[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 215 KB, 444x580, painting smash.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2871973 No.2871973 [Reply] [Original]

Gonna be going to RISD this summer, hopefully to major in Illustration. I'm worried that I'll be crushed by the immense skill of my classmates and my own drive to compete, what're some exercises to bring myself up to par?

>> No.2871976

No advice, but I'm curious about what you submitted and whether or not you got a scholarship.

>tfw still waiting till I git gud enough to get a scholarship at RISD or Art Center

>> No.2871978
File: 3.55 MB, 3262x4982, ARB.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

RISD is a $47,000 a year art school. Post your current work.

>> No.2871981
File: 3.90 MB, 749x1050, bahimean rhapsody.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

hup

>> No.2871982

>>2871973
>I'm worried that I'll be crushed by the immense skill of my classmates and my own drive to compete, what're some exercises to bring myself up to par?

It's too late pal at this point unless you can somehow manage to place yourself in a life or death situation where you can combat anxiety and extreme amounts of stress that art school will feel like nothing in comparison.

But really, just focus on yourself. You don't look into other people's bags to see how much they have, just that they have enough.

>> No.2871999
File: 126 KB, 1024x728, unspecified.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2871976
>>2871978
Most of it is large charcoal stuff done in a bit of a weird style. (I'm shit at blending so thats why they might look a bit fucked.)
I got a need-based scholarship for around 14k.
I did precollege there last summer, so I've got a decent feel for what it'll be like. I thought my chances of being accepted were quite low so I did early decision.

>> No.2872002
File: 1.84 MB, 3264x2448, IMG_8947.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2871973

>> No.2872003
File: 373 KB, 2149x702, bancroft.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

RISD is a legit school, but that's sure a lot of money, isn't it? If you're not good enough to get a merit-based scholarship now do you think you should go? The school isn't going to vanish into thin air if you don't attend right out of high school, you know. Let's see that work, fambino.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXpwAOHJsxg

>> No.2872004

>>2871999
so you're poor and you decided to become an artist and start off with $33k+ debt per year? ok...

>> No.2872008

>>2872004
>he thinks becoming an artist is cheap

>> No.2872013

>>2872003
I've got some decent financial aid from my parents, their job benefits take 50% off the tuition.

>> No.2872077
File: 1.70 MB, 3264x2448, IMG_8955.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2871973

>> No.2872090

>>2872008
>literally paying to be poor

>> No.2872094

>>2872090
I don't really know a whole lot about artist income post-graduation, but I really don't see art as a temporary hobby. I figured I can make a decent living out of art if I put in the effort to make it work for myself.

>> No.2872112

>>2872077
>>2872002
>>2871999
Well, if you want to prep for the semester, I think you should start doing a lot more detailed work. That still life charcoal piece is really sparse. I'm only taking community college art courses, but even at that level, more refinement is expected in pieces. The composition of the charcoal trees is really nice, though, so the minimalism works in that favor. But yeah, try to do more finished still lives (or pieces, in general).

I do realize that RISD is much more conceptual in their approach to their fundies year (pretty sure they get more technically demanding after your freshman year, especially in illustration), so also try formulating a lot of ideas and 'stories' you want to tell. Have you started doing illustrative pieces, even if it's something like fanart?

Also, super jelly that you got to attend their pre-college shinding and financial aid's in your favor. Hope you have a good time!

>> No.2872115

>>2872112
Also, I forgot to mention, but there's a few RISD posters on this board. If none show up, check the archives. Something more helpful than my speculation will show up.

>> No.2872119

>>2871978
I seriously can't wrap my mind around the per year tuition cost of some U.S. art schools. 10-20k per year maybe, but 40k+? I can't reconcile with how these schools charge that per student, especially if they're not giving that much in grants/scholarships.

>> No.2872124

>>2872119
>have crazy good connections
>need a lot of money to maintain those connections
>wonder why school is so expensive when it's also really good

>> No.2872131

>>2872094
ah to be a starry-eyed 19 year old...

>> No.2872132

>>2872124
This is an art degree, not a lawyer or pre-med program. Students are just not going to be making the same bracket as a doctor or lawyer on average after graduation.

>> No.2872133

>>2872131
Does the future get that rough

>> No.2872140

>>2872112
Thank you so much, I'm very excited to be going back!

For detail, I feel like it'd be a good idea to improve my blending skill, which will hopefully allow me to do sharper edges and smoother transitions.

I'm a bit confused as to what illustrative means, I do draw a fair amount of weeb stuff, including character designs, OCs, comics and a whole bunch of cringy things. I'm still working on improving my "stylized" skill separately from the work I've shown here. I'm not too confident in it so I never really considered it quality material.

In terms of my more fine arts work, I've always found it hard to think of a compelling message or theme to create work around. To me, most of the work I do is very shallow in meaning, I struggle with creating work that possesses a deep level of thought and symbolic intricacy.

I'm surprised you recognized the tree in that drawing, I've had to explain what it was to most of my family and friends.

>> No.2872146

>>2872131
Yeah, I know I'm being quite naive. Several years into the future I might feel a different way. I've liked art from a very young age and I'd like to build a career around doing what I love.

I fell in love with the atmosphere, students, and classroom work during precollege, as it really motivated me to make art 24/7. I've been kinda "rotting" in work ethic after leaving the program, my HS art class being terrible isn't helping, I decided that going to school immediately would get me back on track.

To be honest, I don't have the math, science, or athletic prowess to get into a field other than art.

>> No.2872153

learn to research, I'm kinda a failed RISD alum still trying to break out, not gonna post nuthin but only gotta say the workload you get, by nature of competition and volume will be helpful in setting up ethic (if you don't burn out which actually is a real thing for art schools) but most of the curriculum's end up being conceptual except for ID and Architecture. They have decent resources to learn a lot of things but technique is kinda secondary unless you actively work for it, it is possible to work hard and complete projects but you won't actually develop much in if you don't commit to your own technique and interests. Don't tunnel vision to hard in just getting things done. You need to work on improving as well.

>> No.2872160
File: 32 KB, 443x591, 13495306_522142187969722_3896363849177228209_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2872146
Do your thing bro. Stop posting and get back to work.

>> No.2872666

>>2871973
Don´t waste your money and time on this. Focus on your art and invest time and effort in your skills. There is enough material in the internet to get where you want to be

>> No.2872679

>>2871973
dont go

>> No.2872920

take advantage of your resources apply for as many grants scholarships open calls as you can etc. go to as many nearby museums, art talks exhibitions as you can. my unis library has a whole bunch of art books and has a equipment loan program so thats pretty great. learn as much as you can, be open to new stuff, everyone sucks at the beggining it doesnt matter if you suck if they accepted you just learn as much as you can it doesnt matter much i guarantee you'll look back and cringe at your past work

>> No.2873122

>>2872666
>>2872679
I can't back out of Early Decision. I did improve significantly while I was there so I figured it'd be better than learning on my own.

>> No.2873139

>>2871973
>. I'm worried that I'll be crushed by the immense skill of my classmates
bruh, thats best case scenario.

you WANT to be around better people, thats the fastest way to progress.

you learn faster and if they are kind (most people are in the flesh) you can pick up some great tips.

