[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 44 KB, 589x330, 1433859863207.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2128582 No.2128582 [Reply] [Original]

Anyone else annoyed with the lack of Art courses in high school?

I don't remember much from my high school days aside from doing an art class or two, but now that I look at some online high school diploma organizations, they offer at most 2 art classes. One that isn't even taken seriously.

Do you think students should have more options given to them in high school? Possibly more thorough art courses and introducing them to art history, as well?

>> No.2128585

High School art classes are a fucking joke. Always underfunded and populated by incompetent teachers

>> No.2128586

>>2128582
I had a lot of opportunity in my high school. Every semester there were two different programs with different focuses. After I took them all the teacher let me just start doing my own work along with several other students senior year.

>> No.2128683

>>2128582
Most teachers aren't of a skill level where they can teach art properly, and most high school students don't give a shit about art. And then art is seen as not being an important subject compared to things like the sciences, so it gets underfunded.

It's not a surprise then that there are few classes and they are worthless. I remember being the only one in the class who was genuinely interested in pursuing art, 90% of the other people were there just because they thought it would be an easy A, and the rest were girls who liked anime and Mucha and drew derivative things in that style.

I don't think it's a big deal though. I mean, there's so many resources online that a serious student can learn on their own pretty easily. It's what I did, I used the forums back in the day and would do studies and read about stuff and focused on my own development rather than the assignments in class which were pretty bullshit.

Also, there was a tiny bit of art history in my art class, so I think it is in the curriculum right now. It wasn't the best but all things considered it covered the major movements and artists on at least a cursory level (their name and a couple facts, and then one artwork per artist).

>> No.2128701

As a just graduated senior, my high school art teacher was shit.

For 3 years I stagnated because she offered no constructive criticism on anything, leaving only comments like "Beautiful!" or "Gorgeous!" and I hardly ever received a grade that wasn't a 100. I had students tell me i helped them more than she ever did. Because beyond the requisite semester of art class in our first year, she never actually fucking taught anything beyond that. Just "Hand in this assignment with x deadline"

I get so mad just thinking about it.

>> No.2128705

>>2128701
>I stagnated because she blah blah blah
You should not place blame on others for your own development. Be critical of your own work in the absence of others. Seek information yourself instead of expecting it to be provided. Learn on your own, make your own observations and discoveries. Draw and paint on your own accord, not because someone tells you to. You have no one to blame for your stagnation except yourself. Accept it and move on.

>> No.2128710

>>2128582
You thank state school boards for that one. I'm from one of those high schoolsthatl installed an olympic size swimming pool and an astroturf football field in the same year, but the AP art students had to buy all their own supplies and pay a "lab fee"

Our sports teams sucked, too. On the other hand at least two of us in AP Studio Art scored in the top 10% nationally with our portfolios, but it's not like anyone but our art teacher gave a fuck.

I completely understand why no one cares, though. There is no way to relate to that. Lots of kids sit on a bench or cheer along and they feel apart of something when the team wins. I don't know many people who can have a serious conversation about art, though.

Either way, I stole a ton of fucking art supplies when I left.

>> No.2128712

>>2128705
Hard lesson to learn, but this is 100% true.

I think everyone goes through that stage at some point in high school, though.

>> No.2128714

>>2128705
Of course I accept it as my own lack of drive, I'm not blaming her for everything. It was easy to be in autopilot and earn the highest grade without any effort and eventually it just became whatever. Eventually I realized I had been stuck in the same place for a while and sought out my own resources for learning and improving.

BUT. It is also the teachers job to help nurture that incentive in a student and allow them to grow by pushing them out of their comfort zone and realizing they can improve and hand out more challenging coursework to those who can handle it. It was the same for everyone, at every skill level.

>> No.2128742

I took 700 hours of art class in high school. It was a complete waste of time.

>> No.2128773
File: 11 KB, 645x773, 1410505619710.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw going to a school slowly overgrowing with jiggaboos (thanks obama)
>all of the niggers make fun of art and bullshit their assignments and draw crude or offensive cartoons instead, and turn them in
>art teacher ignores most students because they are terrible, almost looks dead in his eyes every time class begins
>even though I drew shitty anime art in highschool, he liked me
>get invited into his senior class early and he is happy with all of the nice, studious white people who care about art and decency.
>he's a really chill teacher

>> No.2128775

I actually had a really good art teacher in high school. He would give real feedback on whatever you were doing and when he wasn't helping anyone he would just talk about life and shit, and was actually pretty insightful.

There was also another art teacher at my school who was obsessed with Michael Jackson and was unhelpful as fuck. She was a dumb bitch and I skipped her class half the time.

>>2128705
I mostly agree with this, but why not get mad at a shit art teacher? They're supposed to be teaching you. Its kind of silly to say you aren't allowed to be mad at them for not doing their job.

>> No.2128779

>>2128775
>I mostly agree with this, but why not get mad at a shit art teacher? They're supposed to be teaching you. Its kind of silly to say you aren't allowed to be mad at them for not doing their job.
I dunno, anger really has no value. All it does is drain you emotionally. I think it is also important to not place blame on others like that as it shifts responsibility away from yourself. I can understand why you would get angry, but I still think that if you can let go of those feelings you will be better off. Also, it's a high school art class, so is not something you should be expecting a high level art education from. If you were paying out of pocket for a fancy art school and that was the treatment you got, then I think anger would be a more likely response from most people.

I'm not saying they aren't allowed to be mad, I'm just saying it is better to try to let go of that and focus on yourself instead.

>> No.2128782

>>2128779
Yeah, true. You're probably better off not dwelling on it. But at the same time, I think its worth trying to get actual art teachers and art funding into high schools instead of just saying, "eh, fuck it, that's just the way it is."

>> No.2128784

>>2128582
I had a really good art teacher in high school until he was shot and killed by an homophobe. Then he was replaced by some other slob who made us do useless barely-art-related shit until I graduated. Shit sucked.

>> No.2128787

>>2128683
My art teacher thinks cross hatching is just scribbling and making random lines and his construction is shit.

>> No.2128788

>>2128782
Oh it's worth trying to improve the system sure, but you should also be able to look at it objectively and recognize that in its current form it is not a very good place to learn art (with the rare exception of a great teacher).

>> No.2128824

I went to an art magnet high school. It was mostly useless. I knew more about perspective than one of my teachers.

>> No.2128829

>>2128683
This was kinda my experience like this 3 years back.
Learning on your own had turned the tables for me, even the teacher was impressed.

>> No.2128851
File: 57 KB, 631x1024, dick_flyer_2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2128773
Fucking white people lol
Doesn't surprise me at all that you were drawing weaboo shit and you still made it into his more "advanced" class. Get so used to not really trying then you wonder why you'll never be like the chinks and the spics.

See >>2128824
Same exact attitude the white kids had in my art classes and they ALWAYS sucked.

>> No.2129129

I wasn't an amazing artist in hs but I'd always try and use cool perspectives and colors with every piece I did and my stupid washed up hippie teacher wouldn't give to shits about any of it, but would lap up all of the generic pictures (tripppy mushrooms, fuck the government / religion) pictures the fat fuck next to me drew. It was a little discouraging at the time.

>tl;dr: fuck high school art classes

>> No.2129294
File: 581 KB, 896x672, 1x6_Charlie_Nazi_hat.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2128851