[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 173 KB, 900x1200, BLACKED4TRUMP.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2693863 No.2693863 [Reply] [Original]

I've been trying to draw seriously for about 2 years, but I feel like I haven't progressed much at all. If not even Loomis - Fun With Pencil could save me, does that mean I just have no talent?

>> No.2693896

Yup!

Wallow in misery.

>> No.2693910

Drawing LITERALLY isn't meant for everyone. Some people find this out the hard way.

>> No.2693914

2 years is nothing. Everyone takes a different amount of time to git gud, the important thing is that you don't force it. Draw subjects you want to draw, study, read art books, but never forget to enjoy. Each drawing you're going to learn something new, even if it's by osmosis.

Don't stress, just draw, and draw a lot. Draw everywhere. Draw a lot from life. Just draw.

Also, I don't recommend coming to /ic/ while starting out. This place has gone pretty downhill lately, as you can see with the first few comments. Wish I could recommend a better art community that's active, but I haven't really been able to find one that is as good as old /ic/ was.

>> No.2693915

>>2693914
We're just saying it how it is, if anything we're saving OP from having to waste years in something he's never gonna succeed in.

>> No.2693917

>>2693915
Nah, you are encouraging somebody to quit before they've even really started by making up nonsense. Sure there are the naturally gifted, but art is a thing that people can git gud at by hard work and perseverance. Hell, it's easier than ever to even be considered good. Just look at all the critics that praise Marvel artists like Henderson.

>> No.2693923

>>2693863
no, art education sucks and is substandard

>> No.2693957

>>2693863
Lol the guy with straitened hair

>> No.2693993

Don't see your progression in years but in hours, it's not the same thing if you drew 9 hours a week for 2 years than 35

>> No.2694005

>>2693915
Fuck off you edgy baby

>> No.2694008

>>2694005
Scared talentless baby detected.

>> No.2694041

>>2693993
This so much, why don't more people recognize this, it's crazy the amount of people I see talk about how long they've been drawing instead of how much.

>> No.2695027

Maybe its more about lesson interpretation, one of the things I most tend to notice towards people atempting to be self-taught is that they take art books like cake recipes.
As in "Here is how you get good in 12 easy steps", and its just not this way, its not even about hours really, you can be dedicated if you find time to train in a short ammount of time but dedicating yourself daily.
Try absorving your lessons by interpreting each step, don't copy every drawing on an artbook (take those concepts and apply them to your own constructed poses), make notes of EVERY artbook you find, go after some art lessons with private teachers, clean up your room and be more organized, talk to professional artists on platforms like tumblr, use the "humour" or social networking sites less often in your free time to learn how to draw (only use them during weekends).
Its about creating a routine in order to learn how to draw

>> No.2695093

I'm OP. Ok, let me get this straight. Even after so many attempts I still fail at drawing a smooth circle, drawing a 3D loomis skull, drawing figures, getting visal grasp of symmetry and perspective, consistency, etc. Did anyone else get this problem at your early attempts? Because I've been drawing perspective since middle school but still I can't do it well.

>>2693993
I don't know, but I drew a lot and also gave up a lot. Could take me 4 hours a day if I really persisted.

>> No.2695396
File: 362 KB, 523x592, 1474429090655.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2693863
You dont have The Spark

>> No.2695405

>>2695396
for what reason did you post a reply to this thread without a sage

>> No.2695421
File: 65 KB, 504x676, capture19.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2695405
Cause i can nerd, fuck off

>> No.2695442

you won't be good in two years, if that's what you're expecting. it takes way longer than that to be even decent. don't let any of these dudes throw you off though, keep drawing and experiment with different styles and mediums, you'll find your groove eventually.

>> No.2695465

>>2695093
4 hours a day only on good days? No wonder you've progressed slowly, you don't actually want to get good at all. You come here and make excuses about how you can't draw no matter how hard you try and expect people to agree with you. Wanting the "not everyone can draw meme xd" to feel better about how pathetic you sound. That's bullshit, you need to get out of your victim mentallity and grow up. Art takes hard work to get good at and there's no magical answer to get out of that.

>but my circles are badddd xd

then draw nothing but circles 30 minutes everyday. And don't think about how badly they look, everysingle thing you draw will be a failure in one way or another. Just fucking draw. Draw.

>> No.2695613

>>2695465
OP here. I'm actually searching for an advice for dedication. Like I said, I get easily irritated, I gave up a lot, it's like a torture to fail repeatedly even just for a day. On top of that, I don't have much free time. I want to be good, but is it normal if I find drawing extremely excruciating?

>> No.2695666

>>2695613
Trust me you have time, you say you dont but you do. I hardly doubt your working and/or going to school everyday for 24 hours. If you want to become good, you gotta want it. Cut off video game or anything else you could waste time on. You can draw just about everywhere, youre only making excuses. Draw while watching tv, draw in the bus, draw while eating, draw while jerking, draw draw draw draw.

>> No.2695675
File: 324 KB, 1000x394, Alla Prima - Richard Schmid pg. 3; 'Talent'.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2695680

>>2695613
this nigga's right >>2695666
You'd be surprised how much free time you have once you stop wasting it on bullshit that gives you nothing possitive in the long run. Get your shit together, ask yourself whether you want it and then leave it at the top of your priority chain. Fun comes later.