[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 448 KB, 1154x1913, 1418100809166.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1913378 No.1913378 [Reply] [Original]

Because we should not have to make new threads or post in draw threads with our fundamental exercises. Feel free to post even the smallest exercise you have done to show you are still trying, do not give up. Practice makes Perfect!

A friendly reminder to do wrist exercises and take breaks as you practice to avoid getting CPS.
http://www.eatonhand.com/hw/ctexercise.htm
http://wnyptot.com/articles/info_education/carpal_tunnel.pdf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUyMNyrOHJQ

Previous thread: >>1909110

>> No.1913388
File: 1.47 MB, 1440x2560, artflow_201412091727.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

These are awful but I am trying

>> No.1913398
File: 153 KB, 1000x1000, some eyes.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1913378
drew some eyes
>>1913388
pleb here but i like those

>> No.1913417

>>1913388
>>1913398
Yeah, I like those as well

>> No.1913432
File: 197 KB, 964x845, Screenshot_14.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I did some eye studies yesterday.

>> No.1913434

>>1913388
These are fine. Just keep working on confident lines.

>> No.1913452

>>1913388
>come to thread
>see this
>shit that's good
>"These are awful"

I guess this post is nothing more than a fresh beginner saying, if I were at your level, I would be proud of myself.

>> No.1913459

>>1913452
its common that an artist is always shitting on themselfs, it has to do with the fact that the said artist's perception of good art and their ability to understand it are always increasing, thus, their own ability to pick apart their work increases, they are basically raising their standards constantly

>> No.1913486

>>1913432

Did you draw these from reference or imagination? Could you post a source or more of you your work?

>> No.1913514

Is there a place I can torrent good art instructional videos? An anon recommended Proko videos from youtube, but can't find a torrent to any of the paid stuff.

>> No.1913520

>>1913514
rutracker

>> No.1913545

I'm enjoying pencil and paper. Should i give digital a go or should i just stay pencil and paper until i git gud.

>> No.1913552

>>1913520
how do you read russian?

>> No.1913554

>>1913545
Go digital
it's easier, faster, and you have lots more freedom to practice too.

>> No.1913557

>>1913452
oh damn, i mean:
>>1913459
what this anon said. sorry that it came across so badly, im just pretty new to gestures and im pretty far from where i wanna be. pls keep it up mayn you can do it.

>>1913434
will try, thank

>> No.1913559

If all I did was 20 gesture drawings a day, and didn't really put much thought into it, but made sure I did those 20 daily, would I actually improve? Obviously if I look at what I did, think about it in detail, ask questions, etc., I will improve much faster, but if I forgo that and just mindlessly did gesture drawings, but consistently, would that work?

>> No.1913592

>>1913559
just drawing ain't the same crap isn't going to get you anywhere at all.

you just said what you need
Improve your style
Learn new details
Ask Why should i draw that and ignore that

>> No.1913600
File: 339 KB, 941x682, aVhnJhk.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Finally got my tablet working, I am shit. Half of this seems to be from imagination rather than the reference, I should've spent more time sketching and getting the proportions right, and it needs more light. Still not sure when to use a soft brush and when to use a hard one. I guess to get that very smooth look I just need to zoom way the fuck in and blend like that for a bit.

>> No.1913634

>>1913554
Thanks anon. Any recomendations on tablets. $200 would be my upper limit.

>> No.1913635

>>1913552
botnet translate it, but I'm sure there are guides out there if you look for them

>> No.1913645

>>1913545
If you are sure you want to keep drawing, go for it. Keep practicing on both medias though.

>> No.1913653
File: 16 KB, 492x875, unnamed (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1913388
sounds like a bad attitude.
for me, my drawing are either "better than last time" or "not as good as they could have been".

just started Keys to drawing, and it shows results real fast.

>> No.1913654
File: 37 KB, 1556x875, unnamed.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1913653
makes me feel kinda sorry for all the time i wasted copying comics.
shitty camera really ruins the edges of the lines.

>> No.1913655

Welp, Ive learned a lesson. I think its better to draw consistently everyday rather than trying to do one huge drawing session once a week...

Im going from Drawing from reference to Perspective Made Easy. Am I gonna have to draw from imagination for the first time, or do I still do PME with reference?

>> No.1913662

>>1913655
yes, mileage and repetition is the key.

>> No.1913666
File: 100 KB, 581x686, Screenshot_22.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1913486
I drew that from renfrence, Im drawing from the book Anatomy for Sculptors. It has a lot of neat trick to help you understand human form in 3d.

My artwork is nowhere near that good to draw that from imagination, but im getting better at copying stuff :/

>> No.1913671
File: 358 KB, 2881x707, Screenshot_21.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1913666
This is what i drew today. Im not sure how much you should spent time on drawing from imagination vs doing studies? Also any crits?

>> No.1913673

>>1913662
... kowai

>> No.1913676

>>1913671
>any crits
you have squashed things like the torso and head and elongate things like the left arm (compare the upper arm)
also some angles are wrong and some volumes are weak (like the left thigh)

but this is really good nonetheless.
you're gonna make it, bro.

You captured the right leg very well from hip to thigh to knee to the foot, all really good.
You're also overall good with the details and forms, even if some of them are deformed.

Your eye will take care of that in no time, I'm sure.

>> No.1913679

>>1913654
remember the space between the eyes is one eye lenght.

>> No.1913680

>>1913666
>Anatomy for Sculptures
Sounds interesting. Ill check out too!

>> No.1913686

>>1913673
It's totally heiki and daijoubu, yo.

Consider this (well known) experiment/study some people did.

Pottery class.
Two groups.
One of them was only graded for quantity and output, and output alone, quality was way lower priority.

Other was only allowed to submit one work but it had to be perfect and it would only be graded on how well it was crafted.

After the deadline has passed, the perfectionists group was blown out of the water by the quantity group. Like, blasted. Rekt. Totally destroyed.

They produced overall much better products wheras the perfectionists failed.

Ah, I have found the passage, it's from the book Art and Fear, which is great.

The ceramics teacher announced on opening day that he was dividing the class into two groups. All those on the left side of the studio, he said, would be graded solely on the quantity of work they produced, all those on the right solely on its quality. His procedure was simple: on the final day of class he would bring in his bathroom scales and weigh the work of the "quantity" group: fifty pound of pots rated an "A", forty pounds a "B", and so on. Those being graded on "quality", however, needed to produce only one pot - albeit a perfect one - to get an "A".

Well, came grading time and a curious fact emerged: the works of highest quality were all produced by the group being graded for quantity. It seems that while the "quantity" group was busily churning out piles of work - and learning from their mistakes - the "quality" group had sat theorizing about perfection, and in the end had little more to show for their efforts than grandiose theories and a pile of dead clay.

>> No.1913693

>>1913673
>>1913686
What I'm trying to say is:
You should take solace in the quantity approach, unless you start fretting over itbecause you might think you aren't churning out enough.

You will produce lots of shit but you can be 100% certain that every shit is actually ineptitude leaving your body.

The more you do the faster it will be (though it will still take months to years even, I would say 3 months intervals are the very very shortest timespans you should compare yourself with).

Still, even if you don't have the time to draw that much.

As long as you keep drawing, you will make it eventually. Only not drawing will lead to actual failure.

>> No.1913694

If someone could help me find some good muscle anatomy references, it would be much appreciated, turns out googling the term pulls up complete shit.

>> No.1913702

>>1913686
Yus, I have heard this story before. Totally frickin #wrekt. Classic.

But you see. It wasn't that I would spend like 10 hours on the same project. It was just practicing for a long session. I did like 15-30 min drawings for about 10s hours, then stopped drawing for a week. I think its better just to stick with 1 hour a day for me... yeah, I know its better to do 2 hours.

Ah well, Ill post ere' again soon.

Arigatou Tomodachi.

>> No.1913704

>>1913694
If youdon't want to be a pirate and don't want to spend money:

proko (stan prokopenko) is starting an anatomy course and will provide free videos on youtube as well as 3d models to go along it, though I am not sure if those will be available for the free people as well.

But even if they aren't, proko is pretty good at making the subject digestable for the everyman, imho.

Other than that, Eliot Goldfinger Human Anatomy for Artists is a great book.

It's kind of a difficult read, but it shows origins, insertins, gesture and everything in great detail.

>> No.1913707

>>1913686
If this was true then >>1913559
would actually work? But anon said it wouldn't.

>> No.1913714

>>1913702
>. It was just practicing for a long session
Ah, right, well that is better than just working on one piece.
Still, I would guess muscle memory grows quicker if you do it shorter but at a higher frequency.

Like walking through high grass.
If you walk through it every day you will stamp a path to your goal that will stay nice and flat.

