[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 99 KB, 1205x663, city_of_deceased_by_merl1ncz-d7ohj73[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2049625 No.2049625 [Reply] [Original]

>Start new illustration thinking "this time will be different"
>Start with a basic idea
>Make changes as I go
>In the end it's a clusterfuck of different light sources and the composition doesn't work anymore because I added so many elements

How can I paint like pic related?

I feel like the artist here knew exactly what he wanted to paint, the camera angle, the color palette and the light sources before he started the painting. How do I do this? How do you get these perfect ideas for camera shots? I just have a really vague idea of what I want to paint in my mind and improvisation leads me to failure. What is his thought process?

I'm sure many of you feel like this too.

>> No.2049633
File: 986 KB, 672x894, topkekito.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP here again, this is painting is mine tho, I started with the trees in the background, then painted the rocks, then the iguana.

As you can see, the composition is fucked up, it doesn't work anymore, because I added elements on the go. Why did I fail here and how can I not repeat this mistake ever again?

>> No.2049639

>>2049625
>>2049633
Your issue seems to be composition. Read up on that, then steal compositions from artists you like.

>> No.2049649

>>2049625

wow that's pretty sweet.

>> No.2049671

>>2049633

You're answering your own question. You keep changing your composition and story throughout the entire process. Stick to your plan, start with thumb nailing in B&W, pick a sucessful one, then don't deviate.

>> No.2049689

>>2049625
Do a thumbnail before starting the actual painting. Select your color pallet during that thumbnail and don't deviate from it until the bulk of the final piece is done. That's what comes to my mind anyway.

>> No.2049696
File: 338 KB, 781x504, ladle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2049633
Adding stuff on the go shouldn't mean adding stuff randomly. This particular composition fails for various reasons (besides what you already said):
>the iguana, which as the only animal in the painting should be a major focal point, is the least detailed part of the painting.
>said iguana competes in size and color with the trees on the left, and kinda with those on the right too. And with the focused rock on the bottom too. And with the water shape on the bottom right too.
>the big rock, the biggest and heaviest element sits right on the middle third of the painting, severing the composition as brutally as possible.
>a focal point is created in the almost perfect center of the painting by the light on said rock. The center is a "dead" point, if you unintentionally charge it with stuff you'll get a mandala effect.
>no element interacts with any other: the iguana is sitting somewhere not well defined. Nothing is going on with the water or the rocks on the bottom. The trees aren't casting any interesting shadows, nor are there any fallen leaves anywhere to be seen.
You can either try to start with putting down shapes, then settling for a concept early on; or you can go with the flow but you should always rethink the whole composition once you add a new element. Definitely don't start rendering everything until you decide, and be ready to repaint everything from scratch. I'm guessing this "on the go" stuff isn't going to go on your portfolio anyways, so it's not like you have to finish it or anything.
And think about interactions. Otherwise the painting will fill artificial and dead. I like to study masters still lives to see how they resolved this problem, since making dead stuff interact with each other is pretty hard.
Pic related, an example of element interactions and focal point size competition done right.

>> No.2049707

I didn't even see the iguana until I saw you mentioning it.
if you want to paint like someone, study their art.
Pretty darn simple.

>> No.2049713

>>2049696
>>2049689
>>2049671

Thank you! This was really helpful, thumbnails help a lot indeed

>> No.2049717

>>2049625

wow this this guy photobash to paint that city? how did he do the perspective and buildings? pretty good

>> No.2049722

>>2049717

it's a apparently a graveyard. after finding the guys work i'm convinced it's a combination of photobashing and painting over. takes away a lot of the respect for me, but he still has some interesting ideas and a very good sense for tasteful light and values.

>> No.2049725

>>2049625
>Start with a basic idea
>Make changes as I go

There's the problem. I'm gonna repeat what was already said. Start with thumbnails to get down the composition and to refine your idea - pick your favorite - blow that bitch up to the desired res - get some snacks - start working.

Remember when you work, big shapes first, details later, simple to complex. It's a whole lot easier to make changes in the beginning than to rearrange the image and lose 5 hrs of work because you didn't plan ahead.