[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ic/ - Artwork/Critique

View post   

File: 108 KB, 1000x1000, weightedline.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1896155 No.1896155 [Reply] [Original]

Someone please explain line weight and how it's used for inking to me.
When inking I always squander the pressure on the pen and get wobbly lines in return. I'd rather ink with a ruler or no pressure sensitivity and add the line weight later.
Anyone else have this problem?

>> No.1896168

It's just practice... Line weight has a lot to do with feeling, but a rule is that parts who receive more light should be thinner, the same goes for distant things. You can add a heavier line when the flesh makes a circle or members intersect.

The best way to study is to observe artists that you admire and analyze why they use some line weights and when.

>> No.1896249

Line weight eventually comes without even thinking about it. It becomes muscle memory.

>> No.1896268

>>1896249

Eh. I can't say I agree with this. If you keep drawing people it doesn't necessarily mean you'll pick up on all the figure's anatomical. At some point you have do sit down and focus in on things to really get them.

For OP, most people usually do do their sketch and then ink it/apply line weight later. What you're trying is direct drawing, which is just you going for it, but that's a skill that takes a long, long, long, long fucking while to develop, which is why so many people have a hard-on for Kim Jung Gi.

Here's Scott Robinson talking about it line weight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0zl5NnEAyU

>> No.1896275

>>1896155
I remember when I was first introduced to line weight I was told dumb stuff like "oh long lines get thin and where line intersect or are close it gets thicker". Then later after I stared studying other shit I realized it's actually fake lighting, most of all fake ambient occlusion.

>> No.1896293

>>1896268
Thanks
>>1896275
Can you maybe explain the ambient occlusion aspect a bit more?
I'd be very interested to get that broken down to simple facts even a buffoon like me can understand.

My main problem is that many sketches lose all their weight and shapes and turn into flat symbols while inking.
This is annoying and I want to improve my inking.

>> No.1896428
File: 474 KB, 1000x2700, c2k4FF6.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1897052

bump

>> No.1897070

>>1896268
>Not thinking about how much pressure your muscles should put onto your pencil
>Not having to think of every single muscle, bone, in the human body and how it's proportionally structured

See, isn't that such a retarded analogy? There's a massive fucking difference, the only way you get good at having nice lines is drawing a lot

>> No.1897078

Take the time to learn to ink with a brush.

Watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7biI9qGKYD4

>> No.1898114

>>1897078
>ink with a brush.
yeah no