[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 310 KB, 1280x1024, 1410807512845.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2104972 No.2104972 [Reply] [Original]

Does anyone of you have ADHD? How does effect your ability to relax, concentrate and draw?

>> No.2104976

It's shitty I have concentration/procrastination issues and I compensate by making sure to get enough sleep and drinking a shitload of caffeine.

>> No.2104991

>>2104972
I can't draw for more than an hour without thinking of something else. Neither can I study for more than an hour without thinking of something else. But I think that it's just a matter of discipline. I personally think that a lot of people use ADD or ADHD as an excuse for not being disciplined enough to do something.

>>2104976
Does drinking caffeine really help? Because I'm pretty sure that caffeine only makes you more agitated and less able to concentrate.

Also: inb4 "You have trouble concentrating? Then maybe you should go to a concentration camp."

>> No.2104992

Excuses are a promise of repetition. You can change, you can do it, start to drop these excuses faggots

>> No.2104993

I just got diagnosed with ADD a few months back, and I'm quite a bit older than the average person on these boards.
I don't think I actually have ADD, though, but something else that gives similar symptoms. No matter, the ritalin is better than nothing.

>> No.2104996

>>2104991

Drinking caffeine definitely helps for me. Though I might be more lazy than just having a minor ADD issue.

>> No.2105003

no person in here for sure or any person you actually know in real life has ADHD. Whomever says they do its just a lazy shit that's looking for an excuse not to study.
"Oh yeah I tried to study but I can't I have ADD" ...

JUST DO IT FAGGOTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuHfVn_cfHU

>> No.2105010

>>2105003

ADHD is an actual condition along with depression anon and can have a deep effect on a persons motivation and day to day activities.

It's not just a matter of DO IT FAGGOT.

>> No.2105016

>>2104972
It's not ADHD, it's lack of discipline.

>> No.2105020

>>2105010

I've been with depression for the past 6 years of my life. That never really stopped me from painting.I've been clincally depressed as well.I've taken meds for it.Don't come around to preach to me about it. If you're that weakminded to not be able to focus than "making it" is not possible for you. Just stick with being a hobbyist and don't even bother studying because nobody would care about ur art quallity.Problem solved.

>> No.2105021

>>2104972
i don't have adhd but i do have attention problems due to depression/anxiety or whatever you want to call it. what helps me is to break the task up into heaps of little steps which i then do really fast and sloppy, but overall it comes out k.

but i don't need to work to any set style so i can do my own 'loose' thing with impunity, if i was to work in some kind of production line i think i'd be in trouble.

i'm not really a pro though the only thing you might of seen of mine is a fan art of harley quinn which they picked up and sell as posters.

>> No.2105023

>>2104972
I do. Makes it fucking hell. Constant anxiety when I draw, that pulls me away to do other shit to ease it. Talked to a doctor, been on 50mg Vyvanse for 2 months and my work has skyrocketed. Its not some crazy focused high like everyone seems to pretend or actually feel, for me it just brings me to normal. I can sit there and actually spend five or ten minutes withour having to look at a different tab or something. Getting it dealt with changed my life.

Before that, it was like attempting to read when youre tired. Fuck up, realize you werent paying attention, repeat ten times til you just give up.

>> No.2105026
File: 959 KB, 3264x2448, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2104972
Pic related.

>> No.2105027

>>2105023
And to those saying its lack of self control and discipline, youre missing the point. Self control isnt even on the table anymore. Procrastination is one thing, but realizing only after a few minutes that youve fallen off track, repeated A HUNDRED TIMES is disheartening to say the least. If you bite your nails or have a habit like that where you dont realize it until youve already been biting them for a little while, that's how it goes.

Coincidentally, that habit I've had since I was a kid actually went away as soon as I got treated. And conversations got a lot easier to manage too. I'm much less agitated, or rushing to speak again. I can actually hear people out and wait my turn now. Its nice.

>> No.2105029

>>2105020
Has depression a psychological disorder
Hates ADHD people. >>2105023

Fuck. Lol.

