[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 248 KB, 1500x1500, man-with-question-01.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2033878 No.2033878 [Reply] [Original]

old thread
>>2027223

>> No.2033894

>>2033068
everyone at some point wishes to be an "artist" of some kind, whether its music, or pictures, and at least from my experience in school, art fucking sucked till high school, and even then, if i was 2 years younger, i wouldn't have had a good teacher because he retired, i think its this way for a majority of kids in america at least... our library had no art books outside of youtube scattershot "look at this cool thing i can do" but in book form, so if i was young now, i would likely be seeing paid tutorials on gumroad as something worth while... but that's largely because my parents drilled into me that noting worth your time is free... and i didn't learn that was largely bullshit for a long time.

>>2033180
jeff watts, i believe thats what the video can be found under, and various torrent sites, video is about 7-8gb

>>2033343
lead quality is what most people say, if you sharpen it you also get graphite powder after a while so an added bonus.

aloot of the time you will get pencils where the lead inside is broken, and this is frustrating to say the least, but lead holder, you typically don't get shit broken on delivery.

>>2033484
because the only thing you can say about abstract or conceptual art is "i like the way it looks" without going full up your ass pretentious, and im guessing that having the fuck trolled out of them for long enough made them back the fuck up and ask if they really belong here.

i would say at best most of us are beginner to intermediate with a few going toward advanced and expert, and the only people who would do abstract here have no ability to do objective critiqueable.

>>2033732
draw till you like what you make...

>> No.2033929
File: 43 KB, 250x353, tumblr_m7302ls2VU1qc0l8mo3_400.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is there any paint tool sai tutorial that isn't cel shading? My pic related was painted in SAI, I want to learn how to paint like this.

>> No.2033935

>>2033929
you are likely going to get nothing good for english... you will have to gleam what you can off other tutorials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayluqFK2wUU

like i said, you are going to have to piece together what you can.

>> No.2033936

>>2033929
I'm pretty sure the majority of SAI tutorials aren't about cel shading. Cel shading is incredible simplistic, you can even do it in MS Paint. SAI is known for it's paint-like brush engine

>> No.2033941
File: 232 KB, 1583x592, sai.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2033935
Eh, okay. I guess I'll just get PS instead. Any PS tutorial that can teach me paint like that? >>2033929

>>2033936
I'm sorry. I meant hair tutorials, semi "realism" tutorials, cel shading tutorials, each part of the human face tutorials.

>> No.2034012
File: 58 KB, 300x400, 9780823003594.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Can I have a download link for this book? Google/torrent sites gives me nothing.

>> No.2034015

silly question but how to you know which value to pick? i'm always painting back and forth between 2 values and it becomes a spread out mess, if tht makes sense?

>> No.2034019

>>2034012
I have this book, it's fucking atrocious. It only has about 4 pages worth of usable content, which aren't even unique or better than stuff you can find everywhere else. The rest is just a barrage of examples, i.e. the author "showing off", and full-page drawings.

>>2034015
You ever heard of a soft brush?

>> No.2034020

>>2034019
Can I please have it anyway?

>> No.2034023

>>2034020
I have a physical copy. And the useful pages are actually the ones in the preview afair. Anyway I haven't looked at it in years. The entire book is just about copying portraits exactly from live reference, there is NOTHING about anatomy, expression, construction or perspective. The title of the book is hugely misleading.

>> No.2034025

I can't draw jack shit but i love art, animation and pretty much everything releated to it.
Are there any book that i should torrent to just get the basics right?

>> No.2034026
File: 192 KB, 903x347, head.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2034020
I am uploading a ebook copy but you have to start begging, beg like you never beg before, beg like how a person throws away all his dignity and self-worth.

>> No.2034029
File: 693 KB, 2308x3196, Head_Construction_by_Andrew_Loomis.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

okay does anyone have a sheet that shows a sphere with different angles and all of the lines drawn around it? Something like pic related but without the sides cut off

i'm new and while my proportions of the facial features aren't complete crap, i'm having trouble with different face angles and i should probably go back to the very basics and figure out how to draw perfect spheres or at least ones that don't look like play doh blobs

>> No.2034037
File: 154 KB, 1418x878, thanksgoogle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2034026
Nah, took some digging but I just got it.

Sorry to rain in your parade, go choke a dick.

>> No.2034040
File: 13 KB, 337x337, distort2.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2034029
Drawing perfect spheres in perspective is not trivial, you basically have to construct them some way. Spheres in perspectives are always ellipses, but they can sometimes be approximated by perfect circles.

A reference sheet like the one you posted isn't helpful. The correct construction will always be different depending on the perspective context.

Work with boxes first and foremost, that should help you approximate a decent sphere inside the box. Boxes, spheres, cones and cylinders are not equal parts of volumetric construction, the box is of special importance in that it is constructed from 3 orthogonal axes that establish a definitive spatial subcontext in perspective.

>> No.2034042

>>2034037
At least you learned how to finally Google instead of begging, kek.

>> No.2034049

What are some good art communities online? The sticky didn't list much other than DA.

>> No.2034050

>>2034049
permanoobs

>> No.2034054

>>2034049
i havent tried it but conceptart.org may be good

>> No.2034059

>>2034040
my question then is that should i master how to draw a sphere and most angles before i move to anything else or should i just refine it slowly as i go along?

I've been only drawing for 3-4 weeks.

>> No.2034062

>>2034059
Well I would recommend boxes and ellipses over spheres. Most of the time you don't need a sphere, you really only need ellipses along certain directions. Spheres are terrible, they don't have any directionality at all. They're useless, fuck'em.

>> No.2034064

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxDSg-r_8UA

>> No.2034065

>>2034062
how do you construct the head then? With loomis' method anyway

>> No.2034070

>>2034065
I'd recommend going more from the inside out, for example, instead of having a sphere, have the 2 or 3 ellipses on the sphere that are actually relevant for your construction. The outline of a sphere won't help much at all, it's just a 2D ellipse that says nothing, a waste of ink. A box can help clarify the 3 axes of the head to which the ellipses are aligned. There's no point trying to draw an actual sphere, because the head is not spherical. It's just a tool, but the relevant part is really just the 2 ellipses that indicate the extent and orientation of the cranium... which might as well be a rounded box.

>> No.2034096

Do Photoshop artists make their tablet tip pressure harder as opposed to default pressure? I was looking over some videos and I noticed nearly all of them use 100% opacity for the brushes as opposed to lower opacity and a bunch of strokes....thinking about it now, is that how traditional markers and brush paint tools work? I don't really have experience with traditional coloring tools.

This whole time I was painting with opacity settings, and it seems like it took a very long time for certain parts.

>> No.2034101

>>2034096
I think you're confusing some things. Opacity =/= pen pressure. Pen pressure can affect opacity levels (which most people do). The basic and recommended method for digital painting is using 100% opacity with pen pressure on, then blending colors by color picking.

As for traditional tools, markers is really a lot of "low opacity" layers for blending and building forms. Same thing with water colors.

>> No.2034254

Im in the market or some artist markers/ink pens. What does /ic/ recommend to buy?
Im not rich so i don't mind getting fewer materials, but i would appreciate it if they had high quality.

>> No.2034297

>>2034101
>100% opacity with pen pressure on, then blending colors by color picking.
Well you take your opacity down between 30-70% for the blending with color-picking step but yes. And for your initial block in you should definitely be using 100% and, otherwise it'll come out with white spots of canvas showing through.

>> No.2034344

>>2034096
>tablet tip pressure harder as opposed to default pressure
If you're talking about settings for the wacom driver, making the tip harder would require more force from your hand to get the same amount of pigment (assuming opacity is set to be controlled by pen pressure). For the wacom drivers, I've heard most setting that to be softer. This way you don't have to exert as much force to get opaque strokes (with opacity set to pen pressure), and that in turn is less strain on your wrist.

>> No.2034346
File: 87 KB, 924x240, img000018.png.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How would one go about drawing eyes like these? I can't get them right for the life of me.

>> No.2034364

>>2034346
Draw the outline of two lemons. Make the irises out of tall, filled in ovals that only allow about 1/4 of the white to show on either side.

Make a line or two for eyelashes.

>> No.2034372

>>2034254
I like the pentel pocket brush pen. It's like $12 and you can refill it pretty easily.

