[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 188 KB, 655x1000, 1423506559125.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2012850 No.2012850 [Reply] [Original]

Hey D/ic/ks,
Recently I've been having trouble figuring out what to do next.
I had this master study of this old master painting I was working on but it was so mediocre and everything I did seemed to do very little or even make it worse.
And I was stumped is basically the point, I was trying to draw and at one point I was like 'just draw something, anything, you can do that right?' that's how stuck I was.
But tonight I had a little self discovery and I thought I might share because imo it could help a lot of beginners here.
I saw this picture of a nicely done character and it wasn't too nice but it was much better than anything I'd done ever.
And after really checking this whole picture out, zooming in and seeing a brush stroke here and there that I was having trouble with or whatever I had found I had learned a lot.
My work was improving suddenly.
Now I think this is because when looking at a master's piece and trying to compare it with your work is like comparing a bug with a human, I think to understand better would be to compare a bug with a small rat. Just as comparing yourself with a master would be so intimidating and there's so much to focus on and change. Really everything needs improvement when you do a master comparison with your own work.
But if you compare your work with someone who's just a little further down the road than you, you can see the obvious differences and the obvious requirements to fix those differences. It's a little bit less to chew in a nutshell.

TL'DR op's a faggot but I hope I helped.

>> No.2012853

Thanks man

>> No.2012881

>>2012850
agree 100%. if someone makes one or two things better than you, you eventually can spot the tricks, but if is way ahead of your level, it all goes over your head, is like magic.

i remember reading last year in new scientist that people that are not very far from students' level make the best teachers, for that very same reason.

>> No.2012945

Teacher here. This is called the zone of proximal development. Generally, this is why teachers give you one or two areas you need to focus on when grading stuff, rather than tell you everything you fucked up.
For every skill level, there is a certain set of things which you are now ready to learn. You don't teach kids calculus after showing them multiplication tables.

Vigotsky breh.

>> No.2013398

Saved this thread.
I guess "one small step at a time" should be applied to art.

>> No.2016052

Loved what you did there, OP.
do you have more to show? I'm genuinely interested in drawing similar to that

>> No.2016172

>>2016052
do you seriously think OP painted that? Use your fucking brain.