>> No.2873141

>>2872008

How much does it cost to buy pencils, paper, perhaps paints and pastels and charcoal? Maybe a computer with torrented art books and, down the line, a drawing tablet and photoshop?

What's that? None of that adds up to a tenth of 33k?

>> No.2873411

>>2873139
Yeah, thats part of what I love about it. The only problem is that the teachers (at least from what I've seen so far) tend to play favorites. They seemed to give much better grades to those who had high levels of skill, they didn't care much for the "message" or meaning behind the art.

>> No.2873415

>>2873141
Haha, I've already got all of those, but I figured I could learn much more from experienced classmates and great teachers than I can on my own.
I'm not saying it won't be costly, but my parents' faculty benefits bringing the tuition down by 50% will definitely help out.

>> No.2873441

>>2872146
You sound like every single 18 year old who wants to be an artist. Like seriously everything you said word for word was said by thousands of people who never made it anywhere. Be smart before making rash decisions.

>> No.2873469

>>2873441
Yeah I get that. However, I highly doubt I'll ever stop making art unless I lose my hands or sight or something. I don't see anything wrong with going to RISD. I've got the opportunity, I've put in the work to get there, why would I just stop now? I understand that becoming a professional artist is hard work, but I'm determined to make a living out of what I love. Although I've only been working with a definite goal in mind for 4 years, I've been drawing for 14 years and I don't intend to give that up anytime soon, no matter what challenges may arise. I'd rather make very little doing what I love rather than make a whole lot working a job I despise. Frankly, I don't have the grades, opportunities, nor interest to do anything else besides art.

>> No.2873475

I would never attend art school if it wasn't on a merit-based scholarship, fully covered. Both because I could never afford it, and because the opportunity of going to a school like that is wasted if you aren't already awesome.

>> No.2873477

also because im intensely insecure about my art. so fuck paying five figures a year to be socially anxious about yourself and your artwork

>> No.2873481

>>2873475
I'm getting need based, which unless my parents suddenly win the lottery, will auto-renew without me having to do anything.

$47,000/2= $23,500
$23,500x4=$94,000
$94,000-$14,000=$80,000 (which isn't terrible)

I'm middle class, going to RISD with the financial aid I've got at the moment won't screw over my family for the rest of eternity.

>> No.2873488

>>2873411
why should they, they are there to teach technique, not concepts.

>> No.2873493

>>2873488
I agree. I do think that some consideration should be given to the pieces with more developed meaning though.

>> No.2873495
File: 22 KB, 274x242, le inconspicuous computer using man face.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2873469
>I've got the opportunity

So does anyone that's willing to sign on the dotted line.

>I've put in the work to get there

Don't take this the wrong way, but your work says otherwise. I'm sorry, but this is obviously a casual hobby to you. From all appearances you've only just had the epiphany that you'd like to be a professional artist now because you've somehow been convinced that it's the easy way out from a "hard" job using "math", "science" etc. as you'd alluded to earlier.

In truth, though, it's not the easy way out, it's the easy way in. It's the fast track to poverty, debt, and desperate, menial employment of the sort you're planning on paying a good chunk of a mortgage to delay for just a few short years, now.

>>2873481

>$80,000 (which isn't terrible)

You're right. Such a deal! You should go right away. Hurry! The last thing you want to do is think too much about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WNHUMsYRaQ

>> No.2873509

>>2873495
>So does anyone that's willing to sign on the dotted line.

Well, this dotted line is a little harder to get to than other dotted lines.

>From all appearances you've only just had the epiphany that you'd like to be a professional artist now because you've somehow been convinced that it's the easy way out from a "hard" job using "math", "science" etc. as you'd alluded to earlier.

You could say that. However, I don't feel like I'm pursuing art because it's the "easy route". I'm pursuing art because I love it. In regards to my bad fine art stuff, I have really only been practicing that since the summer.

>It's the fast track to poverty, debt, and desperate, menial employment of the sort you're planning on paying a good chunk of a mortgage to delay for just a few short years, now.

I suppose. I don't know that to be an absolute truth that I am certain to wallow in poverty until I die though, so I'm willing to give it my best shot until I get somewhere.

>You're right. Such a deal! You should go right away. Hurry! The last thing you want to do is think too much about it.

I've done quite a good amount of thinking about my future, and this was the decision. I'm not aiming to be offensive, but I'm just some kid on the internet, why do you take such a deep interest in my career choices? I appreciate the concern, but I'd much rather prefer some constructive criticism on my work. I sincerely doubt anyone here will convince me to avoid going to RISD.

>> No.2873538

This may be bad advice but...Go for it OP

I'm going to art school for photography and if I drown in debt there is always retail or fast food jobs

>> No.2873542

>>2873538
I had a similar thread on /p/ about art school and I got this advice from another anon

>Life is too short to pick a career that you don't have a passion for

>> No.2873544

>>2873509
>why do you take such a deep interest in my career choices?

Because even though I don't know you I don't like the idea of anybody setting themselves up for a bad deal. Not only do I believe you as an individual will potentially suffer greatly because of this decision for the rest of your life, but the act of attending these schools with their insane prices only serves to vindicate them in their tuition policies and helps enable them to exploit further students.

In the end I'm not trying to bully you, it's your decision in either case.

>>2872140
>going back

post your work please

>> No.2873545

>>2873542
try a cheaper school though OP

>> No.2873555
File: 137 KB, 484x623, 'git gud' t. Steven Silver.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2873538
>>2873542
What part of "you don't need a degree to have a career in art" are you having a problem understanding?

>> No.2873559

>>2871973
they SUCK.
I know a grad.
they suck don't worry.

>> No.2873572

>>2873559
Post the grad's work

>> No.2873682

>>2872131
ah to be a spiteful fuckup who did nothing with his life

>> No.2873742

>>2873555
you realize he listed a BA in fine arts as a "highly desired" qualification right?

>> No.2873782
File: 497 KB, 800x1108, 4 months an art school grad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2873742
>It's "highly desired" that you have a $100,000 degree
>...but certainly not "required"

If you actually look at that comment on his facebook you'll see many artists chiming in to agree with Silver's sentiment.

It's a formality. Have you ever looked at some of the art in the self-promotion thread and thought to yourself "Wow, this person is really good but you know what? It doesn't say on their blog whether or not they have a degree so I don't think I could hire them.". Similarly how about a musician? Would whether or not you hired one hinge on whether or not they have a degree, knowing that they're basically participation trophies?

>> No.2874252

>>2873544
I guess. Not sure if its going to work out, but one of my goals is to build a lot of connections and hopefully get some decent employment using those. I don't think it'll definitely lead to anything, but if all else fails, RISD is known for having a lot of famous/rich people, and I'm good at making friends.

>post your work please

More fine art, sketchbook stuff or weeb shit?

>> No.2874253

>>2873545
Sorry, I can't really do that without jumping through many, many hurdles. Early Decision lets you apply earlier with a much higher acceptance chance and better financial aid options, but locks you into that school, you can't accept any offers from other schools, nor can you decline the offer from the school you applied to.

>> No.2874310

>>2873559
do you know how long the studio classes there are? They were 8 hours during the summer but I feel like 90 min daily wont be enough time.