Also copic sketches or any brush marker are nice. The brush helps blending. You only need a few colors, but I would get a set of gray scales. The markers will probably be like $40-50 for 10

>> No.2034389

Why are deviantartists giving me llamas?
Am I missing some sort of reciprocal thing? I'm just thanking them for the shits and leaving.

>> No.2034391

>>2034389
Some give them as thanks instead of just writing thanks to your comments page. Others do it so senpai can notice them. Then there are those who do it just because they like hearing "thanks for the lama ^___^" from people.

>> No.2034490

>>2033929
make a blending brush, add a line-y texture on it, thats skin. duplicate that with hard opacity for a hair brush.

>> No.2034509

>color picking
heres something I use to streamline the process on SAI
>new brush w/ watercolor or paintbrush icon.
>blending, dilution, and persistence 100
>other settings are whatever you like
>simply drag color to wherever you want
it doesn't use the selected colors, but I havent used color picker to paint in years. its a tedious process that hinders workflow, imo. If you like it, power to you.

>> No.2034547

anyone know good books that cover perspective or color theory?

>> No.2034565

Might come off as a weird question, but I'm looking into buying a new screen, anyone know of any good ones for drawing? As in screens with good colors and stuff?

>> No.2034575

My Hunt 103 nibs don't see to work... I dip it in ink, fill the reservoir tip, but when I try to draw with it, no ink comes off. The tip splits and the ink just sits there. Anyone know why?

>> No.2034577

is there a good video of landscape painting on youtube? i really need to know the process and rendering techniques. thanks!

>> No.2034581

>>2034577
James Gurney, Rob Carey and I think Cathy Johnson did some examples. They're not very much explaining what they're doing, but it's fun to watch the process they go through.

>> No.2034584

>>2034547
perspective made easy - norling
colour & light - james gurney
Those are the most praised here

>>2034565
I think you're better off at a different website with such questions

>>2034575
I don't work with such materials, but what I would try is spraying some paper with water.
See if that gets the ink flowing, I don't know

>> No.2034605

>>2034037
It's not like you're going to use it.

>> No.2034607

If I were to want to build a following, what sites would I use? Tumblr, DA,Twitter... any other important ones to consider?

>> No.2034608

>>2034607
I hear tumblr is the most important. Twitter I don't see much use for. I also hear that instagram is on the rise for artists to show their work.

>> No.2034613

>>2034608
Should I just post everything I make on all sites I use or separate them depending on subject and quality?
Say I post sloppy fan art doodles on tumblr but only publish my serious work on DA to make a better impression. Or do people generally not care?

>> No.2034702

I can't get any books I use to study and practice in my country (Loomis, Bridgman, Bargue, etc) and having the computer turned on every time I'm drawing is fucking distracting. I tried to print all books but it's too many pages. Also, all my references (poses, anatomy) is on PC too. Is there anything I can do to make it less distracting?

>> No.2034830
File: 388 KB, 630x968, 2014-10-22-07-24-42-The-Multiversity-The-Just-2014-001-000.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

When I'll be able to draw from imagination? I feel guilty for using other artists art as reference (I make fan art of comic book characters). I feel like I'm copying them and this makes me hate myself.

>> No.2034831

>>2034830
Don't use other artists for drawing reference, but for costume reference. Use real life references if you can.

Also imagination = being able to construct the base from memory, anatomy and form, proportions, etc. If you can draw the base construction well (with correct proportions and all), then you've got a good portion of your 'studying' done (I'm using this very loosely as one always improves/never stops studying)

And even so, when you're drawing from imagination you'll still use a few references here and there. You're just a lot less dependent on them.

>> No.2034832

>>2034831
>Don't use other artists for drawing reference
Wanting to clarify, if you're feeling guilty then don't.

A lot of people study off of other artists (and real life 3DPD shit), as those artists tend to be on the realistic and less stylized side.

>> No.2034833
File: 1.49 MB, 1920x2951, 3220322-3219753-wolverine+hulk+stab2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2034831
Here's what I do and if you can point my mistakes:

>First, I google the pose (normally full body) I want to draw. Example: Man jumping
>I construct the body with the best of my abilities (trying to keep proportion, etc)
>After that I check Loomis/Bridgman book just to make sure it looks alright/compare their anatomy with mine
>I always give extra attention to the head

>This is the part where I need reference because I don't know how the costume looks like from imagination
>I also don't remember if the character have a big nose or big eyes for example, how his hair looks like, etc. This happened yesterday, I had to use frank cho art to draw wolverine
>Compare my fan art with pro's art
>Feels like shit because I feel like copying.

If I could, I would use real life reference for comic books characters. Also, will I ever be capable of drawing loomis tier faces from imagination? I'm worried I'll always need reference, and I feel limited. Because every time I don't use it looks terrible compared when I do. I can't draw a head in any angle without loomis' books. I can't draw a body without a photo as reference.

Forgive the long text.

>> No.2034848

>>2034096
from personal preference, i stick with 2 profile types, one where you need a light touch, this is for when my hands hurt, and one for a heavier touch when my hands don't hurt... either way, i typically don't have the pressure make a max hardness at about 25% - 50% pressure as i don't like the force i have to use to bottom out a pen.

>>2034254
>>2034372

pentel pocket brush, i believe you can use it as a dip pen without any negative effects in normal ink and its one of the best ink pens you can get.

now... if money is a concern, instead of markers are you against watercolors?

>>2034346
a g-nib and a crow quill (forget what the japanese name of that one is)

>>2034565
what you are looking for here is adobergb and you want ti to be as close to 100% as it can be... most monitors are at best 70%, ips monitors fair better in the 75-85% on average, the really nice ones are 95%+
really, unless you are making money off your art, just look for a damn good monitor instead of the best "Art" monitor as most people don't have art monitors so they will only see your work in the 60-70% adobergb range.

right now... the best monitors are a new asus (i beleive) freesync that is 400-500$, and a benq monitor that gets an impressive contrast ratio (2000:1 when 1000:1 is good) for price.

>>2034575
nibs come with a protective coating, get a lighter and burn that motherfucker... you don't want the thing to glow, you just want to burn the anti rust coating off.

>>2034577
bob ross if only because his videos are easy to find and show you from start to finish... there is also a bob ross coppy who paints better then him but comes off as a person that if you heard they were a pedophile, you would think "yea it makes sense"

>>2034613
i would make one go to place for everything, and than have other areas link back to the everything, but cater to the audience that those places are best known for.

>> No.2034856

>>2034702
an expensive option is to get the sony 12 inch color e reader from japan.

i find e readers far less distracting than a pc.

the less expensive is get a used tablet and kill off the wi fi and load up a good pdf reader on it. a table with no internet is also fairly non distracting.

>>2034833
from what you make it sound, you aren't copying. you are making fan art, but cant remember what the character exactly looks like off the top of your head... i see nothing wrong with it.

>> No.2034866

>>2034833
That's exactly how you're supposed to be using references (not Kr0nz-tier plagiarizing.)

You have nothing to worry about. Gradually the design and character traits will get stuck with you the more you draw them.
>Also, will I ever be capable of drawing loomis tier faces from imagination?
You can with a shit load of practice and many years.
>I'm worried I'll always need reference...
Learn construction more, how to draw it without reference, etc. Like I've said, once you know how to draw the basic figure and what not it's a shit ton more easier to draw anything from imagination. Do more studies, do a lot imaginative works, analyze your problems, study that, rinse and repeat.

Gnomon has a vid featuring David Finch and he kind of goes through the body figure sketchnig and whatever, check that.

>> No.2034892

How do you do it? How do you do it ic? Has enyone ever gotten out of their hole?

>> No.2034900

Does anyone have any experience with the Huion GT-190? I'm looking for an affordable alternative to a cintiq and it seems to be the best I could find. Just gotta see if there are any glaring issues with it.

>> No.2034909

>>2034900
>Just gotta see if there are any glaring issues with it.
Well yeah, it's a hunk of trash

>> No.2034910

>>2034909
oh shit. Like even at the price point? are there better options?

>> No.2034914

>>2034910
A used Cintiq, or a new Cintiq.

>> No.2034915

>>2034914
I meant better options for $450.

Right now I have a bamboo so almost anything will be an upgrade.

>> No.2034928

>>2034915
You can get a used 13HD for $600-700. That's a reasonable investment, not much more than $450.

