[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 238 KB, 1754x2000, F094-duchamp-fontaine-2-f.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2326951 No.2326951[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

What do you think of this /ic/?

>> No.2326963

>>2326951
dada dada dada dada dada dada

>> No.2326968
File: 1.36 MB, 478x360, 123013.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2326951
It's....it's work or art.
I love it.

>> No.2326993

>>2326951

Bog?

>> No.2326999

Literal trash. From a purely aesthetic point of view, it's trash. Also, it's often said that a picture's worth a thousand words. But this picture is only worth one word: trash.

>> No.2327007

>>2326999

Perhaps one day you will develop the necessary cognitive ability to comprehend it.

>> No.2327010

>>2327007
There's nothing to comprehend.

>> No.2327020
File: 136 KB, 1120x977, 123678345468.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2326993
Okay that was funny

>> No.2327030

>>2326951
Nothing interesting.

>> No.2327036

>>2326951

CONTEXT

>> No.2327047

>>2326951
historical point in art

>> No.2327049

>>2327036
Fuck feminists!

>> No.2327301

>>2327049
you're right
https://youtu.be/1dZ5BtZkIR4

>> No.2327881

It's a way of saying "Fuck you people!" while laughing at the world trying to come up with a reason why this should/shouldn't be considered art. In other words, uncle Marcey was a troll.

>> No.2328042

>>2326999
this is definitely worth at least a thousand words. not about its beauty or aesthetic appeal (obviously), but about its conceptual dimension and place in art history. this was a pivotal moment for art, regardless of whether or not you believe it was for the better or for the worse.

>> No.2328059

>>2326951
fuck bougereau and his shitty wax characters

>> No.2328081

>>2326951
nothing

>> No.2328154

I'd say it's shit, but piss seems more appropriate in this case.

>> No.2328590

It's been done to bits, countless essays and articles have been written about it. It's had it's significance in the art world and now it's almost a hundred years old. So why are we talking about it today on ic?

>> No.2328892

>>2328590
because /ic/ is 100 years behind the art world

>> No.2328897

>>2328892

/ic/ isn't even part of the art world.

>> No.2328970

I don't get this thread. It must be about conceptual art.

>> No.2329609

>>2326951
its shit, but the point is that people think this shit is artistic, going so far as to put it in art exhibits, so therefore its successful in conveying its message

>> No.2330029

I don't understand dadaism.

>> No.2330033
File: 15 KB, 404x363, shrug (2).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've seen it live, it was sitting right next to a casting of The Thinker. I didn't know either of them were in there, so I was kinda overwhelmed. My friends laughed at how worked up I got over a urinal

>> No.2330034

>>2326951
he ruined a perfectly good toilet, that's what he did

>> No.2330064

It was really the first shot fired in what would be the modern art as a cohesive movement in the 20th century. In a lot of ways we are still reconciling with Duchamp, today. How we chose to define art and how to advance it is probably still the greatest challenge the visual arts have in the early 21st century.

>> No.2330066

>>2330034
It probably got reused as a urinal. The original has long since been lost.

>> No.2330070

>>2330029
There are entire books on this, it's a lot to study. Basically it's a response to WWI. Dada in Zurich was formed by artists fleeing the chaos for the safety of Switzerland. The artists believed that WWI was madness fought by countries who prided themselves on their enlightenment and logical attitudes, so they criticized the state of society by launching an attack against pure reason.

Non-sense poetry was big in the Zurich movement, but I think one in particular is poignant. It was a poem read by three men, simultaneously, in English, French and German (the three main powers of the war). The result was a war of words- a cacophony where no one could be understood.

Dada took other forms in other cities. In Berlin, the artists were much closer to the carnage of battle, and were often veterans themselves. Therefore, Berlin Dada often focused on themes like the machinery of war, tanks and planes as well as the cyborg- war veterans who were reconstructed with fake legs, jaws, and hearing devices due to their injuries. It also took on political tones critical of the Weimar Republic.

Pretty interesting if you dig into it.

>> No.2330072

>>2330064
modern art began in the 1860s, this was just the beginning of conceptual art. and modern art has never been a cohesive moment, just a broad era of art.

>> No.2330081

This is the equivalent of IIII LOOOOVE YOUUUU JESSUUUUUS CHRIIIIST in /mu/

>> No.2330290

>>2330070
Then all of that got lost in the mix when try hard proto-hipsters got their hands on the term. Dada is not defined the way they you just defined it. Now it's just garbage art with a whole lot of spin.

>> No.2330670

>>2330290
>Dada is not defined the way they you just defined it
It is though. Depends on if you're asking an art historian or some schmuck on the street.

I agree that the popular conception of the term is associated with the New York school of Dada, which was pretty far removed from the effects of the war and tended toward inanity for the sake of inanity. But there's so much more to the movement than that both before (zurich berlin etc) and after (as dada became surrealism)

>> No.2330818

>these plebs/ameridumbs who don't get what the pic means
Dadaism.
>world dived in shit
>wars everywhere
>people used to give too much shits to art instead of to family men dying in the battle field
>some dudes make fun of art
>everyone is buttmad for it
>they start to show that people get butthurt because 'muh art' but won't care for the soldiers and killed innocents
The art was a copy of Monalisa with a mustache if I'm not mistaken. This pic is part of this artistical protest.

