[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 1.47 MB, 2336x2997, storyboard.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2240187 No.2240187 [Reply] [Original]

I am trying to make a comic. Am I total shit at this? Is this even remotely passable?

>> No.2240200

>>2240187
Where the fuck are the panels ?

ffs don't do two times the exact same view (top "panels", change it, do something.

And learn to scan. If your scanner is shit, learn to edit it so it doesn't look like your scanner is shit.

That's just apart from head construction and whatever other fundamental you didn't give any shits about yet.

>> No.2240209

>>2240187
Depends. Hows teh story?

>> No.2240210

I should have clarified, this isnt supposed to be the actual layout, I just took a bunch of pictures with my phone using a scanner app, and compiled it all into one image. So the drawings are shit then you are saying? I dont really know any fundamentals

>> No.2240215

>>2240209
The story is actually pretty good. I am pretty confident about this. But I don't know how good the storytelling is from what is demonstrated here

>> No.2240222

>>2240210
Learn the fundamentals, then.

We do have a sticky, ya know.

>> No.2240230
File: 1004 KB, 913x1612, skull.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2240222
Yeah I know, I need to learn them, but I mean as a starting off point is this any good? I am pretty good at copying, but I have a hard time drawing from my head. Here is something I drew looking at a reference...but it is worthless, it is just copying

>> No.2240244

Looks good for a starter.
Now learn the fundamentals and you'll be fant4stic.

>> No.2240269

>>2240244
So should I just learn how to draw faces using loomis? I feel like my art style is very different from his. How do I preserve my way of doing things while still learning fundamentals

>> No.2240311

>>2240187
I cringed at that orochimaru/hellsing bullshit you drew.

>> No.2240324

>>2240187
It's off to a pretty good start I think, but it might help if you had some guidance about constructing a comic. If you can, I'd recommend picking up Understanding Comics and Making Comics both by Scott McCloud. The books explain comics in a comic format so it's really easy to picture what he's talking about. You'd benefit from some info about interesting panel compositions and using gesture for visual storytelling. As far as the drafting of the drawings, as long as people can tell what they're looking at you can tell the story, it's up to you to decide what level of polish you want.

>> No.2240398

>>2240269

Unless you really try for 100% accuracy, your own natural style will likely bleed through anything you do.
Moving through different instructors and their methods rather than getting married to just one is also a good way to filter the information through your own judgement.

>> No.2240408

>>2240269
dont worry about preserving your style, it isnt well-developed enough yet to be unique or interesting yet anyway

>> No.2240503

Op, to understand comics as a medium you need to read them, study them, learn the basic structure of the comic book narrative.

You can't just worry about drawing well because that's not the only thing that makes a comic.

>> No.2240523

>>2240187
It's alright.

If you're the only reader.

>> No.2240583

>>2240215
You're off to a bad start then. Being insecure and critical of your own shit is fundamental if you want to improve.
If you can't find flaws on a mediocre work, I don't think you'll go too far or improve as much as you think.

>> No.2240658

OP, just draw the damn thing.

It may not look good, but just by drawing it you'll keep improving.

Don't worry about being good enough, otherwise you'll just end up locking yourself up in a monastery doing lifestudies all day until you're 60 and you won't have any finished comics.

You can always redraw it a few months down the line if you keep improving. Just give it an honest effort.

>> No.2240678

>>2240269
If you dislike Loomis, you'll probably enjoy Hogarth's or Vilppu's style. Look them up. Hogarth in particular was a comics guy.

>> No.2240693

Comics are an art in themselves comprised of storytellings, drawing and comic whatever knowledge.

Every artist out there tries to make a comic and it usually ends up the same
>cool idea for edgy magnum opus 1000+ issue comic
>2 pages in
>dropped
Everytime

If you want to do comics you've gotta first learn how to write stories that are solid. That'll take as much time as it will to learn how to draw so you should do it whilst you're learning to draw

Then you gotta learn how to make comics, that is like like how to do all the layouts and timing and shot angles, all that.

And then you've also obviously got to be able to draw well so you can make the panels you have in your head.

A good start is to make short comics like 1-2 pages long, maybe about a short message, joke or whatever. And then short stories that don't have much complexity.

You should start working on your big game after you've been doing comics for atleast 3-5 years, that way you're not likely to drop it and feel bad that it was a shitty idea

>> No.2240700

>>2240693
I'm a beginner in art in general, just finally getting the feeling of proper gestures, JUST A FEELING, and I know like everything, the sooner you start practicing, and the more you start practicing, the better you get.
I'm wondering if to get to be able to convert stories into comics, I should practice making thumbnails/roughdrafts of classic fairytales, just so I can see what I'm super dumb about when it comes to it, and then research that while also learning how to draw a fucking person.
I'm curious on whether you'd think it be better to draw a person in "good enough" detail (anatomy is solid, but not vilppu), and then start trying comics, or if I can whip out Grimm's fairy tales, and do some quick sketches.

>> No.2240751

go for it. but you should try learn to draw and study comics

>> No.2240765

>>2240700
You have think 15 pages at a time. If you can't tell the story in that, a part of it anyway, you're fucked.

>> No.2240770
File: 456 KB, 804x876, 1443741578830.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2240187
It was almost passable until Helsing showed up.