[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 110 KB, 901x362, 9H1Btjq.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1999054 No.1999054 [Reply] [Original]

Do US studios ever hire European artists?
If I apply for jobs in the US, do I have a chance of getting them?

>> No.1999058

I sure hope not.

>> No.1999062

As freelancers? Obviously, all the time. For an in-house job? You'd have to be worth the hassle of getting you a work visa and all the paperwork that comes with it.

>> No.1999112

>>1999054

if you are phenomenal and one or two ad's in european studios can confirm that your english is fluent, your portfolio legitimately yours and you are socially competent and easy to work with SURE BRAH.

but it won't happen overnight. reserach maciej's work history to get a good grasp of how to get hired by us studios being an eurobro and have them pay your flight and visa and shit.

>> No.1999118

>>1999054
it's better to be european, americans are extremely racist and luckily they associate european accents with competency to such an extent that they'll just assume you're better then any americans which they happen to interview.

>> No.1999121

>>1999054
You know there are lots of (good) studios in Europe too? If you really want to go to the US, I'd first start working at a European studio to get some experience.
My goal would be working at a British studio, as the US suck.

>> No.1999130

>>1999121
>British studio
Such as?
I am like a couple of countries away

>> No.1999256

>>1999130
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_companies_in_the_United_Kingdom

Is it so hard to google?

>> No.1999260

>>1999054
noah will never be as handsome and sexy as this guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWZGAExj-es

>> No.1999367
File: 446 KB, 833x768, 1406517481079.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1999121
Yeah, you could work at Tal-ir Akban, Britain's premier British concept art studio.

>> No.1999448

>>1999256
>almost all of the well known ones: (defunct)

Hahaha. Yeah, no. I'm from Europe myself and I usually never miss out on making fun of Americlaps, but America has VASTLY more job opportunities for artists in the entertainment industry than the UK does. That's just video games and not even considering animation and movies, where America is even more dominant.

>> No.1999468

>>1999448
>but America has VASTLY more job opportunities for artists in the entertainment industry

I never said otherwise. That's completely true, but it would be very hard for a mediocre European artist to get a job at a respected studio in America. Why would they go through all the hassle if they can hire a local person? You only have a chance if you're exceptionally skilled and possibly well known.

>> No.1999476

Nobody in America likes eurotrash, especially central eurotrash. They work, if you can call it that, 4 hours and then expect a weeks pay in advance.

Germans are egotistical. Swiss have small penis syndrome. Serbs are dumber than shite. Hungarians are a bunch kiddy rapists. Austrian don't exist. Polish are whiners. Czech are thieves.

Seriously, who would want a collection of cultures that in last 30 years have produced some the most stupidest self-entitled brats that have ever walked the face of the earth? Why would any one want that in the office?

>> No.1999478

>>1999054
I know a hungarian guy who got a job in Blizzard.

>> No.1999480

>>1999367
God dammit I wanted to make that joke.

>> No.2000046

there are plenty of guys who make it across to the US but you'd have to be a fucking top notch artist to make it worth for a studio to go trough the hassles of visa and relocating your ass. Even if you have a degree the amount of shit you have to go through just to get a work visa is insane. Take for example Andrew Maximov, the guys was fucking eyeballed by naughty dog for years, had papers published, is pretty much not only an expert on art but also on scripting and programing and even he had issues getting to the US:
http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/09/25/naughty-dog-artist-talks-about-working-at-the-studio-ps4-and-how-uncharted-4-will-blow-your-socks-off/

I guess the best way to do it is to get a job on some european studio, try to get to Canada and make your way to the US and in the mean time gather as much published shit and accolades as you can so you can be considered an expert in your area.