[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 35 KB, 749x946, Question_mark.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2211554 No.2211554 [Reply] [Original]

OLD THREAD

>>2203667

>> No.2211573

>>2210691
even a retard can be taught to draw and render like a master, most of what makes the art, be it composition or color choices... those are a bit harder to learn but you get it in time.

>>2210769
do not render till you hit the first plateau and you dont see the flaws in your own work, thats when you learn to render, this way you dont piss hours away polishing turds and when you are unable to gain skill, you have a new aspect to work on till your ability to see flaws catches up

>>2210742
stick with manga studio, for art where you start from scratch and work up its better.

>>2210802
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Random
do that till you find a topic ti draw, people tend to be overwhelmed when you tell them you can do anything and tend to thrive in restrictions.

>>2210951
get mildly competent at drawing realism, than find out what abstractions look best to you.
everyone who is worth praising in manga/doujin has strong foundations and it wouldn't shock me if they could proficiently draw realism.

>>2210954
see above.

>>2211161
going to need to explain what a graphite pen is as i can think of a few different things this could be.

>>2211274
learn traditional, than learn how to use that knowledge in digital.

>>2211347
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt-_q7RqmLE
not the same pen but looks like the way to fill is the same.

>> No.2211603

>>2211573
What do you define as 'render'?

>> No.2211606

Is it impossible go to Japan and be an illustrator? And how big is the chance to make some money to life there?

>> No.2211623

What are some good ways or containers to store traditional work like pencil sketches or inked pieces?

>> No.2211627

>>2211606
Why is everyone focused on japan illustration? It's a pretty place and all but there are other places that are similar that you can get more $$$. Anyways. Do you want to be an illustrator or a cartoonist/animator or something else? It all really depends on what youre drawing and where. For a non-japanese person (even if you are asian, as my vietnamese grandmother visited and was made fun of) to become an animator for a large company is near impossible, as it is near impossible for Japanese people themselves. The competition for that job is incredible and the workers are overworked and very stressed. Same with manga artists. However, if you want to do patreon and pixiv and maybe a few illustrations for companies (loish is an artist who has a book coming out and her art was on wacoms newest tablet box) then you have a better chance. Plus it will likely be less stressful. You can always become an animator somewhere else, or do commisions on the internet or in the us or singapore or wherever you want to visit or live

>> No.2211629

>>2211606
Don't bother unless you are fluent in reading and speaking japanese.

>> No.2211634
File: 61 KB, 1036x675, 1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

There's something wrong either with me or my brush. How to combat it? I mean, look! When two strokes collide, they produce awful stuff.
Is it unavoidable in photoshop?

>> No.2211636

>>2211603
anything beyond contour and mapping the shadows would be rendering at this point to simplify things, someone else can post an example of what im talking about and if they dont by the time i wake up ill do it myself.

>>2211606
unless you are asian yourself, yes, its impossible, japan is very xenophobic.

>>2211623
cardboard boxes or plastic boxes, but im thinking for beginners so they can store their pieces and look back.

if you want more i'm not a beginner and my shit is worth saving, acid free plastics, or even when do that i would line the thing with some form of cloth just in case, and put something like tracing paper in between each piece.

if what you made is god's gift to art, than possibly acid free cardboard and put your shit inside it.

granted, me personally i never cared to much and my "good" shit is all bent and some amount of water damage.

>>2211634
you dont have opacity and flow maxed... thats how photoshop does it when you dont.

>> No.2211637

>>2211636
Yes it's pressure perhaps.
So is it better to just 100% opacity and flow to get clear tone? At least for me. I'm beginnerfag in that affairs.

>> No.2211647

Are there any special tips for drawing surfaces lines or is it literally just grinding until you feel it?

Because I went back to this basic excercise and I'm having quite a lot of trouble with it.

>> No.2211702

>>2211637
Different anon. I leave opacity and flow at 100% pretty much always. Assuming you have pressure set to control opacity, flow or both, you'd have to press hard to get that maximum opacity pigment down. To help with this, you can go to your wacom preferences and adjust how hard you need to press to register as max or high pressure.

>> No.2211704

>>2211647
You could always get a model IRL and study it like there's no tomorrow. You could grab a cheap plastic ball, a cube, a cone, and whatever basic forms you need, then use a marker or rubber bands to make your surface lines. You may find it helpful to draw through the form.

>> No.2211707
File: 13 KB, 300x300, 414+IhQyV0L._SY300_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2211704
You just reminded me I used to have two of (pic related) in a sock so I could understand twisting forms. I should find it.

>> No.2211851

Does painting help you understand form better? Im noticing that im paying attention 3d details a ton more by trying to copy photos.

I kind of wish I started painting sooner.

>> No.2211854

How vivid must be mental image when im starting to draw a piece? Will i never get gud untill ill be able to visualize picture in smallest details, with shades and folds of drapery? It looks pretty terrifying

>> No.2211864

>>2211854
you've at least got to have a solid idea of what kind of angle/pose you want your objects to be in.
a lotta beginner mistakes can be simply chalked up to drawing one part at one angle/perspective, and then drawing something else in a different one.

you may not know exactly what it'll look like when you start drawing, but having at least a grasp on those things will keep the image consistent.

>> No.2211865

>>2211851
It can since it might steer you away from thinking in terms of outlines. Deliberate practice focusing on 3D forms in any medium should improve your understanding of forms.

If you haven't already, I'd given sculpting a try as well. That too focuses you to think in 3D, and in the end you might end up with a nice reference for some still life paintings.

>> No.2211869

>>2211854
>How vivid must be mental image when im starting to draw a piece?
Not very. Once you have stuff on the paper you should have a clearer picture. Thumbnails and several quick sketches are a nice way to get your thoughts onto paper as soon as possible. Once they're tangible you can actually evaluate them compared to some idealized haze of an image.

>Will i never get gud untill ill be able to visualize picture in smallest details, with shades and folds of drapery? It looks pretty terrifying
I doubt very many people can actually do this. That said with experience your vague impression of the image will have more content before you lay your first marks. Focus on getting a ton of drawing under your belt, and work on building up your visual library and your ability to deconstruct complex forms and shapes into simpler ones that are easy to manage and manipulate.

>> No.2211892

>>2211865
>thinking outlines
Yes, I thought i got rid of this problem after learning perspective and watching vilppu. But Painting exercises my mind. Might pick up sculpting too, thanks.

>> No.2211998

Is it worth reading through Keys to Drawing or should I just do the exercises?

>> No.2212069

How do you clean a fountain pen? And thank you everyone who has answered my questions

>> No.2212109

With the Intuos Pro tablets, how accurate are the touch gestures? Do you get loads of unintentional strokes and find it generally gets in the way rather than helping? All I can imagine is your palm/little finger constantly causing accidental things.

>> No.2212117
File: 1.46 MB, 1564x899, PM CSS.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is stupid /v/ bullshit but I'd like to know, what makes the design of this CSS "bad?"

Stupid question, I know, but please refrain from ">>>/v/" and other similar comments.

>> No.2212128

>>2212117

>>>/gd/

>> No.2212135

>>2211554
I have a question that is quite important to me.

I know that some people say that you should think of bodies in shapes first and that you should lay those shapes down to get a feel of the pose or head, animal, whatever. Now I prefer, or rather approach drawing more with contour in mind, this does not mean that I see a photo and copy the lines but instead follow the general flow, making marks and getting a nice basis for the rest of my drawing (I usually do this with one main contour, mostly the backside and then go onto the smaller enclosed spaces.

I read that solomon j solomon says that drawing contour is essential to encapsulate a pose or gesture and that those quick guide lines only make it harder later because you need to reset them.

Now my question is, should I force myself to learn to see in shapes a little more too? Like resizing or zooming into a photo after the inital phase, or should I try to build a pose with the underlying structure as my main tool? I know quite a lot about anatomy, but when I draw I tend to use it as a supporting tool, comparing my knowledge of anatomy to what I show on my paper and sometimes I build figures from the subcutaneous bones and take those landmarks to start off with ripcage pelvis head and the lot.

this got long, but I would appreciate an answer

>> No.2212152

Beginner here. How long should Fun With a Pencil take? I don't want to rush it.

>> No.2212160

>>2212117
LOL GO BACK TO >>>/v/ XDDDDDD

>> No.2212182

How do you concentrate better/longer? I am afraid my powers of concentration have suffered from my bad habits.
Now i find myself constantly lifting my pencil and compulsively over critiquing when i should really be sketching or shading and soon i'll change my attention to something else entirely, before realizing my mistake, going back, and repeating the cycle.

>> No.2212194

>>2212182
Work in bursts with scheduled breaks. Something like the Pomodoro technique should work fine, where you work for ~25min, take a 5 min break, work for 25min, etc. Every 4th work chunk merits a 15min break.

What you should be doing is scheduling your drawing time, and starting small. Aim for 30 min a day, or however long you can stay on task. Do that for a week or two, then slowly ramp that up to 45min a day. Do that for a week or two, then another small ramp up. Set small goals that you can achieve, and slowly increase those goals instead of overreaching and burning out immediately. Recognize your current limits.

You may also find it helpful to set aside a dedicated work area that's free from distractions. If you don't have the room for a dedicated drawing space, you could always get a desk lamp that you turn on ONLY when you're working, and you turn off whenever you find yourself not working. Eventually you condition yourself so that once it's time to draw, you turn on that lamp and go to town.

It may also be necessary to block out distractions by force. This means unplugging the internet and turning off the phone and tv.

Being able to focus and concentrate stems from discipline. The tips above are aimed at improving that. Once it becomes a habit, then you're golden.

>> No.2212199

>>2212135
if your art hasn't suffered from this, then don't worry about it. if your anatomy is shitty and off base, then maybe that's your problem.

it's hard to say without looking at some work first.

>> No.2212219

>>2212194
All good tips, thanks! things i've heard before, but didn't think "applied to me" . lol remember to keep your ego in check, anons

>> No.2212307

>>2211637
>>2211702
personally what i do is i use flow, so it works like an airbrush. opacity is a hard stop when it gets this saturated, flow is a softer stop that keeps adding till fully saturated.

>>2211647
>>2211704
>>2211707
ps1 and ps2 videogames that have a wireframe mode.

also, 3d models that are low poly with a wireframe modifier.

>>2211851
>>2211865
>>2211892
yes and no. i wouldnt say this is exclusive to painting though, i would say rendering in generally makes you focus on forms more

>>2212069
a solvent for the ink that doesn't hurt the pen materials... largely this can be done with water, but if it dries up you may need something harsher.

>>2212109
most people turn touch off as its more annoying than helpful.

>>2212135
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa_2rL1K1mg
there use to be a 16 minute video on vilppu channel where he did a full drawing and only one drawing instead of multiple examples, if you can find that its a better video than whats on prokos channel.

>> No.2212427

Any tips on figure/anatomy drawing from memory? Right now I'm looking at reference, going into another room and then drawing. Found out how good my copy+paste skills are and how crappy my imagination/anatomical knowledge is.

>> No.2212591

Why is it that only in the craft of art does it feel like everything is against you? Sorry, I'm letting some of the shame get to me again.

>> No.2212599

>>2211554
How do I get attention with the art I post? I don't think I'm god awful and have seen people worse than me get more praise and buzz. Does communication have a lot to do with it perhaps?

>> No.2212604

>>2212599
post a pic of something you practiced and ill tell you how to get attention.