If you only walk there every now and then, the grass will have grown back some in the meantime, maybe that works as an analogy? But yeah.

>>1913707
Well read the quote again.

>they learned from their mistakes.
You should, of course, think and reflect on your study and don't just let it go in in one ear (or eye) and out through there other. Proverbially speaking.

I mean, it would still work but it's still possible to study smart instead of mindless, even with just repetition

>> No.1913721
File: 2.25 MB, 320x225, crying-cat.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1913676

>but this is really good nonetheless.
>you're gonna make it, bro.

t-thank you a-anon!

>> No.1913723

>>1913714
I think it should be like a balance yo. Like, I can only get so much done during the weekdays. But a nice long drawing session is good for the weekends.

Fuckin' grass.

And I ran out of weeb terms to say, aniki.

>> No.1913724
File: 1.44 MB, 1157x2051, sketch006.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

animu head practice sketch in pen

>> No.1913729
File: 345 KB, 900x900, photo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1913704
God, I fucking hate Proko. He just rehashes Vilppu's techniques.

Checked out the book, close enough to what I was looking for, so thanks for the suggestion.

>> No.1913731

>>1913707
>>1913714
>I mean, it would still work but it's still possible to study smart instead of mindless, even with just repetition
Consider speed reading a book.

If you're gonna do it too fast and don't put any effort into committing at least some keywords here and there will make you retain nothing, even if you actually *read* / recognized, saw all the words.
You will have ended up reading the whole book, not skipping anything, but you would not retain anything despite having read through all of it.

Something like that.

Still, I would think if you re-speed read that book like 10 times some things might eventually stick, even without you thinking about it, but that, at that point, is excessive and you could have done it better.

>>1913723
Perhaps a small sketchbook (one of those tiny pocket sized ones) could help you through the week?
One that you shouldn't get too attached to and you could use as the proverbial writers napkin?
Just doodle something down, like a writer taking notes?

You can do that anywhere then, in public, cafes, train stations, etc.

hehe.

>> No.1913737

>>1913731
My oringinal question was just because I wanted a hobby that was somewhat 'mindless'. I already do something stupid like 8 hours a day working on physics and math. By then I want something that I don't have to analyse. It's not as if I'm going to refuse to make connections if they appear to me, but I don't want to spend hours with equations, then have to stay in logical mode to look up stuff on why my drawing sucks. I'd rather take a couple times longer than normal to get to a given level, yet still have drawing be a relief from study mode.

>> No.1913738

>>1913729
Haha, yeah his jokes are painful, especially so when he's with someone, like Marshall Vandruff.

>dat awful and awkwardly drawn out "the link is gonna be down here" bit
Yeah.

Still, you're right, but he's still a good choice when we consider the overall pool of people who create free tutorials and stuff.

I mean, Proko might have flaws and rehashes Loomis, Villpu and co, but he isn't a Mark Crilley, at least.

>> No.1913742
File: 114 KB, 1000x743, figure-8-1303869722.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What happened to uploading an image and then everyone on here studying it. I kinda liked that. Felt like a good way to measure how we've been progressing through each thread compared to our peers. If any one wants to try, ill be studying pic related.

>> No.1913745

>>1913737
I see, but you can relax about the kind of analyzation for drawing.

It's more like observing it and seeing flaws and trying to not repeat them.

Like if you have finished doodling and you see that the face you have drawn is super wide or that features are grossly misplaced, etc, then something as simple as simply telling yourself that can bend your brain into not doing it again.

Even better if you only focus on the good bits and ignore all the flaws.

If you have drawn a face and it's 90% shit but the eyes are amazing then give yourself a pat on the shoulder for the eyes and fuck the rest, don't fret about that.

Positive reinforcement works for everything, from goldfish, to cats, to dogs, to dolphins and to humans.

You don't have to do all that, and you can just mindlessly do it but a little bit of reflection will simply give you better results faster.

Like when doing your gestures.
I would almost bet my ass that if you increased your time limit for the gestures by 30 seconds and would use these extra 30 seconds to 'rubber ducky debug' what you are seeing then you would improve faster and better, even if you only manage to do 15 gestures in your overall alotted timeframe instead of 20.

Instead of 20 totally mindless ones where you go into a trance and just copy what you see (which WILL get you results, so you can just keep on doing that) if you were to do 15 but during those you explicitily tell yourself, either out loud or in your mind, what you are seeing, before you draw it, then you will get better faster.

"Her right shoulder is higher than the other, it forms this angle"
"I can see the right side plane, front plane and bottom plane of her pelvis"
"The upper torso is rotating away from me"
"The edge of the heel is at the same horizontal place as the right shoulder"
(so if you were to drop a vertical line from the shoulder down, the heel would also touch that line)

Things like that. It will give you better results quicker and isn't much effort.

>> No.1913747

>>1913745
>positive reinforcement
It's not an art book, but I recommend "Don't shoot the dog" a book about training lifeforms, including humans, and yourself.

It's mainly about pets, so if you have one of those and you aren't already one of those clicker training people then you should try that on your pet as well, cause this shit works.

And it also works on people, even on yourself.
Ignore the bad parts, praise yourself for the good parts.

It's harder to do in art, of course, since the complete picture depends on so many interconnected components.

But it works wonders for everything else (while also potentially working for art).

There is one report, for example, of a dude playing squash.
And one day he decided to not curse himself for all the missed and botched shots anymore, he'd just ignore those, and praise the fuck out of himself for every good one.

His performance increased tremendously.

Which is kind of a telling effect, considering he 'knew' he was being trained (by himself).

If you pull this shit on an unsuspecting entity, you can manipulate them in all sorts of covert ways.

>have grumpy partner
>don't give any reactions when grumpy again
>the moment of not grumpy
>give affection, hugs, kisses, the works.
>over time they will be conditioned

Works with messy roommates, all sorts of shit.

But yeah, that's off topic. So I'm gonna keep it at that now.

>> No.1913756

>>1913747
shit, might as well try it

>> No.1913763

>>1913756
Yeah, go try it when you're doing something simple as primitive drawing.

Draw some circles.
Praise yourself whenever you have drawn a good one. "Hell yea! Look at that one! Looks almost like it was drawn with a compass!"
Consider everything else good effort, perhaps worth an "mhm" or something.

If it's SUPER botched, just give it a chuckle cause come on, your arm simply decided to troll you right then, or the pencil went dull unevenly, etc.
That's not the real you. (And it really isn't. Cause you will end up drawing more good or decent ones than complete abortions)

Same with ellipses:
Drawn a good one? You're gonna fucking be the next Scott Robertson, etc.

Look for opportunities to praise yourself.

It can even happen to stuff you have drawn the day before, perhaps, and hated, but now that you walked past it/see it from the corner of your eye... it might not be too bad, some aspect of it.

If there is something that pleases you when you see it, praise yourself. Acknowledge it. It'll work out.

>> No.1913768

>>1913676
this post was so positive i cried

>> No.1913769

>>1913763
>Praise yourself whenever you have drawn a good one
And good means, related to your skill level.

Don't set the bar too high, or you might end up feeling stupid for going "mhm" or saying nothing at all 15 times in a row.

Baby steps, but do praise for any improvement. There is no real limit to that, after all, you can praise for every bit of improvemen and REALLY praise for REALLY GOOD results. A hearty FUCK YEAH! I RULE! LOOK AT THIS SHIT! IM DOING IT! WOOOOHEEE!
( This is going to be you when you nail it: http://youtu.be/8Z3mgnHqAXg))
stuff like that.

Regular praise could be, yes! good! that's the ticket! etc.

If you do that enough then your mood will be great and you will be hyped about your improvements and completely cool about your shortcomings, cause they don't matter.

>> No.1913770

>>1913745
Well that sounds better than my initial 'fears', I guess. I think the worry is I've been a logical person my whole life. I've learnt languages, maths, physics, chemistry, programming, etc. I don't know how to learn artsy stuff.

Well, I'll give it a shit anyway. Thanks anon.

>> No.1913782
File: 259 KB, 1229x518, 2014.12.09 - study.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

first proper study in ages, i am so rusty it hurts

>>1913742
nice. i will do this tomorrow

>> No.1913783

how to git gud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FWCoqmJlkA

>> No.1913784

>>1913763
>If there is something that pleases you when you see it, praise yourself. Acknowledge it. It'll work out.

Especially if you can use it in an analytical way, like, for example:
Man, I really nailed the form of the glabella and how it flows into the eye socket, creating this wonderful 3d effect cause I drew things <this way>.

Or man this nose looks kinda cool, let me see why.
Oh, yes, I really captured the way the front plane of the nose ridge gets that little bit broader in the middle and then tapers down again. Looks like a fukken marble sculpture, yeah.

