[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 413 KB, 511x727, Hummingbird.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2107759 No.2107759 [Reply] [Original]

Hello /ic/.

I've been wondering in which order should i practice the fundamentals because I'd argue some of them are harder to do with others lacking.

http://www.davidrevoy.com/article242/what-skills-are-needed-to-draw

Heres is some of the fundamentals I'm talking about.

And I'd argue that lighting and color etc. would be very hard if you can't even do a proper drawing with lines.
And style is compleatly out of the way if you lack all the others. So you see where I'm getting at?

So my question is; in which order should i practise the fundamentals?

My own oppionion would be:

Linework, Perspective, Proportions, Anatomy, Lighting, Color, style and so on...

Hope you can help me.

thanks in advance

>> No.2107790

Why do you care about linework, it's pretty unimportant and one of the "easy" things. Depending on what kind of style you're going to paint in later on, your line-work might not even matter at all. I'd focus on the hard things like perspective, proportion and anatomy first.

>> No.2107791

Fundamentals:

Main is drawing perspective, volume, forms in space, just with angles and so on.

Second is light.

Third is color.

Most important is first. All of them are differents way to make construction and ilusion of depth.

Forget about anatomy, style and so on as fundamentals.

>> No.2107795

>>2107790
Well linework because I've found myself doing pretty badly when it comes to sharpening up my sketches for painting. Not linework like Anime or Cartoons linework but for my sketches. :)

>> No.2107796

It's monotone and questionable if practicing lines is really helpful. Lines come with experience.

I hate giving advice because there are so many approaches that I'm not confident in giving any, but hear me out.

When I started to get serious about art I spent a lot of time thinking about fundamentals because that word gets thrown around a lot. It's really overwhelming if you think too much about it.

Perspective is obviously the most important to start drawing your imagination and it's the one fundamental skill I would give a special place above anything else.

As some advice I can recommend thinking about the work you want to create and think about what you need to learn and to what extend to create it. When you learn fundamentals don't forget to look at the big picture.

>> No.2107797

>>2107790
I think you mean linework as part of a finished piece, not drawing? Because drawing is extremely important.

>>2107795
I'm not sure what you mean by "sharpening"
Are you working digitally? That could hinder you if you are just starting out.

>> No.2107798

>>2107759
>And I'd argue that lighting and color etc. would be very hard if you can't even do a proper drawing with lines.
You can do a full colour painting without ever drawing a single line on that canvas.

>> No.2107800

>>2107797
OP writes 'linework' when he means drawing. That or OP is stupid. Apply Ockham's Razor.

>> No.2107803

>>2107759
I just answered something similar in the beginner thread

>>2107751

Otherwise, being able to use vanishing points is always a good start for some drawings from imagination.

If you like to draw portraits/what is in front of you, you will have a good time. People who like to draw from imagination need to take a different path to learn.

Anatomy should be learned seriously only very late except you have a gift for it. The human body is the most complex object to draw and too complex for beginners to get right.

>> No.2107805

>>2107800
Or OP is a beginner who sorts things out and you are the idiot for not realizing it. Apply Occam's Razor.

>> No.2107806

>>2107805
Or I am the idiot, go figure.

>> No.2107808

>>2107795
Then I don't really know what you mean by linework.

What people usually mean by linework is stuff like e.g. how smooth/perfect your lines look, how well you can control the thickness/thin-ness, et cetera. That's all detail stuff that's not really very important and easy to learn (and a lot of it just comes with practice either way)

>> No.2107810

>>2107808
>(and a lot of it just comes with practice
Everything comes from practice, what the fuck are you talking about?

>> No.2107813

>>2107810
It comes from practice in the sense that if you just do other stuff, you will reach a sufficiently high level at it without working on it specifically.

The "hard" stuff does not just come with practice, you need to deliberately work on it.

>> No.2107816

>>2107813
Then use the word experience.

>> No.2107821

>>2107808

What i mean is building a confident line no chicken scratching etc. So when you are done with your rough sketch you can refine it with a solid line work and then get ready for the final painting.

>> No.2107822

>>2107821
whatever, don't worry too much about that, just do sketching for now. That's really sufficient to improve in the "hard" areas like perspective. If you've drawn for a while and you still think your linework is sub-par, you can spend some time improving it, but I doubt it'll be necessary.

>> No.2107829

Basic shapes
Basic shapes in perspective
Basic shapes in light

Then relate that shit to whatever you want to draw.

>> No.2107878

>>2107805
>Or OP is a beginner who sorts things out and you are the idiot for not realizing it. Apply Occam's Razor.
Not realizing what? That he means drawing when he writes linework? Read the fucking posts again. Now apply a razor to your wrists. Worthless asshole.

>> No.2107897

>>2107829
Okay, I really like the idea of doing the shapes thing. :)

But this may be an out of this world stupid question what are the basic shapes and when do we leave basic and become advanced shapes? o.O

Like balls, cubes pyramids are basic shapes i know, but what about coghweels bottles etc. What would you recomend to pratice with? Just the four simplest shapes or more advanced shapes? :)