>> No.2333326

>>2326951
kill

>> No.2333332

>>2333326
your

>> No.2333627

>>2326951
its funny no one really gets a backstory behind this so here it is. This guy duchamp gets invited into some big show in new york that allowed EVERYONE who paid the fee to show their work for some publicity even for lesser known artists. He only sees big names including himself so he pays the fee under an alias R. Mutt and sends in this shit. Of course they dont take it and he busts that scam show real quick. So its great people think its shit cause it was supposed to be. Whats amazing are the people who think its supposed to be an art piece. it was merely bait

>> No.2333668

>>2326951
It's unintentionally good, because it exemplifies what modern and contemporary art has become. It's just a hundred years worth of waste that should be flushed down a urinal.

>> No.2333691

>>2326951

1/3

It is a way of people who envy Michelangelo, Da Vinci, Rembrandt, and other great artists to say: “Anything can be art; I might not be able to do what you guys did, but it doesn’t matter, for anything can be art: see, this crap is art, and who can tell me that it isn’t? Anything is art. I am as worthy of respect as you guys. I am important, as important as you guys were. I don’t have patience and talent to achieve what you achieved, but that doesn’t matter, because I have ideas, I have shocking new ways of seeing the world. See, I am going to mock all of society with this new piece. I will mark the world as strongly as you guys did!”.

In short: it is the result of envy of mediocre and lazy people.

It was a bad joke that an entire generation of minds forced themselves to swallow. It is the climax and culmination were we arrived with the cult of the artist's figure. If on the past the artists were mere craftsmen, valued in the same way as masons and carpenters (lots of times they did not signed their works), something that was not good or right, and that eventually and gradually changed during the renascence, we must also acknowledge that the exaggeration of the figure of the artist that reached its climax in the XX century (the idolatry over the person of the artist, of his personality, of the way he guided himself in social events, or dressed, or lived his life) became repulsive

>> No.2333693

>>2333691

2/3

The perfect point of balance is this: the artist is a craftsman who must learn the techniques of his own office + the artist deserves respect for the creativity that he injects into his workmanship.

But in the moment that to be an artist all you need it saying “I am an artist”, and bark your opinions around, and produce any trash that, because you are "an artist" should be respected and seen as art, from that moment on everything is ridiculous. This complete inclusion, this acceptance of anyone and anything: this was a nightmare we still endure. The permission of people with low intelligence and low talent to also play on the game is a bad thing: there should not be a place for mediocrities in art; mediocrity cannot be accepted.

Take a torso of a classical statue and leave it in an alley or street: people who, as they pass by, will eventually see the thing, will stop to contemplate it, and perhaps will want to take him away, to their homes; they will see that there is beauty in that, they will make plans for this object, for it gives them pleasure.

>> No.2333697

>>2333693

3/3

Throw the Duchamp’s urinal on the street and what people will see is simply garbage. Throw most of the works of artists who followed Duchamp’s credo on the street and all everyone will see is garbage. If you do not have the figure of the "artist" behind his "work", barking and howling his “philosophy” and defending his “value” with tooth and claw no one will give a damn about his "art."

Much of "modern art" is a game in which lazy people try to deceive themselves, pretending to be artists, while their friends and colleagues close their eyes and take part in the practical joke.
Modern art is the permission of lazy and untalented people to think themselves artists. But time will correct this obvious mistake. The ateliers are already starting to flourish, and in a few years we will have a lot of great artists again.

>> No.2333743

>>2333627
it's not just that. he was raising the question "what is art?" with the piece, since the show (that he was on the board of) said they'd accept ANY art. they didn't include Fountain in the show, and Duchamp resigned in protest.

The idea here is that art is not the creation of the object, but the concept, the artist's decisions. If an artist decided something he found on the street was art, and signed it and put it in a gallery, then it's art.

>> No.2333747

>>2333691
>>2333693
>>2333697
too long, did not read

>> No.2333775

>>2326951
A "masterpiece" done by a shartist which has no objective standard of beauty to be measured against.

>> No.2333781

>>2333747

exactly my point: lazy people = poor minds and poor art

>> No.2333810

>>2333781
Duchamp was already an accomplished painter by the time he submitted "Fountain", working in a more Cubist style, and has a lot of visually interesting Dada work besides. His readymades are pretty interesting on a purely conceptual level, if you allow yourself to actually consider them. And then he had a successful career as a chess master after all of that. He's influenced many artists, including Robert Rauschenberg and Jasper Johns.

Tell me more about "lazy"- what have you done lately?

>> No.2333812

>>2333691
>renascence
are you retarded?

>> No.2333964

>>2333810

Published a verse-drama (a comedy, in blank verse, prose and rhymed verse) with 26. Currently finishing a Tragedy (also mostly in blank verse and prose): it will probably be ready by march, 2016.

After the Tragedy I have projects for 2 more comedies. One of them is more popular in style, the other one a refined romantic comedy. I also have a lot of stored plots that I wish to use for poetic drama.

In between I plan to publish a book for children, with texts and illustrations. I have the story already written, just need to polish the material. I would like to illustrate myself, but my drawing is still extremely mediocre, so I need to keep practicing and have patience. I am taking drawing classes and practicing at home every single day.

I am 28 years old by now: it took me a long time to master the dramatic verse. More than 15 years of work. I needed to squeeze my writing hours between a routine of University courses and office work, but I am now free from University (got my degree), so I now have a lot of free time to write.

English is not my first language, so I dont have material to offer to you guys.

As for Duchamp, i'm sorry for him, but he is mostly an excuse for lazy and incapable people to feel they have something to offer. He was a bad influence, and yet he was just one of them: he was a product of a dark age in visual arts.

>> No.2334036

>>2333964
fuck off to /lit/ mate
no one cares about your shitty poetry, much less your plans to totally do stuff in the future probably.