The UC-Logic Penates 13.3 Cintiq knockoff is announced for April-May at around $300-400, likely distributed by Yiynova. It has a 1080p IPS display and batteryless pen with tilt recognition which will make it the most advanced Cintiq alternative on the market as far as I'm aware. You should certainly wait for that if you really can't get a Cintiq.

Now as for large screen models, the cheap crappy ones just have too many negatives to be worth considering. They can basically only be used for monochrome linework (which, granted, is one of the most challenging tasks on a regular tablet), but they're not really alternatives to a Cintiq in any meaningful way.

>> No.2034935

>>2034928
thanks for the info. I'll for sure be waiting on that UC-Logic.

>> No.2034970

are there any add ons to photoshop that can track the amount of time youve been working on a file?

>> No.2034973

>>2034970
Couldn't you just write it down, look at the file info? Download a timer program?

>> No.2035048

>>2034928
if this is true, wait on it, otherwise, if it gets pushed back for a long time, i think the best monitor on an penable display is monoprices.

>>2034970
>>2034973

check the metadata, there may be a date created and then a last modified that will give you a VERY rough estimate... but other than that it would be a waste of resources, because you are either going to use it to limit yourself, which there are tons of free timer programs, or you are going to use it as a "i did this in one XX hour sitting" beyond the bragging or limiting, theres no use, so im going to have to guess no, though like i said, there may be something in the metadata

>> No.2035054

>>2035048
He could video record himself. That way procrastination can be eliminated.

>> No.2035083
File: 392 KB, 720x1280, Sketch224214225.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Graphic design fag here.

I want to know what's the best tablet I can draw on without a computer, that's relatively cheap?

Made this on my note 3.

Will lurk for program recommendations.

>> No.2035085

>>2034584
thx for the books m8 <3

>> No.2035094

>>2035083
Just read the sticky.

Are iPads, and android tablets bad for digital art?

>> No.2035104

yo, I'm soon getting a new phone, one of those at least 4,5 inch screen ones. Which ones are capable of using a pen with, to be able to doodle on

>> No.2035142

>>2035094
The thing is that you need a digitizer, not just any touch screen.
You can make art fine with pretty much anything,
but if you're looking for something to make eleborate paintings on,
so not all tablets can do it.

iPad and Samsung Galaxy Tab do have a way to get pressure sensitivity or a digitizer in them.
But the drawing programs for them lack, because a tablet isn't as strong as a whole desktop
Digital art does take quite the PC sometimes

Have you considered just getting a paper sketchbook?

>> No.2035150

>>2035142

OK, well to elaborate, my brother will be making me a PC that can run adobe Photoshop, and illustrator(unless I can find better programs).

I want a tablet that I can draw on while at school, or while waiting for stuff, then take the drawings onto my desktop with ease, and then work from there.

I have many paper sketchbooks. I do work in them as well.

Thank you for being detailed man.

>> No.2035151

>>2035104
Do some fucking research yourself, the answer is right above you
Lazy shit

>> No.2035160

>>2035083
>>2035094
>>2035142
>>2035104
The Microsoft Surface Pro 2 is the best tablet for artists, as it uses Intuos-level (iirc) Wacom technology.

>>2035150
The Cintiq Companion is designed for this use case. I'm not aware of any tablets that work as graphics tablets on PCs.

>> No.2035164

>>2035160
Jesus, all that stuff will destroy my wallet ;_;

>> No.2035179

>>2034025
Still waiting for answers

>> No.2035181

Hey guys, just started a new job that is really hard on my hands and right now my hands are hurting pretty bad. I can't make a fist without the pain intensifying and holding my pencil for a few minutes is giving me a feeling like my hand is gonna lock up. Little worried it's gonna screw up things in the long run. Anyone else ever have this type of thing happen? I still get good results from bigger strokes and sketching but anything to do with detailing is painful.

>> No.2035183

>>2035179

>> No.2035184

>>2035085
No problem, I found them in the sticky
Isn't the sticky wonderful

>> No.2035186

Ok, noobie here.

My work is always really sketchy, both on paper and digital. I can't really line really well, my strokes is usually short and wobbly. So, how do I improve on that? Do I need to train my hand or something?
Because I don't think...
>>2027511
>Good lining is a natural skill, one that can't be taught, ever.

And now that I think of it, I do tend to limit myself on a small piece of paper/small drawing. I guess that could be a one of my problems?

>> No.2035277

>>2035181
Do the stretches in here regularly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUyMNyrOHJQ

Don't grip your pencil too tight. Try to hold it so loosely that a gust of wind will blow it out of your hand.

Don't press too hard on your paper.

Do most of your drawing with your arm (shoulder+elbow movement), keeping your wrist in the neutral position. For super small details, try to draw those mostly by bending your fingers. Basically, try to minimize the amount of wrist movement you do.

If something hurts, then you're doing something wrong. Let your hands/arms rest. If you suspect inflammation, take an NSAID. You can also apply ice where you feel the most pain and see if that helps. Lifting weights regularly (with proper form) will also strengthen your hands and the wrists, and make them less prone to pain/injury.

>> No.2035282

>>2035186
Practice drawing bigger, and draw large, continuous lines. It helps to have an easel and very large sheets so that you can stand. Try using the side of the pencil/charcoal for very large strokes.

Try ghosting the line (hovering your pencil above the sheet) to practice before drawing down your actual line. It's just a level of specific motor control that you need to develop, so the best way to do that is to practice it.

>> No.2035315

>>2035186
look at Marko's drawings and try doing what he does

>> No.2035410

Posting on Deviantart groups is an okay practice, but what about pics that don't really have an appropriate group? Like if it's a random anime pic or a wip/lineart.

>> No.2035422
File: 96 KB, 500x504, tumblr_n1cjrcEdbF1s49ybgo2_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

hey so you know the sticky pad animation things? where you draw a picture on each pad then flip it to create an animation?

I did somethng along those lines, I have alot of pictures for the animation and I was wondering if any of you knew of an online thing were I could upload all the pics and then have it animate it for me and make a gif?

>> No.2035437

Hello, please help me!!

I have problems with drawing on large papers. I'm going on an art course and every time I need to do lots of homework (which, of course, is expected). The things I'm currently drawing are not hard to draw on small papers (a4 and maybe even a3) because I have to do compositions with cubes, pyramids and cylinders. But it is required to be made on 70x50cm sheets and this SUCKS BALLS for me, because the image on paper gets distorted as I draw (i draw the shapes too long or too wide on one side because the paper is on my table)
my teacher told me to put the paper on my wall and then draw, but then I can't look at the objects and have to draw from memory, and my wallpaper is textured. I am not allowed to use a ruler, either.

So, I have to make 10 pieces on this format and 10 pieces of textile drawings (a blanket on a chair or something like that), but for each I need about 2-3 hours to make it look decent because I'm really struggling with the format of the paper. I always bring one or two drawings, which is not enough practice. What should I do ;_;?

>> No.2035482

>>2035437
tape the ref on the wall too. Pin/tape your paper on to a board and stick it on a desk easel. You've got options, bruh.

>> No.2035500

Where do you guys typically post your art online? Tumblr and deviantart seem to be the big two I always see.

>> No.2035505

>>2035500
Tumblr and DA as you said, though I'd like to hear other anons' opinions on DA because it seems more ineffective than tumblr. Unless I'm too impatient, dunno.
If you draw porn there are other alternatives like porn-specific sites to post your art, HF, FA etc. And you could always post here and on reddit, but I'm sure no one would prefer them over tumblr/DA.

>> No.2035516

What is your ratio of thinking to drawing?

I feel like i need to place strokes down and "keep at it"... whenever i watch people sketching they are always able to keep drawing at a steady pace.

Whats the recommended practice when it comes to thinking about the line you place? Man it sounds confusing but I hope someone gets what I mean.

>> No.2035698

>>2035164
if you have a note 3 just keep using that and not taking sketched further than routing them out, save yourself money.

>>2035104
for phones, i think the note is the only one.

>>2035179
loomis, vilppu, the watts video, and mix in some proko though i hate him for a resource.

>>2035422
i dont think there is an automated service, you are going to be looking at movie editing software or possibly blender... vdub may be able to do something...

i haven't made a gif sense windows 98 so anything i knew back than doesn't apply now.