>> No.2105037

>>2104972
Thank you for introducing me to the fantastic art of Jim Murray, OP. That was a fucking great comic.

http://www.dota2.com/comics/are_we_heroes_yet/

>> No.2105152

>>2105003
I was actually diagnosed by a neuropsychiatrist with ADHD about 14 years ago. Have repeated the diagnosis to get secondary opinions from new doctors + to see if there is updated knowledge in the medical field about every 3-4 years. Have also tried all kinds of various medications.

Still managed to be successful though, wrapping up my masters degree right now, financially successful enough to have no debt and be independent. Just gotta learn where your strengths are. Prefer to do work that is energetic and fun or immersive and meditative and doesn't require as much discipline when possible, learn to power through the rest. Learn to self-medicate with caffeine or whatnot (some people say pot works for them, sure as hell does not for me) if nothing better is available. Learn to eat healthy and take jogs.

>> No.2105200

ADD is a shit name for the disorder, because the lack of maintained attention on some subjects goes hand-in-hand with hyperfocus on others. It's not a deficit of attention at all; it's a surplus of it that keys off of a higher stimulation dependency than the non-ADD baseline.

The pop-culture definition most people have of it is highly inaccurate and really fucking facile. "hurr durr if you're supposed to have ADD why did you spend 10 hours straight writing a 20 page paper for a 5 page assignment without noticing the excessive length, passage of time or the fact that people need regular intake of food to live?" Because it was a highly interesting topic to me and stimulation dependency is THE FUCKING CORE of ADD. That's where the inattention and forgetfulness comes from - if whatever you're doing doesn't provide enough stimulation, your brain is literally unable to cope and nopes the fuck out to find something that will provide enough stimulation in an attempt to bring you up to the stimulation baseline other people are at naturally.

Procrastination is a choice. ADD is out of your control. Procrastinators know what they're supposed to do and don't do it because they don't want to and the negative consequences have yet to outweigh it. ADD means you don't even consider what you're supposed to do because your brain has thrown it out in exchange for something shinier.

Also, since I'm already in full bitching mode, ADD and ADHD are not interchangeable and it's stupid to act like they are. Those with ADD seek stimulation internally, thus the spaciness. Those with ADHD seek stimulation externally, thus the impulsivity. It's the same tunnel vision that blocks out everything but the source of stimulation, but for ADD that's the outside world and for ADHD that's the ramifications and consequences of their actions.

The sustained ignorance on the topic and self-diagnosers who try to use it as an excuse for their laziness are a fucking cancer.

>> No.2105214

>>2105200
Is sleeping procrastination

>> No.2105216

When Im doing my own stuff from my head it's not too hard to sit down.. but when it's like a study?

fuck my discipline/willpower goes out the window.

>> No.2105217

>>2105214
Taking a nap because you don't want to do a thing is basically a cornerstone of procrastination.

>> No.2105255

>>2105217
does that even legit work for anyone? I don't think I'm physically capable of napping as means of procrastination, because unless I have something to distract my mind (like browsing the internet) I'm gonna continue feeling guilty about procrastinating.

>> No.2105269

>>2105255
Depends on how good you are (or bad, in this context) at avoidance behavior. Some people can because their instinct is to flee the guilt rather than dwell on it. Sleep is one way to flee.

>> No.2105272
File: 244 KB, 1188x621, freeedommotherfuckerdoyouhaveit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You dudes should buy this app, it's only $10 but what it does is that it completely shuts off your internet (unless you restart, and that's annoying you know) for how many hours you set it to. No more tabbing off to /ic/ after 5 minutes of drawing.

>> No.2105288

>>2105272
I use this too. Well, not that app exactly, I implemented something that works exactly like that in 10 lines of bash like 5 years ago or so. Only way I ever get anything done. I only block the procrastination-sites though, not all internet access.

I didn't add any function to unblock, so when I want to access those sites I need to manually edit my /etc/hosts (the windows equivalent would be the registry), which makes it very unattractive to procrastinate. And then after 15-20 minutes it gets blocked again.

>> No.2105291

>>2105288
only drawback with this approach is that it encourages finding new websites to procastinate on, which I then start using more and more (with some excuse for it being useful) until I admit to myself I'm procrastinating and add them to the filter. Then the cycle begins anew.

