[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 528 KB, 824x1100, 42074AC6-611A-4DBA-B909-3CB9CCA2B484.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2054788 No.2054788 [Reply] [Original]

Do you guys think it's beneficial to have a section with studies and lifedrawings on your portfolio?

I'm not sure if it's cool, kinda to show clients how seriously you take this stuff and respect the craft yadayada, or if maybe it just makes you look amateurish and studentish.

It's probably good if you are somewhat advanced, and harmful if you are shitty, right?

Anyway, would love to hear some onions on this.

>> No.2054801
File: 10 KB, 300x292, Onion.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2054788

My "onion" on this is that it's not exactly necessary, but adding a study section will probably make it a little more interesting.

Make a potential employer stay on your page a little longer but in a good way.

>> No.2054857

I would believe so. I've been making a transfer portfolio of illustrations and my professor said he would have liked to see more drawing from life.

>> No.2054863

Depends on the client I suppose. Any big business does not like to see that stuff though. Looks like you said. Amateurish and unprofessional. Like this person just got out of art school or something and all they have are studies from classes.

>> No.2054864

>>2054788
If you're using it as a portfolio to clients and want to get work, from what I hear it is just amateurish, and screams "art student". The client doesn't want nude drawings, they want finished illustration or concept art or whatever you do. Show what they want to hire you for and that's it. Keep it simple, don't add extra bells and whistles for no reason.

>> No.2054939
File: 167 KB, 1000x561, trees22.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2054788

In general, no. Of course it depends on who your client is and what you're going for, but most times I'd advise against it strongly.

A huge part of it is just the tendency for college graduates to pad their portfolios with academic pieces to make up for lack of consistent application in finished work, and even if it's unfair that the connotation exists it'd be silly to not try to avoid it. Along with that, if your studies are applied successfully and you've a decent hand at life drawing then have it show through your finished work - no need to bash them over the head with it twice. If your studies look better than your finished work and it's hard to connect the dots between them, then it's kind of misleading in the first place.

If you have an interested client/recruiter and they ask - they do, sometimes - then show them. Keep it in its own section on a website or something. But don't go out of your way to shoot yourself in the foot by putting it in beforehand.

>> No.2055144

>>2054863
>Any big business does not like to see that stuff though.

Then why did Nickelodeon say they wanted life drawings of humans and animals in the recent portfolio call?

>> No.2055156

If i had to make a new portfolio, i'd add some original works that roughly follow compositions, palettes, styles and brush techniques of sargent, ingres or whichever master inspires me at the time. That way it's more of a nod than a study, but still shows you know and respect the masters.

Padding your portfolio with pointless shit is pointless.

>> No.2055163

>Do you guys think it's beneficial to have a section with studies and lifedrawings on your portfolio?

Do you want to draw studies and life drawings for a living? If no then don't put it in, put it on your blog or something.

Hate to say the usual cliche advice but gear your portfolio for the job you want. Just padding your portfolio with things may hurt you in the long run because those pieces may not be as strong.

Lastly people have a short attention span, you give them too many choices they'll get bored, hit hard and strong with just 10 pieces link to other social media sites if you want more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3yzgMQURtU

Has great general portfolio advice as well if you have the time to watch it.

>> No.2055183

>>2055163

god so much talking yet they're saying so little. i can't stand videos like this, feels like nothing but selfpromotion and egostroking.

>> No.2055190

>>2055183
Eh it's their first one, while I agree I hope they fix it in the future.

They do however have points in between though.

>> No.2055283

>>2054857
>I would believe so. I've been making a transfer portfolio of illustrations and my professor said he would have liked to see more drawing from life.

A portfolio for art school is very, very different from a portfolio for paying clients.

General advice from ADs I've heard in the past is: don't put studies in your portfolio. If you must, then at least partition them off in a separate section specifically for that purpose. But most clients don't care to see 'student work.'

If you want to learn what to put in your portfolio, look at the portfolios of artists who are already doing what you want to do, and base your decisions off of them. You'll probably notice that none of them show studies.