>>2035505
i would use the deviant art as a dump for everything and where ever i post art individually i would link back to the archive

>>2035516
for me its a what do i want it to look like, then fucking do it, does that look good, move on/redo it. if i think to much ill never put a line down and if i dont think at all, well... things look like absolute shit.

>> No.2035753

>>2035698
just as a note, i just cut my hand in a stupid way so others need to pick up the answering

>> No.2035834

Did I fuck up? I posted some lewds behind a Mature Themes on deviantArt. Do people even bother if it's behind a Mature Content label?

>> No.2035853

>>2035834
I don't think people will see the thumbnails if it's mature content. Try posting to specific groups for whatever kind of lewds you do.

>> No.2035858
File: 76 KB, 500x750, c6b6c2beb7cf8d23f2eb961cfb501961.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How would you go about simplifying a brick road, or a brick wall, or even walls to a house?

>> No.2035884

>>2035853
I took off the mature themes and now the comments are coming in from thirsty bitches. What do you do?

>> No.2035887
File: 1.71 MB, 3264x2448, IMG_2528[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

W

>> No.2035889

>>2035887

Shit. What artist is this by?

>> No.2035903
File: 850 KB, 500x699, asdf.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i am mediocre at best, i'd say shadman level. what is the quickest way to fame as a shitty artist? i don't care about getting better or the arts themselves i just want the money and popularity. Please guide me.

>> No.2035912

can anything be considered art?

>> No.2035914

Noticed this isn't in the sticky but how do you stay motivated?

>> No.2035942

>>2035912
There is no answer to this question, it's highly debatable

>>2035914
Because it's not just for art.
Best advice I can give is to have fun and keep it in the routine.

>> No.2035944

>>2035903
Porn of cartoon characters.

>> No.2035946

In your opinion, which gender makes for the safest, respectful fans? I'm biased to want to have a professional relationship with my female viewers, but only because males on the internet can get a bit...intense. Or am I wrong?

>> No.2035955

$100 for an oil painting workshop, is it worth it? given I already know how to draw and paint the only thing I'll learn is medium handling and gaining connections.

>> No.2035961

>>2035912
Nothing can be considered art.

>> No.2035979
File: 90 KB, 784x524, carpal tunnel guaranteed.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Should I consider getting a better tablet? I am a really poorfag though so money is really an issue

>> No.2035982

>>2035946
There really isn't a difference.

>>2035979
Digital art is expensive for a poorfag
Maybe you could try traditional art, as it can be a lot cheaper
though it can also get a lot more expensive

>> No.2035984

>>2035979
That's awful as shit.

Just stick with traditional unless you have to learn digital painting now. If so, get yourself a Huion.
>>2035946
You can always just appeal to both, or just do what you personally want and dictate which sex of the fans you want.

Also, most people won't become obsessed with you. You're either paranoid or you think too highly of yourself.

>> No.2035987

>>2035984
theres nothing wrong with that tablet

>> No.2035988

>>2035982
>>2035984
I'm thinking of shelling out for a better tablet since it's basically an investment. And I also do traditional on the side but I prefer digital more due to ease of commissions etc. And even with that pisspoor excuse of a tablet I've made some decent looking things. Hardly the best but still decent.
>Huion
I'll look into it, thanks. I've been hardwired to think that only Wacoms are good.

>> No.2035990
File: 572 KB, 784x524, lels.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2035987
It's absolute shit. See those little white ovals on the side? They are supposed to be hotkeys that you can set. Trouble is, due to them existing, they make the actual effective drawing area smaller.

>> No.2035991

>>2035987
Aside from it being ridiculously small and will hurt your hand after long usage, and that it looks outdated as hell.

>> No.2036022
File: 385 KB, 971x1505, louder_than_words__009.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I draw comics and i have been using dip pens for inking. Problem is that for me they feel too slow. I would like to draw fast lines but still control the thickness of the lines. Sergio Aragonés is one of my favorite artists and i have read that he uses fountain pens. Do you guys have any ideas to make inking faster?

>> No.2036023

>>2036022
Go digital?

>> No.2036024

>>2036022
Try the brush pen.

>> No.2036031

>>2035884
I noticed something similar too. If you add mature themes that are not too mature, like say a seductive pose with clothes on or a man with no shirt, for some reason it's not that liked. It's like the thirsty retards don't fave it because it's not lewd enough and the sfw ones can't fave it because it's too lewd or something.
Did anyone else notice something like that?

>> No.2036063

Suppose I start doing commissions for animations. How should I charge for a simple loop?

>> No.2036219

>>2035277
Thanks man, appreciate the video but I just wanted to clear up that my new job is is physical labor. It isn't getting hurting from drawing but my actual job-job. So not good enough to get paid for my art. Not yet...

>> No.2036311

Is it possible to get really good if you don't enjoy drawing by itself and are just after the results?

>> No.2036314

>>2036311
Yes, but you'd get completely burnt out without that passion.

But that all depends on your definition of "don't enjoy"--do you not enjoy it because you know you're still shit but have that passion to still continue drawing and improve, or do you not actually like it and just want to get good by the end of it? If it's the latter, you may want to pick up another hobby.
>>2036063
Too many factors, but really it should be /at least/ minimum wage (bump it up if you have a following or are more skilled), plus maybe an extra $__ depending on the complexity of the loop and how long it is/how 'complete' it is/etc.

>> No.2036334

How have people dealt with having to pay tax on commissions?
What does your accountant say when you tell him you earn $100 for drawing a picture of two dogs fucking?

>> No.2036360

>>2036334
They don't need to know that. Just bring your statements in and tell them you're an illustrator who gets their commission and business work online.

>> No.2036444

>>2035961
good point

>> No.2036494

how do i get people to view my stuff, ive had a tumblr for a long time and i tag things but ive yet to have anybody see any of it

>> No.2036603

>>2036494
Draw more interesting stuff, pander to them. If that doesn't work either, then git gud, your art must be pretty bad.

>> No.2036723

>>2035858
Anyone?

>> No.2036726

>>2035984
> not being aware of 14 year olds claiming "X saved my life"

>> No.2036897

How the HELL do you paint shadows?
I understand color temperature, I understand values, but like holy shit I just cannot wrap my head around it. What colors do I use? Complements? Get more saturated? I have no clue.

>> No.2036902

>>2036494

Post stuff to aggregates like Reddit, Imgur, and the like. Put stuff up on social media. Interact with everyone who gives you attention at the start.

>> No.2036919

I wanna get back into traditional 2d animation but I can't think of anything to animate that isn't too ambitious and outside of my skill level

>> No.2036923

>>2036897
Depends on your local color, type of reflections, and ambient light sources. Speaking super generally, cool primary lights will have warm shadows and vice versa.

>I understand color temperature, I understand values
If you get those relationships correct between light and shadow, then it will look believable, even if your color isn't scientifically accurate.

>> No.2037012

I want to post my stuff online sometime soon, is it a bad idea to upload my realistic paintings and super stylized (anime-looking) comics & drawings to the same account? Or should i just make a separate alias for my cartoon stuff?

>> No.2037096

How do you practice values? Am I mean to observe the value slider as I paint or do you just paint naturally and somehow see it in action?

Im watching a tutorial and he keeps saying to paint the values properly and color picks perfectly. But i cant manage to do that.

>> No.2037098

>>2036494
>Shitty tute = 300 notes
>Great art 1 note
>Shitty art 20 notes
Fucking dropped. I decided I hate that shitty website.

>> No.2037102
File: 475 KB, 2048x1203, 11045315_901026426603560_4031430735452323994_o[2].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

http://conceptdesignacad.com/

Opinions on this school?

>> No.2037113

Does anyone have this book in PDF?

Oil Painting Techniques and Materials by Harold Speed.

>> No.2037123

>>2037113
Or Alla Prima By Richard Schmid pls.

>> No.2037133
File: 355 KB, 1600x1032, 1412951433870.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

when working in Illustrator, do you guys use your tablets or an optical mouse?

>> No.2037141

How to avoid same face syndrome?

>> No.2037143

>>2037133
Gross.

Use whatever for Illustrator unless you plan on using the brush tool often, use tablet.

>> No.2037144

>>2037096
I recommend cntrl paint series and chris legaspi gumroad, if you dont learn with that, i dont know what to tell you bruh

>> No.2037178

>>2037143
faggot

>> No.2037181
File: 389 KB, 992x599, 7959271_orig.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2037141
Make your own.