Still overall boosts my productivity though, and I couldn't be productive entirely without internet.

>> No.2105338

>>2105200
This waa really great to read, thanks anon.

>> No.2105347

>>2105291
Kind of off-topic, but I'd be interested in knowing what the the most interesting sites you have found through this method are.

>> No.2105350
File: 30 KB, 1920x1080, maxresdefault[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>lazy people who claim to have a mental disorder so they can't focus
>they don't do the candle meditation every day to help your brain focus more and more so you can work for many hours straight in full conentration mode

it simply works

>> No.2105352

>>2105350
I think meditation is a waste of time.

>> No.2105355

Just find what works for you instead of making excuses

I usually just nap or fap when I lose concentration and willpower

>> No.2105357

>>2105338
No problem. I have a whole separate rant on how the poor and innacurate understanding of ADD and ADHD that's disseminated throughout our society has directly lead to both drugging a bunch of misdiagnosed children out of their minds for the crime of being loud, excitable, and flighty - so, basically acting like the fucking children that they literally are - and a bunch of undiagnosed adults who've lived their whole life functioning at half their potential or less because they don't associate their symptoms with a correct understanding of the disorder.

Oooooh but the sheer ignorance that surrounds ADD to the point where there are fucking medically trained doctors who buy into that shit makes me salty as hell.

>> No.2105362

>>2105355 THIS
FAP will clean all the stupid trash in your brain ASAP. Like re-installing a fresh OS on a PC. The downside it's that it will consume quite a bit of energy, but those afterward minutes of illumination and clarity of mind are priceless to make important decisions.
Master your dick power and you'll master life and universe.

>> No.2105396

>>2105347
Nothing *that* interesting. Not at home right now, but from memory (random formatting to circumvent 4chans spamfilter):

tvtropes, snopes, reddit, 4c/han (and some 4chan-likes, 2 chan, 8 chan, kraut chan, guro chan and whatnot), hacker news/y com binator, deviant art, tumblr, concep tart, kick starter, you tube, vim eo, the onion, pint erest, zero punctuation, gama sutra, ...

various social media sites, face book, twi tter

various IRC servers, some german-specific sites

A lot of junky sites that have low-tier entertainment on them. Often I don't even bother blacklisting shitty meme sites and such when I learn of them, because they are not actually good enough to provide sustained procrastination potential, but occasionally one is. icanhazcheesburger was one of those, back in the day...

Some sites that I'd be to embarrassed to admit I've used for procrastination

I don't usually put webcomics on there, since those tend to have a small finite amount of content, so at worst they make me procrastinate for an hour or so. If I really need to get my shit together because I'm on a deadline and the webcomic has a lot of episodes, I might temporarily block a webcomic as well, but usually not. sm bc, xk cd, ogl af, pbf etc are not blocked.

When I'm on a super-deadline I sometimes even block gm ail or all internet access.

>> No.2105410

>>2105272
>paying 10 dollars for a program that just take your internet away

how hard is to have self discipline?

>> No.2105413

>>2105410
eh I got a refund anyway and kept it

it is hard

>> No.2105415

>>2105410

Self-discipline is it the only thing there is right now you are lacking to be anything you want to be. You could be the best painter in the world. You could be the best animator in the world. You could be rich. You could be bodybuilder-grade buff. You could have any college degree you want. You could be a comic-con panelist speaking to thousands of fans. You could work as a doctor. You could have a patreon with thousands of patrons.

All just if you have enough self-discipline to spend every waking hour of your life working towards and thinking about your goal.

How hard is it to have self discipline?

There is nothing that is harder.

Admitting this to yourself is the first step to having a little self-discipline.

>> No.2105416

>>2105410
Hard enough that meaningless cell phone games are a 60 billion dollar business, dude.
Why are you even asking this? If self discipline weren't hard as fuck for the majority of the population, we'd all be fit, multi-lingual, versed in several instruments, and all that other shit people make new years resolutions about and repeatedly abandon within a month.

