[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 781 KB, 2048x2048, 16804357_1292542997465473_1994864463528239740_o.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2870429 No.2870429 [Reply] [Original]

sup /ic/ thought I'd share something I finished today

Its an album cover for an electronic music duo who make some pretty bonkers IDM / breakcore.

themes I was working on are obviously the idea of an opressive society alluded to by the title they gave me, one of the tracks samples the film Zardoz - all things alluding to a downfall/subjugation of our civilisation.

additionally I had just finished reading hyperion and fall of hyperion which at its core is the idea of humanity needing 'atonment' .... and bill cypher.

any photoshop gurus who want to pick apart my photobashing are more than welcome, as are any other critiques.

>> No.2872697

noone?

>> No.2872801

- Your kerning is not very good, especially in 'RAVE'.
- Typography treatment does not go beyond the most basic Photoshop layer style effects. Makes it look cheap.
- Looking at the album title, I can see that the E's, W's and R's are the same. So you used a ready-made lettertype. That's ok, but it's a pity you didn't actually made them different after the initial transformation. That also makes it look cheap.
- Band name is placed badly, like an afterthought. I can imagine you thinking "I've got this cool symmetric design,but where the hell do I put the band name. Ugh, ok I'll put it in the corner somewhere."

I do not have any specific comments on the overall design and execution. It's not really my taste, it isn't terrible, but it also doesn't make me go wow. Good contrast and colours, though.
If possible, I'd fix the things I mentioned. It might be worthwhile. I do not know about other anons, but I have actually picked CDs in the music store based on the cover (I did dump a lot after a trial listen, but the point is that a good cover does influence me).