deleted or forgot about within a couple of decades.

Your legacy to future generations and your children will be nil.

>> No.2877985

>>2877407
Still looks better than digital.

>> No.2878003

>>2877975
Most paintings end up in the garbage at some point.

>> No.2878005

>>2878003
Depends how good they are/how famous you become.

>> No.2878010

First 3 years of learning I used only sketch pencils and papers.

I use a tablet now and I still suck but at least I feel better about it!

>> No.2878017

>>2878005

And why would a famous digital artist not have prints and why is it assured that digitized work will vanish, if widely shared?

>> No.2878020
File: 442 KB, 1280x960, Double Take 2Part 500 3Hole.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2877947

This.

And just for perspective, look at this image, then multiply that by 100.

>> No.2878022

>>2878017
Authenticity and a good source, not to mention image degradation becomes an issue with relying on shared images for longevity.

Prints do not have anywhere near to colour spectrum as paints and the innumerable amount of pigments that make them up, also they don't last as long.

>> No.2878028

>>2877523
is this a copypasta I was unaware of?

>> No.2878067

>>2877407
The fact that you have a cintiq and can't draw along with making this thread makes me irrationally angry and I don't have anything to say here other than I hate you and I hope you get some nasty foot fungus

>> No.2878071

>>2878067
Post your work

>> No.2878074
File: 126 KB, 1024x703, file.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2878071
Here is one

>> No.2878216

>>2878022
Why not just use a lossless file type then?

>> No.2878217

>>2877967
>still feel like fucking with a rubber dick
So a strap on then?

>> No.2878222

>>2877429
Don't quit your day job

>> No.2878230
File: 138 KB, 350x350, Naamloos-2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2877446
OP himself said he's shit at drawing, so having no sense of perspective is a given

>> No.2878397

>>2878230
I don't think you're Carlosposting correctly

>> No.2878398
File: 116 KB, 625x409, enhanced-buzz-1381-1371742191-7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2878230
>>2878397
looks like this guy didnt have the right perspective on the issue

>> No.2878399

>>2878398
CAAAAAAARLOOOOOOOOS!

>> No.2878466

>>2877407
Because pencil and paper is fundamental. You can buy all the art gadgets you want but if you lack fundamentals it will be obvious in any medium.

>> No.2878468

>>2877440
/thread

>> No.2878474

>>2877523
topkek

>> No.2878491

>Buy a Cintiq right from the get go.
>Traditional improves leaps and bounds without me even touching it.

People in this thread have no idea what they're talking about.
Drawing on a screen will improve your traditional like a motherfucker and it's quite different from a normal tablet.
Though I think the rapid improvement is most likely due to the crappier control you have over the tablet pen, so you need to really fine tune your body to get proper lines done on the somewhat slippery surface.
This translates to amazing control when doing traditional.
And to anyone using a Cintiq, get the thinner classic pen.
The default is too damn thick and doesn't register the lower pressure levels nearly as well.
I think they're shipping some cucked versions of the pens with the tablet and to get the full benefit, you need to buy one of the aftermarket pens.

>> No.2878521

>>2878491
Prove it. Post some of your work.

And take everything you said, and reverse the logic. That's what traditional does for you when integrating it into a digital platform.

Here, I fixed it for you:

People in this thread KNOW what they're talking about.
Drawing on PAPER will improve your DIGITAL like a motherfucker and it's quite different from a DRAWING ON A TABLET.
Though I think the rapid improvement is most likely due to the crappier control you have over your PENCIL, so you need to really fine tune your PRACTICE to get proper lines done on the somewhat slippery surface LIKE A SCREEN.
This translates to amazing control when doing DIGITAL.
And to anyone using a Cintiq, get the thinner classic pen.
The default is too damn thick and doesn't register the lower pressure levels nearly as well.
I think they're shipping some cucked versions of the pens with the tablet and to get the full benefit, you need to buy one of the aftermarket pens.