>>2212427
know an idea human form, i suggest know it by cranium measurements, and than learn the major forms for anatomy and fuck the minor for now. once you can do this without missing shit, than start adding in minor forms.

once yo get a grasp of the idea human from measurements, placing anatomy will be easier, and once you know the major forms, the minor get easier to remember. if you try to learn everything at once, thats a large burden to put on yourself.

>>2212591
define what you mean by everything against you.

>> No.2212608

>>2212599
you've got to find an audience:
adding a metric fuckton of relevant tags to be more visible to the people that look thru them
drawing stuff that already has an established audience
drawing stuff that other people will like, based on the broad, generic interests of a community
not acting like an ass and being responsive and friendly to your audience

>> No.2212611

>>2212608
I would say that's pretty much what I'm doing at the moment, adding lots of tags and being responsive. (To the minuscule amount of response in general.) I'm doing plenty of fan art of popular things. I've been active for about 7 months now, does it just take time?

>> No.2212630
File: 139 KB, 1160x475, asdfasfasfdads.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does a change in saturation also change value? I used to think only shifting color up or down changes the value but I was experimenting with converting to grey scale and when I dont go up and down and just go left decreasing the saturation and then convert it to greyscale it gets lighter. Sorry for the stupid question...

>> No.2212633
File: 121 KB, 1049x463, sdfasdfasdfasdfasd.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2212630
also when I choose both blue and yellow, and both are at the exact same spot at the top right and then convert it to greyscale the values are different

>> No.2212639
File: 49 KB, 910x572, adsfsdfsdaf.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2212633
im so confused, this happens when I only change the actually colors(hue?), theyre in the same spot

>> No.2212646
File: 67 KB, 803x497, asdfasdfasdfasdf.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2212639
ok I think I get it now, excuse my autism

>> No.2212662

>>2212646

Can you explain it for me? I always assumed the same as you did... So a pure primary red or blue are always darker than a purple valuewise?

>> No.2212668

>>2212639
>>2212662
Not that anon, but I think what you are seeing is just additive color. RGB will have darker values than the 'purple' made from adding R and B together.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Additive_color

>> No.2212682

>>2212662
>>2212646
ok this is me, Im a beginner and probably wrong but what I was seeing was that lowering the saturation or moving the color in that box only left without changing the hue or going down at all makes the color lighter, which I think is more obvious when you look at a really bright cyan color and you just move the slider to the left it gets lighter which I guess is how you would paint something icy? this is really only noticeable when you desaturate a really light value

the other thing is only changing the hue and nothing else, I guess an example is cyan looks lighter in value than a regular blue

>> No.2212685

>>2212668
is probably right

>> No.2212688
File: 224 KB, 1882x318, asfdasfasdf.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2212682
found this
http://www.uwgb.edu/heuerc/2d/colorterms.html

>> No.2212712

I found some color pencils hidden in a box, but I find hard to put color on paper. It seems like the lead is made on plastic or something hard.
It's my fault I can't color or are the pencils fault?

>> No.2212721

starting community college soon. What are some art courses I should look at for to get better at the basics?
I know figure drawing is a must, but what else should there be?

I know that you dont need to go to school to get better at art, but I learn better in a class environment plus I told my parents I'd at least complete community college

Things I wanna learn

The Basics
how to do studies
figure drawing
still life drawing.

these are things I'm not very good at doing at home since I get distracted too often, which is why I work better in a class setting.

Thanks for looking at this question!

>> No.2212742

What kind of paper is good for pencils? I'm currently using some watercolor paper I had lying around for some reason, but drawings always look kinda dirty and blurred when I'm done shading. How do I avoid this and are the issues related at all?

>> No.2212749

>>2212742

I love bristol board to use with graphite personally. I dunno man, different strokes for different folks, go to your art supply store and look at the different papers, you might prefer paper with a little more tooth, bristol is very smooth for example.

>> No.2212751

>>2212712
Depends what brand. If you're looking for new colored pencils, Prismacolor premier is very creamy and can make some pretty effects, but they are hard to control. Faber castell polychromos are easier to control and you can get many more colors out of a small range because there is paint mixed into the pencils.
Amazon gets you the 24 set of prismas for $18 and the 12 set of polychromos for $24-$35.
I personally much prefer the polychromos. I don't want to say that the primsacolors are bad, but I do not care for them at all and do not find them fun to draw with. Most other people like them very much, though.

>> No.2213057

Is it possible to be good at drawing, but bad at pointing out mistakes? Whenever I see someone's art piece, I dont notice any mistakes till /ic/ tears it apart. Sometimes, I notice that something does not look right, but I can't pinpoint the exact error. Only been drawing for a year though so not close to "gud", but still, after studying anatomy, perspective and proportion, Id expect to see some results.

More simple question, how long did it take /ic/ to start to point out all the mistakes in their hentai; making it unfappable?

>> No.2213099

>>2213057
Post your work

>> No.2213112

>>2212721
Don't do it! It's really pretty useless as far as Art Education is concerned. Going to an Atelier or Workshop is the better choice. I would take maybe some writing classes but college for art is almost always useless. Especially community college. You're not going to be networking with the next Jaime Jones at your community college most likely.

>> No.2213116

>>2213112
well, lemme explain myself better. I 100% understand that you dont need art education to get anywhere in this career.

But I'm going here in the intent of having some figure drawing classes and doing just the basic stuff. I'm not going with a goal to getting a degree.

idk if that makes sense. I'm just trying to get a better grasp at the basics. I'm not too good motivating myself in my own place, but I'm better at learning and concentrating in a class environment

I like having 1:1 with a teacher and like minded people.

and in my area, I dont have a figure drawing workshop thats within driving distance.

but what is Atelier?

>> No.2213124
File: 151 KB, 754x614, attempt.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2213099
heres the best I could pull off in 10 mins. Haha I know its shit, im a beginner. But i just want my questions answered. First one is reference i memorized, so the 2nd I drew is completely from memory.

I have not made any finished works yet, and I only started coloring recently so im not used to it.

>> No.2213149

>>2213116
A workshop basically. Well I'd take the figure drawing course I suppose. You're kind of fucked as far as the no workshops in driving distance. But what I'd recommend is finding a group online instead. You can find amazingly proficient students if not professionals in these groups sometimes and have all the 1:1 you want. The fact of that matter is at a Community college you might learn a few things but you'll probably be listening to how the teachers and students don't need technical skill to do fine art as they make shitty sculptures.

>> No.2213151

>>2213149
>>2213116
you probably do need some kind of art education the point is you can find it online and even better for free.

>> No.2213154

>>2213124
You're nowhere near being able to critique others in my opinion. Your eye will improve at a steady if not laggy pace. Just keep working and don't worry about this.

>> No.2213159

>>2213124
I'm also a beginner, but I would recommend to you to try to make your lines uniform. And being that the form and proportions are also fucked up I would recommend to start from the basics.
Seriously. Maybe you think you are great and don't need to do all that basic stuff to be good at drawing, but if you do from zero and well you will not regret the choice.
Pointing errors in things is an observation's sub-skill, so you need to learn to see. Sound dumb, but I was this way some time ago. And learning to see changes the way you see the world (this is another dumb affirmation).

>> No.2213166
File: 162 KB, 1288x1500, day-5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2213149
I'm not going for sculptures. Originally I was just looking for a place I could get better at doing gesture drawings and figure drawing. (with side help from Glenn V.) but then I thought about it more and figured, I'm not too great at drawing from life, so there are some life drawing classes in art 101. with charcoal and the vases and stuff. I thought why waste the opportunity to learn there as well?

I'm just no good at learning by myself, I've had since march to self teach myself, but Im going at a slow pace because I'm not good at forcing myself to do work in my own environment. Heck im not even done with "Fun With Pencil"

im not 100% expecting to learn much there, i just need to learn how to do things,

>>2213151
Right, I know I can find it for free, but I'm not a good self learning. I've been trying to teach myself this past summer but it hasnt been going too well. I get lost and confused. I dont know where to go or how to set up goals.

I work better in a class environment because I get a syllabus, i know the goals and I know what to work on
I'm not very good at explaining myself guys, so if anything seem confusing or stupid, lemme know and I'll continue to explain until we can come to an understanding, here is some of my work. I really need to know the basics.

>> No.2213171

>>2213124
>>2213154
>>2213159
I'll add to what anons said, and say that you should pay attention to the critique that other people receive - especially those around your skill level, those a little better and those a little worse. Chances are you're making the same or similar errors, and seeing critique between two third parties can give you some objectivity.

Try to only pay attention to what seems like "good critique" to you - as in there's substance and you can somewhat grasp the logic. Don't take anything said as dogma, as a lot of times there's a lot of gray areas that you'll subconsciously turn into a binary divide. Pay attention to the things that you see brought up a lot and to things that really click with your current mindset.

In boards other than this one, you could also use the critiquer's body of work to gauge the critique if there's any confusion. That of course won't work here, but it's something to keep in mind for other places you go.

By paying close attention to critique that others receive, you could actually learn a lot that you can apply towards your own work and skill development. In time you can recognize familiar problems, and chime in with what you've learned if you want to critique others. If anything you say might be completely off base, someone else will likely point out why you might be wrong, and that can be a learning experience too.

>> No.2213176

>>2213166
Read a book on discipline or burn your cash if you really have no will.

>> No.2213189

>>2213149
>>2213176
okay, then I'll ask if you know of how to find a group online? or what an Atelier is? I'm willing to work with you here. I'm open to any advice you have to give anon

>> No.2213197

>>2213189
An atelier is a french name for basically a workshop like I said. I recommend going to the sticky dontcha know it and finding the art forums listed at the bottom there and also using your google fu to find some groups is good too. Google hangouts with artists is great! If you're confused about what to work on and what to improve, the sticky will also tell you that.

>> No.2213209
File: 1.83 MB, 1600x1200, b0fe2138afd0a9fde4ab328d8c9800fd.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2213154
>>2213159
Ah, okay, Ill reflect off of this in a year. Proportion Is the thing I least studied. No offense, but im a bit discourage hearing going back to basics, since ive already browsed through KTD, Perspective Made Easy, and a bunch of other figure drawing books. I just dont get why im not better than I am, and all I can do is just re-read.

>>2213171
Yeah, I like reading /ic/ critiques on the side, hopefully it affects my work. The only other art site i know for critque is just /ic/ and conceptart. I like critiques that are specific, go into detail, and are spoon feeding.

But I still want to know, how long,or what level of skill, does it take to make hentai unfappable? Its like some meme on /ic/. Seriously, this pic is still fappable to me. This is my art goal, to figure out why so many people from /ic/ dont like hentai.

>> No.2213214

>>2213209
Oh yeah, what does it mean to make lines more uniform. Ive tried goggle.

>> No.2213236

>>2213209
The fundamentals never end and you don't just read loomis or perspective made easy and you're an expert or anything. In fact it's quite the opposite. These are tools you need to load sketchbooks and sketchbooks with studies using the resources that are these books. Once you've mastered the fundamentals you'll know it but it'll take a few years bud.

>> No.2213242

Where do I find exercises on drawing basic shapes? I need to train perspective, cause I can't even draw a fucking cube at the angle I want.