Hm, these lips don't look half as bad. So voluminous.
What did I do so right? Ah yes, <this> or <that>.

Shit werks, and it's not even some sort of scam or self delusion or anything.
You're simply focusing on good stuff instead of just the bad.
Both aspects are real, you're merely finally ignoring the irrelevant one. The bad one.

>but how can I progress if I ignore my mistakes.
By focusing on things you did well, you will progress too. Even more so. Etc.

But yeah, bedtime and I wanna to do some more drills myself.

>> No.1913813
File: 613 KB, 1500x1234, 1400889094933.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

posting some good gestures I found

>> No.1913814
File: 456 KB, 1500x1090, gesture.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1913813

>> No.1913815
File: 609 KB, 1500x1090, gesture detail.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1913814
how to add detail

>> No.1913818
File: 1.13 MB, 1944x2592, IMG_20141210_012221.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm done with it for today, gotta go sleep. What do i need to fix tomorrow?

>> No.1913831

>>1913378
>I never got feedback over this

>> No.1913833
File: 152 KB, 900x600, 1417980899456.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1913818

>> No.1913835

>>1913818
do it again m8
again and again

>> No.1913840

>>1913835
Why

>> No.1913841
File: 93 KB, 690x645, MMMMM.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Am I doing it right?

>> No.1913842

That's awesome

>> No.1914046
File: 1.03 MB, 1286x1000, Teste 1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i guess i need some feedback

>> No.1914062

>>1914046
draw what you see. not what you think you see.

>> No.1914066

>>1914046
mouthbreather on left

>> No.1914069
File: 276 KB, 2560x1920, IMG_20141209_191026.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Ok, so here's a doodle I did a hour or so ago. Only had a pen, so that was challenge...
please any tips for hand drawing?

>> No.1914073
File: 50 KB, 720x486, ghj.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1913600
my first attempt at a body

>> No.1914083

>>1914046
Pay attention to negative spaces and proportions

>> No.1914107
File: 64 KB, 441x607, Shapes.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Been studying a bit, is this a proper gesture, and is this how you break it down with Shapes?

>> No.1914147
File: 2.58 MB, 4160x2340, 20141210_043617.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1914107
If that would help you draw an accurate figure, then yes. Your line of action/gesture drawing should somewhat anticipate the main masses of the body. The shapes represent said masses, but they are pretty inaccurate in proportion and shape.

I'd look at Michael Hampton's Figure Drawing for gestures and Fun with a Pencil for how to break it up into shapes. The Doohinkus was surprisingly helpful for me.

>> No.1914148
File: 221 KB, 1162x646, 2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1914147
Ive been watching Proko
I can feel a bit more 3D
What should I watch to learn how to get perspective of the shapes down?

>> No.1914149

>>1914073
Try some more. The shoulders are really uneven and you are symbol drawing quite a bit, so try looking at some reference while you're at it. It's pretty bad, but decent for a first try anyway.

>>1914069
Very scratchy. Think a little more before making a stroke with your pen. Look into line weight/economy; would help you a lot.

>>1913840
It lacks detail particularly at the hands and feet, and some parts are very disproportionate. Some of the masses seem very flat, particularly her torso and arm.

Try drawing it a few more times.

>> No.1914152

>>1914148
Don't know much in the way of videos. Though I feel it helps to picture the shapes as balls, barrels, tubes, or boxes, depending on what part of the body it is.

>>1913782
That's pretty nice. The study's somewhat lighter than the ref overall and the eyes seem to be shifted a little bit to the side, but that's still pretty good. Do some more

>> No.1914154

>>1914152
Where would a Barrel fit in?
Thighs?

>> No.1914155

>>1914154
Burne Hogarth uses a barrel for the chest. It might work for thighs, but it's basically just a swollen tube. You can use it however you see fit.

>> No.1914161
File: 188 KB, 1314x672, Cartoonish.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I can never get away from this Cartoonish look

>> No.1914163
File: 103 KB, 674x898, null.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A bit of a (re)study of a pic

>> No.1914165

Should I buy one of those Anatomy doll things?

>> No.1914167
File: 1.39 MB, 1470x1926, Shiori.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1914161
You have that style because you're symbol drawing and just don't know what the hell you're doing.

To fix that you will need to keep drawing from reference and start working on fundamentals. Pick whatever art book you like or watch a ton of videos. You can only get better from here. It took me like two years to phase out of pic related until I could draw in whatever style reliably and I didn't have any /ic/ to help out with that at the time.

You can do it, anon

>> No.1914172
File: 56 KB, 689x689, doll-art-0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1914165
>Anatomy dolls
You mean one of these?

Don't expect too much from them.
Certainly they can give you an basic idea of human proportion, but most of them has very limited moving angles thus wouldn't help you much for complicated postures.

*btw I've met people online saying that animé figures would do a better job but I can't confirm that

>> No.1914173

>>1914167
Thing is I kinda want to draw a sort of Cartoony/Anime sort. But I hear that learning Realism first is better than going right to a style

Your picture is real cute Anon

>> No.1914174

>>1914172
Yeah one of them
I USED to have one of them back when I didnt really care about art, they're really stiff

I do have some figures including Figmas, guess I'll give that a try

>> No.1914176

>>1914173
A style is always based off of realism so yeah, go with that. Once you start understanding the fundamentals of drawing, cartoons can be done rather easily and intuitively.

Thanks, but the picture was probably drawn from reference; at the time I couldn't draw things from the top of my head for shit.

>> No.1914178
File: 1.96 MB, 1668x2372, You consume me.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1914163
I like it but the left leg is kind of... strange.

>> No.1914179

>>1914176
Would you recomend drawing from Refrences from other drawings?
I did it once with the head and shoulder off some picture then changed the arms placement
I felt wrong like I was lying to myself

>> No.1914181
File: 62 KB, 1203x761, darthsuckius1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

wow tablets are hard. will i just get used to using them eventually

>> No.1914182

>>1914179
I'd only do that if theres a technique I'd want to replicate like in color, composition, etc.

For anatomy you always go to the real deal.

>> No.1914183

>>1914178

Thanks for your advice, anon. I'll see what I can do.

Nice work btw, but I think you should pay the words equally the attention to those you give to the drawings itself.

>> No.1914185

>>1914179
reference for reality; other drawings for style or technique.

>> No.1914186
File: 420 KB, 909x506, Im learndind.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1914181
Its about Mileage
Like really, just keep drawing for hours a day and you'll get used to it
Pic related is what I did within my first week
Now I can do full strokes within 2 months>>1914148

>> No.1914189

>>1914185
So like if I wanted to do a picture of a woman holding a book to her chest
I would find a real person for the basic pose, then say copy someone else on how they would do the head shape and the eyes for example?

>> No.1914192

>>1914186
oh thats good to know. thanks. i think whats throwing me off is im so used to touch stuff reacting to everything so i wouldnt even rest my hand on the tablet.

>> No.1914195
File: 21 KB, 652x606, Capture.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1914186
>that awful chicken scratch
thank god you improved anon

>> No.1914198

>>1914195
Oh thanks for Reminding me
>>1914192
Watch THIS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgDNDOKnArk
It really helps getting used to it

>> No.1914200

>>1914189
That'd be one way about it. Drawing from reality will give you a firm grasp on what's right and proper, while copying people's work will give you an idea on how someone would go about drawing it. One for proportion, the other for process and technique.

If you got a real person to make the pose for you I'd go all out and just try to draw the whole thing, figuring out the process as I go. Just using that model for the pose would be kind of a waste when you could use that same model for the details as well.

I'd only copy someone else if I was curious on how to make a certain effect, not for fundamental knowledge of anatomy. That kind of stuff just helps you in the short run.

>> No.1914225

What place does a beginner have anywhere?

I've talked to many people online on many places. DA, HF, here, tumblr, iscribble. And no matter who I talk to they don't seem to believe there is any such thing as a low level cap. It's actually becoming quite difficult to talk to these faggots.

I have asked people about /b/ draw thread skill levels and been told they don't require skill. While at the same time I am unable to keep up with them because i am not good enough. Requests should take minutes if not seconds but when it takes me 15 minutes to draw things that aren't nearly as good as everyone else's I begin to notice I am not good enough for those threads.

On HF I brought up the site's skill level requirement to someone and asked them what place a noob has on the site. I was told I could participate in the forums(Whatever that means) but again and again the prospect of not being aloud to upload art because I'm not good enough was avoided.

On tumblr and iscribble everyone seems to believe the ability to just shit out half decent cartoons and doodles is inherent in all people. I've told people that there is nothing I am good at. I have nothing I can fall back on that I can say "Well, at least I can draw THIS" and it blows there minds, like that's something that isn't possible.