>> No.2037212

At what point can I purchase and start using a tablet to digitally paint if I've been learning to draw through the use of pencil and paper?

>> No.2037218

>>2037212
Whenever you want, but you need to get comfortable with drawing digitally before you can paint. And no matter what you need to be able to do an accurate value study before you can even get near color.

>> No.2037235

>>2037096
It's easiest to learn that traditionally until you train your eye to start seeing it. Go grab a set of pencils and some paper and do value studies until you can get tones accurate.

Use a black and white photo with simple forms and go at it.

>> No.2037253

>>2033878
anyone know of a program that acts kinda like this website (http://www.eggazyoutatsu.net/eng/atarichanDrawer.html)) but allows you to manipulate the poses?

>> No.2037255

>>2037253
poser, blender, 3d programs, zbrush

>> No.2037268

>>2037255
how about something that doesnt require me to have any prior knowledge of 3d modelling? use your head man i just want something that gives me a stick figure that i can manipulate into poses

>> No.2037277

Where do I find other beginning drawfriends so we could be good friends and l2 git gud together?

A second opinion budy is always good, but I don't want to spam the board with my sheit.

>> No.2037281

>>2037268
Not him but try Poser, it's breddy gud. Just make sure that your poses look natural, looking back at some of my older drawings it's not the best idea for references if some of them don't look too natural.

>> No.2037282

Begginer animator. I'm trying to just make an animated storyboard, basically a slideshow. What would be most comfortable program for that?

>> No.2037288

I'm going through Drawing On the Right Side of the Brain and I feel like the stuff I'm doing isn't on the level of the student examples they show. Should I be stopping at a lesson until I get my stuff to that level, or should I continue on as soon as I finish a lesson?

>> No.2037292

>>2037268
Just buy an action fig for that.

>> No.2037310

>>2037288
I actually skipped drawing on the right side of the brain and went straight to keys to drawing. Couldn't stomach that pseudoscience shit.

Your shit should at least be close to what the students drew if you're following the instructions correctly.

>> No.2037360

>>2037268
zbrush is fairly easy to learn that one aspect of and works with any model

you can find rigged shit og most things fairly easily, and if you are just going to bone a stickfigure, 1 hour at most to make from scratch

>> No.2037395

>>2037133
i really don't understand how people can enjoy a shaven pubis area. the contrast and texture is too beautiful.

>> No.2037403

>>2037395
It implies that it's not taken care of very well, which means it looks smelly and gross

>> No.2037444
File: 54 KB, 500x497, h2_12.233.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What do I do to get good at values?
Should I study while sculptures?
Or should I study from more natural images?

>> No.2037446
File: 143 KB, 715x720, 1416868352824.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I was just asked what my commission rate is but I have no idea how much others charge or what I am worth, what's the cheapest going rate without hurting the competition and how much do you think I am worth? >>2036978

Also I spilled spaghetti I told them I didn't know what that meant and had a y-you too moment I've never been asked for my commission rate before.

>> No.2037488

>>2037403
>not taken care of very well

virgin detected

>> No.2037493

>>2037488
I never said it wasn't taken care of very well, it's just a natural reaction to seeing hairy genitals.

>> No.2037506

How do you fix the tablet bug where it suddenly doesn't detect pen pressure after awhile. After 8 years, it's getting somewhat annoying to restart my machine everytime I want to paint. Is it a wacom problem, or windows problem?

>> No.2037510

Why does it feel like my lines are much better and mroe controlled when I draw with nearly pixelated zoom in PS?
It just feels closer to traditional drawing, somehow.

>> No.2037589
File: 3.63 MB, 1279x4011, sketch_collection_part_3__by_davidrapozaart-d8ib6yh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I finally understand and can draw loomis. Now I'm desesperate to learn how to hatch and shade. Is there ANY book/video/tutorial to teach how to hatch and render?

Bonus points if it's shade like Dave Rapoza.

>> No.2037592

>>2037589
there's a good book in regards to what you're talking about in the sticky somewhere. I completely forgot which one it was though

>> No.2037599

>>2037446
Roughly how many hours will it take you?

That times the minimum wage +$20 is a good place to start.

>> No.2037603

>>2037592
Are you sure? I checked the sticky myself, but I didn't see anything hatching/shading related. Tradicional media, I mean.

>> No.2037687

>>2037589
Anyone?

>> No.2037701

>>2037589
Don't know of any resources, but your best bet is to just study Dave if you want to hatch like Dave. Pay close attention to the direction of his strokes, and how hard/soft he presses down.

A lot of his marks are parallel across the same plane, and then have an angle change for every plane change. The lines are following the form in a very blocky/planar fashion.

>> No.2037705

>>2037506
Go to Services, and restart the WacomISD service. Make sure any painting programs are closed while you do this.

>> No.2037708

>>2037510
Zooming in gives you finer control. When you're zoomed out you naturally wouldn't have the same level of pixel precision because the tablet is mapping to multiple pixels at a given point. Zooming in enough makes multiple x,y coordinates of the tablet correspond to the same pixel of the image. This in turn counteracts parallax and tablet accuracy issues to an extent.

On top of that, it's easier to draw accurately when the drawing is big - which is what happens when you're zoomed in.

>> No.2037713

>>2037444
Sculptures are great to study if you can identify all of your light sources easily. For that reason you're better off studying them from life instead of photos, where you have more direct control over all of your light sources.

Learn simple single direction light sources on simple matte objects first. Construct an open box lined with something like a black towel to line the inside, and place your object in there - this will reduce the amount of bounce light you have to account for. If the local color is consistent and there are no complicated lighting effects occurring, a value change will correspond with a plane change.

It also helps to simplify your values, and group your lights together and your darks together. There should be some talk about that in here:
http://www.erikgist.com/ErikGist_WattsAtelierFigureTutorial.pdf

>> No.2037717

how do I draw pokemons fucking for money and not get v&

>> No.2037746

>>2037717
E621
Or furaffinity

>> No.2037750

Any advice on tablet drawing and beginning a composition? I'm fairly skilled at traditional pen and paper shit and just now transitioning into the digital world.

>> No.2037751
File: 197 KB, 850x1334, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2037589
>not Rob Thorton

>> No.2037991

Went through the sticky. Should I start with "drawing on the right side of the brain" or just go straight to loomis and start my grind?

I took a basic art class in high school that actually made me do the stravinsky exercise in addition to learning other basic things; granted that was about 5 years ago.

>> No.2038143
File: 17 KB, 500x500, 1427743842785.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is there anyone here from CCA? I'm an exchange student who got accepted for the Animation Program and I have a few questions:
- Do I need any previous knowledge in Maya for 3D Computer Animation 1?
- Is it possible to take more than 4 courses per semester?
- Can I participate in all the workshops available?

Thanks!

>> No.2038159

>>2037991
You can try jumping straight into Loomis. If you find that you have issues translating what you see onto the page, then you want to go back to Right Side, Keys to Drawing, etc.

>> No.2038282

I want to git gud but I have no time for practice. What would be a good plan for short and quick practicing every day? I have around an hour to spare each day on drawing.

>> No.2038308

>>2037751
>Rob Thorton
Rod Thornton you uncultured swine!

>> No.2038333

>>2038282
An hour/day really isn't much.

Practice basic figure drawing, nailing the proportions, etc with one or two head drawings.

>> No.2038346

>>2038282
if you do it 1 hour daily, by the 10.000 hour to master something you will get good in 27 years.

>> No.2038364

>>2038282

Unless you have kids and are riding public transit to work 80 hours a week with volunteer work on the side you have more than hour to spend drawing. Instant additional hour: wake up an hour earlier.

>> No.2038371

>>2038333
That's what I thought too, at least I should master anatomy and not care about the colors as much at my stage.
>>2038346
Suffering.
>>2038364
I don't know, usually I don't function too well if I don't get at least 7 hours of sleep. Sure it's a good idea but it doesn't work for everyone.

>> No.2038380

>>2033878
Why was the loish thread deleted? Are we not allowed to talk about artist anymore? It wasnt even shit posting...

>> No.2038445

Can someone give me some advice or guidance?

I've been taking anatomy drawing classes, cause I want my drawings to look better body wise.

But I keep messing up things like faces hands and feet.