>> No.2213256

>>2213209
you need to understand wht do you want actually. do you want to draw the best hentai tits in your dreams? or you are happy drawing generic garbage. If the latter, then download comipo, make a pose and attach a pussy with photoshop. That's the easy way. but if it's the former there arent shorcuts. you need to grind gesture and proportions and be skilled with your drawing medium. And don't get me wrong. Many people here likes hentai, but most people understand the way to learn to draw good hentai chicks is learning the real life style.

>> No.2213276

>>2213236
>>2213256
Years of practice. Years of loomis! Fine Ill re read for years. Whats my goal, good thing you asked. I have finally got an idea of it:

Although I have a business job backup plan, I want to capitalize on my drawing, doing commissions for things like hentai! But I want my own distinctive style too, and do some fun stuff on the side. My inspiration is Mark, from Marks drawing tutorials. It only took him only 10 years to get where hes at, and started in his 20s. Hes still good looking despite being artist in his 30s, though it might because hes asian. He was able to do commissions for a month, though I dont think he drew porn. And in the end, he was like, fuck drawing, i only wanted to be game developer.

>> No.2213278
File: 1.36 MB, 773x1024, i_need_food_by_le_mec-d55wjlr.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2213276
oh, and heres one of his drawings

>> No.2213294
File: 375 KB, 1536x2048, IMG_20150908_145827.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How can I improve my figure drawing?.

>> No.2213569

From times to times I see some people against drawing still life from photos. I'm only a noob and don't know any better: I tend to have the bad habit to move a lot while doing life drawings so I generally avoid it and prefer to study from photos. Am I doing wrong? Also, is there any advantage in doing plein air drawing landscapes compared to photos?

>> No.2213630

>>2213214
where you can draw lines that match up without looking crooked or different. Like a fence.

>> No.2213679

>>2213294
form and perspective
literally just drawing boxes and spheres in perspective is a very worthwhile way to learn perspective.

>> No.2213684

>>2213294
This actually seems pretty good. You could progress now with stuff like shading and hard+cleaner lines. Or if this is a copy+paste you can try drawing from memory.

>> No.2213702

I'm a tad frustrated. So far I've avoided doing any lengthy reading when it comes to art books. I really hate reading not because I'm bad at it, but because I feel that I could be spending time actually drawing than spending on walls of text.

I guess my question is how much can I actually get away with not reading these artbooks people recommend and just drawing? I don't have issues with video tutorials because seeing is better than being told to me.

>> No.2213704

>>2213569
I do both. when you move, just take a look at your paper and decide how it would look correctly, or try to move back into the right place. I usually do photos if I am not going anywhere and I use outdoors if there's someplace i'm going.

>> No.2213720

I'm in typography and i finished a project in Illustrator and my teacher got mad saying we were to work in indesign and told me to redo it. is this just adobe shilling or is there a reason i should be working in indesign?

What's a good paper company to contact about quick and cheap prints? teacher also doesnt want our finished product to be printed on "normal" paper from our service bureau (card stock, gloss, ect.) .

>> No.2213721

>>2213720
>my teacher got mad

Are you an adult? Why didn't you just ask him/her the differences? Perhaps he or she is just concerned that if you find a job, your employee will expect you to use a certain program.

Quit being such a betafag and ask questions, even if it's your fellow students.

>> No.2213724

>>2213721
>employee

Employer.

>> No.2213731

>>2213721
i did and she just said that in the higher type classes we'd use it.I and a few other students asked for a quick crash course in indesign and she agreed but she didnt show up last class and the color prototypes are due tomorrow.

it's really hard not to make this some long post and whine about her methods.

>> No.2213732

>>2211636
>unless you are asian yourself, yes, its impossible, japan is very xenophobic.

I don't know about their drawing scene specifically, but Japan is generally very utilitarian when it comes to importing people to work. They don't like permanent immigrants, but they're a-ok with taking people in for a few years to perform a job.
If you're good at what you do, it's not impossible to get hired for work in Japan. That said, I don't think they have a shortage of illustrators, so it probably wouldn't be easy.

>> No.2213734
File: 173 KB, 1020x695, colourvalueboard.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2212662

This might help too.

>> No.2213773

>>2213702
Nope. Bite down and read, faggot. Watching videos is good too, so you should do both. Any source of information and knowledge will help.

>> No.2214059

I've just started scott's how to draw and im confused on the view point i.e. the 90 degree and 60 degree view point,what are their application in drawing? I don't really understand the concept either ,can someone explain it to me?thanks!

>> No.2214065

Dip pens:
Saji nib vs. G nib
What are the differences?
Which is easier to write with?
Which makes more variety of lines?
Which makes cleaner lines?

Thank you in advance!

>> No.2214074
File: 634 KB, 1191x851, gutsvstroll.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I want to draw like Miura.

Tell me how to

>> No.2214077

>>2214074
You'll need to learn the fundamentals; if you want to git gud. Start with Vilppu and Loomis' Figure drawing book. Once you get a concept on the human body, jump into Hampton's anatomy book. Then Birdgeman if you're frisky

>> No.2214322

has anyone here bought cuberush's painting tutorials? are they worth paying $26 for?

>> No.2214324

>>2214074
Just draw randomly, when some of your drawings are good put them in a folder and publish. More or less like the monkeys writing Shitkespeare
If this isn't the Miura's method, then I can't explain why chapters are out every 6 monts with 19 pages.

>> No.2214330

>>2214324
Berserk is back montly now :^)

>> No.2214338

>>2214322
I feel like his free videos are very similar. It's not a waste of money, but for me it wasn't neseccisary

>> No.2214441
File: 99 KB, 640x478, Pose.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyone know is there's a specific name for this pose? Currently looking for references for a pin-up.

>> No.2214451

>>2214441
Laying on side

>> No.2214486

>>2214441
Searching for "reclining" should help

>> No.2214541

How do you get better at your line control?

>> No.2214580

How do I develop better visual storytelling?

>> No.2214603

>>2214580
Read Framed Ink for starters.

>> No.2214609

How the fuck do I get better at art?

>> No.2214614

>>2214609
Get off 4chan and practice art, dipshit.

>> No.2215137

What do you believe are the best sources to study when you want to Vilppu? I want to learn how to feel it.

>> No.2215156

>>2215137
You have to continuously draw people from life. That's really the way to do it. Also study old master drawings every now and then.

>> No.2215159

>>2214451
>>2214486
I'll give those a try, thanks.

>> No.2215206

How important are embedded color profiles in JPG images? Assuming I want to minimize the variations across as many color environments as possible. If I want my images to look the same (or as close to it) on all monitors, is an embedded color profile recommended?

What is a good color setting to work with in Photoshop? Is there a preferred or recommended one? Primarily for web. I know print is a different beast so I'll research that separately.

>> No.2215214

tips on configuring photoshop

what shortcuts should I be using? what's the best way to bind them? I got 2 buttons on pen + keyboard ( screw the tablet buttons )

I tried doing it on my own but photoshop says I can't remind zoom from ctrl+/-, so I'm pretty lost at this point.

>> No.2215260

>>2215214
http://www.ctrlpaint.com/videos/custom-keyboard-shortcuts
http://www.ctrlpaint.com/videos/keyboard-shortcut-layout-designer

I try to have all of my common commands on the left side of the keyboard so that I don't have to move my left hand when painting.

Some that I use are:
F - Brush Tool
D - Eraser
S - Smudge
R - Increase brush size
E - Decrease brush size
Ctrl+R - Zoom In
Ctrl+E - Zoom Out
F1 - Show/Hide current layer
F2 - Flip canvas horizontally

There are more, but you get the gist. Figure out what tools you use most often, and how you currently access them. Things that involve clicking on screen, going through menus or moving your keyboard hand are prime candidates for remapping, but you might have to move some other things around to accommodate. As long as it makes sense to you, you can get used to your own system in a couple of days

>> No.2215286

>>2215260

hey, thanks

I probably won't need that much considering aiming I'm more of a lineart person rather than painting

>> No.2215289
File: 225 KB, 491x368, ariels.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

is a redhead wearing the colour red always a bad idea in a character design? since people lose their shit about ariel all the time since she wears pink, but it doesn't look that bad to me.

>> No.2215318

>>2211554
What is the most efficient order of things to study when learning to draw?
I find that my problem is not lack of effort but lack of efficient effort. I just am lost at where to really "start";

Someone told me not to even bother with gestures until I know anatomy. Someone else told me not to draw from life when I don't understand perspective or balance. (Not implying they are wrong , I'm just confused)

So what do I do. How do I learn the right way?

>> No.2215328

Whenever I try to feel the pose the model get's angry with me. What am I doing wrong?

>> No.2215342

>>2215289
>is a redhead wearing the colour red always a bad idea in a character design?
Few things are ALWAYS a bad idea. Plus "red" can mean a LOT of different colors. I think it's silly to believe that red hair and red clothes will only give bad results.

In addition to the colors of red used, you can control the amount of red by changing hair lengths and styles, and by changing types of attire: you can have red clothes that are 100% a certain shade of red, or it might only be a red tanktop under a different colored jacket with different colored pants. Maybe the red in the design is reserved for the hair and the belt. There's an enormous number of combinations between types of red, and amounts of each. If anything incorporating similar colors in different places of the design can help pull it all together.

>since people lose their shit about ariel all the time since she wears pink
Who are these people? On what authority do they speak?

Here's the thing, a lot of people interpret things in art as hard and fast "rules", when in reality they're loose suggestions at best. For every rule out there, you can find many examples of the opposite working successfully. These so-called rules can be useful for people starting out, so it isn't just free-form experimentation with zero context to ground them. People tend to erroneously take these tips as absolutes.

Lastly, if that orange-haired ariel is supposed to be an improvement in order to avoid red-on-red, then I'd be very skeptical of what that person has to say about color and design.

>> No.2215343

>>2215328
You must feel using the force, not your hands Luke. Trust the force and it will guide you.

>> No.2215354

>>2215318
Learn basal skills first, and build from there.

Let's say you want to learn to draw people. To do that well you should probably be able to draw simpler forms first. To draw simpler forms well, you should probably be able to draw the basic forms (cube, sphere, cone, cylinder). To draw the basic forms well, you probably should know your perspective.

You can always try the more challenging task before you master the prerequisites, but often times when you get stuck that just means your understanding of the basics - the fundamentals - is lacking and that's what you should focus on.

I wouldn't worry too much about efficiency. Just do things in an order that works for you, and gets you to practice daily. You're constantly learning new things, even in the realm of the basics - don't let efficiency stop you from doing what you should be doing. Besides, there probably isn't a single proficient artist alive who looks back on their years of learning and thinks "Wow, I sure did learn everything as efficiently and intelligently as possible. There were no speedbumps, detours, or deadends at all."

tldr; Don't worry about it. If and when you get stuck, identify the most basal skill that's related to your problem, address that, then work up from there.

>> No.2215397
File: 85 KB, 1920x1080, lilies.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've been on and off drawing regularly and whenever I actually sit down to actually draw, I lose my nerve or my lay-ins become messier than I want them to be.

Last time I posted something, I was advised to get accuracy down. Should I stick with still life or should I try to step up my game and practice doing portraits to improve faster?

Here's something I finished off Art Academy recently. Advice on what I should focus on or practice is greatly appreciated. (Took me about 3 hours which I feel is a little too long for a study like this)

>> No.2215421

>>2214059
anyone?

>> No.2215466

>>2215397
Feel free to try portraits whenever you want - just be sure not to expect fantastic results, especially if you have issues with accuracy. We as humans are programmed to recognize people very well. This means that if your drawing is off by 5%, the results might be jarringly bad compared to if your drawing of a chair or a panda was 5% off.