On DA everyone seems to be okay with everyone posting shit art. People post garbage all day thinking it's "art" because they are unable to understand how shitty they are.

And on all these places (With the exception of 4chan, seeing as people who hide behind the veil of anonymity love to be assholes, which is actually quite refreshing) no one wants to have any positive outlook.

I can show someone a shitty drawing of mine and no one wants to admit that it's bad. "Well, your lines are good" or "It's just a unique style" and it's pretty annoying.

So what I ask is, what place does a beginner artist have online? Where can I go that doesn't have a skill level requirement?

>> No.1914228

>>1914225
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pillars-Self-Esteem-Nathaniel-Branden/dp/0553374397/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1418215842&sr=1-1&keywords=the+pillars+of+self+esteem

>> No.1914229

>>1914225
>Requests should take seconds
Bullshit

Beginners have a place anywhere. If nobody tells you you suck at least you know yourself that you suck—work on it yourself. If nobody pays attention to you or doesn't give you proper critique, then do something about it. Seek it out specifically and push people to give it. If you just feel bad posting your work next to high-level artists, then level the fuck up. You're at a place for that.

>> No.1914230

>>1914228
If you don't know the answer to a question, why not just keep to yourself instead of shitting the bed?

>> No.1914233

>>1914230
Because life is holistic and if you receive advice you don't agree with or want to outright ignore, it costs you nothing. My apologies for offering something that could genuinely help, anon.

>> No.1914234

>>1914229
>Then do something about it
Bro, I've been called a troll and banned for asking questions no one can believe anyone can ask. They think that no one could possibly be as bad as i am at drawing, therefor i must be trolling them.

>You're at a place for that
Are you talking about 4chan? All anyone does here is tell noobs to read the sticky, like it's that easy. No one who is able to draw for shit started by "reading the sticky".

>> No.1914237

>>1914229
>Bullshit
I'm serious. Someone introduced me to drawthreads as a way to get motivated. When I told them i may not be good enough for those threads I was told, "Have you e SEEN the quality of those drawings?" like they were all shit, even though they were all pretty good.

And yes, people there can just whip out drawings in seconds.

It's another case of them not knowing what an actual beginner is. They draw something and say they suck, when in reality they are at a skill level that will take me years to get to. I am the one that sucks. They are the ones that are actually on the path to getting somewhere.

>> No.1914244

>>1914234
Someone must've been autistic back then for that to happen. Either them or you. Couldn't be that bad, though. What sort of questions did you ask?

>like it's that easy
But it's not

It's hard, goddammit. It takes years upon years of practicing, studying, and working to be able to draw for shit. The minute you think you're fine is when you find out you have so much more to go, but that's just how it is. The reason why everyone points beginners to it is because it's a decent square one. It tells you what to work on and what to look at to start.

>No one who is able to draw for shit started by "reading the sticky."
You don't know that.

>> No.1914246

>>1914244
Did you? Did you come here, never having drawn anything other than a smiley face and a stick man, ask for help, get told to fuck off and read the sticky, and get good?

Has anyone here ever?

>> No.1914252
File: 147 KB, 1901x317, ADS.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1914237
Post examples of said drawings. I'm actually curious.

Still, a frog doesn't remember its days as a tadpole. If you suck now it just means you gotta keep working hard until it pays off. How good others are compared to you doesn't matter and shouldn't keep you down. You're all that matters and are the only one responsible for your improvement as an artist.

>>1914246
No, I read the sticky and grinded for about a year before posting anything on this board.

How about you quit wallowing in self-pity and post something people can actually help you with.

>> No.1914255

>>1914252
I have no self pity. And I have no allusions that it will take 10 years of crap to get decent at drawing.

Luckily what I do have is patience. It's gotten me through a lot of shit with others that have no patience at all.

>Said drawings
I have never saved drawings from /b/ draw threads. It wouldn't matter showing you anyway. Like I have said, what other people call garbage is something better than I will be years from now. So it will probably look like garbage to you too.

>> No.1914259

>>1914255
Well, I can't say anything other than what I've already said. I don't know how bad you are and I don't know how to help you until you post something that can be critiqued.

>> No.1914269

>>1913378
My anaconda do want.

>> No.1914288
File: 1.98 MB, 2799x1980, norulesonlytools.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

First time posting here.
>some recent stuff,mostly from imagination
Is there hope for me?

>> No.1914305

>>1914288
part of the ship...part of the crew...

you show promise anon, keep drawing

>> No.1914346
File: 1.21 MB, 1440x2560, artflow_201412101722.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Today's 2min gestures

>> No.1914350
File: 536 KB, 2048x1152, 20141211_003253.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

2nd time drawing onviously doing loomis

>> No.1914351
File: 184 KB, 567x315, Snapshot-2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

doodle
Someone might find this useful, harvey dunn was tutored under Howard Pyle and was genre changing in the same right as NC Wyeth was. His thoughts are good. Read alongside Robert Henri's the art spirit for a good base philosophy on art.

http://www.robolus.com/H.Dunn-EveningClassroom.pdf

>>1914288
Good start, as all things it is hard to say wether there is "hope" for someone or not. Buy the Art Spirit and look at life. Draw not only from imagination but also from life - and then the memory of life, you can get incredibly far this way.

>>1914172
You can get articulated dolls with full limb movement in the range of 50-100 usd. With a stand it is well worth the price just to be able to fondle and thus get a feel for the movement. You could also just invest in a mirror.

>>1914346
cool! outside of some proportion issues a lot of these look solid though some of the feet are not truely attached to a groundplane. Have you thought about using these as the base for illustrations? Ie paint/draw on top of them, give them clothing and costume?

You could also experiment with drawing the same pose from a different angle in your head.

>> No.1914366

>>1914351
thanks for the feedback mayn, i'll try and flesh out tomorrow's ones. also reminds me, i really gotta do some feet studies

>>1914350
try not to dig so hard into the paper anon. otherwise keep it up!

>> No.1914367

>>1914351
what the fuck are you doing in here?
this is our home.
Beginners ? welcome.
anything above ? GTFO.

>> No.1914370

>>1914366
I'm having problems trying to get light and dark without putting a lot of presure on the pencil. But yeh i put waaaay too much in that doodle. Also at work so using the shitty stationary here.

>> No.1914373
File: 2.14 MB, 2480x3508, armadura7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Im shit at textures

>> No.1914375
File: 798 KB, 2272x3808, skann0306.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

One day I'll git gud

>> No.1914382

>>1913388
check those proportions
especially leg length and size and abdomen

>> No.1914383

>>1913600
try making the form a bit more rigid but not too rigid
the pectorals kinda look like titts also some of the abdominals are too big

>> No.1914384

>>1914149
this is some top notch criticism.
thanks.

>> No.1914386

>>1914163
legs are off
if you were to follow the leg to the groin
they would not match up

>> No.1914390

>>1914178
put the sholders lower and give her bigger traps
the collar bone seems to be at odds with the piece
it doesnt seem to be a part of the figure

>> No.1914392
File: 213 KB, 1600x900, mfw.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

recommendations?

i know it's shit, but gotta keep trying

>> No.1914394

>>1914149
But i havent finished it
Why would i redraw it, instead of finishng? Explain.No offence, I'll do thaf if i really should.

>> No.1914396

>>1914373
do you know the word "definiton"?

>> No.1914398

>>1914396
Yes. But its better to give some constructive criticism than to ask agressive rethorical questions.

>> No.1914402

>>1914398
do you know where you are?

>> No.1914405

>>1914402
Of course i do.

>> No.1914407

>>1914351
awesome do you have a blog?

>> No.1914417

>>1914046
>made their tits bigger
10/10 perfect I love it

>> No.1914418
File: 1.01 MB, 2592x1936, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

These took me way too much time to do.

>> No.1914425
File: 236 KB, 1327x829, Screenshot_25.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Back again with today's practice. Still struggling on getting my angles right.

>> No.1914428
File: 130 KB, 1051x846, Screenshot_23.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1914425
With reference comparison .

>> No.1914440

>>1914425
It looks like the plane of the girls face is tilted towards us.

>> No.1914460

>>1914394
If you are in the beginner's thread, you should be focusing on getting better rather than on making "finished" pieces

>> No.1914476
File: 271 KB, 700x448, dfvdf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Still trying gestures...

>> No.1914508

>>1914392
That looks stiff as fuck and chicken scratch every where. What have you study so far?

>> No.1914515
File: 1.21 MB, 3264x2448, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Newfag here . In the middle of exploring perspective and getting better at understanding perspective. Trying to get to a advance level fast, gonna be doing hundreds more later tonight and tomorrow. It is fun learning and understanding and progressing through the fundamentals. Thought it was gonna be daunting at first but I enjoy it alot

>> No.1914517

>>1914515
>That object on the bottom left

Not bad, keep at it anon.