Left the last part alone because we need to know how shitty the styluses are when buying a CINTIQ.

>> No.2878526

>>2878022
>Prints do not have anywhere near to colour spectrum as paints
Where the fuck do you print stuff?

>> No.2878530

>>2878521
What the fuck even
Reversing what someone said isn't a point you dumb shit

>> No.2878535

>>2878530
You salty because they got to it before you did, bro? Me too. :)

>> No.2878540

>>2878530
Unless you're the digital pinhead who posted this, >>2878491 , in which case, I had every right to take your words and rearrange your flawed logic.

>> No.2878544

>cheaper to start with so you don't feel pressured into continuing
>paper is generally easier to carry around
>most basic tutorials are based around traditional art
>removes almost all variables so that you can properly analyze what you're doing wrong and not worry if it's your screen, pen sensitivity, art program, etc

>> No.2878550

>>2878544
You and everyone else seemed to have forgotten the fact that doing exercises in a wide range of sizes is great for total image comprehension

Forcing yourself to do large drawings on newsprint for example can at first cause awkwardness in the drawing, where you only focus on one portion of the paper and the proportions end up messed up, but after some practice, it makes you better at visualizing the whole piece while only looking at parts.

>> No.2878552
File: 149 KB, 800x1200, 1-4-800x1200.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Traditional penmanship and painting is beautiful

>> No.2878553

>>2877407
Traditional fag here.

I doubt it matters much as long as you keep drawing.

Something I would imagine though is that it's so easy to fix mistakes when working digital, that you never really try to draw it properly from the start.

>> No.2878566
File: 177 KB, 370x513, eJwFwdENhCAMANBdGIBihdC6DUGC5pQSqLkPc7vfe695xmU2c6j2uQHs58wydjtVRqrFVpF6ldTPabPckFRTPu7SdMLiKfgY3LoysifEAEiBF4zMSMgUnSN42qfJt9neqvn9AQnvIvU.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Reading you posts I can tell that there`s no way we`d be able to change your mind, but really you don`t have to listen to us if you don`t want to. Reason we`re all sayin to start traditional is because it build more discipline and better habits. It gets rid of the technicalities that can ever so slightly disrupt the spontaneous creative workflow. The best way to get better is to draw everyday and it can be discouraging to even start, digital art from my experiences really show your little mistakes which doesn`t help till you reach a certain level.

>> No.2878568 [DELETED] 

>>2878526
It's true.

>> No.2878573

>>2878566
traditional 2d art in this day and age is only used for design in the industry, not the finished work. 3d is for the finished product
-feng tzu

>> No.2878587

>>2878573
How does this relate?

>> No.2878594

>>2878587
pencil and paper are out. Photoshop is in. Feng even came out with a new 1hr video TODAY hammering this in

>> No.2878602

>>2878594
Yeah but that's for professional design, not for practice. When we say start on traditional, we mean use that to learn the fundamental before moving on.

>> No.2878606

>>2878602
no, its for everything. There are no advantages to not using Photoshop. Its like using an Apple II computer in 2017 and claiming its as good as the newest macbook

>> No.2878614

>>2878606
Alright man I've tried giving my insight but if you wanna make use off that 1k you spent, go ahead.

>> No.2878621

>>2878614
your insight is flawed and I pirated PS btw

>> No.2878633

>>2878594
Are you serious? Are you really taking this Feng Zhu's "teachings" as a basis and foundation to certify and validate digital over traditional medium?
The hack shows his own flaws during the entire so called presentation. His first mistake was admitiing that pen, pencil and paper were used for design and advertising since the 1970's. Let's go back and analyze that. Pen, paper, ink and paints have been around for centuries, NOT just 30 years. This idiot cherry picks the generations where younger students can manually look up that information on the internet. God fobid they go back a few centuries and discover that this moron has ABSOLUTELY no idea what he's talking about.
He also keeps referring to that particular video as an aide for younger students. That's because older people know that what he's talking about is complete shit. No one in their right mind should even ATTEMPT to follow in this idiot's teachings. It's good to see that the educational system today is allowing morons like this to teach without they themselves, understanding the basic fundamental of teaching, which is to offer all possible information and allow the student to reach their own conclusion through research and experimentation. Cause we all know, god forbid, we go back 30 years ago and assign his word as truth.