If you want to step your game up, keep doing still lifes but grab objects with more complex forms and surfaces than you've worked with previously. Once you feel ready for portraits, try to do as many as you can from life. This means grabbing a mirror and painting self portraits, asking friends and family to sit still while reading or watching a movie, etc.

>> No.2215569

>>2215156
I think I may have worded my question incorrectly, sorry. I meant to ask what would be the best resources to learn from Vilppu.

I realize that drawing from life is important, and I plan to do so, but I also would like to study Vilppu's technique and method as well.

>> No.2215652

Does anyone here seriously use XYZ sectional drawing for tight drawings?
Fuck man, i know how to do it, but it seems so much quicker to draw a box then kind of feel it in that box.

>> No.2215668
File: 858 KB, 1916x1182, winter_wonder_lulu___wallpaper_by_snadde000-d6ym9i5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Will I be able to git gud if I only ever draw on a tablet? I can't risk leaving around physical evidence of the kind of stuff I practice drawing and yet at the same time I'm worried that only practicing with a tablet will hurt me in the long run.

>> No.2215677

>>2211554
Dubs decides what I draw?

>> No.2215685

>>2215677
Looks like you get to pick, anon

>> No.2215687

>>2215668
You can, but you'll probably be better or git guder faster if you have experience with many different media. Stimulates your problem solving skills vs relying exclusively on what you already know.

If you're worried about physical evidence, you could always shred it or burn it.

>> No.2215695

>>2215677
haha oh wow

>> No.2215712

>>2215677
Luck has faith in your own decision, anon.
Just go for it

>> No.2215821

What's the best guides for learning perspective?

>> No.2215825

>>2215821
I recommend How to Draw: Drawing and sketching objects and environments from your imagination by Scott Robertson and Thomas Bertling.

>> No.2215826

>>2215821
ctrl paint's premium ones are breddy good
and can be found on KAT

>> No.2215831

anyone know of a decent brand of pens for inking? mostly outlining and the like

>> No.2215849
File: 362 KB, 836x1100, dejah_thoris_san_diego_2010_by_terrydodson.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2215831
Probably those micron pens all those comic artists use.

>> No.2215862

>>2215831
Like >>2215849 said; Sakura Micron. They're relatively cheap and will last a while. Good flow and archival.

>> No.2215866

>>2213149
>you'll probably be listening to how the teachers and students don't need technical skill to do fine art as they make shitty sculptures

Why do people like this exist? What started this "special snowflake" mentality in art?

>> No.2215873

>>2215866
Because you don't need skill nor knowledge to spew shit like it's fact.

>> No.2215889

Just downloaded Photoshop and feeling a little overwhelmed. Any have a video or series of videos that covers the basics of it?

>> No.2215894

>>2215849
>>2215862
right on , thanks bros

>>2215889
maybe that ctrl paint series, but im not sure they teach the basics of photoshop, you might could look up something on youtube, i know i learned it back in high school so i cant be much help

>> No.2215933
File: 445 KB, 2592x1944, 1441968491925-1255058006.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What do instructors mean when using this sentence?

Does it mean that I shouldn't use my knowledge of construction in perspective and just eyeball things and try to representate them in paper? For example when drawing a person, using direct estimation of proportions and positive-negative spaces instead of understanding the pose and construct the volumes of the masses of the body? In case they mean the former, what benefit does it have?

>> No.2215941

>>2211554
Creature/monster/demon design resources?
Or is it just about how good you frankeinstain, say, animals for instance?

>> No.2215943

>>2215933

They mean not to symbol draw, like the almond with a circle in the middle shape kids and untrained people will draw for an eye.

>> No.2215944

>>2215933
>When drawing from life, draw exactly what you see, not what you THINK you see.

That sentence refers to people who don't know about drawing at all. An artist who knows about the construction and anatomy of figure drawing would be able to use his knowledge to draw a proper pose, even if he does not draw from life, but if a n00b drew from his memory it would be a misshapen blob.

As for direct estimations of the model vs constructing the pose, you should really do both. Estimating proportions and using negative spaces would help train your eye to see the correct proportions and perspectives. Constructing the pose from your mind would train your knowledge of figure drawing itself, such as the size and structure of the limbs and how they move.

>> No.2215947

>>2211554
Is it possible for an artist who creates SFW ocs while doing good-tier concept work and illustration to get anywhere in the game/creative industry or general freelance? Is there a greater chance for them to fail catastrophically like the Tom Preston scenario?

>> No.2215960

>>2215933
Indeed, you draw only shapes, colors, values, edges and so on. Pretend it is just a mosaic or something.

You can use knowledge you have to make it easier to see some things, but don't be let astray by it.

This isn't only limited to accidental symbol drawing, it would be the same if you know how to properly construct bodies and use that.

It's a powerful tool to not need to bother with the limits of your knowledge when drawing/painting. It also gets rid of lots of construction steps you normally deal with (e.g. constructing a cylinder in space before going to details.)

>> No.2215968

>>2215960

I understand that, but personally, I did pure observational drawing with the Bargue drawing course and didn't learn shit from it. Useful shit I mean. Learning to copy didn't help me at all. However, i did How to draw and Hampton and i actually understood how drawing is a mental process.

>> No.2215991
File: 499 KB, 686x950, 17b592df16d0d7844c06099fedaa3362.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2215342
>these people

that pic isn't supposed to be an improvement, op was pointing out the difference between red-red hair and red-orange hair, in relation to pink.

So, red-red hair, with a red vest, so long as they are different in value, would look good. Thank you anon.

>>2215947
what is a SFW oc? I'm reading this as 'safe for work original character' which I'm guessing isn't it

>> No.2215997

How can i get better at environments ?

>> No.2216036

>>2215968
Seems like I didn't answer what the benefits are beyond that you can skip lots of knowledge.

Looking at the image again, the hard to read text talks about "visual library," so it isn't about direct painting as I at first assumed, it is studying reality so you can draw better from imagination.

That means the two lines are really just about looking at reality when you study, it is not about how you put it down on paper for later. That is totally up to you and what you study. So direct painting, doodles, schematics and observation notes are all good if they contain what you wanted to keep.

>> No.2216037

>>2215997
Anon, do you think there is some sort of secret shortcut that someone is going to give you here? You already know the answer: Draw more environments, study real environments

>> No.2216063

>>2215991
>what is a SFW oc? I'm reading this as 'safe for work original character' which I'm guessing isn't it
Yes it is. Also, someone else has started a thread specifying this question >>2215967

>> No.2216102

>>2215991
>So, red-red hair, with a red vest, so long as they are different in value, would look good. Thank you anon.
I never said that. My original point was that red hair + red clothes isn't inherently bad. Context and the types of reds used makes a big difference. This doesn't mean that any combination of red+red is inherently good.

There are more ways to change red than just its value. You can change its saturation and hue as well, while still having something that people would categorize as "red".

"Red-red" hair with a red vest of possibly different value doesn't guarantee strong results - especially since there are more elements to to the character design than just the color of the hair and one small piece of attire. Likewise the colors used in the worlds created would limit what color palettes would be successful on characters. They'd need to stand out from the background, but still look like they belong to the same world.

Point is any rule that overgeneralizes (especially in the format "all X are bad" or "never do Y") isn't true in all situations. At best these rules are tips and pointers that might help the average piece - they shouldn't be used to limit creative problem solving.

>tldr; "Not all red+red combinations are bad" =/= :All red+red combinations are good:

>> No.2216114
File: 19 KB, 600x600, 1441027876638.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyone else get hand paint after a few hours of drawing?

My mind wants me to keep drawing but my hand/wrist and back tell me to btfo

what's happening and how can I solve it?

>> No.2216116

>>2216114

>paint

pain* kek

>> No.2216155

>>2211554
Can drawing a subject repeatedly, until said drawing looks good, help you git gud? Maybe draw the subject once, analyze it, then draw the subject with a different approach. Or does this hinder muh journey to git gud

>> No.2216159

I'm an artist in my heart, but my skills are awfull. I want to go to University and study art, but I don't want to fuck up the recruitment I have one year to be at least medicore. I have only paper and pencil is it possible while I'm in normal school atm and I do not study art there? I want to do what I love finally, cause my life is a fucking joke.

>> No.2216165

>>2216159

How many time available do you have to get good? I can give you a list of books to study in order which will make you get very good if you do the exercises.

>> No.2216180

>>2216165
Well 1.5-3 hours from Monday to Friday, whole day long in weekends

>> No.2216190
File: 163 KB, 393x378, 1441135701251.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2216180

Good, because 2 and a half hours of FOCUSED practice a day might do the trick. I hope you have money for books.

1: Read Perspective Made Easy and do all the exercises.
2: Read How to Draw by Scott Robertson and do all the exercises and watch the videos.
3: Read Figure Drawing by Andrew Loomis and do all the exercises.
4: Read Drawing the Head and Hands by Loomis and do all the exercises.
5: Read Force by Michael Mattesi.
6: Read How to Render by Scott Robertson and do all the exercises.
7: Read Color and Light by James Gurney and do all the exercises.

>> No.2216329

>>2216114
1. Absolutely do carpal tunnel exercises on the hour every out. Look em up on youtube, there are videos. Treasure your wrists.

2. You should be drawing from the shoulder and elbow anyway, ya doink. You'll get a cleaner line.

3. Quit gripping the pencil so hard. Chill, check in periodically (every time you reach a lull in a piece, bring your attention to your fingers) and try holding the pencil from a higher point on its body.

>> No.2216351

where can i get some thick A4 paper in bulk and isn't overpriced as shit?

>> No.2216355
File: 628 KB, 1000x665, 0v18794000000-st-1-1980.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Y'all, I got a hold of some 1980 paints by Gamblin. Anyone tried them? They're just about as good as their artist oils, real talk.

Most student grade paint is shit because it lacks tinting strength, colour intensity, and has weird as fuck textures and maneuverability (Winsor & Newton's Winton line, for example).

My question is WHY THE FUCK should I spend a hundred dollars on a few tubes of Old Holland-tier shit when I can get a whole set of these babies for less than that? Try and justify the higher priced paint, I dare you.

>> No.2216358

I'm practicing gesture for half and hour every day, because I'm beginner and people told me that doing that is good. But then what? I mean, once you do the gesture drawing what? you draw anatomy on top of gesture? of gesture is only an exercise and has nothing to do with the actual drawing pipeline?

>> No.2216379

>>2216358
In life drawing, gesture is a quick and solid method to keep the larger pose and the total proportions in mind before moving on to anatomy and detail, as the model isn't going to stay still forever.

In figurative drawing, gesture is used to keep an artist from falling down the rabbit-hole of turd polishing. A good gesture underlying the rendering of a figure will make it look like a candid shot rather than a posed one.

So they're a pretty vital part of the drawing pipeline, which is why people practice them. Plus, the skills improve in parallel - if you get good at communicating the proportions and foreshortening of the human body in gesture, bringing it to a fully realized figure is just a matter of refinement.

>> No.2216387

What sort of things should I prioritize if I'm buying a new laptop?

I paint digitally, largely with photoshop but dabbling with other programs as needed, and I like to mess around in a few 3d programs but not so intensely that I'd want something that could handle complicated animation and rendering. I also play some vidya, but I got a desktop at home for my hi-res graphic whore needs so that's not a priority.