>> No.2874510

>>2871973
Here's a great tip for art college:

Don't Go

>> No.2875448

For everyone hating on RISD or Art College students:

Fuck off.

I'm a Brown graduate and attended RISD classes. Both schools are exceptionally competitive and expensive, so let's break down your obvious misconceptions based on your obvious insecurities:

1) There are two types of students that attend these really expensive and competitive schools: A) the extremely wealthy, in which case how much they pay for their education is irrelevant, and B) Gifted students who were granted a SUBSTANTIAL amount of scholarship/grant.

2) These institutions of learning are pricey for two main reason: A) Their educators are the absolute meaning of academic success, tried-and-true successful academics and leaders in their respective fields, often times recognized worldwide for their contribution to art/academia. B) The setting which the student enjoys is by far beyond the scope of your normal institution (so yes, your artwork will be displayed at galleries which are not only prestigious but known and frequented by world-recognized Art critics both from the US and from around the world).

3) You only get what you put into it. It doesn't matter what school you attend or what you do. You will only ever be rewarded based on what you do. HOWEVER... due to the extreme competitiveness to even be accepted on a full scholarship to these institutions, you can bet your ass that unless you have some talent THEY are willing to nurture, you won't get in unless you pay for the same privileged attention.

So kindly stop citing all of these "Great Artists" who "Didn't need an education" to excuse your own incompetent and clearly jealous views, and instead, make something of yourselves or motivate OP into something better.

The world of art can be unforgiving, yes, but so is anything that is worth fighting for.

OP - just believe in yourself and remember that the greater the struggle, the more you grow, and you will adapt, adopt, and succeed.

>> No.2875468

also most classes are structured around critiques, soooo keep that in mind and that class time will not usually be time to work on assignments.

>> No.2875534
File: 551 KB, 900x900, JUST.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2875448
>gifted

OP is obviously a very raw beginner. The only reason they gave him a scholarship to begin with is because they want to squeeze him for everything they think he's conceivably worth while making him think he got a deal. Even with his parent's special ability to get his tuition down by half it's still far too great a burden for someone who's going to be working a service job when he graduates along with 95% of his peers.

>The world of art can be unforgiving, yes, but so is anything that is worth fighting for.

Signing your life away on a piece of paper isn't a "fight", it's an act of submission wherein you consign yourself to a life of poverty taking out mortgage-tier loans because you can't possibly imagine succeeding on your own like thousands of people before you have.

>So kindly stop citing all of these "Great Artists" who "Didn't need an education" to excuse your own incompetent and clearly jealous views, and instead, make something of yourselves or motivate OP into something better.

What's to be jealous of? Going to an art school is not an accomplishment any more than buying a used car is. I am motivating OP in trying to get him to trust himself and his own ability to improve in lieu of pursuing a course of action that, for the past couple decades at least, has proven to be a time honored technique for just fucking one's shit right up.

>> No.2875544

>>2875448
Thank you so much
The teachers I had over the summer were critical, harsh and unforgiving, however, I feel they truly understood the direction each student was going in and challenged them to extend their ideas through the entire course. I'm less worried about the struggle and more excited for it, I'm just a little concerned that my own drive to compete will destroy my sleep and eating habits.
Again, I can't thank you enough. I'm gonna frame that post and hang it in my dorm when I get there.

>> No.2875546

>>2875534
> The only reason they gave him a scholarship to begin with is because they want to squeeze him for everything they think he's conceivably worth while making him think he got a deal

Might be because I'm young af, but why are you so damn pessimistic? I feel like I wouldn't get anything done by being so cynical.

> Signing your life away on a piece of paper isn't a "fight", it's an act of submission wherein you consign yourself to a life of poverty taking out mortgage-tier loans because you can't possibly imagine succeeding on your own like thousands of people before you have.

I'd like to succeed on my own, which I intend to do after college. However, I don't feel confident in my ability to teach myself, I don't think its a bad idea to learn from those who are world-renowned, I think they know what they're doing.

>I am motivating OP in trying to get him to trust himself and his own ability to improve in lieu of pursuing a course of action that, for the past couple decades at least, has proven to be a time honored technique for just fucking one's shit right up.

Outside of class, I dedicated all my time to learning how to create a stylized method of drawing. I never abandoned my schedule of drawing even during the hellish last week of the program, a schedule which I still haven't dropped. I do have faith in my own desire to learn things outside of class, however, it was my friends who started that schedule for me and instilled a permanent drive to learn. I'm not going to RISD just for the teachers, I'm going there for the friends, connections, and atmosphere, which will keep me learning on my own, outside of class.

>> No.2875883

>>2872094
>I don't really know a whole lot about artist income post-graduation
If you did you probably wouldn't be going to art school to be quite frank famalam.

>> No.2875885

>>2872146
>To be honest, I don't have the math, science, or athletic prowess to get into a field other than art.

There are a lot of memes about STEM, trades etc. but you don't want to be so skeptical that you meme super fucking hard the other way.

You're much better off trying to get into a skilled labor trade than going to a $50k a year art school if you're already broke as fuck. The people who go to these schools are either already wealthy/parents are wealthy or they are good enough to get a full ride scholarship.

>> No.2875886

>>2875885
>not taking out a fat loan so you can make it and pay off your loan with your art money

>> No.2875890

>>2873509
>I don't know that to be an absolute truth that I am certain to wallow in poverty until I die though, so I'm willing to give it my best shot until I get somewhere.

It really is the absolute truth that you are significantly more likely than not to leave RISD with your BA and start your new lucrative career as a cashier at 7-11 or a barista at Starbucks.

>However, I don't feel like I'm pursuing art because it's the "easy route"
>I have really only been practicing that since the summer.

These seem contradictory. Do you really think that the kids going into engineering, science, math, poli sci, languages etc. are all prodigies in those fields? The only one you seemed to get right is the need to essentially be a prodigy to make it as a pro athlete, but that shouldn't even be a realistic consideration for you unless you've been playing X sport since you could walk, and not just for fun but with deliberate practice and training.

>Well, this dotted line is a little harder to get to than other dotted lines.

You got a $14k needs scholarship. You literally got to the "harder" dotted line by being a little broke.

Anyone willing to pay full tuition can go.

>> No.2875891

>>2875890
>Do you really think that the kids going into engineering, science, math, poli sci, languages etc. are all prodigies in those fields?
Yes. Is it not true? If you're not a prodigy, how will you make it against all the competition? Every single thing mattered since birth, and those prodigies had support their whole life. They're the luckiest individuals this world has to offer. Unlike us trash who can't afford to do anything but wimp in terror when we have to decide between starving or doing art.

>> No.2875893

>>2875891
I'm not even sure if this post is a troll or not.

If so, you got me.

>> No.2875895

>>2871973
>tfw only career path that makes me happy is art
>can't get skills to where they need to be
>depression is making it hard to stay motivated (Clinical not just art related) and usual treatments aren;'t working so well anymore
>petrified i'm going to be stuck in a dead-end job like my mom was until she hurt herself so bad she had to go on disability with no motivation to draw and an inability to get better.

I've been forcing myself to draw at least four figures a day to at least draw SOMETHING, and trying to do a new pose even if it ends up lookig shitty just to keep me in the habit of drawing but god.