>> No.2878634

>>2878633
Even as he starts out his second portion of his video, the idiot has not idea that he could have made his landscape look so much better by hiding his tabs. Shouldn't you digitally inclined already know this?

>> No.2878638

>>2878634
He goes on to say that most of the students working on this kind of medium go on to work on Triple A games like CALL OF DUTY and tons of ASASSINS'S CREED games. I can see why these games are shit now.

>> No.2878641

>>2877407
op you are a faggot. /thread

>> No.2878652

>>2878638
I couldn't stomach the amount of crap this self-proclaimed nu-wave artist was spouting out of his mouth. He gave no resolution at the end of his one hour wind-bag presentation. He offered very few facts, instead embellishing the fact that his digital skills were on par with what the "industry" is looking out for in new talent.
He only has 20 years experience, barely enough to discuss the kind of fundamental teachings traditional mediums can do for an artist in terms of practice with a yearning to learn more.
He talks about places like DeviantArt as if they are natural resources for those yearning to learn more about their craft. This is a clear sign of someone who has every right to display his digital work as a FINAL PRODUCT, the only real fact that digital artists face in the world today. No one in their right MIND working with digital would have the balls to upload work in progress anymore.

>> No.2878655

>>2878652
>He only has 20 years experience, barely enough to discuss the kind of fundamental teachings
classic /ic/.

Truly pathetic, just kill yourself already.

>> No.2878656

>>2877407
from this post alone i know your work is unoriginal shit of sub par talent that will never amount to anything worth a damn. digital "artists". please.

i hope someone emp's your "studio" with those home made circuit destroyers...this gives me an idea.

>> No.2878661
File: 62 KB, 450x360, Gibson-girl.type.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2878594
So yeah guy, keep on learning the teachings of Feng as if they were the word of the art gods. He certainly loved to back pedal and create a new video just to clarify to his students that his teachings are just as flawed as those of you posting on this thread that digital is the wave of the future. Like him, you have absolutely no concept of the kind of work you're dealing with and have every right to wallow in the mire that is, digital illustration. You grasp onto that reality like a blanket and cover yourself with it because without it, you're an absolute hack just like Artgerm, Samikichan and every other self-proclaimed hack out there who abandoned their traditional mediums for something more pop culture and trendy.
Even know when you look back at the kind of work that stands the test of time, what kind of work do you always reference?
Tell me? Is it the nauseating amount of dime a dozen artists drawing on a digital platform nowadays, or do you reach back to the past and truly give your better understanding to the works that have stood the test of time? How many digital artists do you know today that will stand the test of time in say, 300 years?
Jumping on the digital bandwagon is just a trend. Sooner or later, something is going to come along and completely undermine the entire digital art movement. There's going to be a time when artificial intelligence is going to overwhelm the masses and make every one of you digital humpbacks, completely obsolete.
Mind you,traditional mediums will be just as hurt. But who do you think this artificial intelligence ir going to reference work from?
The digital art, so called revolution?

No. It's going to look back at the traditional medium and WISH it could emulate it as well as it was created.

>> No.2878664

>>2878661
are you fucking retarded? If strong AI comes out, humanity as a whole is entirely fucked and noone will have jobs

>> No.2878670

>>2878655
The only one pathetic here is you, but I would have answered the same way too if I got my ass handed to me on a silver platter, while my "Art God" Feng gets completely dissected and presented to me for the talentless hack he is.
Bob Ross could beserved up the same way. He borrowed several techniques he learned fromhis teacher, German oil painter Bill Alexander. Andrew Loomis would have had nothing to display on his plate had it not been for artists like Charles Gibson before him. Bob Kane wouldn't have had any idea on how to create Batman had he not been inspired by Leonardo DaVinci's Flying Machine.