8 gb ram seems to be the minimum for multiple program running - would there be a point to trying to get more?

>> No.2216466
File: 26 KB, 360x200, hsl-lightness.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2212682
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HSL_and_HSV
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIELUV
it's because HSL wasn't designed for perceptual uniformity so lightness varies drastically between hues

>> No.2216471

Is copying and image, or doing a study of some image you find on google images good for you? Like to literally copy every detail, does that help at all?

>> No.2216515

>>2216471
If you have no clue why you are drawing it and you aren't following an exercise from an art instructor, lol no.

>> No.2216584
File: 911 KB, 3402x4781, Zone.of.the.Enders.full.186624.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Setting such high goals before getting any skills is probably a bad idea but I guess it can't hurt to task.

My goal is to be able to draw robots with a lot of detail. (from imagination)

I am a beginner though. Is there a special way I should go or should I first learn the basics and then return when I can make acurate drawings from life and draw figures with correct proportions in different poses and angles? Aside from the usual books that get recommended to beginners are there any other recommended ressources? Free online courses or something like that?

>> No.2216600

>>2216584
>My goal is to be able to draw robots with a lot of detail. (from imagination)

Bro, lemme give it to you straight.
If you want to draw a thing, you're going to have to study the other things that make up that thing.

Robots right?
Study machines, engines, cars, tanks, boats, real robots. Understand what a robot needs (An Engine, Fuel, Tubes, Wires, Circuitry, Lights, etc etc)

Now, (most) robots are Hard-Surface meaning they're made of a man made material or something that isn't skin, muscle, fabric, etc so learning and understanding perspective will be a HUGE help.

Also figure drawing because
1. Figures are fucking hard to draw
2. You'll learn gesture and how to portray certain emotions
3. You'll figure out how our skeleton works, and how each muscle moves the bones in our bodies (this is very useful knowledge)
4. Proportion proportion proportion (especially for creating unique robots)

If you wanted a path for a beginner who is comfortable with a pencil and paper
Perspective, Gesture, Long Figure drawing sessions, Imaginative figures, Machines (Actually draw engines, joints, car parts, etc) from life, Machine parts from imagination, Robots

Keep drawing robots and other cars and planes etc throughout this whole process. Robots aren't human, so no matter what you put down, as long as it looks like it could work, then it's fine. Otherwise, it's gotta look cool haha.

Anyway, have fun with it. A good artist to check out is Jake Parker. He does TONS of robots, and actually made a video about it, so take a look around.

Good Luck

>> No.2216605

>>2216600
Thanks! Scott Robertson's books would be right to learn drawing machines right?

Any other books or ressources on that subject you can recommend?

Should I learn general drawing from life, figure drawing and machines simultaniously or make sure I get good enough at the first two first? I am a bit confused because with drawing the order is not totally clear to me like it is with something like math for example.

>> No.2216608

>>2216600
And absolutely, always remember rule #34: Just because it's a robot, doesn't mean it doesn't get to have tits.

>> No.2216610

>>2214065
anyone?

>> No.2216616

>>2211554
I'm looking for the painting where a lot of ghastly looking people are pulling a ship. Does anyone know it? I can't find it...

>> No.2216620

>>2216616
Probably this one by Repin: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ae/Ilia_Efimovich_Repin_(1844-1930)_-_Volga_Boatmen_(1870-1873).jpg

>> No.2216624

>>2216620
Yes, that's the one! Thank you :)

>> No.2216628
File: 310 KB, 723x953, finch.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I really like David Finch's figure drawing series (pic). What other art teachers are most similar to his method? I would say loomis, but im wondering is theres someone more like him.

>> No.2216632

>>2216628
Bridgeman?

>> No.2216638

What are the fundamentals and what which ones should i learn from first?

>> No.2216639

>>2216605
Scott Robertson's book isn't focused on drawing machines, rather it's more on how to draw shit from imagination using perspective and sectional drawing.

The reason it isn't clear is because there is no right path for drawing. You want to draw robots? Study machinery. You want to draw humanoid robots? Study machinery and humans at the same time then mix them together somehow.

I'm not going to spoonfeed you shit, but I'll give you some names:
For drawing figures:
George Bridgman, Glenn Vlippu, Hogarth, Loomis, Hampton, Steve Huston, Mike Mattesi

For Perspective stuff
Scott Robertson, Joseph D'Amelio, Montague, Cheeseman-Mayer, Norling

Here's Jake Parker's video
>https://svslearn.com/#/classDetail/-JkpLD7W94p5FzBLNLhF

It's all about just having fun with it. Focus on making robots look cool at first, then ease in functionality to get a sense of realism.

You gotta just start man. Put pencil to paper for at LEAST an hour and just draw whatever comes to mind. Then spend another hour actually studying stuff like figures or still lives or whatever.
Start somewhere.

>>2216608
Robot boobs are the best boobs

>> No.2216644
File: 40 KB, 439x488, arm.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2216632
Nah, not sound like a noob, ive tried using bridgteman's approach, but I just find myself picturing the figure better using less cubes (pic), but something like finch's figure. If that makes sense

>> No.2216653

Ever notice that theres a clear divide between your drawings? To me theres the drawings that dont say much but are great examples of technical skill, and the drawings that are the opposite.

Or maybe its just looking back at drawings in retrospect? Idk but i really want to make drawings that both say something special and are nice to look at. I think the way I am approaching technical aspect of drawing is straining what art is to me. Meh.

>> No.2216660

>>2216644
Woah who is this Japanese Bridgman?

>> No.2216663
File: 54 KB, 375x375, 13290741695561.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2216660
>>2216615
Now answer my question please.

>> No.2216678
File: 43 KB, 512x512, 1439974864253.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2216663
Well, I think the reason behind people being hesitant on answering your question is that Finch draws in a very specific style. Hell, he's payed to draw in that type of format.

I think if you were to explore more related artists that are involved in DC comics, you will quickly find that they are also using similar styles.
I am not too well versed in comics or "how to draw using their method" but there's this one kid in my class who is really into comic books and basically read, "How to draw comics the marvel way" and he too draws in a very stylistic way.

I would not resort to loomis or bridgman. Rather, I would hit up Hampton for some quick construction, then go explore the artists of DC and Marvel comics. Look at their processes, look at their techniques. Why do they render in a certain way? Why do they draw the head that way?
I would even dive into some anatomy books like Winslow's books or Anatomy for Sculptors, or even Grey's Anatomy for very specific shit. The reason I say that is because the way Finch draws seems like he's basing a lot of the "gesture" on the curvature of the muscles and their relationship with each other on the body. What muscle groups flow together, how can I show FORCE in this figure.

Ooo that's another one, check out Force, by Mike Mattesi.

Hopefully this eases some stress you might have had.

>> No.2216681
File: 36 KB, 300x250, hinaichigo.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2216678
thankyou anon.

>> No.2216711

>>2216605
>>>/hr/
there might be some technology related threads for you to collect references or inspiration from every now and then. Searching on google might be more helpful if you're looking for specific things tho.

>> No.2216803

I get tired and procrastinate-y by the 4 hour of continuous study. How to extend this time, or are breaks necessary?

Coffee does weird things to me, nothxplz.

>> No.2216835

>>2216190
Will these books teach me the fundamentals?

>> No.2216853

>>2216835
How fundamental are we talking about?

>> No.2216878

>>2216190
>1: Read Perspective Made Easy and do all the exercises.
>2: Read How to Draw by Scott Robertson and do all the exercises and watch the videos.
>3: Read Figure Drawing by Andrew Loomis and do all the exercises.
>4: Read Drawing the Head and Hands by Loomis and do all the exercises.
>5: Read Force by Michael Mattesi.
>6: Read How to Render by Scott Robertson and do all the exercises.
>7: Read Color and Light by James Gurney and do all the exercises.

Pls stop this meme

>> No.2216903

>>2216878
Y?

>> No.2216905

>>2216878
So it's not good advice? Also iare the reddit fundamental lessons good if i want to at least draw something that will let me go to shitty uni?

>> No.2216916

>>2216905
You mean an art cschool? Yeah, they're pretty lenient with their acceptance. You don't really need skill other than having hands to draw with.. Bepreparedfordebt!

>> No.2216924

>>2216905
not necessarily bad advice, just that it's meme'd so hard that the sheer amount of work a beginner has to do on their end is understated and the content of the books are presented as concrete "read the fucking manual" dogma on whatever subject matter they cover. Actually think for yourself, discard anything from these books that you feel doesn't work for you, appreciate the fact that there's a whole lot more to gitting gud at illustrating than 7 books is capable of offering, and do your own stuff first and foremost, stuff you actually like to do or that you find is challenging.

Regardless, a lot of those books are really fucking nice to have, lots of good info that's more or less digestable. I wouldn't pay shit for them myself, just pick them up from the book thread instead.

>> No.2216948

>>2216924

>>2216916
I'm 18, in Poland we go to University for 5 years, after high-school. I'm in last class and I'm a talentless piece of shit, but I like to draw while I'm so damn bad at it.

>> No.2216962

>>2216948
Also I can't purchase Robertson books cause 60$ are actually pretty much for Polish standards. Am I missing a lot?

>> No.2216973
File: 39 KB, 376x499, 51JKTFJ65kL._SX374_BO1,204,203,200_[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

how do i use this book effectively? Should I read everything or just study all the drawings?

>> No.2216975
File: 106 KB, 500x750, yourmom.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2216962
they're free over at the art book thread. you can buy them later when you make money off furry porn if you feel like you have a sense of debt with their authors.

>> No.2216981

>>2216962
tbh I wouldnt know
find out yourself, just download that shit from the book thread if you're not afraid of pirating >>2215257

if you're absolutely talentless, get books like "Keys to Drawing" or "The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain", maybe the "Famous Arts Course" book series and Vilppu's Figure Drawing too.

>> No.2216982

>>2216962
also keep >>2216924 in mind
>Actually think for yourself, discard anything from these books that you feel doesn't work for you, appreciate the fact that there's a whole lot more to gitting gud at illustrating than 7 books is capable of offering, and do your own stuff first and foremost, stuff you actually like to do or that you find is challenging.

>> No.2217000

>>2211554
What are some good websites to start a blog? Anything that isn't tumblr is prefered

>> No.2217002

>>2213720
InDesign is for doing type heavy layouts, things like magazines, books, pamphlets, anything that is many pages long. If you're actually designing type or something do that shit in illustrator.

>> No.2217007
File: 55 KB, 500x282, 5f804a2b37200418a0e5e46d7913bceb.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

how do you get drawing friends.

>> No.2217010

>>2217007
Forums. Permanoobs, ConceptArt, Polycount. Just ask there. There's probably already a thread for that somewhere around those forums, actually.

>also because your personality sucks and you don't know how to socialise.

>> No.2217022

>>2217010
>also because your personality sucks and you don't know how to socialise.

aint that the truth. I see other peoples sketchbooks and I want to post in them but I don't know what to say. I'm not at a level where I can offer any productive critique or insight and I think people aren't really looking for random praise, or maybe they are? I don't know.

>> No.2217025

>>2217022
Nah man, I feel you. There's some sort of faggot perfectionist in me that doesn't want to show anyone anything. This board gives some freedom because of it's full anonymity.