>> No.1914518

>>1914402
He's got a point, though.

>> No.1914520
File: 1.40 MB, 3264x2448, 12.10.2014_14.10.28.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1914515

Rotated pic

>> No.1914521
File: 449 KB, 2109x1308, 001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1914525

>>1914520
guess I'm a dumbass at rotating pictures

>> No.1914529

>>1914476
Love the far left and center. What model or ref did you use ?

>> No.1914543

>>1914520
Good rotation. Keep at it, anon ^_^v

>> No.1914552

>>1914515
That's pretty good.
I'm pretty shit at perspective myself.

>> No.1914554

>>1914394
If you're not done with it then I suggest you finish it up first so I can get a better grasp on what you should focus on

So far I'd say it'd be best to redraw or probably just keep drawing from references of that nature. Like I mentioned before; a lot of detail is missing and your values make many of the volumes of the body come off as flat or disfigured.

>> No.1914556

>>1914554
Oh yeah definitely flesh out those hands and feet.

>> No.1914560

I tried starting my own thread to ask but I seem to be getting ignored so if anyone here could help I would really appreciate it.

I just put Photoshop CS2 on and I've been trying to draw but, whenever I zoom in it registers any up and down stroke as an attempt to move the screen and not whatever tool I have selected. Is there a way to correct this?

>> No.1914562

>>1914560
>cs2
the fuck are you doing

>> No.1914563

>>1914562
it was free

>> No.1914569

>>1914563
CS6 and CC are free as well :^)

>> No.1914572

>>1914569
could you help me out?
Is it from Adobe as well and I just missed it?
If I get it will it fix this problem?

>> No.1914581
File: 157 KB, 1068x732, 87489ajdfg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So I bought a pretty cheap tablet and started drawing a little, and I don't really know what I'm doing. How am I doing?

>> No.1914584

>>1914581
What are you trying to do?

>> No.1914588

>>1914584
idk draw stuff
get better

>> No.1914590

>>1914588
What have you study so far? Judging from what you've posted, it looks off. Are you trying to draw animu? Have you tried drawing real life things? How long have you been drawing for?

As for the question asked, the drawing you copied looks terrible.

>> No.1914591

>>1914581
It looks to me like you started with the contour lines first which is definetly no for a beginner in my opinion, if I was drawing this I would start first with not focusing to much on the contour but looking at the whole picture . What I mean by that I would look for the shapes that make the drawing, for example circles for the head , cylinders for the arms , and box for the body and what not. After main shapes have been established I would then look and the contours of that make the cylinder look like an arm. What I'm trying to say is don't jump right away at the contours but instead look for shapes. Just continue drawing cause mileage is key to improvement

>> No.1914594
File: 149 KB, 862x640, randr.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1914590
I haven't studied anything ever
Just tried drawing a guy from some game
nah not really
I would draw sometimes as a kid. Haven't for a long time.
I didn't try to copy it I just sketched it real quick for the thread but heres something I spent an extra couple minutes on.
>>1914591
I don't even know what contour lines are. I've never tried that whole shapes and lines thing like this http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/hows-this-squidward.jpg
it seems like a pain to erase all that stuff, but I guess it would be easier on a computer.

>> No.1914643
File: 2.02 MB, 2592x1936, IMG_3879.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Sucks eh

>> No.1914644

>>1914643
can someone explain me how can I rotate my freaking images ..?

>> No.1914646

>>1914644
rotate it so it's correct then get rid of the exif data or rotate it a couple of times that should also get rid of the exid data

>> No.1914651
File: 1.76 MB, 1200x1920, sketch1416544068638.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I drew Anna Paquin. Isn't she beautiful.

>> No.1914668

>>1914062
>>1914066
>>1914083
thanks for the feedback
>>1914417
haha glad you like it man, thanks

>> No.1914731

>draw first few sketches
>looks terrible
>"well that's okay, it's just a warm up"
>continue
>still shit
>"okay I'll look at some tutorials and try something different"
>do that
>still shit
>"okay maybe I need a few hours break"
>take break then resume
>still shit
I hate bad art days

>> No.1914739

>>1914731
>bad art days
people have these?
i just assume when all i draw is shit that im a retard who can't draw and start from square 1

>> No.1914740

>>1914739
nah but i'm making all the mistakes I thought I had fixed and none of my mistakes are constant

>> No.1914752

>>1914739
Even some comic book artists have these where their drawing skills drop (for some reason.)

>> No.1914918

>>1914428
Why does he have a Innie penis?

>> No.1914947
File: 1.16 MB, 1765x2326, 20141208_220129.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Trying a foreshortened head from an exercise in Keys to Drawing, and this is obviously fucked up, even though it's not finished. I just can't put my finger on what is fucked up. I feel that it's too "long", in height.

On another point, I'm a complete beginner as you can see. While going through Keys to Drawing, I have this tendency to try and "finish" the drawings, but I don't know if this is good, bad, or doesn't matter at all. I mean, I've been working through the portrait drawings lately, and I try and finish them all the time, but they take me forever since I add shadows and shit, to try and make the angle look right.

All in all, I've been fucking around with Keys to Drawing for about 80 hours or so, and I'm only at page 95ish.

>> No.1914949

>>1914581

hey anon, can you tell me what brush and software are you using? I really liked your brush!

>> No.1914951

>>1914947
The ear seems a bit too high for that angle. Or its perhaps just the jaw is too low and the face—from the eye to the chin—is not foreshortened enough. It's well done, it's just that your construction seems to be somewhat fragmented, is all.

Keep doing some more; you're not far off.

>> No.1914954
File: 1.32 MB, 3320x4992, hermina_standing.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1914951
> it's just that your construction seems to be somewhat fragmented
I don't even know what that is. Is it when you put down a bunch of lines as a sort of overlay? Kinda like 3D Modeling vertices?

I've just been trying to copy, and measure, though I guess that my measuring is still pretty bad at it all. This is the original.

>> No.1914957

>>1914954
Looking at it in my screen instead of the drawing makes it easier to compare. It looks I just completely fucked up the angle, somehow, making anything that I try to copy look wrong now.

Welp, not sure how to proceed there.

>> No.1914958

Someone recommended that I use a looptool for drawing. What does that mean? Like, color with the loop tool? Does anyone know how to do that?

>> No.1914959
File: 289 KB, 589x585, Picture 47.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1914958
This was the pic for it

>> No.1914963

>>1914161

The picture you are referencing is so pixelated it's useless. Your own drawing is at a too small resolution as well. You don't want to be seeing pixels when you're drawing.

>> No.1914964

>>1914954
Basically, the way you construct the subject has a ways to go. The mouth seems to be coming forward a bit and and the cranium seems a bit large so that's probably why it seems stretched in height.

>> No.1914968

>>1914964
All right, can't argue against that, as I know it very well myself.

Does that simply go away with practice? You know, making a ton of foreshortening studies? Or is that something that can be specifically explained and studied later on in a book?

>> No.1914982
File: 135 KB, 979x734, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i did some construction drawings from that preston blair book

>> No.1914987

>>1914982
Not bad. Now try making some of your own.

>> No.1914988
File: 14 KB, 349x409, 3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1914949
Seconded,

>> No.1914997

>>1914968
Yeah, it's mostly practice. You can look into theory for it from Loomis, Vilppu, Hogarth, or whatever to get the basic idea, but ultimately you'll end up developing your own understanding of it through sheer practice.

>> No.1915008

>>1913634
My reccomendations are:

> intuos 3 medium or larger
Lots of people like this model. I have used one once, but not more than 40 minutes. I think it felt smooth, but not as smooth as current tablets. I used the oversized one and it was really fun. I have never used an off screen tablet that large. People say to buy a newer tablet because the technology is much more advanced and the feeling is slightly smoother. I know people who work in the industry and they use 10 year old wacoms for personal things.

> Bamboo Fun Pen and Touch medium (CTH661)
Wacom made two models both called the bamboo fun. I think they did this because they wanted you to search "bamboo fun" and their newer, more expensive (at the time) model would show up instead of their old one. That's why I listed the model number. I recently bought one for my boyfriend and I am extremely happy with it. It feels smooth and works fine.

>Wacom intuos medium (model number unknown)
Currently, they are selling the small versions of this on their website. I am NOT talking about the pro/5 version. This model is relatively new. It feels very smooth and is fun to work with.

What I do NOT recommend:

>small tablet
The first tablet I bought had an active area of 3inches by 4 inches, roughly. It made me want to stop drawing digitally. I couldnt stand it. I use my whole arm when I draw (some people do not,) so i need lots of space. If you are physically bigger, you might want to even stay within buying the large versions of tablets, not the medium version.