My teacher says it doesn't have to perfect, it shouldn't look like a photocopy or a photo.

But other times he says I should stop drawing what i know, and more what i see.

I know its important that the drawing should like the model you have in fron of you. But I just keep making the same mistakes.

Is it really such a bad thing to draw what you know?

Cause if you look at things like anime and manga, stuff like hands and feetarent super detailed, but you can see they are hands and feet.

Plus faces are are stylised with the big eyes and small noses.

I'm just wondering how important all this stuff is for when you want to draw comic or cartoons.

I don't know anyone in the real world who can help me, so hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction.

>> No.2038470

>>2038445
>Is it really such a bad thing to draw what you know?
bro, you don't know. you don't know what you're drawing, not really. you are drawing your mental idea of a foot instead of the actual foot that is in front of you. that is the problem, you will not learn anything from that because you have not pushed yourself.

learn to observe. knock off the animu.
good looking drawing that does not test you is not a profit in the long run.

>>2038282
get a small sketchbook, practice observational drawing on the train or any decent breaks in your day.

>> No.2038494

>>2038470

Ok so what can I do to fix this then? Cause I try drawing the model in front of me. But things like the face and feet keep getting messed up.

Should I just take a few hours to practice just drawing feet and faces?

>> No.2038541

Guys, what happened to warosu? I was going to find some archived thread and, well, the website is down.

>> No.2038543

>>2038541
Every once in a while it goes down. Do not worry or be sad!

>> No.2038647

>>2038543
Oh, okay, thank you so much!

>> No.2039224

I just started a couple days ago, so please excuse me if this is dumb.

I want to progress as quickly as possible, and I was wondering if New Masters Academy or another online service would be appropriate for somebody just starting out. I have a couple books from the library, which is the cheaper route, but money is no problem. It just seems like having good videos to watch would enable faster learning.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

>> No.2039229
File: 54 KB, 700x1033, 10548780_949513328414847_8599009009799543261_o.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2037705
>ISD
That's for the Cintiq ones I assume?
I tried something like this before, but it didn't work. This means I might need to continue what I was doing before.

>> No.2039230

>>2037705
And thanks for the help.

>> No.2039277
File: 399 KB, 1287x1600, Gil Elvgren GIL_ELVGREN_098.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does "How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way" have a chapter on light/shadow/shading?

>> No.2039294

How do I put together a good portfolio?
Im showing it to a art teacher, with that in mind what should I have in it?
I was thinking of putting different mediums, and different subjects, but Im not sure what would be best

>> No.2039321
File: 100 KB, 500x749, 1402251057238.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Now that I've got your attention, here's a question that's been bothering me for some time:

So most of us here aren't pro level yet obviously, but we have out DA accounts, instagrams, facebooks, etc.

But what happens when we finally get good? Are we supposed to completely delete all of the above and start from 0 with a new account and artistic name? Will any trace of our past selves still remain when someone googles our name? How did the pros do this?

>> No.2039323

>>2039321
You can see a lot of professionals' earlier and shittier works, idiot.

You can do whatever you want (delete your old shit, pick up a new name, etc.) And no body cares about how shit you were a few years ago.

>> No.2039328

>>2039323

Nice to know, should I ignore DA and just create a tumblr when I git gud? is tumblr better?

>> No.2039333

>>2039328
You can do both like 99% people or either one. It doesn't matter aside from whether or not you want less publicity for some reason.

You should think more.

>> No.2039340

>>2039321

i'm personally waiting to git gud then spam social media from thereon. its too much mental effort to keep up to date with social media while im still bad.

>> No.2039454

My intuous pro has reversed it's pen setting, so that the eraser draws and the nib erases.

Google hasn't shown me anything on the issue but I might be searching for the wrong phrases, how do I fix this shit?

>> No.2039456

>>2039321
Just leave them. Plus, there will be more people who will come to your social media accounts to see old works and compare them with the new.

http://0800.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=72

>> No.2039466

>>2039321
You can take them down if you like, usually you end up removing them just so that your online accounts show your absolute best work.

>> No.2039486

If you remove a drawing you contributed to a DA group, will the owner receive a notification?

Or can I just put them everywhere and remove them after they stop appearing in the first page?

>> No.2039552
File: 82 KB, 729x197, Untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does anyone know how to get rid of of this thing?

>> No.2039559

>>2039552
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/opening-moving-tablet-pc-input-panel#1TC=windows-7

>> No.2039563

>>2039229
I'm on a tabletpc, so it might be only for cintiq-like devices. I was under the impression that it worked for all Wacom tablets, but there are a few different tablet services that you can try restarting (search under T for tablet or W for wacom and see what you find). Just make sure your painting program is closed, you restart the targeted service, wait a bit for it to register, then open up the painting program again and see if it worked.

>> No.2039567

>>2039224
>New Masters Academy
They should have a few sample videos IIRC. Check them out and see if they're geared towards beginners or intermediates. I'm guessing they might be geared towards intermediates.

You can just start with the same things recommended in the sticky for beginners (the exercises in Right Side of the Brain, Keys to Drawing, Drawing Made Easy, Fun with a Pencil, etc). Books like that should be fine to start off with. I'd look for instructed life drawing classes (still lifes and figure drawing) in your area. Once you have a bit of experience things like the New Masters Academy might be suitable, but again I'm assuming their content isn't aimed at absolute beginners.

>> No.2039569

>>2039454
Are you sure you're using the brush tool and not the eraser tool in whatever software you're using?

I've never heard of that issue. The usual route is to uninstall the old drivers (delete tablet preferences too!). Restart. Download and install the latest drivers from wacom. Restart and test.

>> No.2039573

Are there any books about construction which aren't tied to the study of the human body? Michael Hamptons book "Figure Drawing - Design and Invention" has some interesting ideas (C & S lines, T), but I am looking for more.

>> No.2039575

>>2039573
Robertson's How to Draw is mostly about construction. He focuses on vehicles and other hard forms, but the same principals apply to anything you want to draw.

>> No.2039576

>>2039569
I reinstalled photoshop and it started working normally so I must have done something stupid without realizing it.

>> No.2039585

How do you make your paintings/drawings look "crisp" /ic/? Whenever I paint in photoshop my paintings often come out looking fuzzyish even though I'm using a hard brush

>> No.2039589

>>2039585
make sure you're getting actual hard edges where you want them (i.e. 100% opacity on your brush to make edges)

there may not be enough contrast between your values, or maybe your values are just muddy. maybe you could post some of your work?

>> No.2039618

>>2039575
Thanks, but the books seems to be mostly about finished works. Is there something for sketching three dimensionally? Or am I just misunderstanding the book?

>> No.2039626

>>2039589
Unfortunately I don't have access to my stuff right now. I do use 100% opacity, but maybe it is my values? I'll play around with it some more

>> No.2039647

Should I read Sucessful Drawing or Figure Drawing for all it's worth first? I've already done Perspective made easy and am rereading Fun With a Pencil.

>> No.2039651

>>2039647
>Figure Drawing for all it's worth
Personally a fan of this one.

>> No.2039658

Do I need a special type of paper to use chalk pastel? Also, is chalk pastel hard to use?

I'm pretty satisfied with the progress of my line art, but my colors are below amateur level, I can't adapt to any medium, and chalk pastels are my last hope.

>> No.2039668
File: 331 KB, 500x650, tests point light.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2039224
It can sound obvious, but the best way to learn is to draw what you see: architectures for perspective, objects for values, people for anatomy...
Try taking a course where you can draw nude models, it's very efficient. There's no magic recipe man.

>>2039658
For the paper i would recommend you take some y'know "rough" paper (sry dunno the translation) obviously, but not white paper. It's better to have like cream color paper, for example. It really depends the atmosphere of the scene you want to draw. Because filliing blanks on a white paper with chalk pastels is a pain in the ass, especially when you consider the fact that when you put too much pastel on a surface, you can't really add more color and detail on it. It become saturated, basically.

Chalk pastel is not easy, but it's definitely easier than painting (you don't have to make your own colors, dealing with drying time and stuff). I still like working with pastels. You should check Odilon Rodon for inspiration btw, #1 symbolism artist. Also Degar, but you might already know him.

