[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 19 KB, 260x314, Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2767957 No.2767957 [Reply] [Original]

Is Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain worth reading? I looked at it and I felt like tldr

>> No.2767959

Do Keys to Drawing instead.

>> No.2767960

Sadly most books I read turn out to be completely forgotten because the text is too long just to fill out the pages. They go on and on like an eroge dialogue box and everything feels tiring. I'd much rather learn from videos or short precise tutorials. Books have never been helpful for me.

>> No.2767970

A lot of the text is useless pseudoscience, so >>2767959

Despite tl;dr being appropriate for drawing on the right side of the brain, it's a shitty attitude to have more generally.

>> No.2768191

keys to draw is the best book for beginners imho

>> No.2768252

>>2767970
tl;dr

>> No.2768281

>>2767957
the new version it's called the new drawing on the right side. it's recommended for regular people who think they can't draw at all. the exercises are pretty interesting (drawing upside down photos, drawing negative space shapes, drawing with the eyes closed etc) she explains a lot of things on why we do symbolic/children drawings as adults and some of the exercises help you understand your own brain and how to get in 'the zone' it shouldn't take longer than a week or two to read it.

>> No.2768498

>>2767957
>I looked at it and I felt like tldr
There is also a workbook version without all the tldr.

>> No.2768504

It's a pretty fun start for people who can't draw at all but want to try it out. What matters is, how you proceed after the book.

>> No.2769247

>>2768191
>>2767959
Literally this. Dodson is based, everyone should do Keys to Drawing.

>> No.2769349

>>2769247
All of the day burrow

>> No.2769603

>>2767957
I read it a long time ago, if anything it convinced me that if I practiced and tried hard enough I could draw. Now it feels more like a self help book that anything else.

I did improved but I stopped buying how to draw manga books, wasting time with online tutorials and enrolled in drawing classes at the same time.

>> No.2770274

>>2767957
The exercises are really great but the science is horseshit.

>> No.2772157

>>2767957
Drawing on the right side is a fucking scam book and is just an ad pamphlet for the courses that woman shills.

Get Practice and Science of Drawing, it's free.

>> No.2772174

>>2769247
keys to drawing feels like outdated bullshit. I draw on the computer and don't rely heavily on reference but half the book is about different types of pens and measuring shit when drawing from life. what are the good parts of the book that I should be focusing on? I'm not finished but outlook is bleak.

>large forms first
yeah no shit

that's the only real takeaway from it so far

>> No.2772180

>>2772174
The measuring part is important. It doesn't need to be from life, you can do it with reference photos. Also, if you're a beginner you should probably start out traditional and transition to digital later.

>> No.2772187

>>2772180
I feel like it could be important, but I have a few issues in my mind. When drawing from imagination and experience of anatomy one would normally draw simple 3D forms like boxes and such in perspective and then divide them, right? Also if you don't rely on reference there is no need for measuring. I was watching a proko video that said measuring is important because it teaches you the proportions since it forces you to pay attention your knowledge over time will increase. Wouldn't it be the same if you simply pay attention to relationships between parts? Like the lower leg is about as long as the upper leg, etc. I'll be focusing a lot on gesture and 3D shapes in perspective. I feel like I'm missing something important because the book feels like it should be more important to me, but a lot of the knowledge contained I am having a hard time relating to my current art and practicing. Going traditional would fix these issues, but I really want to get used to using a tablet if possible.

>> No.2772854

>>2772187
The book teaches you how to see things properly and then draw them accurately. It's not for drawing from imagination, it's for drawing models in front of you, the shit laying on your desk, etc (still life).

>> No.2772859

>>2770274
This