>buying any brand BUT wacom
My friend's first tablet was a huion. She let me play around with it before i decided to buy one. That shit felt like sand paper. Also the pen uses batteries so it feels unnatural. Physically larger people usually like the heavier pen. Also, people with heavier hands (people who push hard) usually like heavier pens. keep in mind that I am smaller than the average person by a noticable amount, so it might be different for you

>> No.1915013

>>1914181
How small is your tablet?

>> No.1915014

>>1914375
Booty lol

>> No.1915017

>>1914963
Actually it was a full body picture, I was just focusing on the face, Zoomed in at 300%

>> No.1915049

>>1915008
>not recommending Huion/UC Logic
I highly disagree with this. I prefer my worn Monoprice over the Intuos 3 Medium because it's a lot more sensitive and I don't need to readjust the opacity/flow nearly as often with it than the Intuos.

That, and replacing the battery isn't much of an issue + a lot cheaper to replace a UC Logic pen than Wacom (or tablet in general). The pen feels heavier, but you wouldn't be able to feel the difference after a few hours or so.

That being said, I'm not even sure why a slightly heavy pen is an issue. And I'm a scrawny ass female with small hands so it has nothing to do with "heavier hands" or physical size in general.

>> No.1915051

>>1914390
Yeah, there are a lot of anatomical errors, i'm still learning ^^ Thank for the suggestions

>> No.1915054 [DELETED] 
File: 59 KB, 1220x670, 0017.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I once said that I would post something here everyday. Now, I draw for an astonishing one time per week. Motivation is for people who aren't depressed or angry.
Tell me how off everything is, and I'll be on my way.

>> No.1915055
File: 59 KB, 1220x670, 0017.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1915056

>>1914351
>http://www.robolus.com/H.Dunn-EveningClassroom.pdf

wow these are good

>> No.1915069

>>1915008
I ended up getting the Intuos medium CTX680 thanks for the advice.

>> No.1915099

>>1914752
this happens to more people than me?
>tfw not alone anymore

>> No.1915101

>>1915014
I like butts....

>> No.1915106
File: 461 KB, 950x509, a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I never did any real anatomy studies, so better late than never...

I am starting with reading up human anatomy and go from skull to toes.

Always do I mess up the form and size of the skull, but it's a good sign, when I see my mistakes. like the alien warped skull on the right and the too bulged forehead

>> No.1915128
File: 821 KB, 1500x1234, dat_bougeureau.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1913813
Not bad anon-kun

>> No.1915131

>>1914046
Focus on all parts of the picture at once. If you focus too much on one area you can get a perfect face and a messed up body or vice-versa

>> No.1915154

>>1913813
Real nice, dude. Hope I cant get to your level soon.

>> No.1915240
File: 59 KB, 960x720, 10698426_767108373338959_4849317102313054592_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

what can I do to improve?
I really need help on the anatomy of this

>> No.1915265

>>1915240
Hey there, her neck has no anatomie, her lower back looks akward and the Soleus of her left leg looks quite strange. The biggest problem is the uneven tone you are using. Try using the side of the pencil more, I see that you put in bounced light but your tone is dirty.

>> No.1915272

>>1914225
Are you seriously complaining about there being no place for beginners in a beginner's thread?

To be honest (and this is just my opinion): no, a beginner does not have a place anywhere. There is no amount of skill or effort involved with being a beginner. If you want to be a respected member of a serious art community (/ic/ included), you have to earn it. Study your fundamentals and put in the hours to get to an intermediate level. Then you can start posting and getting meaningful critiques because you'll have shown that you're taking this seriously.

If you really feel you need legitimate critiques at this stage, just post your work in beginner's threads like this one.

>> No.1915275

4chan is pretty much most of the time bronze elo level, sometimes you see silver here too. So welcome to begginers forum :)

>> No.1915290

>>1915275
Obviously. People who "reach Gold" aren't gonna sit here wasting their time trying to help slackers who will quit in a week.

>> No.1915323

Can I get advice for >>1915055?

>> No.1915340

>>1914225
>people like this exists

How? Read the sticky and that should get you on your way. If you're still at a lost, go to your local community college and request a tutor, or see if you can locate gatherings among other artists.

There's a gather I go to twice a month at a random Hobby Lobby. Among the group are a bunch of soccer moms who have nothing better to do on their spare time. Some of them have been going to these gatherings 4 times a month and can draw so well, it amazes me (some of their work is REALLY good).

It's not hard to find advice at a beginner level. The sticky will get you on the right path.

>> No.1915375

>>1915340
Not that guy and I only ask out of curiosity, but what's the social atmosphere there like? I'm moving to a new city soon. If I wanted to meet new people and make friends, would that be a good place to do it, or are people there just to get shit done?

>> No.1915376

>>1915375
I've seen some people do for the love of the actual art, however I feel you'll find these people at college classes than actual gatherings.

>> No.1915388
File: 2.60 MB, 4160x2340, CAM00001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just started practicing facial features. Is it bad? If so, why?

>> No.1915389

>>1915388
What? this wasn't upsidedown before.

>> No.1915392
File: 1.35 MB, 4160x2340, 1418340144768.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1915388
fix'd

>> No.1915413
File: 719 KB, 2376x668, I tried.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does this count? I tried to draw it from a youtube video (on the left) its the first serious thing i ever tried drawing and i actually was surprised with how good it looked compared to the drawings i did before that.Also sorry for the horrible quality

>> No.1915416
File: 59 KB, 1571x567, 0017_2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I gave this a second go, and I'm happier with it. What may I need to change before I continue? I'm considering taking this past the sketch phase I always stop at.

>> No.1915424

>>1915413
you fucked up quite a but thats fine! You need to try more to accurately draw the thing, to the most littlest of details. Preferably from life, but photographs are an ok alternative
>>1915416
looks alright, need too do a bit more grinding, you fucked up a bit some specific places but beyond that looks fine. Either render it out some or grind some more drawings

>> No.1915430
File: 81 KB, 2376x668, 1418344096848 copy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1915413
Keep angles and distances in mind, and use plum and level lines to keep things in proportion.

>> No.1915444
File: 156 KB, 1600x800, dildo.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

here's a dildo thing i found in my roomies gym. i just got a wacom tablet and this is my first time adding value. how did i do? also, im still not quit used to drawing on it yet so my line work isnt up to par.

ref pic next

>> No.1915445

>>1915444
Looks like part of a cars exhaust, the bit sticking off at the top being the hanger.

>> No.1915446

>>1915424
Could you show me where the specific fuck-ups are?

>> No.1915448
File: 196 KB, 612x816, image1 (5).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1915444

>> No.1915449

>>1915445
i was joking lol. its one of those removable pins so you can adjust the height on a bench press.

>> No.1915451

>>1915449
>>1915448
Ah i see it now, a bit more difference between item and shadow
Which Wacom did you get, mines being delivered today?

>> No.1915455
File: 262 KB, 1624x2084, Cautek (C2).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Any pointers or whatever for this one? I've only been drawing for like 3 months so I think this is the best thing I've done yet (lol) drawn by hand and lined/colored in sai.

>> No.1915456

>>1915455
it's really good m8

>> No.1915457

>>1915451
intuos small the 70$ one. its probably one the best gifts ive ever received.

>> No.1915466
File: 324 KB, 1571x567, fixed.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1915446
this is the first time ive ever done a redline, but i hope this can help.

>> No.1915472

>>1915456
I'm well enough adapted to society to understand sarcasm when I'm presented with it, you fuckn't!

>> No.1915492

>>1915049
That's okay if you disagree with it. I just posted it based on my experience. I'm just recommending, I'm not saying "DO NOT USE UNLESS YOU ARE A FAGGOT!!!!" or anything like that.
Like how i recommended not to get a small tablet. I know people with super small tablets and can do amazing work. I just do not personally like them.
I suppose I am just not used to a heavy pen and it distracts me. I do not like using it. I am also a scrawny-ass 100lbs female with small hands. You're probably stronger than me too.
I suppose it could do something with physical size and maybe not.

>> No.1915501
File: 2.07 MB, 2988x5312, My shit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Lookin' to get my head proportions right as I begin looking into getting anatomy down.

I'm a beginner, started seriously on Dec 06 /w Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, and some Loomis.

>> No.1915503
File: 1.99 MB, 3264x2448, 12.11.2014_20.42.51.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

More perspective training, Please ignore the chicken scratch lines or the other doodles. Was breaking in the new Zebra G nibs I just received today. Currently high as shit and I feel extremely in the zone right now. Gonna crank out at least 100 more perspective sketches tonight.