Not being in school is depressing but being in school was equally depressing.

>> No.2875899

>>2875895
What kind of artist are you looking to be? A professional painter?

>> No.2875913

>>2875899
Animator..Preproduction stuff, but i'd be happy with illustration.

>> No.2876932

>>2875885
Yeah, but I do want to have a career that I enjoy. Also I'm locked into Early Decision

>> No.2876935

>>2875890
>It really is the absolute truth that you are significantly more likely than not to leave RISD with your BA and start your new lucrative career as a cashier at 7-11 or a barista at Starbucks.

Not gonna know that for sure until I try.

> These seem contradictory.

I've been drawing for 14 years, drawing with intent to become an artist for 5, drawing with intent to compete among other artists at RISD since the summer.

>You got a $14k needs scholarship. You literally got to the "harder" dotted line by being a little broke.

I wasn't referring to the scholarship, I was referring to RISD's acceptance rates.

>> No.2876937

>>2875895
Shit dude that sounds bad. I dunno if it would do the trick for you, but I get really motivated by competition and having a lot of artist friends around. If that works for you, search for other artists near you, or get a part time job and use the money to join a studio, you'll meet plenty of people there (plus having a live model won't hurt). I'd try and see if surrounding yourself in an artistic atmosphere does you any good.

>> No.2877021

The best drawing exercise is:

Gradually less-blind (from blind to peaking the more drawings you do) gestural drawing from the shoulder while standing, from observation on a sheet of paper slightly larger than your own torso your eyeline slightly above the 3/5 mark of the paper.

I've taken dozens of drawing classes and the ones where I did the above were where I saw the most improvements in all of my drawings, no matter the style I was drawing in. Standing and drawing from the shoulder increases your stamina and blind to peaking increases your hand-eye coordination which leads to better accuracy which means less checking and more drawing.

>> No.2878974
File: 1.70 MB, 210x155, no no no no no.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>got into Cooper Union's Architecture program
>started out feeling like I didn't belong and I must've gotten in by accident
>nearly failed first semester
>was told by Arch admins to take the spring semester off to clear my head and try to start again
>came back this past fall to try to do better
>everything fell apart again
>got an email from admins over break, suggesting I withdraw from the program before they kick me out
>did just that
>now going to community college for Visual Arts
>tfw lost the greatest opportunity of my life

I don't think there are words for how the past 3 months have felt.
How should I go forward? I've been living my life day-by-day just trying to get each project done and get my GPA up again.

>> No.2879224

>>2875895
>>2875913
are you me? jesus christ anon
WE CAN DO IT BRO

>> No.2879732

>>2871973
nice gesture in that pic

>> No.2879751

>>2878974

Think about how you are going to view the way you are handling this situation right now, in the future. Realize you will regret handling it badly, man up, and take more control over your emotions and your life. When the future arrives, remember the moment when you read this comment, thought, "Shit, he's right, I'm going to regret acting like a little bitch, I better man up and take more control over my emotions and my life," then thank yourself for doing the right thing.

You're welcome.

>> No.2879766

>>2878974
Anon, your experience sounds rough but learn from it.

Think about what you really want in life and what direction you want to do. Keep thinking until you know. Then make a definite plan leading up to a goal. Break down into sub goals and more sub goals. Proceed with continuous action working on your plan. Make good habits. Work out.

All defeat is just temporary. Life is an eternal struggle. Not in the sense that its hard but that you must fight, and continue to fight on in full faith, only those who fight truly ever get to live.

Remember the famous words
“if you want to shine like sun first you have to burn like it.”

>> No.2879817

>>2875448
unironically post your work

>> No.2879841

Post some work of those teachers

>> No.2879875

>>2878974
How was that scool? I'm I live in nyc and was going to apply to an art school in a few years. Im working on a aas in ID at citytech now but I want to get bachelors eventually.

Can you post your portfolio? Did you see what the BFA program was like?

Also what do you do for the arch program? I was reading the courses and it seems more theory/history than anything else

>> No.2879947
File: 439 KB, 640x360, le ara face.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2879817
>>2879875
>expecting art students to post their work

Sorry, they're just here to engage in meaningless, trite rhetoric like >>2875448 for their own comfort, not your assurance. Posting what their $40,000 a year art school has done for them, or perhaps more likely what it has not done for them, isn't of their concern. Helping you make an informed decision ultimately takes a back seat to their need to audibly justify having thrown their lives away when they didn't have to.

>>2878974
That's unfortunate, for those two semesters at Coop you could have bought yourself a real nice car, man.

https://cooper.edu/about/tuition-fees

>> No.2879966
File: 2.13 MB, 300x290, 1427680678912.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2873509
I'm applying to ArtCenter this year for illustration, bruh. Let's make our dreams come true.

>>2876935
A private art school like RISD will always have new opportunities from potential employers. Yes, they're very competitive, but if you have a go-getter mentality, they'll really be pleased by that.

Post some of your work! I'm really curious to see what you're into :)

Something else people don't realize, is that these private, well-ranked art schools are the Yale, Princeton, Harvard, etc. of the art world. They're a big financial risk, but they'll make you into the best if you work hard and listen.

>> No.2879999
File: 228 KB, 1024x728, I've been drawing for 14 years, drawing with intent to become an artist for 5, drawing with intent to compete among other artists at RISD since the summer..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2879966
He already posted his work.

>> No.2880031

>>2875448
I'm a RISD grad. A Brown student has a liberal arts degree to fall back on. While I respect your experience, it was not my experience.

>1) two types of students
Yes, there are some wealthy students and students with merit scholarships. The merit scholarships are limited compared to liberal arts schools that receive more donations in by having alumni that can get jobs. My roommates and I came from working class families and did not receive scholarships. This was more common than receiving a scholarship.

>2)
Their teachers are some of the best and are the school's greatest asset. However, you are in no way guaranteed prestigious gallery placements. The majority will never have a prestigious gallery placement.

>3)
You do get what you put into it in terms of improving your skill, but it does not guarantee you a JOB. This is my biggest issue with RISD. I feel they were untruthful about their employment rate. The students, professors, facilities, and life experience were all remarkable, but what does it mean if you can't pay back your student loans or support yourself? I'm very lucky in that I didn't take loans, but my family sunk their entire savings into the school, and I work a min wage job unrelated to art now. I was an A student who worked hard while there and while applying to jobs. The site currently claims
>96% of alumni are employed one year after graduation
I can see my classmates' (lack of) jobs through Facebook, Linkedin, and talking to them. On the career survey RISD sent us, there were checkboxes for what type of employment we currently had. Unemployed WAS NOT AN OPTION to check off.

OP, I don't think you made the wrong decision, but have a backup plan if you can. Love the school for the experience and art improvement, but don't expect an easy time finding a job. You may not have as much of an issue being someone who is good at making connections, but it is like the lottery when 1000+ people apply to one art job.

>> No.2880051 [DELETED] 
File: 1.92 MB, 236x224, le jacksonville jaguars face.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2880031
>my family sunk their entire savings into the school
>Unemployed WAS NOT AN OPTION to check off.