So you're right, it's classic IC. Fundamental IC. You're welcome, kid. :)

>> No.2878673

>>2878664
I'm using it as an example, Skynet. The T-800's haven't been created yet. That half assed HondaBot is nothing to be afraid of yet.

>> No.2878678

>>2877407
op with your pov on the superiority of mediums, please grace us with one of your digital masterpieces...and how much is the origi....oh, nevermind...there is no real canvas for sale, is there?

>> No.2878735

>>2878074

awful

>> No.2878736

>>2878735
Why?

>> No.2878750

>>2878736
Values don't make no sense. Messy silhouette. Nothing but a quick sketch of an idea.

What do you mean "why?".

>> No.2878759

>>2878736
never ask a retard "why"

>> No.2878766

>>2878230
lmfao>>2878397

this is wrong on so many levels.

>> No.2878782

Lot of autism in this thread. Guess I'll contribute.
>>2878566
backtick != apostrophe GOD DAMN IT REEEEEEEEEEE

>> No.2878822
File: 410 KB, 1536x2048, 17017195_10208412318607282_4292555015056427136_o.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2877407
Victor Garduno (a local artist) made this with pastel pencils. Because of that they will be worth like 300$ each.

Sure the result looks like digital but that same image as digital will never have an original. The prints would only be worth like 20-50$ tops. (size dependent)

You also learn more with art when there is "skin in the game"

When making art costs you money for your paints and materials you learn to value them. Even develop economy and that influences you style and helps it develop.

Also being limited in color/palette to what is around you helps those colors become part of your style and you learn to do more with less.

I used to do digital and it is for sure easier but I have switched back to traditional and am trying to improve there. I might get back into digital, but honestly I think a mixture of both is the best.

>> No.2878833

>>2878822
Something about this style seems so cheap and tacky.

Like something that would be on the side of a carnival ride.

>> No.2878840

>>2878750
Draw it better, then. Put your critique where you mouth is. That drawing might be messy, but it's detailed where it should be.

The artist used value correctly. It has form, depth and mood. Maybe all you see is a sketch while others can distinguish the detail in the work.

>Pro tip: You won't draw it, or even attempt to show what you talked about in your post.

Here's your tablet, go learn value on that.

>> No.2878848
File: 3.42 MB, 2243x2304, IMG_20170228_174022.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Faggots, did I say I've never done traditional?
Here's something I drew today, better than most within /ic/ can do. I just think it does not matter if you study digitally only, its just about the way you do it. But of course most of you neets can only afford a bamboo or some huayon crap which is as useless as a fucking cutting board.

>> No.2878849
File: 162 KB, 800x972, silver_fox_by_sakimichan-da0m9ub.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2878833
It's better than this shit, printed on glossy card stock and sold for 50 bucks at a convention, when it only costs about .35 cents to print out when ordered in bulk. Don't chuck stones when you live in a glass house, kiddo.

>> No.2878850

>>2877407
but people are still buying traditional works. /thread.

>> No.2878851

>>2878849
I agree that traditional is better than digital, all I was saying was that that particular piece seemed tacky.

>> No.2878852

>>2878848
>OP works in digital/Preaching about it.
>Doesn't know how to resize his images for this board.

Just stap. (top keks though )

>> No.2878855

>>2878852
Shitposting from my phone, kys

>> No.2878859

>>2878851
>Like something that would be on the side of a carnival ride.
Well duh, what do you expect on the side of a carnival ride, the Mona Lisa?

Shit, if I was the carnie who owned that particular carnival ride, I would have been happy as hell to have hired an artist to draw that on the side of my ride.