>> No.2217035

>>2217025
I have a sketchbook on permanoobs. I don't really mind showing people stuff, I'm definitely not a perfectionist at all. I don't get that many comments but that's most likely because I don't post in other peoples sketchbooks. I really need to make it a point to outreach more.

I just wish I didn't want to socialize. like if I could cut that part of my brain out of my head and just focus on drawing and improving and not worry what people are thinking or have stupid nights where I go "o woe is me im so sad im so lonely a bloo bloo bloo" and need reassurance from other people. Or when I see something amazing or cool or inspirational and I want to share it with someone else. I gotta tell myself "nobody gives a crap man, just get back to drawing!" man I wish I was a robot. but then if I was I wouldn't be able to check off the "I'm not a robot" on Captcha, which means I wouldn't be able to post so I guess it's not all bad.

>> No.2217067

>>2217035
Show us them sketchies!

>> No.2217078

>>2217067
sure why not, I could use a good kick in the teeth.

http://forums.permanoobs.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1674

>> No.2217332

Is there a roadmap for getting good?

>> No.2217482

>>2217078

well, you're definitely improving.

It's weird. I graduated university like 2 months ago. I didn't do anything related to art on my course and never have. Then I started drawing because I thought, that's a useful skill. And, BAM, I was hooked, it has been the best experience creatively I've ever had. I've drawn everyday a minimum of 4 hours without missing a day in 10 weeks. I recently broke up with my boyfriend to draw more and I've found myself slowly looking at my phone less and less, slowly cutting out all my friends and family so I can draw more. I feel like it isn't going to end well, but its just a compulsion now, draw all the time. Being masterful at something is the greatest feeling in the world. I think it will be worth it if you become a robot.

>> No.2217506

>>2217482
>I recently broke up with my boyfriend to draw more and I've found myself slowly looking at my phone less and less, slowly cutting out all my friends and family so I can draw more.
What the fuck is wrong with you

>> No.2217508

>>2217482
Thanks. I was kind of the same way. I went through 2 years of college not knowing what I wanted to pursue, never really did anything art related and only on my final term a year ago I decided to take a drawing class and now it's what I want to do. Funny how that works out. You're right, there is nothing else to it but just learning and repetition. I just need to keep putting the hours in and not get so distracted.

>> No.2217638

I've only been drawing from reference pictures for a while (freehand); will any of those skills transfer to drawing from imagination or is doing that worthless?

>> No.2217653

>>2217638
Gives you line confidence. I used to only draw freehand from reference and now I do it about 25-35% of the time. Mostly when I am learning to draw something new. That includes referencing, not copying. I hardly do that at all. Unless from life counts.

>> No.2217655

>>2217653
Good to know, I hardly ever do humans so I'll probably have to start from scratch with that I assume. Sometimes I wonder if it's all right to just only draw from reference, but that seems kind of limiting I guess.

>> No.2217661

>>2217638
Not entirely worthless (if you're not a literal autist).

You need to know what things look like to draw them, what shapes to use to construct them, and perhaps why they look the way they do in photos, that's why you draw from reference pictures yeah? Taking the time to draw from reference will certainly help you when you have to draw things form imagination, given that you're not an autistic human photocopier.

>> No.2217702

>>2217655
>I wonder if it's all right to just only draw from reference, but that seems kind of limiting

I feel it's only as limiting as you treat it. If you use it as just another tool in your arsenal then using reference can take you a long way. LIke if you're having a problem getting a certain pose right; using a reference becomes an invaluable asset. Using a reference the -right- way is a skill all on it's own, imo.

>> No.2217763

As a beginner do I need to finish books like keys to drawing before moving on to figure drawing?

>> No.2217775

>>2217763
no.

your figure drawings will probably look sub-mediocre shit if you don't finish the beginner books first, but that doesn't really matter in the long run, still plenty of time to improve.

You could use the figure drawings you do now as a benchmark for your improvement, so if it's shitty today, you'll be very happy with yourself in the future (assuming you make the effort to git gud)

>> No.2217798

>>2212712
its likely the pencil, i have never used good ones and have always found them a bitch to use unless you are super light with them.

from what i remember, there are some that use a plastic as a base, some that use wax, and some that are just paint (see water color pencils) and i have only ever used crap from crayola for kids.

not saying i didn't get good effects out of them, they were just a bitch to use.

>>2215866
modern art likely started it, if you can't critique a piece you have to critique the idea, and that's a bit harder to do, it doesn't hurt that the most wealthy artists also tend to be the snake oil people too.

>>2213189
ok dude, if you are willing to put money down on art, here is how you do it.
ONLY pay for a class if they have sketching from live models, if they dont than its not worth it.
if the classes that sketch from live models are behind "you need to complete X first" they are a scam trying to make money.

what you want to look for is workshop courses, basicly, they teach you something in a shorter time period than a normal school usually charging less overall and if they are good ran by someone who knows their shit at the very least.

also, supplement your in real life shit with a 100% watts course. they are among the best teachers in the world, and apparent watts is has done 600 hours for fundamentals alone in video. you probably dont want to pass it up and its 100$ a year for the drawing course alone, 200$ a year for unlimited access to their shit. im poor so i cant speak to quality of the online videos, but i do have the 8gb dvd of his that is floating around, and if its anywhere as good as that, you are in good hands.

outside of figure drawing from real models, schools cant offer you much more than access to tools you otherwise wouldn't have.

>> No.2217799

I'm colorblind and have avoided learning how to seriously shade/color for my entire art career. I think it's about time to learn, but I can't find any resources that help me; All that comes up is "literal children's guide to coloring in the lines" and "babby's intro to the color wheel and what it means". I need stuff like how to choose color saturation and how lighting effects things.

>> No.2217804

>>2212742
are you practicing? news print
are you making a masterpiece, look for archival paper and pick your grit.
water color paper, at least in my experience is made to take water and not have it drip where you dont want it to drip, makes it fantastic for watercolors, acrylics, and other paints, but poor for pencils or charcoal.

>>2213057
its all about your ability to see the mistakes, its something that you gain over time and can be taught to some extent.

>>2213209
do a gesture, and than check if the proportions are right, see where they are wrong and evaluate what made them wrong. worse come to worse, use a calipers made for artists to do proportions till you get a better feel for it.

>>2213294
start also mapping in shadows, not shading, just the line for where the shadow starts and light begins. if its not obvious in the image, try finding models that are in more hard light.

>>2213569
people like to think that if you draw off a photo, they will be able to tell, but in reality they cant. all you have to do is keep in mind not to mindlessly copy and photo studies are not something to be afraid of.

>>2213773
>>2213702
good video is always worlds better than a good book with very few exceptions, there should be videos that will cover most of if not everything that is written in books if you can find them, that is.

>>2213732
a number of years back the un went there and were give a tour, the inspector went just a little bit outside of the guided tour and was met with a fuck load of establishments hanging "no foriners" signs. japan will bite the bullet if you can do something they can't, but you got nothing to offer them art wise.
it may be possible to do porn or doujins if you get a japanese face to sell your work for you... as much as i love what japan makes, i despise the culture they created, in some areas its kind of deserved hate, but others... just no.

>> No.2217806

Is it normal if most of the excercises that I do from beginner books come out as shit? I've only started like a week ago.

>> No.2217809

>>2214065
>>2216610
ok, there are only two nibs i know, and i only know the western counter part for names,

hunt 512 is the g nib equivalent
and the crow quill, i forget the equivalent pen in japan.

crow is for detail work, as it can make a sub .05 mm line, the g pen has the wider range of line thicknesses but is also comparatively hard to use to get smooth transitions.

if you are trying to get a variety of lines all the time, i would honestly recommend against metal nibs, and go with a brush tip instead, as nibs wear out on the regular if you try to pull a variety of lines with them.

to that effect, i recommend a pentel pocket brush, as its the best brush you will get in that price range, and once the ink is gone you can either get more refills or use it as a dip brush.

if you are set on nibs though, g nib is what you want and want to practice with, get good at that and you will be able to use anything else with little problem.

>>2214541
you mean pulling the lines you want or do you mean uniform pressure?

>>2214580
make a story and tell it exclusively through the art.

>>2214609
practice erey day

>>2215569
there should be a 22gb torrent floating around, theres also a shit ton online, also his youtube channel.

>>2215289
>>2215342
>>2215991
>>2216102
there are a lot of different "rules" to doing shit, i personally say whatever works, but than you have people with a real hardon for sticking to what they know works as a part of color theory.

generally however, to normal people, if it works that's all they care about, really all you have to try and do is not make colors clash.

>> No.2217811

>>2217804
thanks dude

>> No.2217816

>>2217806
Why wouldn't they be shit? Do you expect to be born with the skill that you're starting to practice?

That said, you should probably be practicing each exercise a good number of times until they're not as shit, but it's hard to say without seeing the exercise in question and your attempt. Think of it like math homework: did you actually learn anything if your attempt was shoddy and you got a 40%?

On the other hand, a lot of the ability to draw is something that comes with practice and time. Depending on the exercise we're talking about, you shouldn't ever expect anything but shitty results - even with repeated attempts - until you have more experience under your belt. Just make sincere attempts at what you do, and keep practicing. You've only been at this for a week.

>> No.2217819

>>2215318
Ok, the most efficiant thing you can do is NEVER RENDER
map a shadow at most but do not render, rendering is a time wasting process when you are just trying to polish shit, just draw until you stop seeing flaws, than move to rendering as you will gain nothing from drawing while you dont see the flaws.

learn how to place shit in perspective, and than never do the rigging again. this is something you want to be able to do innately, the only time you need to be perfect is if its an architectural piece, mechanical drawing, or if you made a weird perspective the focal point of the piece.

also, learn one school of construction and stick with it until you get better, no point in learning every school and having all that shit conflict when you are just getting good.

this should cover everything until your skill catches up with your eye (just drawing) and till your eye catches back up with your skill (rendering time) past this you are on your own with how to progress further, i would say not to stop rendering anymore as the amount your eye got better by isnt as big as the difference was in the start.

>>2215328
borenstein is fucking joking when he said he touched the models dude.

>>2215397
i wouldn't render, its just polishing shit...
show us the piece you were told focus on accuracy for.

>>2215652
depends on the person and how accurate they need to be.

>>2215831
pentel pocket brush, like it a lot more than the sakura, but its harder to get precise control unless you dont suck, drawing with a brush is pretty fun really.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyGZhERTDyg

>>2215941
learn anatomy, and better yet if you learn why things are located where and how they effect movement, that way you can better make monsters, also, never add shit that has no purpose if you can help it.

>> No.2217824

>>2215947
dobson decided to not use or practice skills he learned before, lost said skills by going up his own ass with style, and than started to churn out shit for years, when a commission was asked, did he take 3 months, or did he take 9 months to complete it all the while likely tracing part of it.

this dude wanted an easy street and life kicked him hard in the taint.

yea, you could fuck up like him, but it's a special kind a retard that is required to become like that, if you are self aware already, you likely wont hit his rock bottom.

>>2216155
dont draw the same thing over and over again and only that, get a pool of pieces, and draw them and if you draw the same one twice fuck it, it can be used to see how you improved.

>>2216351
dickblick
got 500 pages of news print there for 15$ for 18x24 if i remember what a4 is that would be about 3.25$ for 500 sheets.

>>2216355
whatever works and is archival, better paint may be easier to use but skill trumps quality of materials anyday.

>>2216358
google vilppu, he is someone who takes a gesutre all the way to finished products, and it will help you see how to use gesture in your workflow.