Anybody knows where i can crack poser library content? Daz one is a pain in the ass to install coz different versions = different folders etc

>> No.2039687

>>2039668
Is it too hard to get a smooth solid color with chalk?
My main objective is find a way to ad color to my architectonic drawings, so being able to fill a long wall, for exemple with a solid color is important.

I tried watercolor for a while, the colors turn out just like I wanted, but it is to hard to keep the colors inside the lines and work on small details.

>> No.2039724

>>2039585
Sometimes it's the old resize and sharpen filter. Or even unsharp mask. But yeah, other than that, posting some examples won't hurt.

>> No.2039738

Best book on colour theory?

>> No.2039752
File: 359 KB, 500x650, tests distant light.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2039687
The rule is: never use only 1 pastel for a surface: always use many to combine colors, otherwise it looks like a children drawing

>> No.2039780

>>2039559
Thank you very much.

>> No.2039827

Anyone has a link to the website about limiting the palette in realistic drawings using a color triangle?

>> No.2039830

>>2039827
http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.de/2011/09/part-1-gamut-masking-method.html

and found

>> No.2039841

>>2039618
He goes through all the steps from the perspective grid, to the first basic block, to chiseling away and redefining planes, then detailing. The first half or so is basically dedicated to showing you how to quickly do X in perspective (ellipse, cube, slanted plane, mirroring a slanted plane, etc). If you look into the ctrlpaint library, he has 3 videos on constructive form that you should check out. These are a lot looser and more 'freehand' than Robertson's, which is very meticulous by comparison.

>> No.2039842

>>2039647
I'd say Successful Drawing first.

>> No.2039858

>>2039841
Thanks, I put it on my reading list.

>> No.2039867

How do I get over the fact that I draw like a 2 year old retard when starting out? Its almost physically painful how badly I cringe. I wanna get better, but damn.

>> No.2039883

I have a problem where I know the proportions and just screw around with my drawings till they look good, but behind that I have no actual knowledge of a proper construction of the body.

What should I look into for this kind of thing? I really need some starting method when I do my drawings, since most of the time I just start drawing the shoulders and go from there.

To explain further, when I'm drawing some pose and I want to lets say throw in a skeleton made out of blocks - I can't do that. I always end up adapting that skeleton to fit to my current drawing so it doesnt actually help in any way.

>> No.2040136

Out of all the loomis books, which one am I most likely to spend the most time with?

>> No.2040188

I am a virgin and have never even come close to viewing a vagina. How can i convert my drawing skills into pussy? i mean how can i impress a girl if the only skill i have is my ability to draw well?

>> No.2040203

>>2040188
You should start lifting and become more attractive. Your drawing skills probably suck ass too.
>>2039867
The shittier you are, the faster you'll see improvement (like starting from level 2 in an RPG versus level 30.) Just grind through that shit and get it over with.
>>2040136
Heads and Hands, or Figure Drawing for All It's Worth. Depends if you actually like Loomis' methods.

>> No.2040205

>>2040203
what are some other recommended books similar to what loomis teaches that are more modern?

>> No.2040207

>>2040205
"Loomis" is a catch-all term/meme for 'fundamentals.' Bridgman, Michael Hamtpon, Hogarth, etc. Go experiment and decide which method you prefer.

>> No.2040210

>>2040207
thanks for the clarification.

>> No.2040237
File: 108 KB, 1577x663, Untitled-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

When I save something in photoshop it ends up a lot darker, does anyone know why?

>> No.2040242

what's the secret to drawing a nice big meaty dick?

>> No.2040261

>been getting seriously into drawing for two months now
>devoted more and more time to it
>has gotten to the point where I draw from the point where I wake up to the point where I go to bed
>When ever im not drawing im watching videos about drawing
>still feel like im not doing enough

I'm in a weird spot right now, is it a good thing that it doesn’t feel like I’m working hard even though I'm drawing (not doodling) all day?
How do i stop comparing myself to artists that have been drawing for years?

>> No.2040267

does anyone else have this problem where if you take your time to get everything perfect it ends up looking like shit but if you rush/speed it up it looks a lot more organic? Sure you sometimes make a lot more drastic mistakes but they can be corrected and overall it just takes less time and the results are a lot better.

>> No.2040279

>>2040237
Apparently my RGB was set to 8 channels

>> No.2040285

>>2040242
References, different dicks appeal to different people but famous male porn stars typically have the best dicks. Just make sure the shaft is never wider than the base of the head.

>>2040267
Start working smarter, obviously you want progress so you'll feel like you could do more regardless but maximising the efficiency of your time like drawing harder poses and specific anatomy parts will feel a lot more rewarding.

>> No.2040380

are styluses with erasers worth the money? i have a wacom intuous small and the pen it comes with doesnt come with one. it seems like they're more efficient

>> No.2040382

>>2040380
No, it's actually better to just manually change to the eraser tool.

It takes longer + less pressure sensitivity/control to change stylus orientations.

>> No.2040450

>>2040382
huh. that makes sense too. seems like i got robbed because wacom just started including styluses with erases in the intuous small models (at an increased price of course) but if it's not worth then thats pretty neat

>> No.2040464

>>2040188
Offer to draw a tatoo design for her.
Or just be a chill guy, not anti social.
Thats where I fucked up

>> No.2040466

>>2039224
>I want to progress as quickly as possible

You proggress by failing over and over and over until you have that "OHHHHHH" moment

>> No.2040472

>>2039575
not that anon, but I would really like to learn how to draw vehicles, but I'm unsure when can I start learning that.
I mean it is a better idea to stop with learning to draw humans and jump to vehicles or finish human firsts then go to vehicles?

>> No.2040602

I want to try and open point comissions on DA for a start. To start with something like at least buying premium membership. What do I do?
Let's say I filled comission list saying the first one to come gets a fullcolor digital painting for 500p (or is 1000p already cheap enough?)
Then what?
Somebody asks me if I can do XXXX
I say OK
Is he paying first?
Do I declare what time it will take?
What if I'm late or he says it's not what he wanted?

>> No.2040607

i've got either an problem with photoshop, or my tablet and I'm not sure how to fix it. whenever I'm working, and put 2 dots in rapid succession, it makes a line every now and then.I dont know why and whenever i try to look it up i get retards who didn't know holding shift does this too. it is effected by distance, the closer it is the more likely it will connect. anyone encounter a similar issue?

>> No.2040608
File: 20 KB, 535x306, a4159b60d16699ff6e9f0827a82ba06c.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2040607
forgot pic

>> No.2040610

>>2040607
This might be Windows TabletPC features.

>> No.2040616

>>204061 I got it. really easy fix too, anyone having this issue, just tip double click distance = off

>> No.2040623

>>2040602
>accepting point commissions
First off, you're working for basically nothing. Go look at how much actual fucking premiums cost.

Secondly, work for actual currency. Something that's useful.

Finally, only teenagers work for points. Are you a teenager, Anon?

>> No.2040632

>>2040623
I have no idea how much I am worth, and I don't want to pay for premium my own money.

If this could buy me premium and iuncrease my self esteem that would be nice.
Also why not use those points to buy a poster for my wall or something? or sell them at low rate for bux.

That would be a start to get a feeling how shit is done and then I'd go to real money.

>> No.2040788

Are there any drawing tablets that have a smooth surface? I have a huion and its toothy as hell which makes it hard to apply any pressure in fear of scratching the tablet

>> No.2040791

>>2040788
huion 610 non-pro lol.
But dun worry, it's made to be scratched, and to eventually wear out. When it does it becomes smooth.

>> No.2040792

>>2040472
Humans and vehicles are both complex forms, and thus have essentially the same prerequisite skills (lighting, perspective, basic forms, etc). You can learn them both simultaneously, or in any order you prefer.

>> No.2040807

>>2040632
>Also why not use those points to buy a poster for my wall or something? or sell them at low rate for bux.
Or you could start with real money to begin with.

1000pts is what? $12? That's incredibly cheap. And on top of that you want to sell them back at a lower rate? That seems like a lot of extra hassle to get yourself $8-10 when you could have asked for $12.

> I don't want to pay for premium my own money.
Instead of bothering with all this points and low $ commission garbage, why don't you just find a minimum wage job if you want money. You'll have more consistent hours, and you'll never end up making less than minimum wage. Work on your art so that you can pull in larger commissions from larger clients, instead of working for peanuts.

>> No.2040833

>>2040807
I live in a place where there's no such thing as a minimal wage. And If I was to find a work then 600$/month would be the most promissing offer for full time employment.