>> No.2105431

i know two people with adhd. my little brother who has no artistic capabilities whatsoever, and my cousin, who can draw anime like stuff basic like a human copier. however i think his adhd is so bad that he doesnt really draw for fun, if ever and it was mostly just a cheap easily available childhood hobby.

im convinced i have to mild diagnosed add but coffee and a finely tuned working space help break that. but then again i cant really break 4 hours a day of drawing so theres that too

>> No.2105434

>>2105416
>60 billion dollar business, dude.
I doubt it's that much. If it is, the bubble is getting ready to ...

>> No.2105459

I like drawing, so it's not a big deal.

>> No.2105640

>>2104972
How was that piece coloured?
What tools were used?

>> No.2105646

>>2105416
>60 billion dollar business
shietttt i know what im gonna start doing

>> No.2105655

>>2105646
mobile games are extremely competitive and only a few of the big players really make the big bucks.

It also has very little to do with making an actually enjoyable game and everything with using psychological tricks to make people buy more of your microtransactions. All the successful games are optimized to hell for addictiveness.

>> No.2105658

>>2105350
Meditation is just glorified napping. It's no different than procrastination.

>> No.2105667

>>2105655
I don't mean to derail the thread but do you have any recommendations for good mobile games that don't require microtransactions to proceed? I like those farming and business sims that i can kinda play casually while taking breaks from drawing. But nearly all of them ask for money.

>> No.2105692

>>2105640
i am also curious about this, anyone?

>> No.2105736
File: 58 KB, 400x458, 1430058960565.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Feels like a bounder while trying to do effort, like if I get tired too easily or burning off early.
A Real pain in the ass trying to learn the fundamentals or improve.

Sometimes it helps my awareness for learning.

>> No.2105882

just, sit down in front of your art and dont move until the sun goes down if you have to. even if you're making small lines every 5 minutes and you feel like you're going crazy just stay with it. it will get easier.

>> No.2105892

>>2105350

I've never heard of candle meditation before. Personally I focus on the breadth around my nostrils, do you know anything on how these two methods differ, or your personal experiences?

>> No.2106158

>>2105350
/x/ here. I do void meditation. It helps me concentrate

>> No.2106166

Anyone that took the time to post in this thread and managed to do it without losing interest and doing something else mid way does not have ADD, op included.

>> No.2106177

>>2105640
What do you mean "what tools"?

It's obviously digital.

>> No.2106184

I've had ADHD since I was a kid, and I've gone through every possible pill routine you can imagine.

People who dont have ADHD its hard to explain to them what its like.. Its not just a matter of discipline its more of a lack of a filter. To an average person they can have a mental sticky note of "go to the store" and thats what they need to do. They can filter out everything else like its white noise. For people with ADHD You can put that "Go to the store" sticky note there, but you cant filter out everything, so EVERYTHING has the exact same priority, so theres a million other sticky notes and some dont even make sense, I've caught myself wondering who makes street lamps what that scratch on the car is from where the fuck does that bird need to be in such a hurry, theres hundreds of things that pop in and out of your head constantly and its hard to keep track of your goal.

Telling people with ADHD they just need to focus or have discipline is like telling someone who is depressed to just cheer up.

That said, short of medication, there are things you can do to manage it.

- Have reminders everywhere of what your suppose to do. I have my tablet and smartphone synced to my daily calender and alarms sound when i have something to do. Its very helpful.

- Art already takes alot of focus so it can be harder for ADHD kids, but the biggest thing I learned to do is get rid of as many distractions as humanly possible. Clean the house, get rid of all trash in the area, close the curtains on the windows, wear sound proof headphones. The more you can isolate yourself into the art the better chance you have at not losing focus and motivation.

Take 15 minute break every hour - two hours WITH AN ALARM SET - do not venture very far from your work station since you will likely not go back to. But take a moment to stand up and stretch relax and breath.

Above all, find a doctor for medication, without meds its exhausting to constantly fight yourself to stay focused.

>> No.2106185

>>2105362
>Those minutes of illumination and clarity afterward
If I could fucking harness that clarity my life would be tremendously better. I've literally had life-changing epiphanies seconds later.

>> No.2106188

>>2106184
>Before that, it was like attempting to read when youre tired. Fuck up, realize you werent paying attention, repeat ten times til you just give up.
This actually goes quite a way toward explaining it, although that means reading into it more. And people who don't care to understand ADHD/ADD won't even try to.