By your own admission this school has lied to you and tens of thousands of others by omission, has-in exchange for the "privilege" of a few short years of attendance there-taken your mother and father's savings they had spent their entire lives to accrue for themselves, and they have failed to impart you, an 'A' honor roll student with the artistic and/or social and business tools necessary to secure a job in art for yourself.

With that and some of the other things you'd said, how in the FUCK can you even bring yourself to type:

>OP, I don't think you made the wrong decision

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome

>a Brown student has a liberal arts degree to fall back on

I laughed out loud, and hard. Thank you.

>> No.2880056

>>2880031
>my family sunk their entire savings into the school
>Unemployed WAS NOT AN OPTION to check off.

By your own admission this school has lied to you and tens of thousands of others by omission, has-in exchange for the "privilege" of a few short years of attendance there-taken your mother and father's savings they had spent their entire lives to accrue for themselves, and they have failed to impart you, an 'A' honor roll student with the artistic and/or social and business tools necessary to secure a job in art for yourself.

With that and some of the other things you'd said, how in the FUCK can you even bring yourself to type:

>OP, I don't think you made the wrong decision

When your own anecdote and those of the peers you'd erstwhile networked with at the school says otherwise?

>a Brown student has a liberal arts degree to fall back on

I laughed out loud, and hard. Thank you.

>> No.2880101

>>2880056
>school has failed to impart you tools necessary to secure a job
While I felt they were dishonest about their employment rate, they aren't responsible for the lack of jobs in the market. They tried. I expect they do have a higher employment rate than lower tier schools (whatever the real number is). There is simply a lack of demand for the number of artists put out each year. I also can't deny my own faults. I could've researched more about the industry and the cost-benefit of going to even a good art school. I naively believed it would work out if I worked hard and never gave up.

>how in the FUCK can you even bring yourself to type
Poor wording. What I meant is, I can't say they made the wrong decision necessarily*. Instead, I should've said that I can understand the decision he/she made. I went for the same path of "follow your dreams." I would've regretted not trying, despite how my life turned out. Maybe this anon feels the same way. Maybe this anon will be an outlier and have a straight path to success. I would advise someone needing loans to think very carefully about this, but OP is already locked in. Breaking their desire to make an effort now wouldn't help them. Currently, their options are to make the best of their choice and to plan ahead. P.S. OP your art is pretty typical for a Freshman, so you're fine. The ones who are in trouble are the ones who don't do the work or who paid someone to make their portfolio and can't draw when they get to class.

>laughed out loud
We don't know what kind of degree that anon received, but I'm assuming it's more helpful than a BFA even for something as low as secretarial work. They could've had a STEM major for all I know. But I get what you're saying. Grass is greener, I guess.

>> No.2880306
File: 186 KB, 1085x1217, 1485982946489.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2879875
It was an amazing experience to learn everything I did while I was there, even though my life was pretty much in shambles. I dunno much about the art program, unfortunately.

The Archictecture program was:
>a main Studio class - with a beginning project for the first few weeks, then a group project involving your own work as well as working with the other 29 students in your year
>standard Calculus
>Descriptive Geometry - learning to see spaces through simple forms and create those spaces with drafting & computer software (i.e. Rhino 5)
>Freehand Drawing - life/figure drawing as well as freehand perspective studies and field trips around the city
>History of Architecture - standard "antiquity to modern times" study of arch
>Humanities&SocialScience - pretty much English class
>Introduction to Shop Techniques - learn how to not cut your limbs off/blind yourself with welding sparks/entomb yourself in plaster, as well as some fun as fuck projects
There was no chance of a solid sleep schedule if you wanted to do all your work on time. They write it off as being "part of the challenge of Arch school," which I honestly believe is true.

My portfolio of work from within Cooper isn't on my computer yet, but I do have my home test in an imgur album if you want to see.

>>2879751
>>2879766
>>2879947
I embrace your words, guys -- even if they are a little biting. I've had a hopeful outlook on where I am thus far, and I'm gonna take advantage of anything I can right now.

>> No.2880371

>>2871973
>RISD
>immense skill
ur in 4 a shocker mate

>> No.2880421

>>2880031
Thanks for the insight into RISD, anon. RISD always sort of put me off compared to other top ranking schools in the US, largely because of how it seems to be more geared towards fine arts, when art is a lucrative enough field.

Do you have any contacts with other art students/grads, like from Art Center or Ringling or Sheridan? I'm looking into entertainment design or 3D animation as a major, so if you know how they fared internship or job-wise, I'd really like to know!

>> No.2880498

>>2880306
ID love to see ur work

>> No.2880499

>>2880421
It was a bit late to the digital game because of its fine arts focus imo, but it's caught up some with the past two presidents. If I'm not mistaken, all the fine arts majors put together make up less than half the student population. The most popular major is Illustration, which can lean commercial depending on what courses you choose.

I only personally know a handful of grads from Art Center and Ringling, so I probably can't judge that well. Half of them have decent art jobs, but it's a sample size of fewer than 10 people. It's my impression that both schools are slightly more commercial, with Art Center having more industry connections due to it's location.

>> No.2880560

>>2879966
>Something else people don't realize, is that these private, well-ranked art schools are the Yale, Princeton, Harvard, etc. of the art world.

Nah homie, we realize that. But, and literally anyone who knows better will tell you this, it's infinitely better to be in the top 5-10% of your class at a decent cheaper university than it is to be in the bottom 50% at an ivy league school. If you're fucking garbage and you graduated from Harvard the name recognition isn't going to get you further than someone in the same degree program from a state school who has a stronger resume and higher GPA.

>> No.2880561

>>2880031
>>96% of alumni are employed one year after graduation

This is such a bullshit metric that schools like to use. They consider working at fucking McDonald's as "employed after graduation".

>> No.2880564

>>2880560
We are talking about art here right? Like, you know that occupation where degree and school doesn't really matter?

>> No.2880568

>>2880564
>We are talking about art here right? Like, you know that occupation where degree and school doesn't really matter?

Yes. The other anon seems to think that the RISD name recognition is going to guarantee you a job with the comparison to Ivy league schools. It's a misconception people have about going to Ivy league programs primarily because most people don't know better.

People think that having a degree in whatever you want from Harvard regardless of class standing means you're on your way to the 1%, just as they seem to think getting into one of the "top" art schools means you're on your way to three (well two) animated hits on Fox.

My point is that, just like with art school not actually mattering in the scheme of employment in the art industry, attendance and graduation from an Ivy league school doesn't matter if you aren't in the top 10% (at least) of your program with a strong resume.

>> No.2880615
File: 65 KB, 500x382, hug life.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2880101
You wouldn't mind posting your art, would you?

We really ought to know what passes for an A student's work at RISD because it's very topical to the thread, and all threads involving the art school question, in fact.