Actually I'd fucking love to get 20$ per picture, I'd draw day and night for that. But I guess I have to begin somewhere, and If I start getting anything at all then I will improve and raise the bar, right?

>> No.2040964
File: 152 KB, 1024x650, 02.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Can someone tell me what materials Alex Ross uses in his comics just from looking? I can't find the information anywhere.

>> No.2041025

>>2040833
If you genuinely have no other options, and the cheap commissions will work for your needs, then go for it.

Mind that once you're producing professional grade work, you want to charge professional grade prices for (likely) international clients. Wizards of the Coast for example pays artists on the order of $800-$1200 for Magic the Gathering card art from what I hear. That might incentivize you to practice to get work with bigger clients.

Once your work is good enough for big clients, I'd invest in a copy of the Guild Artist's Handbook for Graphic Artists to give you an idea of what you should charge for various assets, as well as contract terms and all that jazz. Your country of residence and wages there shouldn't play a role in what you charge for international clients.

>> No.2041036

>>2040964
He uses acrylics and watercolor. Check his book Mythology (I think that's the name), he shows some examples.

>> No.2041038

>>2040964

if pic is related then its pencil and watercolor

>> No.2041237

>>2040607
>>2040608
Try the double click sensitivity. turn it down.

>> No.2041443
File: 156 KB, 653x490, 20150403_155301.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So i did a fairly loose sketch today and decided to try and translate it into different perspective views. I started with the lower right drawing, and i cant wrap my head around how the engine connects to the main fuselage there seems to be so much empty space between them in side view. Now this isn't meant to be a perfect sketch but its just giving me a headache.
Is it possible that so much of the engine is hidden in 3/4 view?

>> No.2041458

>>2041443

IF the engine is the thing in the back, it is possible, but in general it looks wierd because you didn't shape it circularly, kind of looks like a simplified sideways eye ()

>> No.2041462

>>2041458
Ah i can see it now, thanks a lot. I still struggle with ellipses and how flat they should be in perspective.

>> No.2041496

>http://ramoneblog.tumblr.com/

Can someone recommend me some good brushes similar to what this guy is using?

>> No.2041515

Is there anything wrong with Huion tablets or should I just stick to Wacom?

Thinking of getting this as it's the most popular and affordable: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GIGGS6A?tag=artprdus-20

>> No.2041527

What are the differences between Alla Prima and Alla Prima II? Is it major?

>> No.2041530

How do you take care of a kneaded eraser? Can you have it lying out in the open or should you put it back into a sealed container when you don't use it? Is there any risk of it drying out or something?

>> No.2041532

>>2041530
Drying not so much, just make sure it doesn't get gunk/pet hair/etc on it.
>>2041515
Just driver issues some people have. Just do some research on it.

The actual tablet itself is really good.

>> No.2041542

>>2041532
i did but most sites just tell you what each tablet does but no one really gives recommendations

>> No.2041547

>>2041542
Research the driver issues...

>> No.2041561

Is there a way to export drawings from sai with invisible background, and not make it look like shit (full of white edges) when importing into another software. I want to make a little animation thing as a hobby. If not, what software would be best for it (and that still feels like SAI, I dont like the vectorizing of flash)

>> No.2041570

Absolute green beginner here. Just starting with drills on circles and line drawing. I'm a bit confused at this "drawing from the arm" biz. Like, what does that actually MEAN? Does that mean I should be using every part of my arm for a drawing, or is there some part I should be emphasizing?

>> No.2041572

>>2040964

It says on his site what he uses:

Nolbein Artists or Windsor-Newton Gouache paints, Iwata HPC airbrush, Windsor-Newton series 7 water color brush #4,

>> No.2041625
File: 634 KB, 525x810, tumblr_nlc6hz3llz1qd1q2so1_540.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Okay, /ic/, let's say you want to one day work professionally. How worried should you be about any weird porn you drew floating around?

>> No.2041631

>>2041625
Give no fucks and leave it behind. You probably lack the confidence to not care so you should just give up on working professionally.

>> No.2041634

>>2041625
In this day and age it won't ruin you assuming it's not underage or somesuch. Just keep your stuff as seperate as possible and say fuck it

>> No.2041637
File: 108 KB, 508x810, tumblr_nlska4JYdc1u33x2xo1_540.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2041631
>>2041634
i figured as much, it's pretty tame so as long as I'm not a total moron I should be aight, thanks anons

>> No.2041707

>>2041570
Drawing from the arm usually means shoulder+elbow movement primarily, and practically no wrist/finger movement. It's usually recommended for drawing large marks because you can get smoother lines, and you'll put less strain on your wrist. For larger marks, it's probably advisable to hold your pencil on it's side so that you can get thicker line width to accompany your large lines.

With practice you can also make very small marks using your shoulder+elbow as well, but it isn't necessary. If your mostly worried about avoiding an RSI, try to keep your wrist in the neutral position as much as possible while drawing. Also, don't lock up your wrist or choke your pencil. Your wrist and hand should feel as loose and relaxed as when you're sitting and you rest your hands on your knees.

>> No.2041733
File: 492 KB, 480x270, 1411093631119.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is there someplace I can just get the plain theory, syntax whatever of how to develop my tech? Like perspective, measurement, lines etc, not some book or course I mean.
Is there something like this? If not maybe a really good perspective, horizon line type book thingy

Also maybe a good tutorial on corel if that even exists

>> No.2041751

>>2041443
Are there any good tutorials about this?
I understand how to get the length of an object but not how to get its hight and with in relation to the length. My initial drawing looks always great but when i put it in another view its always messed up and looks nothing like the original.

>> No.2041766

>>2041625
Use a pen name for porn, there's no reason to ever show your face unless you're trying to appeal to an established fan base.

Writefag here, my serious shit and smut are kept as far away from each other as possible. Nobody who ever reads my story about an overweight transgender african american lesbian running for the local representative seat against an old white republican to stop her life partners community center hosted art gallery from being demolished to build a private prison will ever know I write stories about wizards summoning things to fuck.

>> No.2041813

>>2041766
thats not how it works. unless you dont want to get paid you can't withhold your real name. Piss off one faggot retard and you are stamped for life.

>> No.2041821

>>2040466

Or that "ohhhh" moment never comes because your progress is incremental, so keep everything you do so you can compare how you suck now compared to how you sucked a few months ago and you can see the progress between the two.

>> No.2041849

>>2041813
That's why i'll never take porn commissions, i draw some really really weird stuff and i can easily imagine some tumblr retard taking offence on them.

>> No.2042247

>>2039841
>>2039858
(cont.)
Gave it a read and it wasn't very good as it tries to use freehand circles in a lot of places when much simpler methods exist which are more accurate and faster. It's also mostly about perspective, so it feels limited. The intro where he gives an exercise to draw lines is nice and you get some image porn, but it uses unpractical methods.

Now I am going through "Perspective, A Guide for Artists, Architects and Designers" by White which is really nice and later I will check out "Perspective Made Easy" by Norling.

Clearly shifted from construction itself, but maybe I will end up back there.

>> No.2042340

>>2041751
anybody?

>> No.2042341

Drawing used to be so fun, now I feel like I'm doing it becuase I have to, does anyone else feel this way?

>> No.2042348

>>2042341
when something becomes work your brain starts to trade fun for satisfaction.

>> No.2042523

>>2042341
All work sucks
even if you enjoy doing the thing
having to do -work- sucks
cause a lot of things that aren't fun to deal with get involved and you can't just freely, loosely do the thing
especially if it's your job.

But if it has any kind of positive significance in your life
then you have to cultivate as much of the fun stuff as you can when you can
in order to level the enjoyable and not so enjoyable aspects of drawing.

Some people forget how to get have fun
or to even have fun in the first place
so you need to get back in touch with that so you don't continue dragging your feet.

>> No.2042611

for both digital and traditional, what are overall good canvas sizes to use?

>> No.2044468
File: 74 KB, 617x805, elsa lines.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Can anyone help a bro out? A redline or something? I never do hands. Now I'm trying and it looks like shit compared to the rest.

>> No.2045808

Is it impossible for a artist to never have to use reference, no matter how highly skilled they are?.

It just semes like they can draw anything, be it imaginary or realistic without using a ref. ever

I would love to be that kind of awesome.