>> No.2106194

>>2105200
The stimulation dependency seems like a pretty accurate description for what I have. I'm always looking for something to take my mind off of the mindnumbing boredom and frustration. Occasionally I find something interesting that I can spend 10 hours a day on for a week, until I burn out, and go back to being a drone.

The main problem seems to be that there's nothing I enjoy doing. Even if I force myself to complete a task, there's no feeling of having been rewarded, or being in a better position than I was before that task.
It's like life is about trying to avoid boredom and frustration, and no amount of discipline makes hard work worth it, because you only have the frustration of working without any kind of reward or "stimulation" at the end.

>> No.2106358

>>2105200
>>2106194
Actually makes me wonder if the ADD has any bearing on the fact that I draw porn. Sex is pretty much the most basic form of stimulation, and is one of the very few things that can provide some long term stimulation and/or motivation.

>> No.2106383
File: 2.95 MB, 360x360, 1404671795947.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I don't know whether I have ADHD or not but I always had problems concentrating. I can sit my ass down and start drawing but no matter how hard I want to avoid it I often find myself browsing some shit mere 20-30 minutes later. Sometimes I even forget that I was drawing at all.

It is also really weird to hear about all these caffeine people because my most productive days always had Coke-induced sugar rush in them.

The most I can do about it, ruining my health with Coke aside, is try to get some background music or podcast but at this point it's merely a requirement and not a cure.

I think social aspect may help too (it did help me in some other activities) but good fucking luck stepping trough your anxiety before other artists since every single fucking one of them has been drawing for years and looks like an old master compared you. Hell, good luck trying to find nearby artists who are ready to go out and draw 4+ times per week in the first place.

>> No.2106409

>>2104972
I use caffine cigarettes and phenotropil to keep me conetrated.

>> No.2106411

>>2106409
I've actually started smoking over the past few weeks, and I'm far too old to start with that shit. However, combined with Ritalin, it does actually give me a slight boost. Probably just going to finish this pack and then drop it, though. Don't want to become a smoker.

>> No.2106426
File: 43 KB, 450x669, 82e0a5dcf5be2ed07dd821d0aab018d6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2106411
Well i actually smoked for 5 years then i quit for one year and it was fucking hell. I mean past two weeks of not smoking i felt fine in terms of addiction but i started to develop some other things like being nervous and paranoical. Like unpleasant thoughts and etc. I started to smoke 2 weeks ago again. Since then i feel pretty fine and concetrated. I would strongly recommend to not to start smoking to anybody who want to use it as a stimulation for their work process. Seriously doesnt worth it.

There some other stuff that i want to recommend you to try instead of smoking.

I found out that i'm highly depended on the internet so every time i need to do smthing i turn off my router so i have to get up and switch it again if i want to use it so making it hard to get from your workplace helps alot. Just try it.

Lack of sleep (like less than 7 hours) is a great distractor too. I learned to sleep for no less than 7 hours and that helped me alot

Healthy food. I avoid eating snacks like chips or something like that. Instead i eat nuts. Also trying to eat healthy food and ocassionaly eat something not really healthy once a week to keep me away from tasty unhealthy things. Learn how to eat properly. Get some chicken + vegitables or rice or pasta. Like 3 times a day in small portions (like 150\200 gramms of food per serving). It may sound lame but you will see the results.

Alcohol. It's purely personal. Small amount of an alcohol actually keep your brain on the top but it's very easy to drink more after that + it doesnt always help to anyone

Gym. Hire a coach it's the best way. Sometimes you need that burst of hormones that will help you to keep concetrated after that. Greatest tool.

Medication. I use phenotropil. I tried alot of antidepressants to see what works for me but phenotropil is great when you have to do shitload of stuff in no time. It does makes you angrier if you will use it on a daily basis for a long time but it also keeps you concentrated.

>> No.2106439
File: 55 KB, 288x409, url.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2106411
>Probably just going to finish this pack and then drop it, though. Don't want to become a smoker.
Sure, anon.
Good luck with that.

>> No.2106529

>>2106184
That's an awesome description of ADHD. Never heard of it before. Thanks!