Don't be shy, man. consider running the picture through a subtle filter to make sure it can't be tracked back to you if it's a concern. My beef is with the schools, not with you. You've struggled enough, and we all want to see what for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOQEWZzz3L4

>> No.2881184

i will bump this pham

>> No.2881409

>>2871973
i dropped out of RISD

it's amazing for illustration, SIGN UP
for lenny's classes if you want to push yourself (he's brutal)
Tony Janello for Color and concept
Nick Jainschigg for painting

DROP/change teachers if you get Fritz Drury for painting/drawing, he is absolute shit absolute pointless and the only reason he's in faculty is because his wife is in the chair board

otherwise
there is a shit ton of black lives matter shit, and feminist shit that goes on in the classrooms and pontificated by everyone (lecturers alike)

If you're anywhere conservative/ republican, there is a good group of people at Brown to hang out with, or just hit the gym at Brown (it's free btw, because RISD is an affilate) and if you sign up earlier, you can attend classes at Brown (do it! )

One thing you're going to experience is pussy heaven, if you're a guy, and a whole lot of mean girls going on. Be a tough street cookie and play your cards well.

All in all, RISD was great in improving my technical skills, but it can be utterly and intellectually void in their social circles.

do! suck up to the good teachers though, you never know a good recommendation could go a long way, and do! bake things for class crit, instant love from everyone

2 things I did not do

oh yeah
do you know sam hyde is our alumni? or yours

I dropped out of RISD and saved one year of tuition money
might go back to complete my final year but I'm building my career in illustration and sales (really all you need is a strong portfolio but the name RISD helps immensely)

Good luck kiddo

have fun!
DON't spend time smoking weed, hone your craft
make friends with the librians and the cooking staff, they seem to be the only people on campus who are 'real'

>> No.2881413

>>2881409
post your work

>> No.2881416 [DELETED] 
File: 2.52 MB, 1524x1308, old shit.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2881413

>> No.2881425

>>2881413
posted n deleted

anyhoo
OP
pay a little more attention to typography
and learn of the different markets to illustration
(game, magazine, online, are concurrently the ones that utilize it the most)
And also!!!!

whenever there's a field trip to newyork to look at some shit go go go
if you hear about a party going on in new york with older alumni, go go go

network your way to knowing key people in the industry you want to enter

I wish I painted more and visited the botanical display more, you will never find any place quite like it

and if you ever take Janello's class, tell him ninja said hi

>> No.2881428

Network the shit out of the school

some posters are right, the school is filled with filthy rich kids (whom some are really talented and very hardworking)

yep

know the right people, work hard and you'll be set for life really

>> No.2881429
File: 120 KB, 546x540, coffee.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2881413

>> No.2881457
File: 103 KB, 580x416, tricky mickey.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Several people in this thread mention having attended RISD.

One of them graduated claiming to be an A student. Despite suggesting that they had in the process driven both themselves and their family into poverty, and despite suggesting their peers from the school they've kept in contact with through social media have failed to secure relevant employment just as they had, they are still encouraging you to attend.

Another claims to have dropped out and is still encouraging you go because it's "pussy heaven", despite the fact you could hire a black hooker with rockin' tits and big bongo lips that will go absolutely congo crazy on your white boy dick for 1/400th of the cost-and would probably model for you for life drawing purposes too if you asked.

Neither these people nor the others that said or implied they've attended in this thread have posted their work, and none of these people will post their work. That should tell you all you need to know about this school and the art school industry itself.

It's unethical, it's a scam, and it's all propped up by well-meaning but gullible dupes and barely literate self-indulgent retards with rich parents. Attend at your own peril.

>> No.2881481

>>2881409
>I had fun being away from my parents for the first time in my life.
no kidding

>> No.2881500

>>2881428
wow sounds like you're speaking from expectations but failed. you cuck.

>> No.2881511

>>2881481
>tfw you don't have parents to be away from

ok

>> No.2881517
File: 107 KB, 244x311, 1487477296968.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Just want to be an illustrator
>It feels absolutely impossible and improbable despite my sudden increase in artistic skill
>Feel like I don't have the creative power to be a successful one

Everything I make is lacking in imagination, and it's all very bland. It's all so damn boring and mundane. I can't break out of what I am.

>> No.2881519

>>2881517
Not gonna make it.

>> No.2881534

>>2871973
I wouldn't spend the money on art school, yet. Go learn how to make good money via STEAM or a trade job. Take up art when you have secure fiscal standing. Burdening yourself needlessly with loans is a quick way to eating ramen and some cleaning you off a bloody wall.

>> No.2881547

>>2881457
Poverty anon here. I wasn't encouraging Op to go. He/she is already locked into going. I stated the things OP could reasonably expect and not expect, in my personal opinion. I already said I would advise someone having to take loans to consider very carefully the consequences of what they're doing, because it could be difficult to pay them back.

I won't post work, because I'd still like to get a job one day without employers seeing me say negative things about my alma mater. It's a small world. I can only speak unfiltered anonymously. Sorry. I hope you understand.

It's not as black and white as "you should go" or "you shouldn't go" the way it might be with say, University of Phoenix. It depends on a person's financial status, what they want from college, and how much risk they're willing to take. Along with the failures, there is a percentage of students who were successful that might not have been successful without going. I think there are good alternatives to a traditional art school these days but can't make a blanket yes or no statement to strangers when it greatly affects their future.

>> No.2881554

>>2881547
>it's a small world
Is it really now

>> No.2881563

>>2881554
If you need an example of how small it is, I'm friends with one of the students from the summer program OP was in. I've also met other Risd grads from my year randomly on here. They'd recognize my work, and I'd recognize theirs.

>> No.2881669
File: 41 KB, 600x600, le hospitalized orangutan face.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2881547
You seem like a nice guy (or girl~), Believe me I'm not trying to beat you up or make you feel depressed about your situation but your story as it pertains to RISD is important and is one that ought to be told to completion.

As an aside, just because OP's been accepted does not mean he's locked into going at all as far as I know. Classes don't begin for him for well over a month and he could easily walk away after some light paperwork if he so chooses I would imagine.

>>2881547

First, you haven't even said anything outright negative, you've only been honest about things that were negative i.e. the complete lie that "6 gorillion percent of people that graduate from this school have a job after they leave". This is something they might be able to be sued for, even. If you still have that survey you should post it so we can compare it to how they use post graduation employment rates to promote their school.

Second, nobody gives a shit about what you say with regards to your alma mater; in fact Noah Bradley was doing quite well for himself (before getting cucked by a creepy hipster) almost exclusively BECAUSE he spoke negatively about his alma mater and it went viral (he also attended RISD btw fambino, but dropped out because of the insane tuition rates). With where you're at right now, you have absolutely nothing to lose or to fear. Gnomesaiyan?

>> No.2881695

>major in illustration
Why illustration? At least make up your mind a little bit more.

>> No.2881749
File: 217 KB, 360x360, Ararararagi-san.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2880498
aight, here's the hometest
http://imgur.com/a/2mhVq
I can't remember much of my line of thought, but apparently it was good enough to get into Cooper.

Turns out I also have most of my other college application portfolio on this comp. Have at it:
http://imgur.com/a/SObWf

I also realize my name is on some of these. Please, I don't need anymore headaches than I already have so do you best to ignore it.
I guess I'll delete this post by tomorrow

>> No.2881781

>>2873141
kek,$200 for an old netbook, $15 for a 2500 ream of paper, $3 for pencils, maybe $20 for some paint, $10 for pastels. Ignoring a tablet and paid software/copyrights allows for a $248 price tag with a path to self-discipline and learning how to teach oneself.

