[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 74 KB, 710x502, 1470159954634.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2631757 No.2631757 [Reply] [Original]

I want to have a set goal to work towards with my art, so I can narrow my studies.
I originally started drawing so I could animate, but now I've found myself also interested in concept art, storyboard art, and most of all designing characters.
What resources are there for exploring career options?
pic isnt really all that related

>> No.2631812

>>2631757
well seeing that you're interested in animation I'd say your options to become a concept artist, storyboard artist or character designers is much easier actually

but the catch is that you have to start from the bottom like everybody does but at least in animation it's much easier. The reason being is that animation companies are always looking inbetweeners, light/shaders, cleanup and all that menial work. If you work in an animation company your chances of being promoted into your goal positions are much higher or at least the path is much linear since you work with said people in the same company and making the right connections are very easy.

but let's say you don't have the connections you still end up working underneath said jobs and therefor learn from them and gain experience you can use what you learn and practice and preferably ask for their critique if you get close to them(this is where work place relationships or friendships come handy) and you can use that experience to give you an edge in getting hired or even get promoted since you technically became an apprentice.

a lot of the veterans in the animation industry has worked in almost if not all the departments from bottom to the top. If you read most disney animators book they will always say that they started as inbetweeners,cleanup, or light/shadows and they just worked their way to the top that's how it's always been.

>> No.2631814

>>2631812
the catch I mean being that the bottom is much harder and really tiring because the menial work is usually the hardest ones so sticking to it usually is the hardest

>> No.2635674

test