[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 351 KB, 715x480, vilppu.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2734640 No.2734640 [Reply] [Original]

Glenn says, you need to be able to see 2D shapes, so you can translate from life to a flat piece of paper, but meanwhile think 3 dimensionaly. Wut? Can someone explain how the hell should one do that?

>> No.2734648
File: 68 KB, 718x480, vilppu.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2734640
I wanted to explain but then realised that I don't get it either and got carried away.

>> No.2734652

There's nothing to explain. You need to be able to translate 3D objects into 2D shapes in your mind and vice versa.

>> No.2734674

>>2734640
It means draw what you see, to concentrate on shapes over symbols, while keeping in mind that everything is relative to one another in terms of space.

This isn't rocket science.

>> No.2734690

>>2734640
i feel like a drawing practice based around sculpting figures and drawing them from different angles and then drawing them from imagination without reference would be greatly beneficial to understand this concept and apply it

>> No.2734719
File: 517 KB, 600x958, 1476221092352.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

<that

>> No.2734732

They all spout bullshit. Feel shapes, another says feel the volumes instead of the shapes.
What it comes down to in the end is just drawing and studying anatomy and perspective. This feeling the forms bullshit can go suck a dick.

>> No.2734734

>>2734732
:O

>> No.2734741

>>2734640
objects exist in three spacial dimensions but technically you only see in two spacial dimensions

your brain does a whole lotta riggamaroo to help you more easily (and more importantly: quickly) take in this information and process it for what you've been instinctually (or societally, but that debate is not important for this discussion, so i will use instinctually because it's easier to work grammatically) trained to think of as important.

how exactly certain minutiae shapes of the skull (and muscle and skin that sit on top of it) fit together to create faces that "look right" is not important to properly functioning in a society, all your brain knows to do instinctually is parse whether or not a face looks correct.

you gotta spend time honing and training your eye (or rather your brain) to see and quickly understand the shapes that it sees (shapes that are technically 2 dimensional) and to consciously be able to understand how and why they make that shape because of the 3d object that they represent. the hopeful end goal of this is to be able to extrapolate 2d shapes from a 3d object from various angles (and vice versa) at will and with speed.

>>2734732
there's no one right way to draw or even learn to draw, these instructors are only trying to explain their own processes and how they personally go about drawing.

tho i feel it worth noting that vilppu seems to be highly regarded by artists (mostly animators) because he tends to focus much upon the weight and/or forces behind poses and/or actions, a thing that many anatomy books/courses tend to unfortunately leave out (or at most quickly gloss over).