>> No.2881782

>>2881781
>maybe $20 for some paint, $10 for pastels
kek

>> No.2881791

>>2875448
>justifying the cost of a US university
While I can agree that the harsh standards of challenging schools and programs force students to learn to put in a large amount of work, having gone through it myself for science and math, I can't understand the justification for it especially when colleges don't do shit to ensure students get jobs once they graduate. I got degrees in more stable fields of science that cost less than what this school is charging for art degrees which can be replaced with dedication and hardwork. Going to any college for a skill is pointless if you can get that skill elsewhere and still be recognized.

>> No.2881794

>>2881791
>when colleges don't do shit to ensure students get jobs once they graduate.
But that's not the college's job. Does no one remember that? College isn't even made for jobs. That's what a trade school is for or even an internship.

>> No.2881799

>>2881749
>negative space
kek, did you get a good grade for that?

>> No.2881805

>>2881782
Start from scratch brah, all you need are the primaries and white, hate it when I see people looking for special colors and flat black the plebs.

>> No.2881809

>>2881794
Actually it is the advertised purpose of colleges to prepare students with the skills they need to achieve a job in the industry they're studying. Go browse some college websites for their stated purpose. Doesn't help that everything from primary school to the mass-media screech that it's impossible to make a living without a college degree.

>> No.2881810
File: 68 KB, 650x600, 1484797984510.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2881799
no fuckin clue, they gave it back when I startd my second year with no grade marks

>> No.2881863

>>2871973
I barely know how to actually draw and I'm passing with flying colors. Thank you shitty teachers!

>> No.2881865

>>2881863
You're only hurting yourself.

>> No.2881870

>>2881863
>going to school just for the grade
why

>> No.2881913

>>2881865
>>2881870

Reminds me of this video by Jeff "Tube-Sock Cock" Watts wherein he says "If I have to leverage you with grades you're not going to make it".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX0MrnzBJ8M

Really good topical video by Feng Zhu as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3Al7QAS89s

Really important videos to be honest, families.

>> No.2881949

I don't know, but somehow Art Schools don't work. In my country, college education is free. It seems like a great deal, but even if it's free I'm probably gonna drop out, because it is a huge waste of time. They give you a ton of work but you don't improve. In my opinion, the inefficiency comes from the teachers having this contemporary-abstract mindset, which inherently contradictory with the "get good" technical oriented training that is necesary to "make it" in the industry. But if it costed that shitload of money, I wouldn't even consider going to Art School

>> No.2881956

>>2881749

Thanks m8.
We arnt like those other boards, we won't hurt you :)

>> No.2881961

>>2881949
>But if it costed that shitload of money, I wouldn't even consider going to Art School
Easy to say when it's not one of your only options to make it. Some people are more than willing to risk their life with debt to make it.

>> No.2882146

>>2881865
>>2881870
Yeah, I know. I probably ought to not do this but I'm doing it anyway. Making reasonable decisions has never been my forte. I mean, for fuck sake, I'm going to an art college with absolutely no skill or prior interest (as in *I have never even drawn, paint, sculpted, etc, until I started going to class*). I rejected a scholarship at a fancy techy college for this. Was it worth it? I dunno, that'll depend on whether or not I'll get kicked out for being shitty. (Won't happen, IMO.)

>> No.2882148

>>2882146
I hate you people, stealing my opportunities just because I cared more about something else rather than do well in school.

>> No.2882175

>>2873555
For the dumb art jobs sure
For commercial art you need only talent and personability

For the art world to take you seriously you need a fucking MFA let alone a BFA and don't even try with a BA

>> No.2882267 [DELETED] 
File: 200 KB, 1000x750, I have a $75,000 art degree. I am more intelligent than you could ever hope to be..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2882175
>the art world

lmao

>> No.2882271
File: 958 KB, 480x287, you are incorrect tbh fam.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2882175

I wonder what school this fellow graduated from?

http://hoaxes.org/archive/permalink/pierre_brassau_monkey_artist

>> No.2882312

>>2875546
>Might be because I'm young af, but why are you so damn pessimistic? I feel like I wouldn't get anything done by being so cynical.

are you a moron? schools are a business

>I'd like to succeed on my own, which I intend to do after college. However, I don't feel confident in my ability to teach myself,

aka too scared to actuaklly try so throw money at it instead

>world reknown

for what? blank canvases? You didn't go to college because someone that you wanted to be was a teacher at risd. prestige doesn't amount to anything.

>Outside of class, I dedicated all my time to learning how to create a stylized method of drawing.
>m-muh style

deviantart-tier delusion. Stylization emerges organically, focus on building real skill.

> I'm going there for the friends, connections, and atmosphere

lel

>which will keep me learning on my own, outside of class.

never gonna make it

>> No.2882778

>>2882271
There are rarities of course
I'm speaking in broad non finite terms
Sure there are some that can go without school (and monkeys) but for most anons here you're gonna need a degree

>> No.2883758

>>2882312
>are you a moron? schools are a business

you could argue that, but at their core (especially with one made such a long time ago), they are for teaching students.

>>aka too scared to actuaklly try so throw money at it instead

Not "too scared", I'm trying to improve on my own right now, and I can tell you, it is so much slower than learning at RISD.

>>for what? blank canvases? You didn't go to college because someone that you wanted to be was a teacher at risd. prestige doesn't amount to anything.

Those who are very prestigious often have some pretty nice connections.

>>deviantart-tier delusion. Stylization emerges organically, focus on building real skill.

gotta say, you've got me there. I just figured it wouldn't hurt to spend some time learning anatomy and form, flow, etc since precollege did not teach me any of that.

>> lel
?? I'm not going there just for that. I'm saying all those factors help me more than you think.

>>never gonna make it

You don't know that.

>> No.2883792

>>2881409
Holy shit thanks for the gold mine. During precollege, I had Tim Belt for the drawing major. I think the most brutal teacher I had was Jason LeClair for critical art studies, nevertheless, he was an amazing teacher. I think I'll go for lenny's and Janello's courses, I really want to improve my painting.

>>there is a shit ton of black lives matter shit, and feminist shit that goes on in the classrooms and pontificated by everyone (lecturers alike)

Kinda figured, since it was an art school. I'm a lil confused about it tho since a large percent of the student population is international chinese, I heard they didn't like having foreign social and political movements pushed upon them. Also thought it was kinda strange that the only black person I saw during the whole six weeks was my RA.

>>If you're anywhere conservative/ republican, there is a good group of people at Brown to hang out with, or just hit the gym at Brown (it's free btw, because RISD is an affilate) and if you sign up earlier, you can attend classes at Brown (do it! )

Aw hell yeah! I'd consider myself more liberal, but I'll check em out if theyre cool. I know RISD has the gym right beneath the cafeteria, is the Brown one much larger? I'm learning some beginner mma stuff so i'd love to have somewhere where I can get some exercise and spar without having to schedule or pay for time at a dojo.

>>One thing you're going to experience is pussy heaven, if you're a guy, and a whole lot of mean girls going on. Be a tough street cookie and play your cards well.