All free hand and I know most of the mistakes I've made

>> No.1915504

>>1915503
Now If only I know whats wrong with my pictures that are keep rotating. I'm such a newfag

>> No.1915524

>>1915504
rotate them in your phone, save it, then rotate them back to how they go.

>> No.1915536
File: 1.99 MB, 2988x5312, more head 11.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1915501

Lil more.

>> No.1915563
File: 1.53 MB, 1826x2361, 20141116_162942.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm the anon that posted >>1914947.

I'm still trying to figure out how to fix it, or perhaps just move on to the next exercise and grind foreshortening once I'm done with the book.

Anyway, this is what I made previously, and I'm looking for mistakes. To my untrained eye, it looks pretty good, other than the lips (which I always have trouble with). This is probably my less crappy drawing since I started to learn, but I'd like to have some honest criticism on it.

The hair could be a bit better, and the shades around the ear look a bit off, but other than that I can't come up with anything. It's a profile though, and I figure that it's the easiest way to draw a face/head.

Sorry about cutting up a part of the nose, I didn't notice until it was already in my laptop.

>> No.1915565
File: 998 KB, 2592x3052, profile.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1915563
Here is the reference.

Yeah, I ignored the piercings. And for some reason, my shading makes her look older.

>> No.1915573
File: 1.16 MB, 1440x2560, artflow_201412120450.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Todays gesture exercises.

I also did like an anon suggested and fleshed em out into some kids. Theyre stylized though so maybe I should have posted it in the animu thread?

>> No.1915576
File: 676 KB, 1201x777, skul.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

here's my progress on the skull from the other thread

>> No.1915577
File: 1.09 MB, 1440x2560, artflow_201412111946.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

And non-animu

>> No.1915582

>>1915573
>>1915577

They look pretty good for the most part.

Still, homestuck? Fucking really?

>> No.1915584
File: 273 KB, 1600x1920, why_didnt_they_just.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm drawing a bunch of random shit as fast as I can and trying not to get too ocd about it and not get anything done. Will that help me at all?

Also, yes I drew a meme picture, I don't know why.

>> No.1915586

>>1915576

Looking pretty good so far, anon.

I'd say the depth proportion's a little off, but nothing a little more practice won't fix.

>> No.1915591

>>1915582
:( sorry anon. Sometimes one just wants to relax and draw some stupid shit. (also cmon why the fuck not)

>> No.1915595

>>1915591

Nah it's cool, I just don't like the subject. I mean I loved the shit out of problem sleuth but I could never get why people went that full retard over homestuck.

Still keep up the work. Don't slack on the fundamentals and proper studies like some lazy fag.

>> No.1915596

>>1913378
oh

>> No.1915608

>>1915595
Problem sleuths great, agreed. Homestuck is a pretty different cup of tea though, I understand disliking it. I stay away from the batshit teenage homestuck fan garbage though, shits toxic. Still, I love the comic a lot, its just too bad about its fans.

I promise im doin regular studies too man. My aim is to git gud or die trying.

>> No.1915618
File: 70 KB, 672x380, orc.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1915455
I admire the fact that you, too, appreciate orc dick

>> No.1915636
File: 339 KB, 674x900, faces1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

from photos
60 sec face gesture then add animu inspired details
I'm fucking shit

>> No.1915699

How Useful is the Bean Tech?

>> No.1915725
File: 20 KB, 200x200, 1418347520256.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hey all. Really shy new anon here but, I read the sticky, read a few of the articles and gave it a go and learned I can't draw what I see but I can draw a little better from imagination. I need halp. Anyone willing to give more suggestions? (PS, i read loomis)

>> No.1915729

>>1915725
Stop reading Loomis and read Hampton and Vilppu.

>> No.1915752

>>1915725
Your observational skills are probably shit, and your drawings from imagination are probably over rehearsed symbolic depictions.

Do exercises designed to improve your observational skills. Drawing on the Right Side (ignoring the pseudoscience), Keys to Drawing, Drawing Made Easy, Bargue and Gerome Drawing Cousre, etc. After you learn some basic techniques to drawing what you see you should go out and practice it a ton. It doesn't hurt to learn perspective and construction as well.

>> No.1915758

>>1915725
You gotta learn to draw what you see in front of you before you can draw what you see in your mind's eye. Get some instruction, follow the exercises in keys to drawing and spend a month filling a sketch book with still life studies and the environment around you. Once you build up a skill set you'll be better able to tackle Loomis, Vilppu or what have you and one step closer to drawing waifus.

>> No.1915840

>>1915699
10/10.
It creates appealing shapes and can be used as a base for all sorts of things.

>> No.1915845

>>1915840
I just tried using it and its coming out, uneven, like really retarded sized asses

>> No.1915865

>>1915758 >>1915752 >>1915729
Yay! *-* thank you all! That was a much better reaction then I thought I'd get. I'll probably be back in a few hours after I have gathered the things. Just one more question, i have heard mention of one called lefty... Who exaltly is he? Cuz I know few people give names, so I just curious.
>>1915729
I'll look em up
>>1915752
My observational skills are shit in that I can't recreate what I see x-x but thanks for specific books.
>>1915758
Waifu's do sound nice xD

>> No.1915868

>>1913742
People stopped posting these because lately very few were giving it a shot.
Makes me a little sad because now that we can see how many unique posters are in every thread, it's easy to tell there are usually over 100 different people posting in these threads.

>> No.1915998
File: 638 KB, 2048x1152, Head1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Same guy as >>1915536

I will get these motherfucking heads down

>> No.1916032
File: 1.36 MB, 1088x735, planes.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Can someone tell me if I have mirrored these tilted and rotated planes correctly?

The far one looks a little goofy, but I think it's correct.

>> No.1916037

>>1913432
Pretty cool. The bottom right feels like it's popping from the paper

>> No.1916040

>>1914161
>>1914167
Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain has some good exercises for drawing what you see

>> No.1916043

>>1915725
Speaking as a fellow beginner, I think Loomis is hard to grasp. I started on his successful drawing (which teaches fundamental skills), and the whole thing feels like I found an artist's leftover notes.

I also started on Fun With A Pencil, but that had me drawing spheres before I even understood how a sphere works, so I couldn't properly place the rings along the axes.

I think I will get much more out of it if I don't go into it completely blind.

Right now I'm going through How To Draw by Scott Robertson. I am finally getting some shit straight. It's more clear than the others I mentioned.

>> No.1916049

Does one have to push the values in every picture for maximum contrast?

I always hear that a problem many beginners have is that their pictures feel flat or muddy because all their values are very close to each other. That's why I'm constantly worrying about if my values are varied enough. On the other hand, not every scene has very strong lighting which would spread out the values a lot...
I just don't know anymore. Any opinions?

>> No.1916053

>>1916032
look fine to me(not an expert though)

>> No.1916058
File: 134 KB, 372x674, Screen Shot 2014-12-12 at 12.15.01 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1916049
You just move up and down the value scale. You don't need to go from true black to pure white every object, but you shouldn't make it muddy just because it's dark.

>> No.1916063
File: 831 KB, 854x1300, Screen Shot 2014-12-12 at 12.19.42 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1916058
You also may want to "cheat" the darkness a little by giving brighter points than might be expected to allow certain elements to pop, add visual excitement, and assist the composition.

If everything is just dark without and real light emphasizing any of the elements, it'd just be boring to look at.

>> No.1916066
File: 634 KB, 1790x728, 20141210.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1915868
oh yeah, i did it the other day too, forgot to post. i fucked up a lot of it though (back, neck, etc) but yeah here's another for the pile

>> No.1916067

>>1916058
>5 values are choosen

according to scott robertson, the darker an object is, the less value you can choose from.

example:
you have a white cube with a true value of 0.
it's value range would be between 1 and 5(5 would be the color of the cube's shaded side).
and then you have a cube with a true value of 8(so its true color is dark grey) and you will end up with a value range between 8 and 9.

my point is: this conflicts with the chart you posted, where you have always a value range of 5.

>> No.1916071

>>1916063
In picture you may note it's a pretty dark (in terms of lighting) scene, but a great deal of contrast is used to help the elements pop.

Red Skull's dark head is set against a brighter background. He's given an interesting, strong underlit lightsource, but due to his value range the brightest part of his head is not as bright as the background, informing you of light and details but still allowing contrast. With these elements even though his head is dark overall, it really pops and draws your eye. In a photo of a similar situation, Captain America and Namor would probably not be so brightly lit save for a spotlight being shined directly on them. But the artist chose to give them a strong lightsource so they stood out from the rest of the elements and your eye is drawn to them. Note the highlighting on Cap's chest (bearing his iconic symbols) and Namor's trident helping to inform the viewer what they're looking at without having to have the characters fully lit.