>>2216387
dont get a fucking laptop?
for the cost of a good speced laptop you can get a real pc even better specked out for sometimes half the cost.
unless you absolutely need to be mobile, dont go laptop.

if you need to be mobile, processor and gpu for one, ram comes in at number 2, 8gb should be the minimum, and if its user replaceable, go even lower than 8gb because you can buy 16gb for cheaper than they will give you. also, ssd boot.

>>2216584
your first goal should be not hating what you make, this is the hardest goal to overcome but the first one you will hit.

for robots, doing them from imagination requires you to know how they move and ways to believably make them move in said ways.

>> No.2217830

>>2216638
perspective 1 2 and 3 point just so you know what to do, but dont lay in lines, than gesture so you can get proportions in and from there others can answer.

>>2216803
maybe longer than 4 hours a day isn't for you right now, and yea, breaks on the hour hell alot.

>>2217000
you want people to see your shit, tumbler, deviant art, facebook.
facebook is shit because it only lets a fraction of the people who follow see your new shit,
instagram is popular

>>2217332
no, you also have to define good as good here can mean not hateing your art to better than masters

>>2217799
how badly color blind are you?

>>2217806
they are going to be shit for a long time dude, just remember, dont polish shit.

>> No.2217834

>>2217506

I don't know. Its just like an inventible momentum. I feel strangely not in control.

>>2217508

It's nice to know that someone else has experienced this. I feel like I'm really really far behind from having gone through a 4 year college degree in the "wrong" subject.

>> No.2217843

>>2217830
Colorblind enough that eyeballing things hasn't been working out very well. Blue/Purple get mixed up, as well as reds/browns/greens/yellows (as in each can be confused with the ones adjacent).

>> No.2217868

What is a good exercise or lecture or book or whatever to improve value painting skill?
I get the proportions OKish and a good linework, but when I put grays it looks flat. Also, I'm afraid of putting too much dark.
Doing gesture drawing helped me a lot, so I hope exists something for value training.

>> No.2217870

How do you guys get going at the start of the day?

I can draw for hours in the night, but it takes me three hours to get into the mood.

>> No.2217887

>>2217870

Does it really matter when you start so long as you put in the hours you need?

>> No.2217891

>>2217830
>you want people to see your shit

I want something I can post everything on. Tumblr is be great for views, but I'm not focused on that at the moment.

>> No.2217892

>>2217843
well shit, if the colors give you that hard a problem there may be very little you can do to work with color...

are you able to take... lets say 10-20 shades of grey from black to white and be correct in your placement or do they blend together too?

because i know you can do fairly decent black and white and be able to get away with it, and if you got good at inking, that's also pretty fun to do, especially with a brush

if you need to use color, you could use a very limited palet that you cant confuse 2 colors and use it as a contrast color.

there is also something you may want to look into. i know there are glasses that help with color blindness, they do something to the light to make it fucking clear what color is what and people who cant see color or color we'll get to see a fuckload more with it, i'm not sure if its just research phase stuff, but its something you could look into.

>>2217868
i like the watts but that's more drawing, however its a style that's suppose to mimic how you paint so it's a very transferable skill.

>> No.2217953

>>2211554
I am conflicted /ic/.
When I am drawing from a photo reference, I usually take the reference's size, and come up with a drawing that is as big or close to my reference. Now I am not copying, I can take the reference when I study and be finished with the sketch in 10 minutes and then just render for another 20 to 40 minutes (when doing portraits).
My question is, is this a bad habit?

>> No.2217956

>>2217809
Thank you for answering everyone's questions

>> No.2217989

>>2216973
what will reading do for you? You will get better at reading. Drawing will improve you at drawing, this book is also not only filled with drawings but also educational and therefore do the excersises, altough I have to say that I didnt do them (after the first few) because I dont like loomis style of teaching.

>> No.2217992

What am I supposed to do in the tonal bar exercise in Keys To Drawing?

>> No.2218015

How long does a half pan set of 12 artists grade last? I do 1-3 A5 sheets a day. (2-6 paintings)

>> No.2218148

>>2217809
Thank you based

>> No.2218188

>>2211554
How do I handle minor/moderate hand tremors while illustrating?

>> No.2218196

>>2215894
i'd agree with the ctrl paint series. Its give a good basis on what tools you need and which arent totally relevant to you when you're first starting up.

>> No.2218361
File: 146 KB, 800x1200, 02.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>just ordered my first drawing tablet
I currently have manga studio installed

Is this a good starting point or are there better programs that I can torrent?

>> No.2218362

>>2218188
take pentazemin

>> No.2218374

>>2218361
Really good

>> No.2218375

>>2218361
Try out krita if you're just drawing/painting, it's a no nonsense program that just has what you need. Probably one of the few good free programs I've used.

>> No.2218384

Anyone has a good tuto/ref/artists on crosshatching ? Trying to get into that cause I love the render a lot. For example the engravings of Gustave Doré in the Divine Comedy.

>> No.2218409
File: 1.66 MB, 1920x1080, ThisShitterRightHere.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2218362
thanks I guess

>> No.2218424
File: 47 KB, 736x554, 13c2ab4635a224caf9ab1b8dc939296e.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Do you know where I can get references like this?

I need them for sculpting, but can't afford to pay $20-30 a month for them.

I suppose I could just use male underwear runways shows and pause the video.

>> No.2218812

>>2218375
>krita

Have any advice on setting up a decent sketching brush?

>> No.2218832

>>2218424
get ripped then scan your body

>> No.2218843

>>2216803
Gotta wean yourself onto it

>> No.2218883

Is reading all these books really the best way to learn to draw? One of my friends who can draw pretty good said not to bother reading about shit and just draw as much as possible.

>> No.2218917

>>2218883
Well... your friend sort of has a point but there's nothing to lose to really learn about what you're drawing. Knowledge on anatomy for example really adds to drawings than take away from it.

I think your friend is simply saying to not let reading replace the time you should be spending drawing.

The same is true where just mindlessly drawing will cause you to plateau on your growth as an artist.

tldr: Both are important but you're more likely to learn more by drawing more.

>> No.2219125

>>2211554
So I was fapping to a camwhore who was super fit. I took a ton of screenshots for my personal use. I got a shit ton of decent references for dynamic poses. Is this an okay thing to do?

>> No.2219161

>>2218188
depending on what you mean, hold the pencil lighter, draw lines faster, possibly go full digital with a cintiq or cintiq like display and use a stabilizer, its not idea, but life hands you shit sometimes you have to deal with.

do you know what triggers it?
if its bad, have you considered switching hands if you can? it will be a mother fucker, but will pay off in the end, though you are setting yourself back likely about a year.

>>2218375
>>2218812
i would ask if anyone can get that thing not to lag like a motherfucker first, could never get it to draw in real time.
>>2218361
if you dont plan to work in a studio, its all you will ever need.

>>2218384
watch this guy, he made me want to get dip pens,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHoqh27vQRw
though i later found out i love doing brush work probably more than hatching line that.

>>2218424
just get a photo reference, than cross reference with generic muscle chart, you should get a fairly good result that way so long as you know anatomy.
you doing digital or physical sculpting?

>>2218883
dont get into a cycle where you read more than you draw, but dont completely slag off books either.
best you can do is video demos as sources. to that end, vilppu has the most complete video set you can find online for free.

>>2219125
depends, you planning to sell it? if so you need to change the face and hair most likely, if it was an un recorded live show than it would be hard to prove shit
if you are using it for practice, fucking go for it,
if the images are just to get a pose down, than go for it, no one can copyright a pose.

if you just want muscle reference, go female bodybuilder, you dont get roid ripped look most males get, but you also get realistic levels of muscle on a boy that is extremely low fat so they are visible.

>> No.2219178
File: 20 KB, 235x258, tldrpowell2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is it worth going through Drawabox entirely or should I move on to something more comprehensive for drawing humans and vehicles?

I feel though I can do the exercises with some level of competence I am not really learning any more than I would just doing normal studies, then again I am a new enough to art so maybe just doing this will help me to better understand more advanced shit.

>> No.2219182

>>2219161
The camwhore was pretty toned. She was a great reference.

>> No.2219237

Shade directly by picking colours yourself or using darken/multiply/some other layer or adjustment to paint shadows?

I usually paint the shadows and lights directly (on the same layer, fucking stupid and it's a habit I need to break) but I'm messing around with the layer settings and they seem a whole lot easier. Is there an inherent superiority to one of them?

>> No.2219267

How to I get past that "meh" stage where everything I draw is alright and there are no huge flaws but it's just alright and nothing more. I want to make people say "wow!", and not just "that's nice anon".

>> No.2219273

I've been constructing imaginary portraits with loomis and etc however I'm getting stuck on where the shadows fall, is there a alternative to shining a light on a mannequin ? Using perspective to have a single point of light is a little bit restrictive, and we know light doesn't work like that anyway

>> No.2219276

>>2219125
>respecting a camwhore

>> No.2219355
File: 1.92 MB, 4000x2804, CCI08072015_0002.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is there a name for pic related

Also is it possible to draw nicely with a mouse?

>> No.2219599

how do i get better at drawing faces? please don't refer to loomis.

>> No.2219633

>>2219599
draw lots of faces from reference

try to focus on different things:
shades
planes
shapes

see what works out for you. train your eyes to understand what's going on and your hands will follow

>> No.2219704

>>2219355
settei

>> No.2219742

>>2219355
Eehhh.... Character reference sheet?

>> No.2219786

stablizers

are they okay to use? I have horrible line strokes and I refuse to use them.

>> No.2219800

>>2219786
Mostly a preference thing. Might mess you up a little if you go from drawing on the PC to drawing on paper, but I doubt it'd mess you up too much. I only ever use stabilizers when I'm going trying to make a nice finished product, when I'm just practicing or goofing around I don't use them.

>> No.2219997

>>2219599
One trick that boost my faces a lot was doing studies on skulls for like a week, draw them from different angles, observe the shapes, etc...As well as the of course the occasional study and observations of faces you find interesting and/or attractive. When I draw faces I dont construct anything, just make a random shape that relatively resembles a human head and just add stuff from there. Everyone is different, do what youre comfortable with. You don't need to do studies or loomis.

>> No.2220158

>>2219178
if i remember what draw a box is, its draw 200 or 250 boxes in perspective right? assuming 20-30 boxes a piece of paper, depending on how big the paper is, it would be worth going through the supersize once, they also do various base objects so yea, have at it.

the whole point is to get you comfortable with perspective in the simplest way possible, if you are going to grind it, thats the way to go.

granted you may be referencing something completely different, or they changed the lesson plan to something else.

>>2219237
painting directly gives you complete control, while layer settings to do it... not as much control, allows you to adjust various settings so when you aren't good, and you say made something 10% to dark or to light, its a simple fix. i would say the layer options are faster, but not necessarily higher over all quality.

>>2219267
are you still seeing flaws in your own drawings? not your rendering, just the base drawings?

>>2219273
depending on how far you are, you are just getting use to laying in shadows, nothing more, yes, there is bounce light, but it doesn't factor in yet, just knowing where a shadow falls is more important. if you are still working through loomis, you are still at the point where you do not render, you map a shadow at most, factoring in bounce light and skin transparency is getting into rendering and you want to grind out drawing before going there.

>>2219599
learn where muscles are, and learn how they move and how they effect what you see depending on the expression they are making, having the knowledge of what makes the face do that shit makes drawing a face so much easier.