>> No.2106535

Meditation.
probably the best and the most healthy way to calm down your mind (which is obviously main problem for people with ADD/ADHD). when you calm down, THEN you can work on concentration.

>> No.2106569

>I wanna draw stuff
>start drawing stuff
>go to toilet to take a piss
>suddenly don´t wanna draw stuff anymore

Fucking why.

>> No.2106982

>>2106569
no idea, but if you suspect it's because you have ADHD, go to a psychiatrist and get tested.

>> No.2106988
File: 558 KB, 1512x2165, artflow_201505211626.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2104972
I take adderal. It helps. More with my reading than drawing, but it helps.

>> No.2107014

>>2106569
>don't wanna draw stuff
>go to the toilet
>suddenly wanna draw stuff

Literally my opposite

>> No.2107060

>>2106988
I really wish I could try adderall, but I think it's extremely difficult to get a prescription for that in my country. Ritalin helps, but it's a half-way measure.

>> No.2107070

>>2107060
halfway measure? Ritalin has a very strong effect on me, at least.

>> No.2107075

>>2107070
Yes, but we're not the same person, are we? People react differently to various types of medication.

>> No.2107155
File: 171 KB, 1190x742, bn.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have found that my attention levels are directly correlated with the size of the canvas.

Small canvas? No problem. I can paint paint and paint forever.
I can literally thumbnail for 12 hours straight.

1000 pixels? I'm sweating balls but I can make with hardwork. Maybe I'm capable of working 3 hours straight.

5000 pixels? Fuck it, I'm flipping burgers.

And this includes the zoom tool. I had to remove the hotkey on my keyboard because it drove me insane.

I'm still looking for ways to solve this.

>> No.2107156

>>2107155

kek, exact same thing for me

I fucking love thumbnailing

And yeah, I just taught myself discipline with the zoom tool, I usually stay at 50% and never go past 100%.

>> No.2107287

Drawing actually is one of the few things that can calm me down.

>> No.2107291
File: 564 KB, 2336x1552, 1948 Trucker Torpedo #1 Edit Resize.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2104972
I have AD/HD. aside from taking adderall, which I fucking hate, I usually just try to relax. I split my time up. I draw for like a solid two minutes, then I go browse /b/ or something for another 2-3 minutes. Then I just repeat this process. Also, I find that tea really seems to help me when I draw, it just relaxes me. Lastly, I just practiced a lot, and kinda honed my ability to focus. Using these tactics it doesn't really affect my drawings too much, but sometimes I'll rush into something because I get impatient and then i just end up fucking things up and creating a big mess for myself to fix. Whenever i start to feel like this i try to take a break, so i don't fuck my shit that i've been drawing for literally hours up too bad. I also don't know if this is somehow related to AD/HD, but it takes me years to draw anything circular, and I often give up when it comes to texture because I just can't sit down and focus for the lengths of time that's required.

>> No.2107716
File: 328 KB, 792x1224, page_02.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2106177

nope nigga, it's traditional

>> No.2107717
File: 77 KB, 468x314, autsim-art.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2104972
ADHD is shit
Autism is glorious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsJbApZ5GF0

>> No.2107719

>>2107716
If it were all digital it would have been much faster and much cheaper.

>> No.2107725

>>2105640
>>2105692
Can't say for certain, but I'd guess watercolour/gouache, some ink, and perhaps a coloured pencil or two.

>> No.2107730

>>2107719
and shittier

>> No.2107734

>>2107730
Not really.

>> No.2107735
File: 213 KB, 1092x800, Page1_Pannel_1b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

dan luvisi says he has adhd; he still got gud enough even if /ic/ hates him now
>>2105692
>>2105640
pencils & ink & gouache & acrylics, iirc
jim murray has videos of his process

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF0_dj1N6rI

>> No.2107739
File: 324 KB, 1024x512, 1401180425644.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2107717
it's whatever; networking is terrible unless you can market yourself as a savant

>> No.2110657

>>2107735
>Dan Luvisi
>ADHD
>The undisputed King of Overrendering
Holy shit. The man suffers for his art. I hated him up until just now but he's got some fucking discipline.