Lmao i dunno about me being a pussy slayer. I'm a 6 foot lanky half chinese so I doubt i'd have the girls swarming to me. I do remember seeing shit like that though during the summer. There were more fuckbuddies than I could count, one of my RAs had nearly the entire precollege student body drooling over him, TAs started going after the HS seniors and juniors, and I think one of my friends had a yandere after her.

>> No.2883804

>>2881409

>>do! suck up to the good teachers though, you never know a good recommendation could go a long way, and do! bake things for class crit, instant love from everyone

Gotcha. That's what I did during precollege and got some nice recommendations for RISD. I can't cook for shit, the best I can do is mediocre dumplings.

>>do you know sam hyde is our alumni? or yours
That's so cool, didn't know he went there.

>>DON't spend time smoking weed, hone your craft. make friends with the librians and the cooking staff, they seem to be the only people on campus who are 'real'

I know a lot of the rich kids spent most of their time partying (especially the industrial design kids) and shopping. I'm gonna hopefully keep myself on task while I'm there. The fleet library was amazing, all the cooks were some of the nicest people on campus. The security and a few of the cops kinda creep me out a bit.

>> No.2883815

>>2881425
>>pay a little more attention to typography
Will do. How is it used in illustration? My mental picture is something like the fancy text in used in graphic design but I probably have it wrong.

>>(game, magazine, online, are concurrently the ones that utilize it the most)
Gonna look into it a bit more, but my dream is to work for games and film, I'd love to work for Weta.

>>whenever there's a field trip to newyork to look at some shit go go go. if you hear about a party going on in new york with older alumni, go go go. network your way to knowing key people in the industry you want to enter

I'll be sure to look out for those. I've heard many things about New York being important for galleries and connections, is it the best place to go in search of those?

>>I wish I painted more and visited the botanical display more, you will never find any place quite like it

I don't remember anything like that, but the nature lab was my shit.

>>and if you ever take Janello's class, tell him ninja said hi

If I meet him, I'll let him know.

Thank you so much for all this, I'll keep it all in my mind.

Sidenote: anywhere to get a relatively cheap good haircut? My hair grows kinda fast and I don't want to have to add that to the list of expenses, along with all the art supplies that I'll have to restock.

>> No.2883817

>>2883815
just cut your hair your own damn self

>> No.2883818

>>2881695
I heard if concept art is what you seek, then do Illustration.

>> No.2883824

>>2881669
OP here, yeah I could do the paperwork and stuff, but I think I'd feel kinda depressed and shit, the anticipation of going to RISD is fueling my art practice and keeping me from fucking up my grades (a bit sad, I know). I don't really know all the stats and stuff, but I'm just gonna try my best, put all the effort I can into each piece of work, talk to and meet everyone I can and keep working until I get somewhere.

>> No.2883827

>>2883817
Good point, I should probably learn how to do that.

>> No.2883828

>>2871978
Put dave rapoza in this chart bro. nice picture anyways.

>> No.2883829

>>2881428
Yeah my plan is to get in good with the Chinese students, they have the best work ethics. That's what I did during the summer and it really helped out.

>> No.2883852

don't be shy.

if you're not the best in the class consider yourself lucky, because you have somebody who can help you get gud and you can also hang out.

stay away form anybody who makes meme jokes irl

talk and get to know your professors they were just like you at one point.

don't do drugs

don't pull all nighters, manage your time, don't pull all nighters. dumbest thing u can do in college

don't be a know it all. you're not as gud as u think. keep this mentality for the rest of your art career.

don't run in the hallways. you look like a retard.
buddy up with people who are better than you.

draw/paint personal work everyday

don't get cuck'd

>> No.2883857

Why US people always going to shit at schools even if you can google good ones? I jsut don't understand

>> No.2883859

>>2883857
No one can afford the good ones

>> No.2883871

if you can't affored school just hire a prostitute. when i bought a house. pretty much a bacholar. now i just pay young prostitutes 100 an hour to pose. plus watching them strip is fun. life drawing is all you need to get gud the rest is imagination/creativity.

>> No.2883879

>>2883871
You think I got 100/hour?

>> No.2883882
File: 2.69 MB, 480x270, libertarianism.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2883758
>Not "too scared", I'm trying to improve on my own right now, and I can tell you, it is so much slower than learning at RISD.

How do you know? You haven't gone yet and no one from RISD has posted their work in this thread except a guy that dropped out-and he only posted his work from before he attended.

>>2883792
>Goldmine
>taking advice from a college dropout

Wow

>>2883792
>I consider myself more liberal

Just remember when you're paying $400+ a month to RISD on your highschool graduate salary and you start getting solicited to join a Maoist book club that capitalism fucking rocks and you have only yourself to blame for your soon-to-be-shitty circumstances

Fucking Bern-outs.

>> No.2883885

>>2883882
>taking advice from a college dropout
Bill Gates is one though

>> No.2883895
File: 203 KB, 1024x728, I've been drawing for 14 years, drawing with intent to become an artist for 5, drawing with intent to compete among other artists at RISD since the summer..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2883885
He dropped out for the same reason most artists shouldn't even go. He wasn't successful because of college, he was successful in spite of it.

http://fundersandfounders.com/how-bill-gates-started/

>comparing the founder of a ubiquitous software technology to a guy that made this

>> No.2883911

>>2883882
>How do you know? You haven't gone yet and no one from RISD has posted their work in this thread except a guy that dropped out-and he only posted his work from before he attended.

I went to precollege there.

>Wow

Doesnt matter if he's a dropout, all that matters is that he went there.

>Just remember when you're paying $400+ a month to RISD on your highschool graduate salary and you start getting solicited to join a Maoist book club that capitalism fucking rocks and you have only yourself to blame for your soon-to-be-shitty circumstances

Jesus christ man. I don't consider myself politically active nor do I want to take part in any type of political studies. I'm sorry if I've offended you by saying the word "liberal".

>> No.2883917

>>2883895
Look man, I know all these people are telling me not to go, but I'm still going.

This isn't necessarily directed towards you, but although yall throw these suggestions of me being dirt poor and living under a bridge at me, its not going to change my mind.

I'm not going to cancel Early Decision and study on my own.
I'm not going to a different college.
I'm not going to do anything other than art.

This is the choice I've made and if yall are so interested in "fixing my future", then give me some tips on how to succeed at RISD.
The best advice I've received so far was from the "drowning in pussy" guy.

>> No.2883918
File: 139 KB, 600x404, kill me fam.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2883911
>I'm sorry if I've offended you by saying the word "liberal".

It was just banter my man, but the rest of what I've posted in this ITT thread certainly wasn't. There's no going back.

>> No.2883920

>>2883917
Anon, tell me how do I fix my future. How do I become successful like you?

>> No.2883930

>>2883917
>then give me some tips on how to succeed at RISD.

Skip your classes and run away from home to avoid your impending debt slave nightmare

:^)

>> No.2883935

>>2883885
>>taking advice from a college dropout
>Bill Gates is one though

This is the biggest meme that ever memed in the history of memes.

>> No.2883945

>>2883930
Thanks man, any idea on what to pack?

>> No.2883948

>>2883920
Kys, hopefully you'll be reborn as a rich kid in the next life.

>> No.2883951

>>2883918
I suppose, but rather than giving up or being depressed about my future and all, I'd like to try getting to where I want to be before I despair.