>> No.2878863

>>2878859
Okay, so we are agreed that it is tacky.

>> No.2878868

>>2878848
Nice back pedal, OP. You're starting to sound more like Feng Zhu now. And I bet I can draw that better than you. You up for an ass beating on your skills?

>> No.2878878

>>2877407
so i'm not really interested in debating the merits of digitial vs analogue or really debating anything online lol i have too much self-respect for that but i'm very confused that you think people can only draw on paper indoors that's such a genuinely weird thing to say

>> No.2878886

>>2877947
Not to mention that the cintiq is not going to last 200K sketches.

>> No.2878890

>>2878868
Go ahead, I'll keep this tab open.
>implying you're going to deliver

>> No.2878891

>>2878855
No you.

>> No.2878895
File: 74 KB, 524x453, 1487891041815.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2877407
>Skip traditional drawing entirely
>Draw way better because I crank out a huge volume of studies doing digital
>Don't even waste paper/have to get material ready

I don't get it either.
Drawing is all the same. "ONLY DO PAPER/DIGITAL" is the epitome of 4chan, /ic/ memes.

Digital is such a new medium. There's no grand master that despises digital, so you might as well learn via digital.

>> No.2878909

>>2878886
>implying
Cintiqs and Wacoms in general can last a decade, if not more. I had my Intuos for six years before I replaced it (didn't stop working, I just wanted to upgrade). As long as you're not a dumb monkey handling your shit, it'll surely last.

>> No.2878953

>>2878895
can you draw as well by pencil as you can digital tho? there are so many shortcuts like easier erasing, layers, warp tool, liquify tool, the navigator, zoom etc. that you can't use traditionally. if you learned to draw perfectly traditionally it would be raw skill.

>> No.2878957
File: 431 KB, 618x800, Suck It Dunkin.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2878890
Here you go, OP. I took your pathetic old man and made him Great Again.

You can close the tab now. :)

>> No.2878958
File: 145 KB, 672x701, 14830883706330.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2877407
>Traditional is outdated grandpas
Sure kid.
Go calm down and draw your cartoon waifu. This is the only thing you will be doing in your art career after all.

>> No.2878961

>>2878895
>Drawing is all the same. "ONLY DO PAPER/DIGITAL" is the epitome of 4chan, /ic/ memes.
>Digital is such a new medium. There's no grand master that despises digital, so you might as well learn via digital.
the fact you posted the pedo material from that shitty cartoon as reaction image just proves my previous comment

>> No.2878963

>>2878895
That's because all the grand masters are turning around in their graves with the kind of shit digital is pumping out nowadays.

Example >>2878849

>> No.2878995

>>2878957
Looks worse, but good job for actually following through though and not just posting Space Mercenary.

>> No.2879024

>>2878957
Lol, you fucking suck shit.

>> No.2879033
File: 91 KB, 640x707, eradicate.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2878855
>from my phone
Every single time, when is Hiroshimoot going to save 4chan and ban phoneposters

>> No.2879052

You won't hurt your eyes.

>> No.2879082
File: 47 KB, 393x325, 1484708778783.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2877407
>drawing on computer
>drive dies
>didn't save
>lose all digital paintings
>with jewcom and laptop
>digital painting in the park
>jumped
>stabbed
>jewcom and laptop stolen
>cry
>pass out from blood loss
>5 years later
>wake up from a coma
>hospital empty
>go outside
>zombie apocalypse
>black out
>chased by zombies
>see traditionalists doing zombie studies from the roof
>try to join them
>tell them you only do digital
>they give you a smartphone
>turn it on
>battery at 20%
>make it quick
>your best study yet
>visit /ic/
>somehow still werks (wtf??)
>try to upload study
>typing "I'm gonna make i-"
>0%
>phone shuts down
>didn't save
>all the traditionalists on the roof have a hearty laugh
>tfw no one will see your work again

>> No.2879084

>>2879082
>implying batteries in the future are even a thing

>> No.2879215

>>2878633
Did you even watch the video? He was obviously talking about its use within concept art. For films and the like. I'm not even a big fan of Feng but context matters.