>> No.2110767
File: 24 KB, 549x471, 1400276238822.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2104972

I don't have ADHD, but i feel like the internet has given me a condition similar to that.

My concentration is totally gone, and i can't do fucking shit.

>> No.2112920

>>2104972
I can't watch anything for more than 30 mins usually. Movies, films, tutorials. I can't concentrate on one thing for long.

I do my drawings in stages though, most of which I don't even complete.

I am unmedicated.

>> No.2112975

>>2104972
That horn ring bothers me so much. If it's meant to tie it to something, the thin amount of horn left would probably snap if it really wanted to escape. Plus it ruins the strength of the horn overall. What's the point?

>> No.2112998

I wouldn't say I have ADHD, but my mind usually fucks off to random places so I get bored and distracted. Hell, maybe I do, but I just draw cool ass dragons and tanks and shit and imagine them blowing each other up. Draw what you like, even if it looks like a burnt up picture from Hitler's vacation diary, then when you're eased into the mood you can start to do exercises and seriously progress. You're able to have fun with your art if you keep it on the down low. It also helps me to have whatever the hell is on T.V playing in the background. Something I enjoy but wouldn't normally go out of the way to watch, that way I'm entertained but not invested enough to just screw away my art work. When you get bored pounding away at something serious, go get a snack, draw some fucking birds with shades or whatever the hell you're into, that way drawing still seems positive rather than a chore.

>> No.2113013

>>2112998

You see, the problem with ADD/ADHD is that it doesn't matter how much do you like the subject you want to focus upon.
Even if you close him in quite room for a week without any distractions and tell him to do things that he loves the most (AND THAT THOSE THINGS REQUIRES STEADY MIND AND THINKING) he won't be able to do it.

what people with ADD/ADHD usually cando is brainstorming (in drawing that means thumbnailing, gesture drawing or anything that doesn't require spending too much concentration for a long time on single subject) and doing any kind of phisical activity.

>> No.2113017

>>2112920
this, i feel you man, my art folder has fuck all finished drawing in it

>> No.2113021

>>2112998

There is a chemical called "dopamine" in front part of the human brains.
If you demage that part of the brain (in car accident for example) or you were born with demaged, nothing can "save" you except medication.
Tooooons of kids abuse that especially in US (aderal or ritalin) becauase it really helps, but side effect in long therm are not worh it.

>> No.2114004

>>2105362
FAPPING resets my brain though, including any programs, documents, or progress I have completely unsaved. Than I have to wait for the computer to turn again and reboot (A process irl that can take from hours to days)

It's not recommended really.

>> No.2115591

Mine is mainly procrastinating

>> No.2115973

I'm no professional artist, but with adhd, trying to work without adderall/relevant medication can be a nightmare.

What the first anon said about caffeine is valid, though. If you have no prescription of relevant meds, a cup of coffee before doing a practice session will do wonders. Same with having a meal before hand, so I don't have an excuse to break the flow.

All in all, it's a bit of a pain to get started/keep going, but once i'm stuck in the 'aha full speed ahead and no way to slow down now!' zone, I can churn out more complicated work/still lifes. But it's the start up that's the biggest hump.

If i'm practicing by drawing out a still life, I usually start with basic exercises. Blind contours 4 days, doing tiny detailed portions of sections of it, and then finally letting myself tackle the entire thing.

Either way, it's an issue of discipline, and you have to learn to love your usual drawing environment, and if you can't, learn to stand up and move your ass outside to draw. Do you prefer complete silence, or an endless stream of music?

tl:dr - Having ADHD and wanting to git gud at art is a pain in the ass to the highest degree, and it needs discipline to do right.

>> No.2116014

I'm 'borderline' ADD, never cared to diagnose but I know my mind likes to wander and wants constant stimulation, hardly a disease.

I've smoked weed every night for 3 years.
It's amazing just how into something you can get, I could draw all day and forget eating,
I'm on the last of some shitty budget Indica with lower THC, but weed is weed, it does the trick, although you feel less energetic.

Never a side effect, I can remember everything I've studied when I sit down, people who say weed "makes you stupid" are people who can only enhance their own stupidity and will place this blame on external sources.