>> No.1916074
File: 1.92 MB, 1414x1498, Screen Shot 2014-12-12 at 12.32.59 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1916067
You're right, certainly as an object reaches the extremes of the value scales, it has less opportunity for contrast. However as artists it is up to us to successfully describe objects to make visual interest for our viewers. For objects you want to pop/stand out, you will need contrast.

The 5 value idea doesn't always apply, however. In a situation where an object may not naturally have the contrast needed, I think it's ok to push the values a little more and include some that will really enhance your piece.

>> No.1916078

>>1916074
ok, i was just making sure i understood everything correctly.

you are totally right, you can and should bend the rules, but to do that you have to know them.
how well something reads is probably one of the most important aspects of any piece.

>> No.1916097

>>1914958
Like.. the lasso tool you mean? Not sure what you're talking about.

>> No.1916102
File: 1.50 MB, 4000x4000, Obsession with Succubus Part 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Well I got this thing, drawn on SAI.

Not finished yet, but probably need some coloring tips to make flesh not look, like that?

>> No.1916111
File: 211 KB, 685x1080, watching.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Could someone point out the anatomy mistakes please? Besides the arms being way too short. I'dlike to fix them before I go into further rendering.

>> No.1916114
File: 557 KB, 1004x444, Screen shot 2011-01-24 at 4.58.32 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1916111
neck muscles are a little off. they should attach at a V between the clavicles

>> No.1916115
File: 23 KB, 320x480, valdaf06paco_rabanne.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1916114
nother pic

>> No.1916117
File: 17 KB, 280x390, ladyneck.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1916115
one more

>> No.1916118

>>1916043
A fellow beginner is always nice xD we can help each other out xDAnd I'll look up the book xD

>> No.1916125
File: 24 KB, 310x313, 1409020970673.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1916118
Can't tell if hateful autist

>> No.1916146

why does the backlight shadow construction work, where the vp for the light rays is below the horizon? in reality the sun is always above the horizon line.

>> No.1916170

Tips for getting the head or general anatomy construction down?

Been working with loomis, but his circle shenanigans are beginning to feel tired and Fun With Drawing seems to suddenly drop the circles and rush straight into complicated box shit. I've switched to Drawing the Head and the Hands and am basically doing a mirrion sketches of the sliced circle diagrams and trying to get a feel for it.

>> No.1916182

>>1915608
>My aim is to git gud or die trying.
I'm gonna make that my new catchphrase now.

>> No.1916193

>>1916125
No, just someone who wants to learn and needs halp x-x

>> No.1916195

>>1916170
>>1915998
>>1916170

Same guy here. This is my progress w/ heads. Moving into more complex construction now, very pleased with my own progress.

>> No.1916196
File: 533 KB, 1152x2048, Head2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1916195

Forgot my picture.....

>> No.1916239

Anyone have an idea for what book I should study from next? I've done fun with a pencil and skimmed through Drawing the Head and Hands/Perspective Made Easy (I felt like I already learned most of what's in those books from Proko and others). I feel lost on what the next step should be.

>> No.1916253

>>1916111
In addition to the mentioned neck muscles, the collarbone is too low out on the sides, it should go above the shoulder as it ends, bending more upwards.

His right tit is a lot meatier than his left one. If anything it should be stretched out more like the left one is, because of how his arm is moved out further.

Pelvis looks a bit meaty compared to the rest of him, should be a lot more bone happening. The pelvis is very prominent on starved people, get some refs.

>> No.1916272

>>1916239
I'd go with gesture and full-body construction. Try
Michael Hampton- Figure Drawing - Design and Invention

Maybe a book about the proportions of the body on the side as well. I sort of used Loomis's Figure Draw and youtube tutorials for that.

>> No.1916311

>>1916102
Well, just focusing on painting skin for now—darker flesh tones ought to tend to more saturated red hues before going to dark tones. Remember, you got blood vessels down there.

>> No.1916327

>>1916037

>> No.1916359
File: 1003 KB, 2711x2038, Bigsketch2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I feel like these are really meh. How do I make it less meh.

>> No.1916364
File: 1006 KB, 1280x1754, 1382472241217.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1916359
is number 4 suppossed to be this guy?

>> No.1916373
File: 1.10 MB, 3104x1746, DSC_0005.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just made this with erasable ink cartrige, a small shitty fake chinese brush and water.
I Nevers drew with ink before but i like it, i know Its bad but i like it.

>> No.1916376

I have no idea what to prioritize

my perspective sucks ass so I go to figure drawing
my figures keep sucking ass so now im trying to go back value studies.

I'm a self-learner and I have no idea how to organize my efforts or make my own learning schedule for this.

>> No.1916383

>>1916364

Yeah... Is it hard to tell?

>> No.1916400
File: 172 KB, 320x240, ponch.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

tried to study with animation, got lazy and didn't want to finish.

>> No.1916409

>>1916400
fist looks odd

>> No.1916414

>>1916043
>Right now I'm going through How To Draw by Scott Robertson.
I've been told that it's too advanced for a complete beginner. How do you feel with it?

I'm a scrub and even Keys to Drawing is a bit weird for me. Mostly because you go into drawing portraits halfway through. I'm starting Figure Drawing to see if it's less alien to me.

>> No.1916415
File: 99 KB, 3200x1800, 1212wip.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1913742

>> No.1916417

>>1916376
Same here. I just ask, get different opinions from everyone to the point that I can't follow one in particular, and try random books.

The so called beginner books fuck me over with some exercises, so I'm not even sure what to do anymore. I just keep grinding, trying another book on the side, and hope for the best.

>> No.1916423
File: 244 KB, 1045x822, 001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Saw somewhere that it's a good exercise to draw a movie. For the last few days I've been working on this one. I dunno if I'm approaching it the right way, I tried to do it just with black and white shapes but that was a little too advanced. Right now I feel I'm learning a bit about staging, which is good. About six hours into it and just hit the hour mark.

>> No.1916440

>>1916414
I'm only 50 pages in. At this point it has been 100% perspective.

This is the first resource that made me understand perspective basics properly. I can actually construct at grid and I understand the importance of the station point, and I know how to set vanishing points past the "just put them far apart from each other".

It feels good to not have so much guess work involved. I feel like Loomis asks you to accept some facts without explaining them.

However, How To Draw is also kind of dry. Compared to Loomis there is not much preaching. I don't mind it being dry and to the point.

>> No.1916442

>>1916440
Me again.

As I mentioned earlier, I've already spent some time with Loomis and Norling regarding perspective, so it might be all these resources combined that lets me finally get it.

>> No.1916443

>>1916423
The main point is probably to learn about composition, might be what you mean by "staging." Seems you are going about it fine, looks like a fun exercise to try.

>> No.1916448

>>1916443

Thats half of what I meant. The other half is just learning how to draw people interacting with each other and their environments in a natural way. I definitely think I'm hitting on that.

>> No.1916481
File: 96 KB, 763x1037, Facesketch.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1916359

And from imagination. Much, much worse :(

>> No.1916484

>>1915636
Much better than i

>> No.1916638
File: 2.35 MB, 2112x1994, 20141210_154812-1-1 (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1916673
File: 53 KB, 560x601, Set up.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

These shapes are not working for me

>> No.1916677
File: 110 KB, 3200x1800, 1212wip.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1916415
Worked on it a bit.. i always get stuck at this stage of my paintings though :/

>> No.1916696

>>1916677
The head is very small. I can see that you are keeping the negative space between the head and forearm in mind which is good, but the arm was too short to begin with, which is probably what threw you off. Also, the side of her face isn't pressed up against her arm like in the reference.

>> No.1916715
File: 390 KB, 1600x800, study.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

here's my first digital figure sketch. it seems like its going to take a while to get used to this.

>> No.1916759

Best sites/sets to do gesture drawings? I am a complete noob, but /ic/ has convinced me to try my hand at gestures for a few weeks/months. Is quickposes the best around, or is there something else I could/should use?

>> No.1916842

>>1916759
Yeah quickposes is pretty guud, theres also pixel lovely. Or you could just google nude figures. Just need pics of people m8

>> No.1916926

New >>1916925

>> No.1916968

>>1914949
>>1914988

lol, its ms paint. The pencil brush, not the pencil tool

>> No.1917043
File: 269 KB, 374x334, 1383252638094.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1914651

>> No.1917285
File: 39 KB, 297x388, 5.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1916968
Thanks, you are the man.

>> No.1918807

I want to git gud and learn how to draw attractive, expressive men and women, followed by colorful animals, and nice landscapes. Should I follow this format when I teach myself?
> gesture -> anatomy -> perspective -> value -> color