>>2878594
And you, you blithering idiot. He specifically mentioned that 3D, Photoshop and paper are all just tools to express your design ideas. He said that 3D is becoming more common to help with the design process, is all. It doesn't work that way.

>> No.2879221

>>2879215
Did you even watch the video? Feng had a hard ass time explaining why 3D was needed, you could see him just stumbling over his words at the end and repeating himself because you could just see how against 3D he was. His answer was basically
>it's needed just because uh it's needed
Thank you Feng. Why don't you just continue on your 2D teachings please. We'll let the 3D fags sort themselves out when they become obsolete in the future.

>> No.2879326

>>2877523
Lol making up stories to validate resentment of out of reach technology/wealth?
Mr digital will be able to hand in the assignment because its in the fucking interwebs you luddite

>> No.2879345

>>2877407
There's absolutely no reason to learn on paper before learning digital. You can definitely transfer the overwhelming vast majority of the skills you develop on paper to digital, so the sensible advice to someone who can't yet afford digital tools (or isn't yet sure they're serious enough about it to invest in equipment) is to tell them to start learning with a pencil and cheap printer paper and see if they actually enjoy it.

There is no benefit to be gained from pencil on paper that you couldn't get with stylus on tablet, so if you plan on primarily working digitally, and you have the means to begin with digital, that's the best way to get started.

>> No.2879347

>>2879082
>not backing up your shit on at least two other harddrives
>not having renter's insurance pay for your stolen possessions (yes, it typically covers theft outside of your house).
pleb.

>> No.2879364
File: 103 KB, 500x640, 1487590482311.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2877407
In the beginning I used a drawing tablet but decided to practice traditional alongside it because all the artists I admire can do great traditional work

>> No.2879368
File: 213 KB, 776x1119, 1469823061768.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2878071

>> No.2879370

>>2878552
this is your example? it looks like fucking shit what the fuck...

>> No.2879373

>>2879326
Listenkid, you sound like you're about twelve, so let me school your ass on what you just said.

>Lol making up stories to validate resentment of out of reach technology/wealth?
Aside from the word, "Expensive", which is what I gather is all you noticed out of that particular tale, you'll be hard pressed to go back and re-read that nowhere in our story was there ever a mention of rich vs. poor. What there is however, is a clear distinction between those who have the technology and have absolutely no idea what to with it, and those who resort to the traditional medium and at least attempt to learn it in such a way, that at the end of the semester, they have something to show for it. They have what's called applied knowledge, something a tablet can never teach you no matter how incredibly umbilical the tether is between you and your adored technology.

>Mr digital will be able to hand in the assignment because its in the fucking interwebs you luddite
First off you mindless fruit, the work is NOT on the interwebs, but on the DEVICE itself, unless you count DeviantArt as your Cloud source for which, by all means, the term interwebs fits so well in this conversation. But by all means, show us that applied knowledge you've learned from how many years of fumbling around with a tablet now? How frustrating has it been for you to toil away day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year since the release of these supposed "tools of the future" and still, a good solid 10 years later, you have nothing to show for it? How much closer are you to your interweb idols now? No, no, you haven't met that goal yet because you walked away from learning the true fundamental spirit and jumped on the digital bandwagon with the rest of the shmucks who were promised, "A true unlock of their potential through the world of drawing software."
Now you can't even pass gas in a single direction without bumping into someone who's digitally drawing with you?