>> No.2220168

>>2219786
due to how digitizers work, they average 4 points and determine position that way, however sometimes a digitizer can glitch and throw out something like (100,300) (200,300) (100, 400) (5000, 750) and this will throw a stroke way the fuck off on a hardware level.

stabilizers work on a software level and take several points that the digitizer throws out and averages them together giving you a smoother stroke.

now, personal opinion here, always use a stabilizer, but have it set to the absolute lowest setting you can. if you make a slow methodical line, a tablet will fuck up more often than not. the larger the tablet, the slower you are able to go because the more points it has to source from and the smaller amount on screen the difference in points can be.

also, if you are doing intricate must be smooth work, i would personally rather turn a stabilizer way the fuck up and make a line once than ctrl+z ing 20+ times to try to do the same line... a friend of mine had it set in his head he needed to be able to do everything free hand, and refused to use a ruler for straight lines when he needed them... fucking retarded to not use tools that you have at your disposal.

-------------------------------
on a side note, now that the wiki is down i beleive, ill probably transition most of the question thread things i was doing over to a pastebin when i decided to work on it again, something to be put in the op posts. that answers redundant questions, that i do have a solid "this is how you do it" answer for

>> No.2220252
File: 31 KB, 504x382, itssomething.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hey /ic/ I'm really new and I've been watching a few of prokos videos and reading a bit of this book by Michael Hampton, but I don't really understand(or at least I don't think I understand) the concept of gesture and how to practice it.

Do I seem to have the right idea?I know I should have posted a picture with more than one but I'd been working on paper and I don't have a scanner and I don't own any light bulbs so I can't take a good picture and I'm about to sleep so this is the best I could do on short notice.

Also how am I supposed to practice this? I can't really tell what all I'm doing wrong, am I supposed to just keep doing it until it looks right?

>> No.2220264

>>2211554
I guess there are two forms of crits here. The first crit is pointing out the faults in a drawing. While the other is to tell the artist what s/he should study. I find it odd that a group of anons refer the spoon fed, "Tell me whats wrong" kind of crits. I understand how useful those kinds of crits are, but wouldn't their spoon fed form of crit be solved if they just studied?

>> No.2220310

Do I really need those viewfinder for beginner excercises?

>> No.2220381

>>2211554
I'm having trouble blending in Photoshop. Well, I can blend, but I can't get it fine enough where it looks like a very gradual gradient. I'm trying to find out how to make the change in colour/shading seamless, if you know what I mean.

>> No.2220487

>>2220264
spoon feeding is the most retarded term ever come up with.
on other boards, 1 obscure image is posted, and you ask its source, "im not spoon feeding you"
come on dude, the file name is _0034 or worse yet, a 4chan image name, so that's gone, the image has no identifying text, and a reverse search turns up god damn boats, if you know what the image is fucking tell us. fucking /a/ and one page threads piss me off so much.

on the topic of crits, if someone needs a crit they are welcome to post it here, as it would fall in as a general question, id try to tell you what to do and where i see things wrong.

>>2220310
if the exercise tells you to use one, use one, swallow that pride you have, you are a beginner and are fucking shit at proportions and being able to judge distances.

>>2220381
dont make a totally hard edge, add some softness to it, you will never get a cant tell it was painted smooth gradient with a hard round unless you are willing to go VERY small.

>>2220252
watch proko gesture for the technical explanation, he is good at that, but fuck me i could never see how his gestures could be applied to a drawing, and when he critted gestures, all i was asking was HOW THE FUCK DO YOU PUSH IT MORE AND STILL USE IT

proko can fuck off after the overall explanation, after that grab vilppu's gesture video, because he shows you how to gesture and get a drawing out of it, the one on prokos channel may be good but im refering to an hour and a half long video he did.

>> No.2220495

>>2220487
So should I stick with Vilppu over Proko? I downloaded a lot of his videos just the other day but I haven't gotten around to watching any yet.

>> No.2220508

>>2220495
i like proko for his gesture explanation, so far its one of the better ones, i like vilppu for using them in practice.

there are other people who came here who said other names of people who got them to get it... i largely see gestures as something you dont understand till you understand it... and that image you posted, that ain't fucking gesture.

>> No.2220552

What's the difference between Intuos 4 and Intuos 5?
Is Intuos 4 the same lineup as Intuos Pro, or did the rename the older models as well? I am thinking of upgrading from Bamboo, and google offers no clear explanation.
Thank you.

>> No.2220764

>>2220552
the intuos 5 became the intuos pro when Wacom rebranded their bamboo product line, renaming the bamboos as intuos.

The key difference between the original Intuos 4 and 5 is the tooth of the tablet surface. The intuos 5 is grittier to mimic the feel of paper and wears down pen nubs very fast when compared to the 4.

>> No.2220798

i've always loved the ken sugimori artwork for pokemon. i'd love to figure out how to recreate it. does anyone have tips?

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/thumb/3/39/007Squirtle.png/250px-007Squirtle.png

>> No.2220856

>>2220508
>that ain't fucking gesture.
That's what I thought. What's wrong with it?

>> No.2220915

What's the attitude towards western artists on Pixiv?

>> No.2220942

- Do you think it would be interesting to stream/YT your progress regularly as a beginner?
- Are there any other platforms than Twitch to stream drawing?
- What streamers do you follow?

>> No.2220948

How do you reconcile "thinking in shape" and "thinking in form"? Which one is more important? It seems like those artists who talk about form are generally better imaginative drawers while those who think in shape draw better observationally.

I've seen a host of conflicting tutorials, sometimes from the same people, where they show you method in which they simplify a drawing down to flat shapes, while in others they simplify it down to 3D forms. I realise both of these interact, it seems like the best artists, simplify their drawings down to 3D forms and then place the flat (but accurate) 2D shapes on top of those forms. However, as a beginner which one is better to focus on?

>> No.2221066

>>2220764

Anyone know about anything about the new intuos?

https://store.wacom.com/us/intuos/

They look like painted up Intuos Smalls.

>> No.2221112

>>2221066
The ugliest wacom tablet ever made. Those dots are so not necessary.

>> No.2221132

>>2220948
>How do you reconcile "thinking in shape" and "thinking in form"? Which one is more important?
They're both just tools to help you draw. I wouldn't call one more important than the other.

Since they're different tools, they can give you different results depending on what's most important for a piece. Thinking in terms of shapes can get you a strong, graphical design, while thinking in forms will help sell the illusion of 3D space on the 2D picture plane.

Ideally you'd mix and match and use both tools with most pieces you work on. If you notice how Vilppu approaches drawing the model, he'll sometimes use 2D shape measuring techniques to place all of his landmarks on his page. He then uses 3D form construction with those landmarks as his initial guide. You'll also see him analyze the figure flipping seamlessly between 2D and 3D mindsets. I'd say you should aim to do something similar.

>However, as a beginner which one is better to focus on?
Shapes first IMO. It's the easier and quicker way to get your observational skills up to par, and to practice your mark making. Being able to conceptualize and rotate complex 3D forms in your mind takes a while to develop, and until you can do that readily you won't be able to draw convincing forms.

Once you have your observational skills down (as in you can draw what is in front of you accurately), move on to study perspective, then construction. You'll then have the basic framework for working with forms. Try to mix and match shapes and forms in your studies and personal projects. They are different tools for solving different visual problems, it isn't really an either/or kind of thing.

>> No.2221143

>>2221132

Thanks. That was really helpful. You articulated perfectly what I kind of thought might be the case but its good to see someone spell it out explicitly.

Interestingly (without prior knowledge) I picked form over shape and have been working tirelessly on perfecting primitives in any orientation/perspective in 3D space. So I guess I was feeling so uneasy about this issue as my shape skills are lagging so far behind. Time to into shape for a while. Thanks again. ^_^

>> No.2221331

>>2220487
How do I go about making one? I've watched a few videos and still have no fucking clue.

>> No.2221348

How do I be more patient? I really enjoy painting with acrylic and brushes because I can paint a tree with 2 strokes and I can finish a painting in less than an hour... but when I try to use my color pencils to draw I get bored and tired very easy cause it takes too much time to fill an empty area. pls help

>> No.2221407
File: 93 KB, 500x646, 26m.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

where can i download sai again¿
i want to use it for lineart

>> No.2221409

Where can I find a metric assload of female pose references? Specifically I'm looking for images which exaggerate certain body parts with perspective or the actual pose such as boobs, hands, legs, hips.

>> No.2221418

>>2221409
Porn videos.

>> No.2221439

>>2220798
specifically what do you want to recreate? the style that leads up to the decisions on how to make pokenom, or just how that specific one came about?

>>2220856
this is really fucking hard to answer, gesture is something you won't understand till you understand it. what you did was rudimentary construction.

if you have charcoal, get a paper towel, and just fingerpaint people in motion, and try and capture the movement, its one of the ways that vilppu does gesture and is probably the one that will help you grasp the concept the easiest.

>>2220915
if i just had to guess based on xenophobia, not good... but your art stands above all else, and if you are good you are excepted everywhere with next to no exceptions.

>>2220942
youtube has live video feeds, a few websites will host a webcam and broadcast it to everyone involved, though these are usually porn orientated.

i have considered videotaping everything i do as i reteach myself the skills i lost and uploading it... but i'm a lazy motherfucker and that's a fairly big file size to upload, not to mention lighting.

also, on twitch make sure you are doing game related art, otherwise you may get cut off, not sure what the eula is anymore so it may allow it.

>>2220948
shape is a constraint for the form, at least that's how i see it.

>>2221331
you have to tell me which question it is you are responding to, if its viewfinder, piece of paper cut out in proportion to what you are drawing on, if its gesture, see above, and if that's something you dont want to do, draw the human as a stick figure without a straight line. you are trying to capture the movement, feel the form, whatever the people tell you, its something you dont understand till you do and it clicks.

>>2221348
overhand method like watts, this way you are able to shade a larger area at one time.

>>2221409
art reference search on kat brings up a 10gb file, peers search reference brings up a fuck ton too.

>> No.2221442

NEW THREAD

>>2221441
>>2221441
>>2221441
>>2221441
>>2221441

this should be the bump limit post.

>> No.2221458

>>2221348
It is probably the easiest to improve your patience if you use only a pen and shade with it to get the local value right (which can change quite a bit over space) and care about getting it look good.

The instructions of how to shade are in exercise 1 in "The Elements of Drawing" by Ruskin on Gutenberg for that specific method. But you don't need to use the tools used there. Anything works as long as it lets you draw a lot of fine black lines.

>> No.2221630

i want to be able to create the same coloring.

>> No.2223025
File: 207 KB, 1920x1080, maxresdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I wanna git gud at cross hatching, are there any good videos or books on how it's done?

>> No.2223032

>>2223025
Alphonso dunn is pretty baller.

I got into using pen and ink because of him.

https://www.youtube.com/user/LighterNoteProd

>> No.2223507
File: 519 KB, 926x768, 1441043594536.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Who's the artists behind this study and where can I find more of his inks? a RIS gets me nothing of value

>> No.2223733

Baltimore has this free art museum with shitloads of sculptures from ancient rome, and the renaissance. Is it worthwhile to go there and study them? Do people actually do this? I'm broke and can't afford figure drawing lessons.

>> No.2224055

>>2217007
Streams
Picarto and livestream

>> No.2224157

>>2219182
name?