>> No.2879379

>>2879326
>>2879373
No kid, just like the rest of the Feng Zhu's on here getting their eyes ripped wide open to the truth, you'd rather cherry pick your response, white knighting your 20,000 dollar art degree and have absolutely nothing to show for it. You'd much rather continue to believe in the lie that technology is here to save you from yourself, when it reality, it's trapped you, along so many others, like a chicken farm where you have no windows to see out into the world that's taken your passion and turned it into Samikichan. Not even Artgerm can save you and help you validate the poor choice you've made by switching, or even adopting a digital means of creating something, when in reality, you're creating nothing. Digital work has absolutely no value whatsoever. You're not the one creating the work, the computer is.
There's nothing wildly amazing about your digital prowess. You're all a dime a dozen now. There is no worth in digital output anymore. This is the reason why artists get their works stolen from Patreon. They're putting worth in something that a computer program generated. Why should anyone have to pay an exuberant amount of money for something, you barely had a hand in creating?

>> No.2879382

>>2878957
Nice Bill Paxton, artfag. lol

>> No.2879641

>>2878848
looks like shit AND your drinking DD coffee which is shit...faggot. your little sketch is uselessamd has no value whatsoever and it is poorly drawn. its incomplete with no substance you massive waste of human being

>> No.2879644

OP is the kind of "artist" that doesn't get laid. Women are not into digital "artists" only other fat neckbeards are and thus, OP will always be a faggot. And before you claim a gf, or women, timestamped pics or it doesn't happen.

>> No.2879688

>>2878848
your line quality is dogshit
thats what happens when you study digitally only

>> No.2880034

I think it's pretty obvious that this thread not only communicates, but gives an incredible insight on how one medium (in this case, the digital medium) when raised and held up to a godly pedestal, has shown its true flaws without it being completely torn to shreds. Most of those championing its cause here, have yet to show any work to help contradict the simple fact, which is without practice in the traditional medium, your digital output will be just as bad and just as lazy.
For those of you who study in the traditional medium and have spent a fair amount of years honing your craft, you're headed in the right direction. It's not that you're poor and can't afford an expensive tool like tablets and the like, but you're using methods that have stood the test of time throughout history. You have Old Masters who have shown you, through their works, that the traditional medium is alive and well, and will continue to be so for generations to come.
Now, for those of you who have adopted both mediums and never talk ill or either one, you've found out the underlying truth, that two is better than one. Remember that your traditional sense can only help and aide your digital one, and not the other way around. Both should work in tandem with each other, but pay close attention to what you learn on paper. Your computer can only try to emulate what you do in real life.

>> No.2880048

anyone who says you have to practice on paper is a newb who doesn't understand what they're talking about. they're repeating the same nonsense as your high-school art teacher who had a phobia of erasers and told everyone not to use them or they'd never improve.their work is undoubtedly terrible and I'm sure they post merc.wip ironically all the time because they're too ashamed to post their own work. there's nothing magic about paper.

it is important to draw, though, but you can do that on a tablet just as well as on paper.

>> No.2880083

>>2877407

You realize all your chink shows are drawn on paper (mostly)? Manga artists also draw on paper and scan/print because it's faster. It's easier to draw line art on paper then transform it in digital form
because:
using graphic manip tools = learning curve
digital drawing surface is either smooth annoyingly rough
you need 64bit with at least 8GB of ram to create image as big as scanned traditional or published artwork unless you just plan to post your furry shit on twitter.

>> No.2880658

>>2878833
I think it looks cheap and tacky because he fucked up really bad in the face, the right leg is too big and there are some awkward glows here and there

my 2 cents

>> No.2880659

>>2878822
>this is worth $300
Really? A DA commission that isn't even this rendered is $300+. Sometimes $450-500.

>> No.2880823

>>2878840
>As long as people with eyes and a sense of good visual art can't do it better than me, it means am the best in the world.
Ngmi

>> No.2880827

>>2878606

I think traditional vs digital and saying 'there's no reason to do traditional' is like some fuckwit saying "Why should I go jogging when I have a treadmill lol I can watch TV on my treadmill fucking checkmate"

>> No.2880829

>>2880827
He's got a point really.